Confederate Launches A Third Generation Hellcat

Confederate President Matt Chambers loves to talk and write about his company motorcycles, and it’s always in a romantic language applied to everything mechanical. To not betray the way he feels about design, riders, motorcycles…and of his new C3 X132 Hellcat, let’s listen to him. ” This third generation Hellcat represents an impassioned, romantic, genuinely emotional evolutionary journey for the great many men and woman who have, over 20 years, poured their hearts into the challenge of making each Confederate Hellcat an honest, iconic, fiercely American example of heirloom quality and design”. “In keeping with Confederate design heritage, classic understated yet very progressive American design minimalism drives acutely focused product substance. There is no contrivance; nothing is superfluous. The machine is a showcase for the individualist craftsmanʼs sacred vow to never compromise truth and to take nothing away, illuminating limitless effort committed to the highest form of hand-made craftsmanship.”

Now, you want to know more. First, let’s talk  about the “Hell” part (engine & transmission) of the Hellcat C3 X132. Heart of the beast is a 6061 aircraft grade machined billet aluminum 132 cubic inch Copperhead Engine, square (4.4 inch bore; 4.4 inch stroke) developed in alliance with S&S Cycle. . Engine cylinders are at 56° angle for reduced piston interference and less vibration. The unitized case construction is machined from a 400 pound block of 6061 aircraft grade aluminum carved into 37 pounds of core mot. Torque is announced at 145 foot pounds. Horsepower not disclosed. Copperhead engine is three belt-driven cams in a unique configuration that provides straight pushrod angles to all valves. A one-piece forged crankshaft with automotive style, plain bearing connecting rods and plain main bearings offers greater load capacity, increased engine durability and reduced noise. The cylinder heads are designed with automotive style low mass rocker arms and a unique cross-flow wedge style combustion chamber.  The fuel system consists of an S&S single bore throttle body and Variable Fuel Injection module, which boasts dual closed loop feedback for fuel control and knock sensing ignition. Oil pump is Gerotor style. Powertrain solution is devised for massive low RPM torque deployment and using a patented Confederate design system. This proven drag race derived system is designed, specified and built to maintain perfect crankshaft to output shaft alignment, irrespective of the suddenness or magnitude of torque application. Matt Chambers states that this system can take a beating without failing. Transmission is Confederate proprietary design, 5-speed close ratio with Bandit slim design dry clutch drive system with massive patented output bearing support system.
pivot
Regarding design, the “Cat” part of the Hellcat, Matt Chambers says “We have adopted a minimalist, holistic, avant-garde design imperative. Our goal is to be on the cutting edge of an exciting, innovative and relevant American design initiative”. Chassis is 3 inch 120 wall hard steel backbone, 2 inch 120 wall hard steel down tube hand tig weld fabrication. Two available configurations: Fighter series: 23.5° rake; 4.1 inch trail; 61.5 inch wheelbase Roadster series: 30° rake; 4.25 inch trail; 64.5 inch wheelbase. Gas tank is 4.75 gallons aircraft grade aluminum. Wheels are Carbon fiber, front: 3.5” 17”, rear 6” x 17” with carbon ceramic rotors pinched by Dual Brembo 4 piston monoblock calipers.

Hellcat C3 X 132 is listed at $45,000 with a pre-payment of 5% ($1,050.00). Complete Powertrain is available separately for $21,000.00 with a pre-payment of 5% ($1,050.00 USD) Founded in 1991 in Baton Rouge, Confederate Motors, Inc. designs and handcrafts limited series built, uncompromised motorcycles for the motoring purist. The company has locations in Birmingham, Alabama and New Orleans, Louisiana. More info at Confederate Motors and Work And Cycle.

32 Responses to “Confederate Launches A Third Generation Hellcat”

1. 1 morriscustom Dec 6th, 2010 at 8:30 am

Where does this guy keep getting his money at??I love these bikes,but I would like to see some sales figures.I personally have never seen one going down the highway.

2. 2 Jeremy Dec 6th, 2010 at 8:44 am

Money seems to come from investors (Matt Chambers has exhausted a few ones) , is smart as getting subventions, last one from the city of New Orleans.

3. 3 Clint Dec 6th, 2010 at 8:47 am

Interesting bike but only because of the special S&S engine.

4. 4 Andrew Dec 6th, 2010 at 9:33 am

Morriscustom where do you live? It would seem pretty obvious to me that you just aren’t paying attention, because unless you live in the middle of nowhere Confederate bikes can be found cruising down most highways. I don’t know Chambers but he seems pretty smart to me, how many other high end motorcycle companies do you see who have survived the last 5 years let alone something like the 20 or so years Confederat e has been at it. Even if you don’t like the newest product, why disrespect the brand? Have you got something better up your sleeve? I say way to go Confederate. Ignore the ignorant.

5. 5 Otis Dec 6th, 2010 at 9:45 am

Wicked. Simply wicked design! Kudos for having the balls to be different!

6. 6 zyon Dec 6th, 2010 at 10:43 am

Andrew, I’ve been around motorcycles for 33 years now and I’ve never seen one of his motorcycles roaming free on the highway. I’m not so sure what bur got up your butt but morriscustom said he loved the motorcycle but had never seen one. I personally think the bike looks over done. So I guess I’m a hater that should be silenced. To each their own! Guess you must be one of those investors looking for your payday….

7. 7 mike corbin Dec 6th, 2010 at 1:15 pm

A lot going on there..

8. 8 Hondo Cat Dec 6th, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I agree with Clint. The only thing that interests me regarding that bike is the S&S Cycle/Confederate collaboration 132ci X-Wedge, 6061 aircraft grade machined billet aluminum, square (4.4 inch bore; 4.4 inch stroke) Copperhead Engine.

9. 9 IAN Dec 6th, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Much preferred the look of the last version – this looks a bit clunky to me.

10. 10 Hondo Cat Dec 6th, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I suspect I’ll prefer Dar Holdsworth’s Rahal/Letterman Racing RLX Cafe Racer that utilizes S&S Cycle’s 132ci X-Wedge for power over this Confederate model.

11. 11 dantheautomator Dec 6th, 2010 at 2:33 pm

“Confederate Launches A Third Generation Hellcat”
    maybe Confederate Launches A Third Generation of CGI Hellcat is more appropriate.

12. 12 Vlad Dec 6th, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Looks sort of like an Americanized Ducati Monster.

13. 13 Bleeding Ears Dec 6th, 2010 at 8:49 pm

It’s only a CAD drawing, and not a very good one at that. There never was and never will be a “Copperhead Engine” or a “Third Generation Hellcat.” There aren’t enough suckers left to fleese, but if you want to be a chump Andrew go ahead send Matt Chambers a deposit of $1050.00 USD.

“I like loud pipes”

14. 14 Seymour Dec 6th, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Yeah,… I don’t know. Somewhere along the line, Confederate lost their… thing that they had.

I like the engine.

15. 15 Johnson Dec 6th, 2010 at 8:59 pm

I hear that Confederate sold less than 5 bikes in 2009 (Matt Chambers can reply and for the record state his numbers here in Cyril’s Blog for everybody to see). So, how this company is still in business? Not with profit from sales…I agree that the Copperhead engine will never be produced.

16. 16 Doc Robinson Dec 7th, 2010 at 7:29 am

Wow. America’s might was built on free thinking dreamers a who got out there and made it happen. Matt Chambers certainly fits that bill but again, as happens so often on the blog, almost everyone seems to be a knocker. This is high end, high tech motorcycling. This is not GM or Ford, but more like Ferrari or Aston Martin. Every American should be proud of, and supportive of these motorcycles, whether or not you would buy one or could even afford to. I’ve ridden several earlier Confederates and they went like stink and handled like a dream.

17. 17 morriscustom Dec 7th, 2010 at 8:36 am

Andrew……I said I loved the bike…by the way I live in Florida,about an hour and a half from New Orleans,3 hours from Birmingham where Confederate was before?!?!?

18. 18 Crocker Motorcycle Co. / Michael Schacht Dec 7th, 2010 at 9:47 am

Beautiful work Matt!

19. 19 mack Dec 7th, 2010 at 10:00 am

Love it!…..if I ever win the lottery I’ve always said the very first thing I would buy is a hellcat….how can anyone knock matts work…….I just think when you look at it u see something that’s pretty unique,and a whole lot of quality craftsmanship…..I haven’t. Ridden. A crotch rocket in 20 years but that thing just makes you want to jump on and rip ,seems like anyone would …keep it up matt great stuff

20. 20 martin Twofeather Dec 7th, 2010 at 10:09 am

Matt: you did great,now let us hope the economy gets better……………….

21. 21 NoH2Oh Dec 7th, 2010 at 10:41 am

Hope he builds as many as he can make, but this bike is not to my taste or budget$$ for that matter.

Mr.Chambers needs to get a certain JT Nesbitt back….

22. 22 cwglide Dec 7th, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I have always admired Confederate’s out of the box thinking, and innovations. Looks like this motor was based off the X-Wedge. Curious about the exhaust note of this motor. Not my kind of motorcycle I would own personally, but you have to admire the design, and innovation even though its on paper. Genius!

23. 23 cwglide Dec 7th, 2010 at 12:33 pm

AMEN DOC!!!!!

24. 24 burnout Dec 7th, 2010 at 5:21 pm

The Confederate bikes are so far out there, but, rideable and nice looking. peace

25. 25 RUB Dec 7th, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I’d rather have a road king and ride it ………………………….

26. 26 Matt Olsen Dec 7th, 2010 at 9:46 pm

these bikes are awesome. I would like to own one.

27. 27 Bigal Dec 7th, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Good Navigating, that’s what it takes to keep your Factory open and your Employees paid in times like these. Matt got some moves and He needs all of them to Build $80,000 – $120,000 Bikes in times like these. I think it’s great that you can put this Hellcat on the Market for $45,000. I know one think for sure, I don’t believe anybody out there will be copying your design, Matt ! No one is going to Build this Bike for $45K. Looks like if you want a Hellcat you got to buy it from Confederate. Zyon, my Hellcat was at the Toy Run last weekend.

28. 28 R.Alan Dec 8th, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I’m lookin’ at the seat and wonderin’ what happens to your rear end, followed by the rest of your body when you nail this sucker… What keeps your butt glued down? That bike has to be ferocious off the line.

29. 29 Quint w/HogRadio.net Dec 9th, 2010 at 12:24 am

Right on Doc! American ingenuity and entrepreneurship, gotta love it. More power to you, Matt and Confederate. The bike’s not to my taste but that’s what makes the world go around. Massive looking engine.

30. 30 nuno maroco Dec 15th, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I like it alot, if they build it maybe have good sucess sales.Good luck.

31. 31 Sasha Dec 15th, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I absolutely love Confederate bikes.

1. 1 Tweets that mention Confederate Launches A Third Generation Hellcat at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on Dec 6th, 2010 at 8:38 am
Crusher