Dave Zien The Million Mile Man. Health Update.

In March, while returning from Daytona Bike Week, David Zien, former Wisconsin Senator (from 1993 to 2006), a 2000 inductee in the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame who rode more than 1 million miles on a 1991 Harley-Davidson Sport Glide, was seriously hurt in a motorcycle accident on interstate 10 near Tallahassee, Florida. An SUV traveling in front of Zien attempted to change lanes, lost control and flipped onto its side. In the crash, he lost part of his left leg and suffered a broken hip. Rogue who visited him at the hospital gives us an update.

“I received a phone call from Dave Zien a little over a week ago informing me he had been moved to Tallahassee Memorial Rehabilitation Center and that he would like me to stop by if I could.  I made the ride from Melbourne on Wednesday April 13th and am happy to say that I was impressed with the process Dave is making after the crash that took his left leg. He still has a way to go but is working very hard at his therapy and I am convinced he will get through this. Though he is allowed visitors and does like seeing them it is requested that anyone planning on visiting check first because to many will be tiring and he does have a busy therapy schedule and may not be available. Dave did come outside and wanted to see the bike I was riding and for me to start it so he could hear it. He brought up the subject of riding again and I did tell him once he was well enough to do so I was sure we would be able to make what ever modifications to the motorcycle he chose so that he could operate it safety and comfortably.  I did stay in town overnight and got to spend some time with him and Sue on Thursday before I rode home.  Please continue to keep Dave in your prayers.” Rogue. Sturgis Freedom Fighters, Motorcycle Hall Of Fame Member.

15 Responses to “Dave Zien The Million Mile Man. Health Update.”

1. 1 ROGUE Apr 19th, 2011 at 7:02 am

Tallahassee Memorial Rehab. Center
    C/O Dave Zien Room 1125
    1609 Medical Drive
    Tallahassee, FL. 32308

2. 2 Brian from NJ Apr 19th, 2011 at 7:03 am

Glad to hear he is doing well and seems to be in good spirits. Ride on Senator Z!

3. 3 Scott Sjovall Apr 19th, 2011 at 7:49 am

Dave,
    Glad to hear things are looking up for you and to see a smile on your face. Keep up the good fight and you’ll be back in the wind before you know it! We are all thinking of you.

4. 4 Sid Apr 19th, 2011 at 10:11 am

Great! Long live Dave!

5. 5 zyon Apr 19th, 2011 at 11:40 am

Happy to hear he will ride again. It is alway nice to hear that another person’s stupidity, although life altering, did not take his spirit.

6. 6 Merle Quale Apr 19th, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Get well soon Dave. Glad to hear your ok. Hope to see you in STURGIS this year. Ride on Dave

7. 7 DJ Apr 19th, 2011 at 7:00 pm

At least he has “The good Health Care.” Obamacare won’t go nearly as far for the rest of us non-senator types

8. 8 ray c wheeler Apr 19th, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Looking forward to seeing ” back in the saddle again”.
    Sturgis?
    Regards,
    Ray

9. 9 Wiz Apr 20th, 2011 at 2:30 am

Got that trike kit just awaitin’ fer ya! Ride on, Brother! Wiz

10. 10 Roadside Marty Apr 20th, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Dave Zien is a true inspiration to us all..I can only hope to meet the man face to face out on the road one day!!!!!

11. 11 jatinder pal Apr 21st, 2011 at 1:18 am

God bless you dave…

12. 12 ROBERT RAKOW Apr 21st, 2011 at 3:11 pm

HOPE ALL IS GOING WELL THROUGH THESE CHALLANGEING TIMES. HEAL UP FAST SO WE CAN SEE YOU ON THE ROAD AGAIN. GODS BLESSINGS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND SUE. BEST WISHES ROBERT RAKOW FROM GERMANTOWN WI

13. 13 johnny Apr 22nd, 2011 at 7:02 am

glad to see your on the road to recovery ,stay strong and god bless ,your a good man mr zien ……..

14. 14 branscombe richmond Apr 25th, 2011 at 3:44 pm

dave our prayers r with you — much love to ya ,, get well ,, hope to c u in the wind ,,, many blessings ,, maui awaits you ,,, br

15. 15 Greg Emfinger Aug 16th, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Dave / I am with HonorBound MM in El Paso Tx . I had the honor of visting with you when you stopped at Barnett Harley Davidson a few times . Believe me it was not long ,you never stayed off that bike long . I am so happy to hear you are doing better . We HonorBound MM bikers have been praying for healing . I signed your card a few times . Anyway just wanted you to know that all our love and respect is shown to you . Hope to see you in El Paso riding again, if that is your desire . Greg , HonorBound MM

Crusher