New Harley-Davidson Black LED Headlamp And Auxiliary Lamps

To go from chrome to black is always a dramatic change for the look of your bike. To go from incandescent to LED lights will dramatically increase your night vision…and visibility from others. So, Harley-Davidson launches these new gloss black background LED headlamps and auxiliary Lamps to look and see better.

LED lights are brighter and whiter in color and provide a superior light pattern over standard incandescent lamps. Compared to the yellow light of a traditional halogen bulb, the LED lamp produces a “daylight color impression” that appears more natural to the eye. The light is focused with D-shaped lenses so the background of the head lamp does not act as a reflector, and can be coated gloss black. The solid-state LEDs are designed for long life, and the shock- and vibration-resistant lamp assembly mounts into existing light housings. Installation is quick and easy, using the factory headlamp wiring.

Harley-Davidson® Black LED Headlamps feature two horizontal D-shaped lenses that focus light into a pool in front of the motorcycle, and separate high beam and low beam projector lenses that provide a focused beam of light in front. In 7-inch diameter is $494.95. In 5.75-inch diameter is $399.95) The 4-inch Black LED Auxiliary Lamps feature three D-shaped lenses that focus the light and provide a matching appearance to the LED headlamps. These lamps replace the original equipment lamps in all models with 4-inch round auxiliary forward lighting. Installation may require separate purchase of a Harley Adapter Harness. Set of 2 is $384.95.

The Black LED lamps are DOT approved for use in all 50 states and are available to fit many Touring, Trike, Dyna®, Softail®, Sportster® and VRSC™ models. See an authorized Harley-Davidson® dealer for fitment details. Harley-Davidson. (photos copyright of Harley-Davidson)

16 Responses to “New Harley-Davidson Black LED Headlamp And Auxiliary Lamps”

1. 1 Steve Hog Radio Producer Johann Feb 17th, 2011 at 11:38 am

The problem with the new generation headlights on both Bikes and autos is this: They are blindingly bright! When an oncoming car comes toward me at night with these new headlamps on, I am forced to look away unless I wish to go blind. This makes keeping my eyes on the road all the more difficult. As more and more vehicles go this route, I foresee more accidents at night as drivers turn away and then find themselves veering into oncoming traffic or off the road. Just a thought.

2. 2 Greg Feb 17th, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Awesome. Do they make a double Fat Bob style?

3. 3 izadore007 Feb 17th, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I am more concerned about my sight at night while I am riding with my Graduall failing Eyes that are classified as NIGHT BLINDNESS! I am a HID LOVER. I have them on Both Cars Duallys, Sport Bikes with Hi/Lo Bulbs. I am really enjoying the advantage that actually seeing well at night , my hedge against tthose Young well adjusted Eye Balls that the 20 and 30 something Riders take for granted! PS. If you drop the Adjustment down a 1 Pubic Hair, the oncoming Traffic will be Exstatic, I promise! Now if this is the kind of Light that our Police Force are using on the New generation Police Cars, then thay are D E A D L Y !

4. 4 Scott R Feb 17th, 2011 at 8:23 pm

While I applaud the innovation the price is a show stopper for me. LED still burn out just like any other light.

5. 5 RedBeardedWierdo Feb 18th, 2011 at 12:25 am

When I remember to, I bring my red lensed shades for night riding. They don’t completely mitigate the overly bright lights, but they do seem to dramaticly lessen the effects and duration (not sure if anyone else gets head aches from xenon bulbs). Milage you get may vary, but give it a try.

grumbling aside, I love led/hid bulbs for driving in foggy & snowy conditions. they seem to have much less diffusion & refraction.

6. 6 Jamie Feb 18th, 2011 at 11:26 am

My previous post ‘disappeared’ so I will try again. If you would like to read an impartial comparison of the HD LED headlight vs the Truck-Lite (Custom Dynamics & Kuryakyn at 1/2 the cost) please go to http://www.lrsanitary.com/0/LEDS.pdf

Note: this comparison is being updated (yes in the midwestern snow) to include the passing lamps and the updated version of the Truck-Lite headlight. The update should be posted at the same address soon.

The reviewers receive no compensation from either company. They are riders just like you who want to be safe while riding the dark country roads.

7. 7 pelican Feb 18th, 2011 at 12:58 pm

If I didn’t have the kuryaken HID I would probably get one of these.

8. 8 J Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Cool…. But am I stuck with the black?

9. 9 travellinmatt Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Nice, effective, but as someone else already said, why so expensive? Other manufacturers make led stuff for a fraction of the price that Harley chatge……

10. 10 Jamie Feb 18th, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Hopefully, the third time trying to post this is a charm (and the post doesn’t magically appear 3 times). If you want to read an impartial comparison of the HD LED headlight with Truck-Lite LED headlight (Custom Dynamics & Kuryakyn), go to http://www.lrsanitary.com/0/LEDS.pdf.

Note: there will be an updated review (yes, they are going out in the midwestern winter) comparing the HD LED with passing lamps to the Truck-Lite version (1/2 the cost)

11. 11 Jim Apr 27th, 2011 at 6:45 am

I’ve got the Harley LED headlight and driving lights on my Road King. While they are bright they are also very well focused, putting light out on the road but not offending oncoming traffic. This is the big advantage of a purpose-designed LED headlight as opposed to slapping an HID conversion into a reflector originally designed for halogen bulbs.

12. 12 JP Aug 15th, 2011 at 5:19 pm

guys, i agree about the blinding effect. that´s a problem! i got night blindness too !
    The thing is that, to my knowledge, led and Xenon light bulbs should be used, and only used, by systems that actually applies an optical control over the light beans, directing them to parts of the driver´s sight that would, theoretically, not blind the oncomming drivers.

The big problem is that people simply buy them and use at regular headlamps that simply spread the beans everywhere!!

In this case, I bet the sophisticated (you can tell by looking at them) optical housing points it to the right place, reducing blindness.

Does anyone has any experience with this? I got mine from auto headlamps and I´m simply applying the same logic to a HD. not sure if it is really the case.

BR,

JP, from Brazil, riding everyday.

PS: just read Jim´s post after writing mine. you confirmed my point of view. thx.

13. 13 Mark Aug 26th, 2011 at 3:00 am

Ok not to point out the obvious but who made the mistake here, harley or the writer of this article.

These are HID’s not LED’s there is a huge difference.

Personally I like them for my whole black out theme, they will match perfectly and being a Harley item won’t void any warranties. But for that price they better come with the ballast and bulb kit. (That is where you run into warranty issues.

And yes HID bulbs should only be used in a “projector” style housing to avoid blinding others.

14. 14 mike Sep 3rd, 2011 at 7:03 am

I put a set of harleys LED’s in my 2002 electra glide last month . Very price ,but a grand well spent 🙂 I haven’t been blinded by oncoming vehicles as I have my 7″ headlight perfectly adjusted .

15. 15 mike Sep 3rd, 2011 at 7:10 am

I chose the blacked out version & they look awesome on my black E glide 🙂 my only question is this : they don’t specify how long they will last & don’t come with a waranty 🙁 I will let you guys know if I experience any problems with them .

16. 16 Bill Sep 17th, 2011 at 10:27 am

Hey Mark. Stick with the program. We’re talking LED’s (YES< L E D' S not HID). Do some research and you'll see no ballest or bulbs are required.