After Dark 1963 Custom BMW. Attitude Does Matter.

A downtown Paris dark garage, 3 friends (Fred Jourden, Hugo and Leo), the same passion for old Harley 750 XR, Yamaha 125/250, Kawasaki W650, Triumph, BMW on which they work after hours with for inspiration the restored/modified custom bikes from Japan & Australia they read about in magazines.

No money (for now clients are friends on which they don’t make any money) and with for philosophy to break all rules and to mix parts that never met before, the trio already produced some very interesting machines. Example, this interesting 1963 BMW 2 Series. Only 600 cc, but a lot of attitude. Of course, they would like to turn their passion in a full time profitable profession. Here is my contribution. Visit Blitz Motorcycles. (photography Patrice Berry)

32 Responses to “After Dark 1963 Custom BMW. Attitude Does Matter.”

1. 1 WILLIE@TROPICALTATTOO Jan 3rd, 2011 at 9:35 am

way cool man i really love this kind of bike good job

2. 2 Cobb Jan 3rd, 2011 at 10:03 am

I kind of dig it

3. 3 Wikked Steel Jan 3rd, 2011 at 10:36 am

That power plant looks awesome blacked out. Nice work!

4. 4 Dr. Dave Jan 3rd, 2011 at 11:04 am

Very cool. A BMW with a BAD ATTITUDE.

5. 5 Dave Blevins Jan 3rd, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Another promising project falls victim to the Krylon Kustom Kraze.

6. 6 Bleeding Ears Jan 3rd, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Ugly and pointless.

I like loud pipes.

7. 7 rk99 Jan 3rd, 2011 at 1:33 pm

ugh… HEY! they left the headlight alone…what’s up with THAT??

not for me bros…

8. 8 BMWKT Jan 3rd, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Love the covers dark.
    BMWs /2 are really cool bikes, I’ve got a 67 R 69S
    I will be sending in pix soon.
    Good work guys. Don’t ya just love rockn the BMW world! LO

9. 9 BMWKT Jan 3rd, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Hey bleeding ears, I love loud pipes too. That’s why I knocked the baffles out of my pipes.
    BMWs either ya love them or hate them. I think the new ones look like they are made in Japan. The /2 are the last of the real BMWs

10. 10 JSDiamond Jan 3rd, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Crap. This is the kind of thing you make when you’re 17; spray painting the rims and spokes while they’re still on the bike. πŸ˜€

11. 11 CHOPMONSTER66 Jan 3rd, 2011 at 5:11 pm

hell,my 16 yr old built a shovel chopper that looks better than that. with all old used parts form the heap of junk i have laying around . i guess each to his own..

12. 12 colemanfu Jan 3rd, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I dig it. Cool motor if done right.

13. 13 nicker Jan 3rd, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Hmmmmm…… Knobbies on the street….???

That could be a challenging ride.
    Or is this a way of making ya feel like ya had some real HP on tap…..???
    (when i was a kid we did that be riding in the rain…. πŸ™‚

-nicker-

14. 14 Woody Jan 3rd, 2011 at 11:10 pm

How long is the “no rear fender and a diving board seat” fad going to last? I’m thinking if the trend continues to pickups they’ll look like this?
    Click on LINK.

15. 15 Warrior Poet Jan 3rd, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Wow. And here I was just telling my wife how the biker culture is probably more accepting of people than any other group I know.
    Personally, I like it. I almost want to do something similar to my Ural, but then I’d have to sell the machine gun once I had no sidecar to mount it on.
    There are LOTS of styles and trends I don’t care for, but every guy who builds his dream bike feels just the way about his that you do about yours. No need to belittle a bike you don’t care for. There are positives to be found in everyone’s bike. (Yeah, even stretched, flamed, aped, chromed out, wrap around fender type bikes, which, while not my style, can still be appreciated for the vision and work the builder put into them.)

@CHOPMONSTER66 — If that’s true I’d love to see pics.

@JSDiamond — Really? I painted my whole bike AND engine without removing much more than the tank and front wheel, and it turned out pretty damned well.

And finally, for you, Dave, it may even have been flat black Krylon I used. I wonder, was it STILL a “Kraze” back in ’86 when I did it?

16. 16 Jacob Jan 4th, 2011 at 12:17 am

I truely appreciate this bike. I like the way it flows together. And being done in black is truely classy, though there are many other black bikes already out there — I couldn’t and don’t wish to imagine this bike in any other color. Well done.

17. 17 Wiz Jan 4th, 2011 at 5:32 am

One ugly Son of a Bitch! Flow? About as much flow as a moutain stream through the rapids! Of course that’s where it would probably perform the best. To each his own. Wiz

18. 18 H. James Jan 4th, 2011 at 5:35 am

It’s so ugly that it is beautiful. great job..

19. 19 CHOPMONSTER66 Jan 4th, 2011 at 6:52 am

warrior poet , post email address and i will send them to ya ..

20. 20 Tom Keefer/ Franklin Church Choppers Jan 4th, 2011 at 9:10 am

This is the best blog out there. Why does everyone feel they have to be so negative about every post they don’t agree with. The guys and shops featured, work hard at what they think is cool. It may not be for you but the negativity gets old.

21. 21 Cobb Jan 4th, 2011 at 9:35 am

God forbid its not another cookie cutter “custom” I give credit to anyone who does something different whether I like it or not because at least its different…isn’t that what a custom is all about??

22. 22 Greek Jan 4th, 2011 at 9:45 am

Cyril knows very well what is the “dominant taste” for customs, but is not afraid to feature very different styles to open up the mind of his readers. You can give him credit for doing this. Best custom magazine.

23. 23 Dr Robert Harms Jan 4th, 2011 at 10:02 am

I manufacture ignition systems for /2’s and have been aound them since the 60’s .Its been a long time since I’ve seen a desectarion like this one. At least they did nothing irreversable to this stocker …oops “custom” other than remove the fenders and mufflers and do a 10 buck spray can job. PS the Earles and frame are mismatched but I doubt they are aware of that.

24. 24 Darin Maltsberger - Instructor @MTI Jan 4th, 2011 at 11:53 am

After reading everyones’ posts I’m a little nervous to add mine. I teach my students to build what THEY see in THEIR head. Not what They see in magazines and not what they believe I would like. Over the past few years, we have seen some very unique bikes. When designing and re-engineering bikes I stess to my students that safety and rider control must be your first consideration. After that……..do what feels good, because it’s your bike, your creation.
    This is a very interesting bike. Not neccessarily my style, but I like the look and it makes me want to ride it. I can appreciate the knobby tires…….here in SD I know guys who ride the backroads three seasons a year on medium sized street bikes……..knobby tires. As for the modifications to a classic…….He hasn’t done anything that he can’t reverse ten years from now when and if he decides to do a resto. Great job, nice bike……be proud of your work!
    -Darin

25. 25 burnout Jan 4th, 2011 at 12:06 pm

What Willie said. peace

26. 26 Warrior Poet Jan 4th, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Chop — I don’t care to post my email address here. Can you not post the link to your photos? Here’s mine:

I primed it and painted the frame, brake components, and motor in my girlfriend’s third floor apartment, since it was in the dead of winter. Color matched the Marzocchi shocks, fittingly called Mars Red. Later I rented a paint booth for an hour, but didn’t have the foresight to bring wires to hang the pieces, so most of the black was painted on the frame as well. All I had was a hacksaw to chop the frame, an adjustable wrench, and a few screwdrivers. Not much compared to what’s being done today, but still, it always drew positive looks in West Berlin, which I thought was an accomplishment given to enormous number of bikes there at the Spinnebruecke. I still say the BMW looks great — Germans have always had a flare for cool bikes.

27. 27 CHOPMONSTER66 Jan 5th, 2011 at 7:29 am

here you go warrior poet
    http//:1213photobucket.comalbums/co47

28. 28 Tattooed44 Jan 5th, 2011 at 10:57 am

LOVE IT!!!

29. 29 nuno maroco Jan 7th, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Good bike, good luck for the builders.
    Young builders needs some support from others in motorcycle world long time.
    “Recession”

30. 30 Fuzzy Jan 10th, 2011 at 9:26 am

bad ass to the bone darlin.. congrats on adding attitude to class. i’ve got a ’56 BMW r60 that was the last bike my Dad owned before he passed. it’s been fully restored to it’s original state and sits proudly in my house. my favorite things about that old bike; the tire pump that fits snuggly in the frame, the tool kit on the side of the tank and that big ass key on top of the headlight πŸ™‚

1. 1 Tweets that mention After Dark 1963 Custom BMW. Attitude Does Matter. at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on Jan 3rd, 2011 at 9:12 am
  2. 2 Blitz Buddies Riding Their Motorcycles at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News Pingback on Jan 25th, 2011 at 7:41 am
Crusher