Polaris Names Jim Williams As Vice President Of Human Resources

Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE:  PII) today named Jim Williams as vice president of human resources.  Williams has an extensive human resources background, with top-level experience at Fortune 400 companies.  Williams will be responsible for Polaris’ global human resource sourcing and will play a large role in the company’s international growth plans. Williams is succeeding John Corness who, after 12 years of developing a top tier human resources team, has decided to move into a part-time role that allows him more flexibility.

For the past five years, Williams oversaw a global workforce at Cooper Industries, where he was accountable for 28,000 people in 60 nations.  During his time with Cooper Industries, Williams designed and implemented the company’s first human resources agenda, specifically to support Cooper’s long-term growth goals, while also leading structural and procedural process improvement initiatives.

23 Responses to “Polaris Names Jim Williams As Vice President Of Human Resources”

1. 1 Knucklehead Jan 22nd, 2011 at 9:13 am

Never have liked the term “human resource”. It’s not like we are a chunk of coal or anything.

2. 2 jspfc Jan 22nd, 2011 at 9:27 am

Human Resources is a joke in any company. They never answer a question and are always trying to screw you out of something to protect the company.

3. 3 Heavy Metal Jan 22nd, 2011 at 10:44 am

“global human resource sourcing” means finding cheap labor in countrys other than the USA. At my place of employment we call it human remains.

4. 4 Woody Jan 22nd, 2011 at 11:38 am

What do you call a college graduate with no useful job skills?

“H.R. Director” or “Coach”

5. 5 Dave Blevins Jan 22nd, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Attention Victory/Polaris employees, you now have the name and a face of the person screwing you out of your job.

6. 6 Ed Jan 22nd, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I say Mr. Williams should be relocated to Mexico, as that is where his new “human resources” will be (by the way Mr. Williams, Mexico is a beautiful country, with marvelous People … errr, sorry … “human resources”). Probably China in the not-to-distant future, once he figures out that Mexico’s “human resources” are also “too expensive” (that will surely get him a promotion to some kind of CxO title, insert just about any letter for the “x”). C’mon Victory, you call yourselves the new “American” motorcycle?

7. 7 Rider2 Jan 22nd, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Maybe he is the guy who designed the High Ball Bobber …. that would explain a lot 🙂

8. 8 David Jan 23rd, 2011 at 12:11 am

How many “H.R.” people are employed in the China workforce? Just 1 and he was at the White House eating a steak dinner the other night !!!

SSDD; David

9. 9 Doc Robinson Jan 23rd, 2011 at 7:27 am

Wowee! The negative whiners who unfortunately infest this site have pulled a good one here. Nine comments ahead of mine, each one griping and sour. Not a good word among them. This is a record. Cyril should maybe change the name to the Cyril Huze Vent Blog …

10. 10 cyclereckr Jan 23rd, 2011 at 7:29 am

HR the bane of any co. does nothing for the product or service a co. provides, HR is only a term for a clerks job, like sanitation engineer is for the garbage man!

11. 11 martin Twofeather Jan 23rd, 2011 at 10:23 am

I feel Heavy Metal sumed it up quite well with cyclerkr finishing it out………

12. 12 Woody Jan 23rd, 2011 at 11:22 am

Hey Doc, you may be right, but doesn’t it still tell you something when comments are universally bad about something, be it this thread or a bike design or……..
    If people universally rave about something are they to be considered something derogatory also? Instead of whiners are we all lemmings when we DO like something 100%?

13. 13 Doc Robinson Jan 23rd, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Hey Woody, on this blog it tells me nothing as it seems the negative masses are quicker to reach for their keyboards and knock out some misspelled missive. I don’t recall ever seeing a 100% positive response.

14. 14 Dotty Jan 23rd, 2011 at 5:52 pm

He was the only one that spoke Spanish for the new 4 buck an hour plant in Mexico…

15. 15 jspfc Jan 23rd, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Hey Doc,

Why do you care what anyone’s comments are, positive or negative? As long as people are telling the truth who really gives an f?

By the way, what positive comment did you have to add on this thread? You sound like a hypocrite.

Why don’t you stick to giving your opinion on the topic, if you want to comment on everyone or change the format of the blog why don’t you start your own blog?

16. 16 KSW Jan 23rd, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Global Human Resources is something that effects all companies like Polaris/Victory.

Polaris sources product from around the globe. They need people in regions they get those product
    from to act on their behalf. That could be switches for the handle bar controls, competitive plastics,
    castings, steel for stamping tanks-fenders or making frames. Looking to expand your market into say
    Europe? You need a knowledgable expert in the region/country your doing business in to handle those
    objectives. Knowing what proper compensation is in those regions, dealing with international labor laws,
    etc… That’s Global Human Resources for Dummies.

17. 17 Dave Blevins Jan 25th, 2011 at 1:34 am

KSW,
    The reality of your “Global Human Resources for Dummies” is this…
    The employess at Victory/Polaris worked to build a brand into a marketable product and will be rewarded by having their jobs sent to another country. This is not an expansion either, it is an elimination.
    You see, HR people practice no craft or trade, have no marketable skills and therefore have no concept of pride in a job done well… that is why they make soul-less decisions like these without understanding that it is wrong thinking.
    And that is my commentary on “Human Resources for Intelligent People”.

18. 18 KSW Jan 25th, 2011 at 8:21 am

Dave,

I always try to broaden the commentary and give more than bashing.

I’m with you on job loss. I don’t think trade agreements that opt out
    Mexico, China and India so U.S. manufacturers can take their factories
    elsewhere and circumvent U.S. law regarding environment and labor
    are good. I then voted against my Congressman who voted yes to that.

I have a patented new Hwy Peg for Honda Goldwings, designed by me
    and made in the U.S. I refused to seek out Asian mfg because I believe
    in U.S. jobs. When the relationship with the manufacturer went south
    I still refused to go to Asia.

I’ve got a design for a trunk in the rear fender of cruisers. Look at the
    Corbin smuggler for Harleys and I think they got it half right. They
    should have made a totally new fender and wrapped the trunk all the
    way down. Deep shoulder fenders are empty spaces waiting to be
    optimized. Find me a U.S. mfg that can stamp this and I’m their. I’ve
    not been able too.

Their is one common theme in all my post on this great site. Think outside
    the box and go beyond the “easy” that’s been around for years. Create
    not only customs but things that make the riding experience better for all.
    Give a broader perspective with information that expands the perspective
    beyond angry bashing of seemingly everything.

I’d like to see the business community work within the Kennedy speech
    of “Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.”
    They need to stop acting anti-government while taking tax amnesty and corporate
    bail out. If they can’t obtains profits through great management skills they should
    fail. A country with limited manufacturing can’t be a super power because who will
    build the weaponry, your enemy, no. History has shown empires don’t last forever.
    Asia is rising and the U.S. is looking like it’s going to take the place of Britain as the
    last great empire to be over taken by latest. How our politicians and business leaders
    handle this time in history will decide our fate.

So, not everyone managing HR is a sell out. HR is more than what it seems to many.
    We do have some great companies still in the U.S. who think globally and act locally.
    Find them, submit a resume and go happily down the road, if you can.

19. 19 Dave Blevins Jan 25th, 2011 at 1:49 pm

KSW,
    I have a job, USA is right in the name, so this is not about me… it is about Victory/Polaris, but nice diversionary tactic though.
    I believe in the American craftsman, not politicians, and certainly not a Kennedy, and not corporate HR people.
    As for thinking globally, I like the idea of tighter border control, tougher import restrictions, higher import tarrifs, more use of our own natural resources, etc.
    And you might consider stamping your trunk idea in segments and assembling them (much like a gas tank) if you want them in steel, and of course you could have them resin cast if you insist on a unitary design. I am certain many US companies exist that can help you produce your design.
    Don’t dismiss me as hostile or ignorant, I am neither. I just won’t smile as our government whittles away at our nation and corporate turds take advantage while the 6 o’clock news tries to tell us it’s all OK. It isn’t.

20. 20 Woody Jan 25th, 2011 at 6:58 pm

regardless, I’m guessing I hit an HR button with someone 🙂
    There’s nothing wrong with HR functions, if they know their places i.e paper shuffling, rule wrangling, paper shuffling, paper shuffling, (did I mention paper shuffling) but no where will you find them inventing, building, etc. You know, the heart & soul of any company compared to just part of the burden factor. (did I mention paper shuffling) That’s my “HR for condescending folks”. The person who re-stocks the sammich & java machines is necessary also, but they have a better understanding of how much.

21. 21 Bigalyts@aol.com Jan 26th, 2011 at 11:25 am

HUMAN RESOURCES # 1 Priority ………. DEALING WITH DRUG ADDICTION AND ALCHOLISM in the Work Place. It is the Biggest Issue Now and will continue to GROW………

22. 22 Bigalyts@aol.com Jan 26th, 2011 at 11:32 am

# 2 Dealing with Health, and Insurance related Issues. Insurance wi$$ and is the difference between Making Money and Not ! Bigger Issue then “International Growth Plans” which is probably Insuring Employees, Internationally. Imagine Health Insurance for 28,000 Workers + their Families, could be 100,000 People. That’s Human Resources !!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. 1 Tweets that mention Polaris Names Jim Williams As Vice President Of Human Resources at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on Jan 22nd, 2011 at 8:59 am
Crusher