Biker Chicz Of North America

Since the early 1990’s, the number of female riders has increased exponentially. For all manufacturers women are their new “emerging market.” Depending of the brand, female buyers and riders may represent 10 to 18 percent of the clientele. And even during these long recession years there is no perceived economic, social or cultural reasons while this trend will not continue during the next decade. Quite the opposite, and it is a topic that I would like to develop in future posts.

Writers have noticed too and more books are written by men and women focusing  on these ladies enjoying motorcycling for the simple and unique pleasure of casual riding but also embracing many other linked activities like racing, publishing, raising money for diverse charities, promoting the sport to other women, building motorcycles, painting them, engraving chrome or designing parts and gear conceived for them.

But who are today in North America the most influential women of our industry? In Biker Chicz of North America, Edward Winterhalder and Wil De Clercq have compiled in-depth profiles of twenty-two fascinating women who ride motorcycles. Each chapter features an individual whose life story is compelling, intriguing, fascinating, and inspirational. If all share some attributes like freethinking, intelligence, courage, tenacity, each of them had a very different life itinerary but leading them all to become bikers. Whatever the reason why it happened, choice, lack of money to buy a car, encouraged by a male partner or to overcome adversity, etc. all these women with very different backgrounds, educations, professions and personalities (either loners, mothers, artists, singers, rebels, etc) share the same values about life and what should be true relations between human beings.

Although I know personally some of the 22 women featured in this book, I thought I would not learn much about them. As a matter of fact some details I discovered make perfect sense to explain why they are so involved, one way or the other, in our industry. I see Biker Chicz Of North America as an inspirational tale for all women who have thought about riding but never took action, but it is also a book that all male bikers should read to understand, appreciate and respect even more all female riders that they meet on or at the end of the road.

Written by Edward Winterhalder, whose previous books and producing TV work made him one of the world’s leading authorities on motorcycle clubs, the Harley-Davidson biker lifestyle, and the creator and executive producer of the “Living on the Edge” docu-reality TV series and the “Biker Chicz” docu-reality TV series. He was assisted by Wil De Clercq a freelance writer/editor and visual artist. 320 pages. Order online by jumping to Biker Chicz Of North America.

The 22 Chicz: Cris Sommer-Simmons, Mandy Rossmeyer Campbell, Lucky Belcamino, Gevin Fax,  Becky Brown, Betsy Huelskamp, Gina Woods, Laura Klock, Deborah DiMiceli, Vicki Roberts Sanfelipo, Pepper Massey, Sasha Mullins, Lorrie Penteluke, JoAnn Begey Bortles, Lauralee “Freedom” Conklin, Meg Mc Donough, Marilyn Elmore Bragg, Catherine Katmandu Palmer, Gloria Tramontin Struck, Banshee “The Lost Soul”, Andrea Perrino, Danni Stockley.

19 Responses to “Biker Chicz Of North America”

1. 1 Joe Nov 18th, 2010 at 8:36 am

This is one I will have to read. Another great one is Melissa Pierson’s The Perfect Vehicle.

2. 2 Debra Selmy Nov 18th, 2010 at 10:49 am

Thanks Cyril. You made me order 3 for my girlfriends.

3. 3 Wil De Clercq Nov 18th, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Thanks for the kind words about Biker Chicz of North America, Cyril.

Best,
    Wil De Clercq

4. 4 ROGUE Nov 19th, 2010 at 7:26 am

I know Ed Winterhalder personally and when he contacted me about doing this book I told him I thought it was a great idea and I also suggested some of the women he was to eventually interview.
    Some of the women in the book are like sisters to me while others are good friends. I believe that Ed and Wil did a great job telling the world about them as well as the others in the book.
    I found the book entertaining and informative and think that anyone who reads it will as well.
    It sounds like Debra has the right idea about getting a copy for friends for Christmas.
    I would also like to thank the wonderful women in the book for all that they have done and do for motorcycling and also the many others that did not make it into the book.

5. 5 JoAnn Bortles Nov 19th, 2010 at 8:50 am

I am so honored to be in the company of these incredible and inspirational women. Like Cyril, I am enjoying finding out the ladies’ backgrounds and stories told in the book.

6. 6 Sam Nov 19th, 2010 at 10:11 am

How many of these women ever kick started a motorcycle?

7. 7 Sasha Nov 19th, 2010 at 10:36 am

Oh gosh. It is an honor to be amongst all these great ladies in the book. I am very grateful for the opportunity. Riding my motorcycle has been the key to my soul bursting to life. She kickstarted my divine existence. Yep. My motorcycle kickstarted me.

8. 8 Grayhawk Nov 19th, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Hey Sam, listen to the kickstarting – ass kicking ladies music, Sasha that is, I just listened to her single Ridelicious.

Sasha to you pretty impressive, driven, one can almost see your soul, believe your gonna do well; Best Wishes.

9. 9 Cris Sommer Simmons Nov 19th, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I was up late reading the book last night. Incredible stories ( and I’m not talking about myself! ). Though I am so proud to be in the company of these women. They inspire me every day.
    Kick start, you say? Bring it on, that’s not a problem. I just kicked a 1915 Harley for almost 3,000 miles on the Cannonball.
    Besides, I’m sure there are guys who can’t kickstart a motorcycle. I know… I’ve seen ’em! It’s not how you start the bike anyway, it’s all about the ride…

10. 10 Harley Guy Nov 19th, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Hey Sam, Many men are insecure about their masculinity. Don’t feel bad, I’m sure any of these ladies would be happy to help you kick star your bike. That is what you you were asking about, wasn’t it?

11. 11 ROGUE Nov 19th, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Naughty Sam

These ladies have been kickstarting motorcycles for a long time and ride them long distances.
    If you are ever so lucky to be around them try keeping up with them. They will flat wear you out.
    ROGUE

12. 12 ROGUE Nov 19th, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Sam
    I forgot to ask Have You Ever Kickstarted A Motorcycle?
    If so was it bigger than a 250 cc?

13. 13 Chessie Nov 19th, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Being a part of this book along with the other 21 gals is an honor. Thank you Rogue for suggesting me to Edward…Learning more about the other 21 ladies has been an even larger privilege for me. To be included with these movers and shakers staggers me. I’m just a rider…but it is my life and has been for a damn long time.

All I can say is: If I wasn’t already a rider…I would be after reading the bio’s of these fantastic women. As for kick starting a bike…I kick started my bikes for years before I got one with an electric start. I have the knee to prove it.

14. 14 Frankie Kennedy Nov 19th, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I will make it a point to read this I know many female riders and certainly enjoy thier company on rides, in fact i can think of many gals that i would much rather ride with than some of the wanna be guys out there.

15. 15 Lauralee Freedom Conklin Nov 22nd, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Love your insite on Biker Chicz of North America and I’m throughly enjoying reading every word right now. I’m listed on page 196 and I second the comment Chessie made two above. I also thank Rogue, Ed & Wil and all the great women involved. I’m looking forward to meeting you all hopefull in Daytona in 2011!!!
    1 down 4 up and twist that wick!!!
    SAM’s comment about kickstarting… BTW, I kick started my bikes from one side of our nation to the otherside; North South East and West ….again and again and again for close to 10 years. I lived on the road, going cross country for close to 10 years! Psssst I also helped kick start others scoots when the riders got winded and sometimes helped wrench on them and adjust them so they wouldn’t have to kick them so much. Lets see how well you can crank up one like Cris Summer Simmons scoot “Effie”….hah hah hah….NOT!!!

16. 16 live2rideaglide Nov 23rd, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Great idea , Where do I join? Glide-n-girls.

17. 17 Gina Woods Nov 23rd, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I’m with you there Chessie…I’ve been kicking my Panhead for 18 years and have the knee to prove it! Thank goodness there are a few other steeds in my stall these days…. And how exciting to read about you and these other women! Some I know well – others I know of – but what fantastic reading!

Good job Ed & Will I knew it would be polished!

Look forward to meeting all – and sharing MORE stories!

Gina Woods
    Open Road Radio

18. 18 Hark Nov 29th, 2010 at 9:43 am

Sam,

How many woman have kick started a motorcycle……why should that matter? Few kick start anymore. Still…..I remember 35 years ago a girl that road a 650 bonniville…..she kicked it with the best of um. She road it with the best of um also. Girl riders are great for the motorcycle industry, many lady clubs are doing a whole lot of good for people in need. We have one here in Florida that is ran by a gal named SunDancer that raises a lot of money.

Great article Cyril.

Hark

1. 1 Tweets that mention Biker Chicz Of North America at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on Nov 18th, 2010 at 8:10 am
Crusher