Washington State Governor Signs Law To Prohibit Bikers Profiling

Too many bikers have already been victims of profiling. But today there is something to celebrate. Governor Chris Gregoire has signed Senate Bill 5242  that outlaws profiling of motorcyclists by state troopers and local law enforcement officers in Washington state. The new law is modeled on a 2002 state law outlawing racial profiling by police, and it includes similar safeguards. It requires the Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs and the Criminal Justice Training Commission to add a statement condemning motorcycle profiling to their existing policies banning racial profiling. Motorcycle profiling is defined as when law enforcement officers single out people who ride motorcycles or wear biker garb, stopping, questioning, searching or arresting them without legal ground.

Jeff “Twitch” Burns, a member of a Tacoma-area motorcycle club, has produced an 86-minute video documenting discriminatory tactics by police officers, including a video of a state trooper crawling through bushes near the Legislative Building in Olympia two years ago and writing down motorcycle license numbers while bikers were holding a rally. “As soon as you are stopped, officers don’t treat you like a normal person,” he said. “They search you, they ask you about your tattoos, they try to take pictures of your tattoos. They ask you about your motorcycle club and its affiliation with other motorcycle clubs.” Burns has posted a YouTube video from 2008 showing a state trooper pulling over a biker in Thurston County for no apparent reason and ordering him to remove his helmet. When the biker refused, he was arrested.” Burns said. “There is no statutory basis for that. As a result of that arrest, the Washington State Patrol was forced to pay the motorcyclist $90,000.”

24 Responses to “Washington State Governor Signs Law To Prohibit Bikers Profiling”

1. 1 Brett Apr 19th, 2011 at 6:49 am

Great, will help a lot. What about all other states? No such laws?

2. 2 BadMonkeyMW Apr 19th, 2011 at 8:46 am

Finally a state governor with some sense. The important thing is getting a law like this passed in the first state, as it creates a legal precedent for other states to model their own law after. Paying attention Georgia??!!

3. 3 Mike Greenwald Apr 19th, 2011 at 9:26 am

Thanks to the tireless efforts of Donnie ‘Breeze’ Landsman, this was signed into law.

4. 4 burnout Apr 19th, 2011 at 9:55 am

W O W ! I am impressed, someone in government has common sense!! peace

5. 5 Sid Apr 19th, 2011 at 10:08 am

Washington. ok.
    49 states left.

6. 6 hoyt Apr 19th, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I had a WA trooper pull me over for speeding, then he stood in the middle of a state route and stopped traffic to ask the driver a question. After ticketing me, he did a 180 in front of an oncoming car on the 2-lane road.

profiling? perhaps…What did that other driver have anything to do with me? I passed them on a dotted white lane section of the road before the cop passed me going the other way over the next hill. And, why be so dangerous to the other motorists and me on the side of the road? complete ass.

7. 7 live2rideaglide Apr 19th, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Motorcycle profiling , er like Tennessee does on the Snake and Tail of the Dragon? Old guys in Miata’s and Corvettes don’t get ‘ the treatment ” if they cross the centerline , but let a biker drift across even slightly at low speeds and you will be strip searched. When queried about the inequity
    the official response was ‘ if you don’t like it dont come back to Tennessee.

8. 8 Bull Moose Apr 19th, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I had a Ohio state trouper pull me over last summer and he told me he ran the plates on every motorcycle he sees. I ask if he dident think that was profiling and he told me yes but its not against the law. Ohio sucks.

9. 9 DJ Apr 19th, 2011 at 6:53 pm

We should not even be having these discussions. It is a shame that the yuppies and rubs brought this on us. Nobody cared what we did before the Discovery channel

10. 10 DJ Apr 19th, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Is that a Bandido in the center back?

11. 11 Gas Man Apr 19th, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I wish NY, and GA would take note!!

12. 12 Tom Chop Apr 20th, 2011 at 2:43 am

I agree Gas Man we need some of the same here in Alabama. I am afraid though that the “new” man we have In The Governor`s Chair could care less about “motorcycle profiling”.

Tom Chop

13. 13 Tom Chop Apr 20th, 2011 at 2:46 am

Good eye DJ, I think you`re right!

Tom Chop

14. 14 robinn banks Apr 20th, 2011 at 8:41 am

great news folks…now as a canadian biker ….visiting sites and friends ,this does change
    and makes us want to ride across more often….after all we do get poked and proded at the border,
    so you figured we would be just fine and free to enjoy the rest of our holidaying state side….
    so much respect to all…ontario/canada.

15. 15 Q-Ball Apr 20th, 2011 at 3:04 pm

One down, 49 to go.
    Join ABATE & MRF.
    Fight for what is right “your constitutional rights”.

16. 16 hoyt Apr 20th, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I do appreciate the support of our left-leaning governor. : )

17. 17 PRFCT Apr 20th, 2011 at 8:11 pm

DJ

Where the hell do you get your facts ! Bandito is second row centre not back row . Bikers where profiled as long as there have been bikes . Chance of a want or warrant or no licence in the 60’s to 80’s 75% .Now that the yuppies have joined in that percentage dropped to 30% for the man. That don’t make the stops right but takeing shots at the yuppies for the stops is just BS .

18. 18 Wiz Apr 21st, 2011 at 1:42 am

Q-Ball, Damn Skippy, join ABATE and MRF! I often ask riders if they are ABATE members, usually they aren’t, but they damn sure enjoy the Freedoms we work so hard to give them. SLACKERS!, Let someone else do the fightin’, while they sit on their ass! “Who will help me plant the wheat/harvest it, grind it, mix it, bake it,?” said the Red Hen. “Not I” said the pig. “Not I” said the duck, chicken, dog, cat, etc.” “Who will help me Eat the bread?” “I will” said the aforementioned critters. “FUCK YOU!” said the Red Hen. Anybody catch the drift? Wiz

19. 19 hoyt Apr 21st, 2011 at 10:01 am

What if the Red Hen instead said, “I’ll give you a slice of bread after you sign this membership form”

20. 20 DJ Apr 21st, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Hey PRFCT!
    wich I only hope is not short for “perfect” because you are clearly an idiot… I am sorry that I was not clear enough for you about the placment of “The Bandido” in the picture.. You must be from Virginia

21. 21 PRFCT Apr 21st, 2011 at 9:35 pm

DJ

You do have an eye for detail ! Prfct is mispelled on purpose to show I am not.
    In your answer to half my coment you start with wich I assume a slip of the keys meaning which. You like to name call and refer to other states as though they are inferior to you and that the state is the problem.I was not trying to piss in your wheaties I was just trying to point out a few short comings in your opinions .

PRFCT

22. 22 Wiz Apr 22nd, 2011 at 3:36 am

You give ABATE sum bread, I’ll give you sum back! Might even throw a little MEAT in with it! HUBBA-HUBBA!! Wiz

23. 23 DJ Apr 22nd, 2011 at 2:54 pm

PRFCT
    The placement of a person in a picture is not an opinion, it is an observation. If you are going to be so anal as to be this invested in a passing comment on a picture then there is not much I can say to help you. I don’t name call I just calls em like I see’s em there good buddy. I live in the realm of reality.. If it walks and talks like a duck- It ain’t no chicken. There is no room for PC in motorcycles. I am sure there is a grand Corvette blog you can go to or maybe a boat chat room where you will be better served

24. 24 rome Jun 22nd, 2011 at 11:21 am

Rome Hills Hay what would you call this … I got pulled over on my bike and ticketed and an hour later pork and jeff get pulled over and ticketed ? This happed in Tri-cities so if riding through be ready to be pulled over

Crusher