Fast Motorcycle Industry News

Arnold Schwarzenegger Motorcyclist Of the Year. The AMA Annual Award  is given every year to the person who has had the most profound impact on the world of motorcycling, for better or worse. Congratulations to California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, whose signature is on a controversial law to regulate motorcycle exhaust systems to address excessive motorcycle sound, deserving to be the man of the year with the worst influence on the motorcycle industry . “Gov. Schwarzenegger signed a piece of legislation that has rocked the motorcycling world, and will impact motorcyclists in other states as well for years to come,” said AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman. “This makes him the logical choice for the 2010 AMA Motorcyclist of the Year.” Unanimously, this bill has been condemned by motorcycle groups and associations. It is a poorly crafted piece of legislation that’s discriminatory and does little to address the core problem of excessive sound from all sources, not just motorcycles” Dingman adda “Rather than objectively regulate offensive noise, this law creates all sorts of problems for riders, law enforcement and aftermarket manufacturers.”

Triumph Motorcycles. Advanstar Communications is pleased to announce the return of Triumph Motorcycles to the Progressive International Motorcycle Shows nationwide series, a 12-city tour. The first stop for Triumph will be the Progressive International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach Friday, December 17 through Sunday, December 19. Triumph will unveil the largest new product line-up in the company’s 109-year history,  allowing attendees to be among the first in the United States to see the new bikes. Demo rides will also be available on select Triumph models for licensed riders. To get the full tour calendar, go to Motorcycle Shows.

Ethanol Controversy. In May 2009, I explained the issues raised regarding the percentage of ethanol combined with unleaded gasoline as offered at your gas station. Today about 80% of America’s gasoline contains some ethanol, most is this E10 blend (10% ethanol and 90% unleaded gasoline) Many car drivers, boaters and bikers have stated that Ethanol in gasoline lowers performance, damages engines, fuel handling systems and fuel tanks. “Ethyl alcohol” is an excellent solvent and is hydroscopic, that is it adsorbs water. Acting as a solvent, it would appear that ethanol can damage and dissolve some tank sealants that can be ingested by the engine which can cause damage. Ethanol has also a cleaning effect on tanks that releases fine metallic particles passing through most fuel filters. The dissolved metals will clog fuel injector nozzles and carburetors. Ethanol added to a fuel tank contaminated with water will cause expensive repairs. The water in the tank will combine with the ethyl alcohol to produce a noncombustible layer of liquid in the tanks that will stop most engines cold. On October 13, 2010, the Environmental Protection Agency partially allowed fuel and fuel additive manufacturers to introduce into commerce gasoline that contains up to 15 vol % ethanol (E15) for use in certain motor vehicles once certain other conditions are fulfilled. It is important to remember that there are a number of additional steps that must be completed to allow the sale and distribution of E15. These include submission of a complete E15 fuels registration application by industry and changes to some states’ laws to allow for the use of E15.

For now, What Vehicles May Use E15? MY2007 and newer cars. MY2007 and newer light-duty trucks. MY2007 and newer medium-duty passenger vehicles. What Vehicles and Engines May Not Use E15? All motorcycles. All vehicles with heavy-duty engines, such as school buses, transit buses, and delivery trucks. All off-road vehicles, such as boats and snowmobiles. All engines in off-road equipment, such as lawnmowers and chain saws. All MY2000 and older cars, light-duty trucks, and SUVs. All 2001-2006 cars, light-duty trucks, and medium-duty passenger vehicles

10 Responses to “Fast Motorcycle Industry News”

1. 1 Wiz Dec 13th, 2010 at 3:51 am

They don’t call old Arnold “The Terminator” fer nothin’!! Wiz

2. 2 bigalyts Dec 13th, 2010 at 9:23 am

The best thing Arnold did was hook up with. The Beautiful, Maria Shriver! It has been a downward slide since.

3. 3 Jeff Nicklus Dec 13th, 2010 at 10:59 am

bigalyts,

OMG …. LOL!

Over & Out,

Jeff

4. 4 FRED Dec 13th, 2010 at 12:24 pm

A fitting award for doing such damage to our industry, he rides yet sells out. A TRUE POS. The bill is likely to change the landscape for shops and motorcycle owners in California. He’s washed up both politically and as an actor (its surprising that someone with a face only a mother could love could get so far as a C actor). And, it surprising a no good steroid taking drug user could become a governor. That in an of itself is a sad commentary on the State of California.

What a hypocrite.

5. 5 Darin Maltsberger - Instructor @MTI Dec 13th, 2010 at 2:25 pm

While Arnold may have made a huge “impact”, sometimes it is better not to acknowledge an individual for their lack of understanding for a situation. I wish the AMA would have taken this approach. With this award, even though it is for his lack of forethought, he gets his name brought up in countless circles like many other worthless politicians. Keeping their name in front of the public is how they get re-elected. Just my opinion.

On to the subject of Ethanol. A few facts that I can provide from the materials that I teach in my classes:
    1. Ethanol is less efficient in anything it is used in because the hydrocarbon molecules have a lower density ratio than regular gasoline. E10, E15……….higher the Ethanol % = lower performance and lower mileage.
    2. Many aftermarket exhaust manufacturers will not warrant pipe finish complaints if you have operated your bike with Ethanol. Ethanol will cause exhaust header temps to rise, possibly discoloring your pipes.
    3. In South Dakota………I cannot speak for other states, The fuel delivery equipment frequently gets cross contamination between regular,E10 and premium gasolines. The “branded fuels” stand a much better chance of staying “pure” than the cut-rate and regional chains. My students sampled 16 stations in and around Mitchell,SD and found Ethanol in 6 samples that were supposed to be premium fuel during the month of November. Know your fuel.
    4. As Cyril stated, small engines and motorcycles built prior to 2007, are not designed to deal with the rate of burn issues and combustion temp issues associated with ethanol at this time. This doesn’t mean that Ethanol is bad, it just means that there are places that it probably shouldn’t be used yet. Your autoombile is a much larger engine with more mass and a larger more efficient cooling system and the ability to take in a larger air charge than your motorcycle. That’s why it works there. In time I believe engineers will develope the technology to make it work even on the smallest engines.
    5. The water attracting action of Ethanol. It can be devastating if allowed to stand over the off season in a fuel tank or carb. I reccommended that my customers started stabilizing fuel when we started seeing E10 and have continued that advice with my students. The fuel stabilizer will help control the reactivity that occurrs sooner with Ethanol blends.

I don’t have the answers, most of this same info is available from the API (Associated Petroleum Institute) or from research done by most fuel suppliers. I do know Ethanol is here, and like it or not, isn’t going away anytime soon.

-Darin

6. 6 Scot Dec 13th, 2010 at 3:44 pm

bigalyts,

Didn’t he marry Skeletor?

I honestly thought the AMA award was a joke…

7. 7 Wiz Dec 14th, 2010 at 5:57 am

Darin, Boy, You sure know yer stuff! Got room in yer class [right now I have none] for and old, stupid, scooter tramp? A little trick I found for the old bikes that are supposed to burn leaded fuels is put about a capfull of Marvel Mystery Oil in each tank at fillup, works better than any lead additive. That red stuff is great an’ smells good too! Put it in the oil, gas, tranny, everything! I don’t think I’ll drink it though. Although I’ve drank everything else in my old days. Humm, Marvel an’ rum, might be good! When are you going to have me speak at your class, talked to alot of your students lately that are fired up for it. A field trip to my shop would be enlightening for you an’ yer inquisitive little minds you are in charge of. I got many wonderful things to show you. I’m here for you. Thanks, Wiz, Freebird Custom Motorcycles @ 605-359-2876

8. 8 Darin Maltsberger - Instructor @MTI Dec 14th, 2010 at 8:38 am

Wiz,
    The boys come back from Christmas break on the 5th of January. I am going to give you a call and see if we can organize something for sometime in January or February. I will give you a call this week. They are doing finals this week and next, so it’s crazy right now.
    You are right on with the Mystery Oil. It has a higher flash point than fuel, so it will not burn as readily, leaving a residue on the valve face to lubricate it. That is all that the lead was doing before anyway, just providing lubrication for that valve face as it turned.
    Take care, and I’ll talk to you soon………..and maybe you would like to come and be a guest speaker for a day……..I’m sure I could learn a few things from you. Thanks.
    -Darin

9. 9 Wiz Dec 15th, 2010 at 10:36 am

Darin, I don’t know about all that technical stuff you do, I just found that it works great in my scooters. Humm, I wonder if the ‘ol Lady would want me to bring it into the bedroom ‘an get rid of the Vasaline? Just a thought, “Hey Honey, Get naked, Wanna get greasey ‘an dirty? I got a surprise fer you! Bend Over!!” YUK-YUK!! Wiz

1. 1 Tweets that mention Fast Motorcycle Industry News at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on Dec 12th, 2010 at 10:02 am