Extreme Daytona Show Bike

Joe Palermo has a full time day job and another one at night. Building each year in his garage, without any help, one radical custom bike to wow the media and judges of all Daytona Bike Week show competitions. Well, here is his 2011 creation whose simplicity (almost all the bike can be completely taken apart by quick pins and 2 allen wrenches) or complexity (mastering complications to make things look simple is an art), is going to please admirers of extreme creations and irritate old school boys. Joe Palermo main motivators are all those pretending that something can’t be done, has not be done or can be done better.

First, I apologize for the pictures quality – location was not the best, night was falling – but maybe I will not get a chance to meet this bike again. So a few facts I was able to collect. Completely hand made Softail type frame (air suspended) with single sided swingarm, gas tank, front end, 4-piston transmission brake system (with 8″ disc), foot controls and a multitude of other one-off parts. Engine (100″) sports S&S case and Edelbrock heads. Transmission is Ultima 6-speed right side drive.

Those wanting to know more, including magazines, can contact Joe Palermo at: worldclasscustoms@yahoo.com>

21 Responses to “Extreme Daytona Show Bike”

1. 1 chopmonster66 Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:42 am

cool ass bike ,just goes to show what a man can do at home ,when he puts his mind to it. i think i seen a bike he built in 09 at the rats hole in leesburg , or it looks like the same mans work…

2. 2 El Loco Mar 10th, 2011 at 10:01 am

Sorry dude……stick to you day job.

I gave you an A for effort. But an F for styling and safety. I would call this a disaster on wheels.

To each is own. Good luck dude.

El Loco

3. 3 chopperfreak29 Mar 10th, 2011 at 10:38 am

I guess I’m just never going to get this type of bike. I can appreciate the work and ingenuity that goes into something like this, but the styling is so hideously ugly and it does not look fun to ride.

4. 4 Steve Carr Mar 10th, 2011 at 10:59 am

Joe is an awsome guy, Very creative. He spent a few minutes with me in Clearwater during the “build-off” , showing and explaining some of the things he used to build this bike. I can say that everyone would be amazed at some of the items he used to build this world class work of art. I wont say what he told me he spent to build this bike, but I can tell you some bikes have more money in a set of wheels than Joe has in this bike. Lets see this get done by any other “bike builder” including myself.

Great Job Joe!!!

Your fan

Steve Carr

5. 5 Imaginethat Mar 10th, 2011 at 11:04 am

It took lots of time to build I bet, it looks as though some parts/things were a afterthought. I would not want to ride or own it, but he did it all in his garage that goes to show that anyone can build their own dream bike.

6. 6 burnout Mar 10th, 2011 at 11:15 am

Good job. I like the fire extinguisher headlamp. peace

7. 7 1550tc Mar 10th, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Building each year in his garage, without any help,

you have to like and have the utmost respect for guys who do lots with lil 🙂

8. 8 Jeff Nicklus Mar 10th, 2011 at 2:55 pm

This looks a lot like a Rick Fairless frame to me ?????

Over & Out,

Jeff

9. 9 DJT Mar 10th, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Nice job! I like the constructed look myself. Reminds me a small bit of a tripped Ducati Monster. Anyone that bashes this is more than likely unable to create on their own. They should stick to THEIR day job of mopping up bathrooms. Good work and keep it up, don’t pay any attention to the naysayers.

10. 10 Elvis Concepcion Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Now that’s what I call a custom bike…love that paint job…..

11. 11 Steve Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I can do about anything with a little material and a few tools, but I can only
    wish I had the talent to do something this fine.
    I agree with you DJT. Anyone that rips this man’s work is a “special” kind of person.

12. 12 Palermo Fan Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:27 pm

You are amazing! You always prove that in order to build a bike the world has never seen, you don’t need a ton of cash, just your great imagination.

The haters just show their jealousy when they try to tear you down.

13. 13 Henry Canup Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Just got back from IMBBA sponsored show at Blue Grotto in Daytona where Joe’s bike was admired by many everyday riders and professional builders like Lee Wimmer. The engineering on this bike was explained by Joe to anyone who asked and compliments were numerous as well as photo flashes from the many photographers. Like or dislike the bike I give Joe credit for creating his work and hand making almost all the parts and being a great person on top of that.

14. 14 chopperfreak29 Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I have to disagree with the “haters showing their jealousy” comment. Just because someone makes a comment on styling doesn’t mean they’re a “hater” it means they have a difference of opinion. Most people, myself included, qualified their statements about the styling by also stating their appreciation for the work involved in a build like this. And the fact that he did it in his garage is even more impressive. I’ve never built anything anywhere but my garage and I’ve watched my Dad build show winning custom cars from piles of steel in a single bay shop. It’s nice to see a guy like this come out and get this kind of attention. Gives me hope for myself someday! And no, not everyone likes the styling of my bikes either, but they’re free to state their opinions about it. No skin off my nose. Bottom line is, I don’t think anyone was personally attacking the builder just giving opinions and when you get media exposure, you get unsolicited opinions. It’s just the way it goes.

15. 15 RUB Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I wouldn’t ride it

16. 16 Brad Whipp Mar 11th, 2011 at 9:56 am

The Word is- UGLY

17. 17 maroco Mar 11th, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Very inconvencionall and uniq, lots of great details and ideas, in my opinion, work in a garage and whid limitid parts and tools, don´t help to much find best design, but the advantage is that the result can be very impressive.

18. 18 Doc Robinson Mar 11th, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Great job Joe! You demonstrate a wealth of talent indeed. The Australian Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, was invited to address Congress last week. She said ever since she viewed the moon landings on TV when she was just a young girl, that she believed, “Americans can do anything!” This garage built ride is that spirit in a microcosm. Thanks for posting it Cyril.

19. 19 simonnormandin Mar 14th, 2011 at 8:36 am

i have to agree with el loco this is a circus wagon and it does not even have a fatso motor . more money than senses equal desaster.

20. 20 George Stinsman Mar 14th, 2011 at 3:51 pm

nice job, lots of engineering involved there. not my personal taste in motorcycles, but it ain’t custom if you ain’t pissing someone off.

21. 21 Dale Mar 24th, 2011 at 10:08 am

Ha ha I like the guy (El Loco) he dont think the bike is vary safe……. Ya your right el loco your dress will get caught in the chain! You want safe go buy a car!
    Hey Joe nice work!!