Massive Victory Motorcycles Presence In Sturgis

In addition to their downtown Sturgis location at  First and Main, for the 71th edition of rally,  Victory will bring 3 x 18-wheelers unloading its largest ever test fleet available for demo rides.

As an official Sponsor of the Sturgis Legendary Buffalo Chip, Victory will also participle in Chip activities all week and donating a bike to be given away at the end of the rally. Here’s what Victory owners and other rally goers can look forward to:

1- Demo Rides on all Victory models, August 6-12 9:00 -5:00 at I-90, Exit 30.  30 bikes will be available from the value priced, blacked-out 8-Ball series to the Victory Vision Tour will be available to ride from Saturday August 6th to Friday August 12th from 9 a.m. till 5 p.m. Downtown hours for the Victory Store will be Saturday,August 6th until Saturday, August 13th from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m.

2- A Unique Display of Victory Products at 1100 Main Street, August 6-12 from 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. VIP visits from Victory partners Arlen, Cory and Zack Ness, Roland Sands, The Klock Werks team and Survivor TV Series star Rupert Boneham

3-  A Victory Owners Ride and Reception at the Buffalo Chip August 11. 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. self-guided ride. starting in Deadwood, and ending at the Buffalo Chip and will include food and soft drinks. As an official sponsor of the legendary Buffalo Chip, Victory will provide free Special Guest parking. Victory owners will also have access to the Buffalo Chip Events Center with the 2011  5:00 – 8:00 p.m. reception. • A Chance to win a Free Klock Werks customized Victory Kingpin

For more information, on Victory at Sturgis, including updated times and dates, go to Victory At Sturgis.

21 Responses to “Massive Victory Motorcycles Presence In Sturgis”

1. 1 jonesy Jul 20th, 2011 at 9:10 am

There’s one good thing about this for sure – it may spur H-D to increased innovation and better performing products. Victory is still a tiny, tiny company by any standard, but anything they can do to rattle H-D’s cage should be positive for consumers.

2. 2 Fathead Jul 20th, 2011 at 9:21 am

With this kind of push Indian may compete again

3. 3 Greg Jul 20th, 2011 at 9:46 am

Tiny company? Polaris is a huge company.

4. 4 John H Jul 20th, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Jonesy…With Polaris sales of 1.99 billion…Tiny? Granted Victory is a smaller division of Polaris, but with the company seeing extreme growth and major focus on motorcycles…tiny really isn’t the best description

5. 5 Toby Jul 20th, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Agreed! Victory has a bright future with Polaris’ resources behind them. R&D, distribution, maintenance facilities. Competition is good for the breed. Now if we could just get Victory to stop using those rub on graphics….

6. 6 Mike Jul 20th, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I own a few HDs and wanted something custom and different, Harley does not have anything in that category currently. I purchased a new 2011 Jackpot, installed some Ness Ram bars, custom flamed seat,to go along with the white & black pearl paint, 250 tire and 21″ front. Killer machine with that 106 / 6 speed.

Well done Victory

7. 7 jonesy Jul 20th, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Guys, you are conflating Victory with Polaris and flaunting your ignorance. Go look at the Polaris 10Ks or 10Qs and you will see that they only sell about $20M worth of motorcycles per quarter which at an average of $18K per bike would be about 1100 per quarter and 4400 per year. Compare that to H-D shipping 210,000 bikes in 2010 and tell me Victory is not tiny. Let me rephrase: Victory sells exactly 2% of the motorcycle H-D sells. Yet another way to put it: for every one bike Victory sells, H-D sells 50. The big four Japanese makers are in the hundreds of thousands of units as well. This is why you never see Victory disclose units in their statements or press releases, only dollar figures. There is a misapprehension out there, as you gents have ably demonstrated, and which I believe is caused mainly by disproportionate press coverage, that Victory is a legit competitor to H-D, but in business terms, they are a fly on the ass. Now, for the record, I wish them the best, and I think any and all competition is great for consumers, but do not let the Victory PR machine fool you. It is a tiny, tiny brand. This part is conjecture, but I would guess with high confidence that they would have gone out of business a long time ago if not for being a part of a much bigger company.

8. 8 jonesy Jul 20th, 2011 at 2:11 pm

That’s in a terrible economy, too. Back in 2006, H-D was selling more in a two-month period than Victory had sold since they came on the market!

9. 9 just my opinion Jul 20th, 2011 at 3:27 pm

jonesy; I am not sure why you feel the need to bash Polaris/ Victory but have you bothered to look at the growth percentages of both companies? HD has gained sales over the past year of about 7% which is great but they are still way down from where they were just 5 years ago. During that same period of time Victory has increased its market share each and every year. Last year they had an increase of around 40 percent. With growth like that it will take but a few short years to be a real competetor for HD. Not sure if you have heard yet or not but HD has also been losing Police departments in favor of Victory also. This fact may not seem like much to you but those cops talk to people about the bikes they ride all the time and those talks help sell bikes, especially when they start talking about how much better they like that Victory over the HD. I can tell you for a fact it is happening because I have had a talk like this with a cop recently. Victory may not be as big as HD “yet” but if Victory will keep going at their current rate they will not only catch HD but they will likely be the company that replaces HD as the preferred “American Made Motorcycle” and then you have the fact that HD has taken control of Indian motorcycles. If they bring Indian into the future with a liqiud cooled bike that retains the old school look HD will have another fly on their ass as you put it. Now I am certainly not gonna say that Victory is great and HD sucks because the truth is I think they are both great bikes and wish both companies well but I also think Polaris/Victory is doing everything right at this point and that HD will at some point need to step into the future and start building a liqiud cooled bike or they will fade away. But that is just my opinion.

10. 10 just my opinion Jul 20th, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Last post should read Victory has taken control of Indian not HD. That is what happens when in a hurry.

11. 11 Rick Lossner Jul 21st, 2011 at 7:14 am

And…. they are growing.. I’m looking forward to a test ride…. at 106ci and serious HP to boot… has my attention.

Curious how their Cross Country compares to my HD RG

12. 12 bobber9 Jul 22nd, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Polaris has a potential long term game changer in their pocket with Indian. If they play their design/marketing cards right with the marque h-d will have a volume competitor.

As to the suggestion of putting a liquid cooled engine (with it’s ugly ass car radiator) in an ‘American’ bike, give me a break. That would be like permanently attaching a Rosanne Barr mask on Jessica Alba’s pretty face. Buy a Japanese cruiser if that’s what you want. Don’t spoil it for the rest of us.

13. 13 Minnesota Kingpin Jul 23rd, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Anyone who tries to argue that HD is a better bike, think again. While HD has the history, style and heritage (and they will come for the young Victory company), Victory bikes FAR surpass in performancem technology and reliability. The last time chain drives were used on anything was back in the 1930s….except for HD… they still use them to this day. Step into 2011 and compete, seriously. I have owned 3 HD’s and had significant problems with all three. People just buy into the whole “biker” thing. Truth is that most Harley riders are 60 year old insurance salesmen, not badasses like they seem to think.

14. 14 Pin05 Jul 23rd, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Rick-

I have a 2010 Victory Cross Country and I absolutely love it. The bike handles extremely well and corners like a dream. Just go in to your local Victory dealer and test ride one. You wont be sorry.

It is nice to see Victory have such a presence in Sturgis. They really do make nice bikes and I am glad they are exposing more of America to them. I find it fascinating how some Harley riders get so butt hurt any time someone brings up Victory. If you are a Harley fan so be it but why spend your time attacking another American company? Doesn’t make sense.

Jonesy,

The Victory branch of Polaris may be tiny compared to the marketing machine that is Harley but remember at one time Indian was larger then HD. Just sayin, competition is a good thing. I am glad Victory is here. If they weren’t I would probably own a HD because I believe in buying American.

Ride safe!

15. 15 tatooz14 Jul 23rd, 2011 at 8:47 pm

When there wasn’t any competition HD was the way to go, It was either jap crap or HD. It was verry cool to to say I ride a Harley. Times change and so dose technology, Victory is blazing a new path with its new 106ci motor. If the HD riders would open their mind and look at the Victory line and how the motors are built and how they ride and perform they would jump ship.

16. 16 1550tc Jul 23rd, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Truth is that most Harley riders are 60 year old insurance salesmen, lol speak for yourself iam not ready for a geezzer or tri glide ……..ave age in sturgis is probaly 47-50???

the doo rag buy a new bike every 2 years and ride it 1500 miles a year riders do fuel that whole new bike market

Does anybody know their projected 011 or 010 sales figures???

If you know Polaris at all you know their like a rat nibbling away at the big HD cheese!! They have some great dealers……..most are wayway better off than any of the original Indian/Gilroy dealers….some of the Polaris dealers in some markets are in better shape financially than the 50,000 sq ft plus HD dealers!

Polaris with victory and indian is like toyota wth Lexus and scion going up against Benz and BMW in the 90’s and scion in the 2000’s going into the niche car market ………so look out HD

17. 17 Bryan sb Jul 24th, 2011 at 12:16 am

I have a Victory, Hammer in nuclear sunset and all my friends have Harley’s. All of them love my bike and so do I ! Enjoy the ride !!!!

18. 18 Brewse Jul 24th, 2011 at 11:38 am

I spoke with Arlen Ness recently at his showroom in Dublin,CA. He told me that last month he sold 6 Victory’s to local Hell’s Angels, the tide is turning!

19. 19 Patrick Jul 24th, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Tiny? Ohhhhkay…. I think it ain’t a bad thing. If tiny is what produces bikes that run hard, don’t break, don’t leak, look good and feel good- then I’m all for tiny.
    None of my three Vics have ever left me standing on the side of a road, so I don’t leave them in the garage!

20. 20 Utah Red Jul 25th, 2011 at 12:14 am

I was originally drawn to Victory by the fact they’re American made, RELIABLE and NOT an HD. My wife and I took a ride last summer through southern Utah and at least 70% of the bikes we saw on the road were Harleys. I don’t want to ride the same bike everyone else does. Everywhere I go people comment on how cool my bike looks and they want to know what it is. Then the conversation turns to reliability and performance and the advantages there. I know there will be a day when I see a lot more Victory bikes on the road. For now I just enjoy being the head turner and racking up trouble free miles.

21. 21 Jim Jul 25th, 2011 at 10:19 am

How about this… We as bikers just enjoy the fact that we now have an choice in an American motorcycle. So buy the bike you like and ride it. Enjoy the fact that Vic helped make your HD better and HD helped make your Vic better.

I will say that the huge presence in Sturgis make me extremely curious about the 2012 Vic Lineup to be unveiled tomorrow night at their dealer show. Very curious…

JMHO,