Polaris Hiring Marketing Director For Indian Motorcycles

You see it here first. A tremendous opportunity offered by Polaris to apply for a dream job to lead the Indian Motorcycle brand marketing efforts.

Job Summary:
Lead Indian marketing efforts in development and implementation of strategies and plan that meet or exceed retail sales objectives.  Key leader in driving Indian Motorcycles to become a Global Motorcycle Brand.

Essential Duties And Responsibilities.
Marketing/Brand Strategies and Plan Development
• Develops and implements short and long-term marketing plans and strategies to support the growth objectives of the company.  Identifies, qualifies and pursues growth opportunities.
• Develops and executes purchase funnel strategies from awareness to purchase.
• Leads development and implementation of branding/positioning strategies that differentiates the products in the marketplace through product advertising, including consumer shows.
• Creates, tests, and executes retail programs and promotions that are impactful and cost effective.
• Responsible for delivering retail market share growth.
• Develop marketing budget and manage accordingly

Lead “Grass Roots” Strategies of the Indian Marketing Plan.
• Development of marketing plan elements (i.e. consumer demo events, local consumer events, targeted marketing efforts, impactful dealership point-of-sale, effective dealership retail selling training support)
• Deliver breakthrough publicity efforts that generate awareness and consumer-driven retail sales pull demand
• Lead marketing strategies for Indian website and on-line marketing resources
• Recommend and lead development of high impact partnerships and sponsorships
• Responsible for delivering consumer retail sales results within limits of marketing budget

Product Development, Voice of Customer and Competition
• Lead Voice of the Customer strategies to drive effective and compelling Indian product development.
• Integrates with Product Managers and PDC to lead effective product development portfolio planning and compelling product commercialization strategies.
• Tracks and analyzes competitive programs, products and activities in the marketplace.
• Analyzes and reports market share results; develops plans and programs which capitalize on opportunities and addresses issues.

Marketing Team Leadership and Development
• Hires, trains, develops, coaches and builds an A-1 marketing team.  Expands the team, as needed, to meet the growth goals.
• Builds the functional expertise and organizational credibility of the marketing department, transforming the organization from a sales/product driven environment to a marketing/product driven culture.
• Leads cross-functional teams to bring new products to market rapidly and on budget.
• Manages outside agency resources including the advertising agency and, together with the Corporate Communications Manager, manages press, public relations and legislative efforts to capitalize on brand presence opportunities.

Desired Skills & Experience

• Bachelors degree in related field required. MBA or advanced degree preferred.
• 8-12 years marketing experience and 3-5+ years managerial experience required.
• Proven track record of marketing expertise and successes, with hands-on knowledge of strategy, competitive analysis, development, advertising, promotion, market research and portfolio management
• Global brand strategy experience (global plans and strategies with North America primary focus)
• Retail driven B2C communications executed through B2B
• Premium brand management experience (CI, CSI, CRM), drive consistent strategy and execution across all the brand/consumer touch points
• Outstanding leadership skills.
• An understanding, appreciation and or passion for motorized vehicles.
• Strong problem solving & organizational skills

Apply for this marketing job by filing out your complete Resume at: Marketing Director For Indian Motorcycles.

35 Responses to “Polaris Hiring Marketing Director For Indian Motorcycles”

1. 1 Doc Robinson Jul 4th, 2011 at 7:53 am

Where are the ads for engineers to improve that outdated engine or design a better one?

2. 2 Art Welch Jul 4th, 2011 at 8:53 am

We hope and pray the right person is hired this time for the job..

…..good luck applicants!

3. 3 Greybeard Jul 4th, 2011 at 9:23 am

Admittedly I don’t have a clue what Victory’s sales numbers are like or what level of brand loyalty they enjoy but an option for Polaris might be to drop the Victory name and re-badge them as Indian.

It would make sense from the aspect of not having to develop completely new motorcycle brand technology and manufacturing and it would bring immediate focus on Indian.
    Polaris couldn’t buy better coverage than rekindling the Indian vs. Harley tradition without the marketing and manufacturing distraction of another brand in the form Victory and they’d be doing it with a well developed product.

4. 4 Jason Jul 4th, 2011 at 11:47 am

Greybeard…great idea. Victory owners are fiercely loyal and honestly, Victory’s are a great motorcycle. The name Victory is lazy and just doesn’t have the wow factor that Indian has. I think that using the re-worked V-twin power plant and drive train is a mistake (I also believe that this is why all of the aftermarket OEMs have failed to sustain) and the Victory is poised to challenge Harley correctly with the correct marketing and market positioning. Indian needs to distance its self from the the HD customer and be original. They know how to build a dealer network but they need those dealers to leave the safety circle of the ATV and Powersports market. Real bikers do not want to step foot in those dealerships…it just seems dis-ingenuous to me.

There are even real bikers that ride Victory motorcycles (Sonny Barger rides a Vision)…they just don’t scream it from the roof tops. I have long said that Harley isn’t a “motorcycle” company, they are a “lifestyle” company that builds motorcycles. Harley sells you an unfinished motorcycle (for a modest profit) on purpose and then sells you thousands of dollars worth of lifestyle products (at an obscene profit) to complete the transaction. None of the other manufacturers seem to understand that concept. They spend millions on engineering the “finest motorcycles in the world) and then battle the bean counters to get them to price out cheaper than an un-finished Harley Davidson that has 50 year old technology so that consumers will justify their purchase of a non HD V-twin.

I would love to do the job (and I believe that I could too) but I don’t know that Victory/Indian would be willing to listen to the cold hard facts that I would give them. You aren’t going to build a brand overnight…Indian has had more chances at success than Robert Downey Jr has. Hopefully they can pull it together.

5. 5 Darin Maltsberger - Instructor@MTI Jul 4th, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Jason and Greyeard are on target in my opinion. The Victory bikes are an awesome, reliable line of motorcycles. H-D has definitely been marketing a lifestyle for decades. A good friend of mine who is a dealer, comes and speaks to my students every year about his business. His opening line includes “…..We are not in the motorcycle business, we are in the entertainment business. People choose to spend money at our store in order to find enjoyment that justifies their everyday working careers.We want them to be happy that they chose our store and H-D for that purpose.”
    I think about Jims’ speech everytime I attend an openhouse or dealer/retailer event. If Polaris is willing to adopt this kind of philosophy, saddle it to a reliable,stylish product, and utilize dealer networks that are passionate about bikes,( not ATV and snowmobile retailers) I believe they have a chance to make this a success story for the Indian name. There is a lot of history and achievement in the Indian name. I believe there will be a loyal base of customers if the product quality, reliability, pricing structure, marketing strategy and………servicing dealerships are right. You notice I said servicing dealer. Almost all riders of high end bikes take them back to the dealer, or a local specialty shop they trust for their service. Service will sell a product and it creates customer loyalty. Two things that H-D has learned and trained their dealers in.

And like the gentlemen above, It would be an awsome opprotunity, a chance to start a major project with a blank sheet………but I am fairly certain that Polaris is looking for someone with
    a masters or doctorate degree or a CEO after their name.

-Darin

6. 6 Richard Jul 4th, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I didn’t read through the entire job description but hope they get someone who rides and understands the many facets of motorcycling.

7. 7 Rick Lossner Jul 4th, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Life is too Short to ride just Harleys 😉

8. 8 nicker Jul 4th, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Hmmmm…..

RE:
    “…Real bikers do not want to step foot in those [ATV and snowmobile retailers] dealerships…”

Well, if that’s true, then what’s consider the following “Real bikers”…???

“…we are in the entertainment business. People choose to spend money at our store in order to find enjoyment that justifies their everyday working careers… ”

Don’t know where the country is headed when “Real bikers” are people who need to be “entertained” and “justified”…. 🙁

-nicker-

9. 9 DON Jul 5th, 2011 at 1:15 am

I think my wife could do a dandy job at this she’s done the retail, the sales, has the drive and the Love the Indian motorcycle just doesn’t have the degree too bad experience doesn’t count she’d sell a million and then some……if real life experience counts then give’r a call Art has our number!!! Don

10. 10 Hungouver Jul 5th, 2011 at 6:07 am

I nominate Jos Dewit for th position. (see prior BDM Europe story)

11. 11 Mucking Fonster Jul 5th, 2011 at 6:32 am

Well it didn’t take long for the internet battle cry (“real bikers”) to come out. Please…. call somebody a “poser” now and complete my morning.

12. 12 Art Welch Jul 5th, 2011 at 7:47 am

WhyNot,
    thanks for thinking of me, what a nice compliment.

Don,
    Tell her to apply online. Just have her follow the link. ya never know.

Degrees may help, Education is a must to do this job right, but it also takes an actual Biker to understand the industry.

13. 13 stu pidasso Jul 5th, 2011 at 9:12 am

I hope Sarah Palin gets the job.

14. 14 Jason Jul 5th, 2011 at 10:00 am

Nicker..you are right I should qualify what I consider a “Real Biker”. It is guys like you and me. When I go to a motorcycle dealership I do not want to talk to a kid that rides a dirt bike and has plates in his ear lobes and a ring in his tongue. When I go to the parts department I do not want to have to walk in with the part numbers that I need…I want to talk to a qualified parts specialist that can tell me what parts I need. When I go into the apparel department, sure I would like to speak to a nice looking lady but I want one that can tell me what I look right in and one that knows more about what helmet I should get other than “this one has a blue fake mohawk on it and this one has a red one”. When you go to a powersports store, they sell a lifestyle too and they are good at what they do but the dempograhic is so different from what I consider to be “Biker”. I am not ignorant enough to define a “Biker” as someone that eats meth for breakfast, coke for lunch and a steak and a doobie for dinner and only listens to classic rock. I believe that a biker is someone that rides a bike and cares about their bike and could care less about four wheelers, ATVs and Snowmobiles.

15. 15 Brett Jul 5th, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Jason, I have to say 2 places you can get all those things are Doc’s Harley Davidson in Bonduel Wisconsin & Indian of the Twin Cities.

I have never bought a bike from Doc’s, but I wouldn’t go to any other HD dealer to get anything done to my bike. I have a 2001 Sofatil Standard. If I ever buy a new HD it will be from Doc’s. They can do anything to just about any V Twin engine. Doc’ at 1 time had the World’s Fastest Panhead & Doc & his daughter Kirsten are drag bikes. They aren’t the typical HD dealer that will only work on the current engine HD has out. They also know anything you need. If you need a part, their parts girls either know exactly where to get the part or someone in the shop does. They also can help with helmet & whatever other question you have. They also will work on my 2003 Indian Chief Springfield with the Power Plus 100 engine…..

That brings me to Art. I live in Green Bay Wisconsin. I bought any Indian Chief Springfield from a guy in Illinois. My wife is from Lakeville MN & we were there this past weekend & stopped into Art’s Indian dealership. Art is a great guy. He spent alot of time with us. He answered any question I had. There were some parts I was looking for Art brought me in back by his serviceman Jack. I had a mirror question, he told me to come in back, behind the counter & into the shop area & showed me alot of stuff. These are guys who want to help out with the Gilroy bikes & I’m sure even when Polaris puts their Indians out, Art & Jack will still help out with the Gilroys & Kings Mountain bikes. I mean both of these guys could have said screw it, this guy isn’t from here & he didn’t but his bike here, so why care??? However, they did. They even asked I try to get back for their 3 day event after Sturgis & their ride on that Sunday. I will be a loyal customer to Art from this point on. I think Polaris, for many reasons, needs to get ahold of Art & while I would want him to stay with the dealership also, he should have some pull with Polaris & what they do.

Things I am hoping for out of Polaris with Indian…actually make Indians. Don’t just throw big fenders on Victories.

Stick with the Power Plus engine & get it figured out. It has a very different & appealing look. It’s a way to stand out & have something say INDIAN.

Finally, help out the owners of the last 2 go round bikes. While I don’t suggest do things for free for them, but at least get some service going for them. Gilroy & Kings Mountain left all the owners high & dry. Loyalty means alot to bikers. Do right by Gilroy & Kings Mountain owners & you do alot to make a loyal customer base.

16. 16 Jim Gianatsis / FastDates.com Jul 5th, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Who do we know in the “Biker” motorcycle industry has a minimum BS degree in a related industry and 1-15 years motorcycle marketing experience? It would have to be a laid off employee from a metric motorcycle industry or the car industry.

17. 17 burnout Jul 5th, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I am just a simple caveman but seems to me it will take four people to fill that job! peace

18. 18 Scout Jul 5th, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Check, check and check. Hmm.

19. 19 Independent Parts Jul 5th, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I think there’s room for both Victory and Indian on the showroom floor. At least it gives the public more choice, makes the factory work harder, and the sales people can offer better deals. Competition is still the cornerstone of capitalism, isnt it?
    Bring it on, I say.

20. 20 Kustoms and Choppers Jul 5th, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Well Hopefully Indian Does well, a guy down the street from me has a new Indian, I have yet to see it up close but it does look nice.

21. 21 Richard Penn Jul 5th, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Please note: Kings Mountain has not, I repeat, has not left owners of their bikes “high & dry”. I have a 2009 Indian Chief that just got a software upgrade as part of the warrantee. Gilroy went bankrupt. Kings Mountain was sold. Big difference.

By the way, no offense to Art Welch, but my vote for best Indian Dealer goes to Justin and Leon at Indian Motorcycle Omaha.

22. 22 Mike L. Jul 5th, 2011 at 5:38 pm

They ought to consider those kids that did the Legends of the Motorcycle show and had their own advertising agency out in California. What Indian needs are young people. Look at Triumph, Ducati, etc.

23. 23 MDSPHOTO Jul 5th, 2011 at 7:39 pm

This job is akin to being a given the job at Pepsi and told to grow sales in Atlanta,
    the global headquarters for Coke.

24. 24 Mike Jul 5th, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I recently purchased a new 2011 Victory Jackpot. This is one nice machine, it is really nicely designed and rides superbly. It will be interesting to see how Polaris does up the Indian and what price range it will ( needs) to be in. (20k max, plus options) if they want sales to flourish.

The one major complaint, I have against Victory, is the lack of custom part available and T shirts!!!!!!

25. 25 Art Welch Jul 5th, 2011 at 9:54 pm

No offense taken Richard.. I’m actually happy that you feel Omaha is a good dealer. They are currently one of the few that stick out in my mind as another good dealer that people can go to and feel confident. We always try to go the extra mile, and although we can’t ever promise to make everyone happy, we always try.
    And Brett, Thank you so much for the compliments. Things that you read like that are sometimes the only things left that make you feel like you still want to be a part of it all. Thank you for that.. I’ll pass your notes on here on to Jack. He’s like family here, and I’m glad we made you feel at home.
    We hope to see ya in August little buddy….

26. 26 Trent Jul 5th, 2011 at 10:01 pm

The only person in v-twin the industry with more than 15 years of experience in marketing working for international companies for major brands, with more than 15 years of success in the motorcycle industry, who understands the business and designs with class is Cyril Huze! But I would be surprised he would want to move to MN, even for such a job.

27. 27 Art Welch Jul 5th, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Yeah! Comon Cyril! Move on out here! I’ll give ya my office!.. well if you can really call it that!

28. 28 ndabunka Jul 6th, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Qualified – but past quota targets have been in the billion dollar range. It would be interesting to see what kind of volume they have had and/or are interest in generating.

29. 29 kc cheef Jul 6th, 2011 at 5:18 pm

@ Richard Penn.
    Richard; If you just got the recently you are VERY lucky from what I’ve been told.
    Seems those upgrades have been pulled.
    From what I understand the KM bikes out there that still have the stumble will continue to have it until Polaris reviews the upgrade and begins distributing it again. (If they can)
    As for Gilroy going bankrupt?
    No they did NOT go bankrupt.
    Do some research–interesting story behind the fall of Gilroy.
    Bankruptcy was not a part of it though.

30. 30 kc cheef Jul 6th, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Indian Omaha!!!
    I got an Indian Omaha story to tell that would crack you up.

31. 31 Greg Jul 6th, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Sorry but I think Greybeard and Jason just don’t get it. I bought a 2010 Victory Cross Roads and love it. I would also love the 2010 Indian Chief Bomber (if I could afford one :-P) but for different reasons. A Victory is a Victory and an Indian is an Indian; they need to remain totally separate from one another. I would not be more willing to buy a Victory just because you call it an Indian.

Victory is “The New American Motorcycle” and has a distinctive new style. Indian on the other hand is the “Original American Motocycle” company (r left off on purpose BTW).

Indian had a reputation of leading edge technology which Polaris can bring to the table, but they need to keep the heritage and spirit of the Indian name. I’m really looking forward to what Polaris does to try and return the Indian name to the forefront of American Iron.

32. 32 Steve Hog Radio Producer Jul 7th, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Getting in here late but…I belive this job like all other Motorcycling marketing jobs better be filled with a person looking to bring in outside of the industry thinking.

Here ios what I mean:

1. Much of what passes as Motorcycle Marketing is Media Buy People/agencies who sole reason for being is to purchase ad time and magazine space for said manufacturer. (Often times becuase manufacturer doesnt want to think long term.

2. Lifestyle is what makes H-D what it is, period. The ability as one poster put it: to build a “high priced base bike that needs to be customized” is a great profit based concept that H-D figured out long ago. No other type of vehicle is sold this way – yes in the car world you can special order various factory additions and mods but very limited. In the H-D world you have thousands of mods not only from H-D but a slew of other H-D centric parts makers.

3. Indian is in a class of itself and should be sold as such. It should not be sold as a rival to H-D or Victory but a stand alone product for a specific client base. BMW does not try to sell to a chevy guy he sells to a porche guy. Why? Becuase they are in the same class: THE MONEY CLASS.

4. Marketing should be based on a 5 year plan not a quarterly plan. Includes role out and sustainabitiy, as in Dealer training and such.

5. Plenty of folks who ride H-D’s ride ATV’s and snowmobiles. These are the same folks who also own $100,000 dollar toy haulers that carry both their H-D and ATV along with them on extended trips around the states. I have met quite a few while on vacations with my family. They are as much a “biker” as the guy who owns a 98 glide and a beat up pick up truck.

Best to Polaris and may they see Indian live for many more years.

33. 33 Brett Jul 8th, 2011 at 11:28 am

Richard, what I mean by high & dry is they are not going to be around. Look at the Indian Motorcycle Community forum & you will see alot of owners figuring out the problems & doing their own fixes. When Polaris Indians come out in 2013, if they turn their back on the former owners, KM owners are left high & dry. KM is closed. No one will be servicing the bike.

I’m not saying any of the parent companies are at fault. I saying the owners are left sitting hoping they can find parts & people who can do work or help them do the work.

Just saying it would go along way if Polaris can & does help these owners out.

34. 34 Art Welch Jul 9th, 2011 at 12:10 pm

At this point in time, we know that Polaris will support the Gilroy bikes. Their plan is pretty expansive.. in the meanwhile, if anyone needs help with 99-03 and 09-11 Models.. Feel free to give us a call. The First Polaris INDIAN / VICTORY meeting is at the end of this month. I will be happy to report any good news I am allowed to share shortly there after.

If anyone needs help please feel free to give us a call. 651-765-9988

35. 35 steveb Jul 11th, 2011 at 11:49 pm

sounds like a traditional consumer packaged goods job… albeit a fun one that will take an ungodly amount of work

Crusher