Georgia Bikers Continue To Protest Motorcycle-Only Checkpoints

Last week, bikers from around the State of Georgia rode to the Capitol revving their engines against a federal grant the Georgia State Patrol is using to conduct motorcycle-only safety checkpoints. Protest was about denouncing the checkpoints as unconstitutional and came two weeks after the state patrol conducted motorcycle checkpoints on Interstates 75 and 95, the first of six days of stops to be held sporadically over the next 20 months. Dan Forrest  A.B.A.T.E Georgia State Director stated that “the roadblocks are a violation of our rights and are a pure attempt at profiling. The Savannah Stop had 17 GSP cars, 2 Sheriff’s cars, 1 DOT car, a van filming and photographing every biker and a helicopter. This sounds like a Border Crossing in a communist country and has nothing to do with safety.”

During the checkpoints, troopers verified that motorcyclists had the proper class license and an approved helmet. They also checked the condition of the motorcycles’ tires and lights. These checkpoints are funded by a $70,000 grant from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and are supposedly intended to help lawmen enforce state laws and reduce the high rate of injuries and fatalities caused by motorcycle crashes. Georgia is the first state to receive such a federal grant. The central point of protesters is that “money needs to be spent on education of the driving public to make them aware of motorcycles, make media public service announcements, for training new drivers. The government doesn’t need to safety check us. We are aware of how vulnerable we are and we all check our rides on a regular basis. We need protection from the distracted, impaired and inexperienced drivers. This can only be accomplished through education, not Safety Checkpoints for Motorcycles” Peter Terhorst, a spokesman for the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA), said the motorcycle checkpoints amount to “opportunistic profiling.”

Some Congressman have also questioned the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s grant and called for Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood to pull the plug on future funding for motorcycle-only checkpoints. Rep. Tom Petri, the Wisconsin Republican who is a co-sponsor of legislation introduced this month to prohibit such grants, called the checkpoints “outrageously intrusive.” “Nobody is suggesting pulling cars off the road for unscheduled inspections,” he said in a statement, “so why are motorcycle riders being harassed?”

23 Responses to “Georgia Bikers Continue To Protest Motorcycle-Only Checkpoints”

1. 1 Boss Hawg Apr 3rd, 2011 at 7:41 am

Good article.

Wholeheartedly agreed. “money needs to be spent on education of the driving public to make them aware of motorcycles, make media public service announcements, for training new drivers.” and more harsh penalties for cagers like drunk drivers get when they take an innocent life. The safety checks do just that, too, by raising awareness through the safety stops and media coverage. However, there are more pressing issues with the entire damn government that need immediate attention than this does. Get a life, it could be worse.

We live in SE GA and have no problems with the GA LEOs whatsoever! In fact we support all GA LEO efforts here locally through donations from my business as they pertain to public awareness of our biker brotherhood. Some of our fellow riders are GA LEO and we are thankful for the organized escorted rides they put together. Ride with them and safety checks won’t be an issue.

Most keyboard commandos here just rant and rave with no action whatsoever, too damn busy doing other things like bar hopping on the bikes. You think cagers should face more harsh penalties for taking a bikers life? You really wanna do something about it? Then get together like MADD, show up at EVERY CASE in Court and force change! Until then…this issue will remain fragmented as most other biker related issues do and will fall to the wayside….vroom vroom vroom.

Boss Hawg

2. 2 Boss Hawg Apr 3rd, 2011 at 8:19 am

And, have any of you so called keyboard commandos here ever given it the slightest damn thought whatsoever that these so called “safety checks” are being used to see if “motorcyclist in general” are compliant with the laws by building a database for the NHSTA to in turn say OK…the majority of motorcyclists do meet all the safety criteria and have proper DL endorsements, so lets go after the cagers and general public with motorcyclist general awareness measures to reduce motorcycle accidents and fatalities?

Has your ABATE chapter or your Representatives told you this…NOPE…why?…because they have not taken the time to investigate the facts behind the studies! Like litigators, they just like to grandstand in front of the audience to bring most all of the attention to themselves. Get a life folks.

Have you that write here spent some time to investigate on your own? Strong majority not, EH? Well that is what the intent is, of course over time. Stop trying to blow holes in everything because most of you here are blind in one eye or another with opinions running rampant running your keyboards here.

Bottom line, focus your energies in a more positive manner. Be positive about it…chip in with your so called labor of love, fund it and help…just maybe the check stops you see next time riding down I-95 and across the country will indeed be the 4-wheelers. Without your support, it will be you again.

Tear into me if you like, but know before you blow. No further comments from me here.

Enjoy…Put A Breeze Between Your Knees and Ride Safe!

Boss Hawg

3. 3 chicagojohn Apr 3rd, 2011 at 9:30 am

This kind of profiling is nothing new for us up north, try riding the length of Georgia with Illinois tags! After many bogus tickets, we changed our route and ride thru Alabama on the way to Florida now. Most of the way is rural and folks are cool. But I do support efforts in stopping these types of checkpoints, keep up the pressure!

4. 4 zyon Apr 3rd, 2011 at 9:36 am

Taking the article at face valve, if you were wearing a DOT helmet and your papers /SN number were in order, you had no issues.

I’d be pissed about this if this safety check was the first and only safety check in history. However, they have sobriety checks, car seat checks, seal belt checks, equipment safety check and other check everyday in every state in this country. Why are we the ones that should be left alone? I don’t hear outcries and threats of litigation over those checks.

I took the baffles out of my bike the day I got it. If I get pulled over and get a ticket for it, I won’t be pissed. I knowingly break the law and I’ll pay for it. When I got nailed for 82 in a 55 the last time I drove through Virginia, I did not get pissed, I paid the ticket and moved on.

I have no problem being pulled over on my motorcycle. Hell my bike is cool and most cops just want to check it out. Used to happen to me in my Mustang too. All of my papers are in order, if I have a burned out light, I have a spare with me to change it on the spot and I wear a DOT helmet. I’ve been pulled over a few times and they have never even questioned the exhaust. Why? I treat them with respect!

5. 5 BadMonkeyMW Apr 3rd, 2011 at 10:02 am

These checkpoints are a joke, pure and simple. My two riding partners and I went through one of them on the way to Daytona a few weeks ago. Absolutely no consistency whatsoever. One cop checked the lights, tires, etc. on one of our bikes. The next guy looked at my other buddies bike, asked him a few questions and ran his license. Didn’t check anything on the bike itself or ask for proof of insurance or registration. My bike? They didn’t say one word to me. Didn’t ask for any of my paperwork or check any so called ‘safety equipment’ on my bike. 100% bullsh*t. And a huge waste of manpower and taxpayer funds. AND 100% constitutionally illegal.

This type of government action has nothing to do with safety, it has everything to do with controlling the people and instilling fear in the citizenry. If you are you okay with this kind of thing, you are a coward who doesn’t deserve to call themselves an American.

6. 6 John K. Endrizzi Apr 3rd, 2011 at 11:15 am

7. 7 golfish Apr 3rd, 2011 at 11:38 am

“These checkpoints are funded by a $70,000 grant from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ”

Seems like they blew the whole wade the first day..

8. 8 Boss Hawg Apr 3rd, 2011 at 11:45 am

John K. Endrizzi…

You put forth just the kind of effort (lack of) and sincerest thoughts as I mentioned herein…none!

BadMonkey and John…Cowardly?
    I am a proud Vietnam Era Veteran. Please don’t tread on me. I attend most regional rallies here in the SE if you would like to meet eye-to-eye for a beer…wink wink.

Boss Hawg

9. 9 Rob Campbell Apr 3rd, 2011 at 11:59 am

Grants are a funny thing.

A few years ago the department I chair at the local high school got a terrific grant aimed at some pretty specific things. I was pretty inexperienced as a chair and with grants at the time and had a hard time looking for ways to authentically meet the terms of the grant. Looking back, I can think of a dozen ways we could have done better to meet the aims of the grant.

But we got some much needed stuff from the grant, and got pointed in the right direction.

I wonder if this is a case of lame grant implementation. Either way wouldn’t surprise me.

10. 10 nicker Apr 3rd, 2011 at 4:38 pm

RE:
    “… there are more pressing issues with the entire damn government….”

Yes, and a $14 Trillion debt and UN Agenda 21 should top the list of WAY “more pressing” stuff.

“… Agenda 21 as a sustainability agenda which is arguably an amalgamation of socialism and extreme environmentalism brushed with anti-American, anti-capitalist overtones…”

See how long “…all i wann-a-do is ride…” works for ya when the morons running this country spend us into a Third World shit-hole.

And when they hand world-control over to the UN you can kiss your “rugged independent biker” act good buy forever.

-nicker-

11. 11 Wiz Apr 4th, 2011 at 2:04 am

I ran the length of Georgia down ‘an up during the Datona thing and didn’t see anything [of course I wuz doin’ 95 mph!] On the way back I had a brand spanking new $35,000. Harley Tri-Glide in the trailer with no paperwork on, so for all wants and purposes it was stolen! Nope, didn’t bother me a bit! Wiz

12. 12 John K. Endrizzi Apr 4th, 2011 at 6:47 am

Boss Hawg,
    I’m not sure what Viet Nam has to do with lockstep fascism. I also served our country there. Fortunately I wasn’t infected with the less than human mentality that you espouse in your rant. Any time fella !
    John K. Endrizzi

13. 13 ROGUE Apr 4th, 2011 at 6:54 am

If this is how the NHTSA is wasting Our Tax Payer Dollars then obviously they have to much money.
    I would suggest contacting your legislator as I have and request they cut the NHTSA budget and use the savings to help balance the budget.

14. 14 deadwood1783 Apr 4th, 2011 at 9:05 am

Absolutley unconstitutionsl. A blatant totlatarian abuse of power. BadMonkey, I could not agree with you more. I don’t get the mentality that “checkpoints” are ok because they make us safer. Where does this stop. The fact is if we as Americans are not willing to stand up for our rights we will inevitably lose them. We worry about other countries and their so called human rights violations while our own country locks up more people per capita than any other. Sure, there are bad people out there who have to be locked up. Everyone knows this. But we lock up people for some of the stupidest “reasons” imaginable and the general public cheers them on. God save the USA from tyrants,,,,and idiots.

15. 15 robinn banks Apr 4th, 2011 at 9:06 am

the great history of american motorcycling ….the passion of a simple motorized freedom…..
    now the new century is showing off there regimental colors….i am a firm beleiver that everyone should get a two wheel license before receiving one for 4 wheels!!!education at the start is the importance,,,,but from here in canada/ontario…it sure smells and sounds like the law is out looking for pickin and stirring crap with all bikers….i.m sure there are families in the state that would greatly improve there well being with that grant money!!!70.000big ones…there i think and injured vet..would appreciated a new artificial arm…those kinda of actions would go alot further in keeping peace with fellow riders and so called politicians who are there to supposively serve.the people…but i guess being a pond and living in one is alot easier for some…here so far riding as been under the radar,till you screw up on the road…but they do get the road stops happening really quick when some of the boys get together for friendly activities…..but guess there nothing wrong with having a police escort when going to the cottage…a nice way to have alot of highway space….but it does sound like there looking for more than mechanical violations?????dam i hate the silent commie!!!so lets all stand together…cause in t5he long haul for whatever it’s worth that little two wheel invention is what may help solve impact on pollution and still allow folks to get to and from at a decent price and with a grin on all of our faces….M.L.& Respect to all…fight the fight…

16. 16 FRED JOHNSON Apr 4th, 2011 at 9:44 am

I WANT CHECK POINTS FOR BANKERS AND WALL STREET,CHECK THIER PAPPERS,FOR PUBLIC SAFETY; BIKER FRED.

17. 17 Grayhawk Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:46 am

Well said Nicker, as they say in the song, “When your holding the Hammer, Everything looks like a Nail”, and they will keep on nailing us down and posturing till we stand up and make the right choices for changes.

18. 18 martin Twofeather Apr 4th, 2011 at 11:51 am

If we don’t stand up now they are just going to keep taking,we have gone from getting the bad guy to getting everyone every where………

19. 19 TigerLily Apr 4th, 2011 at 12:32 pm

The general public should share our outrage for the misuse of our tax dollars. This has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with domination over We The People. It’s an outrage that our own tax money is being used against us. To use my friend, Dave Stilwell’s analogy, “These dudes are like bullies taking our lunch money. And each time we give it to them, they want more.” How much more will We The People tolerate before we give these school bullies a black eye to back off and leave us in peace?

The first “black eye” is in the form of not consenting to any checks. If things go sour, the next black eye is to file an internal affairs complaint. The third black eye is for the media to expose the horrendous misuse of our tax dollars. But main-stream media tends to side with law enforcers to enable them to continue to violate us. Therefore, every time you see a report by the media giving these tactics the thumbs up, we must send them an email objecting.

I’m afraid our vets overseas will be returning to a country that is less free than when they left.

20. 20 Hark Apr 4th, 2011 at 1:42 pm

This really is kind of crazy. Drug dealers head north through Georgia every day I am sure. This appears to be a major wast of tax payer dollars.

Hark

21. 21 JSDiamond Apr 4th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Half of the so-called “safety requirements” do not provide any safety at all. Education prevents accidents and collisions –not helmets, handlebar height, EPA approved pipes or horizontal license plates. The laws are bunk as is the twit head of the NHTSA; who knows nothing about motorcycles or safety. Anyone can read a report and do second grade math. Fuck him.

Motorcycle checkpoints are nothing more than a shakedown.

22. 22 1dwb Apr 4th, 2011 at 6:33 pm

THE POLISE IN GA. MUST HAVE ALOT OF TIME ON THEIR HANDS, WHY DON’T THEY PUT IT TO GOOD USE AND STOP ALL THE CARS AND TRUCKS FORM MIAMI ( and you know who I am tlaking about ) THAT ARE RUNNING DRUGS P 95 THOSE PEOPLE ? ARE ILLEGALS AND WANTED FELONS DUHHHHH !!!!

23. 23 Boss Hawg Apr 8th, 2011 at 7:16 am

John K. Endrizzi

Good to see ya can write and not copy again. Get it together bro and write about me to someone who cares.

Thunder Beach April April 27th…May 1. Next stop Sturgis, then Phil Peterson’s Poker Run to the Keys. Look me up, like I said, if you would like to meet eye-to-eye for a beer.

Safety Checks….Tell us what you really learned and now know, John? Nothing!

Boss Hawg