New And Interesting Bagger Kit For Harley Sportster

Encouraged by the success of the Pro-Tour X Bagger he built a couple of years ago for the S&S Cycle 50th Anniversary, Doug Wozney obsessed with the idea of turning a factory Harley Sportster, the lightest American made platform, into a strong performance bagger  with a low center-of-gravity and superior cornering ability and wrapped in an aggressive Pro-Street/Touring cloak. The XL chassis dressed by Doug with its new touring chassis kit makes the final bike a cool 250 pounds less than a heavyweight factory touring model. Must be of interest to a lot of bikers from both sexes. The only modification is a change to the stock drivetrain, using a longer V-Rod® drive belt eliminating hassles at OEM dealerships with service/repairs.

Named The Pro-Tour S Kit, this chassis kit seems to be to me the world’s 1st drop-seat, lightweight bagger based on a Genuine XL platform, featuring a 22 inch seat height while maintaining 5.5 inches of ground clearance, identical wheelbase as the heavyweight touring models for excellent ride quality. Doug told me that this touring version of the Sportster keeps the nimble handling characteristics of the original factory XL. Lean angle left or right is 45 degrees and the pegs are the first components to sense the road, not the clamshell storage or exhaust.

The rear clamshell and mid-frame compartments have similar storage capacity as a pair of OEM hardbags, with the widest part of the clamshell remaining 6.5 inches narrower than the OEM hardbag models. With part of the storage in the mid-frame covers it is easier to separate (and therefore FIND) items. In addition, this moves that weight more forward in the chassis, which enhances the bike’s high speed handling characteristics. A Passenger seat/pegs are soon to follow, along with a luggage rack option.

Some of my readers will notice that the featured Pro-Tour ‘S’ pictures in this article show an earlier earlier frame-mount configuration with an S&S Cycle 100 cubic inch engine. This was done purposely by Doug to test the strength of the fiberglass components used in this transformation. If they held up on this platform, they certainly would be durable on the rubber mount models. Doug was happy to report to me that, to date, no stress cracks or weak points in the design have surfaced on his bike.

Currently, Doug Wozney is selling and doing the installation of this kit at his facility and plans are underway to offer it as a weld-in kit to qualified shops. The current pricing – not including the cost of a donor bike – is MSRP $14,500.00. This would be a turn-key bike, ready to ride in Black Epoxy primer on all sheetmetal/fiberglass components and the frame modification painted gloss black. The only additional cost beyond that would be for painting the sheet metal/bodywork – which is hard to estimate based on everyone’s personal taste. Doug doesn’t foresee this becoming a bolt-on. It will likely remain a weld-on kit.

This Pro-Tour S Bagger will be exhibited in Sturgis at Lazelle & 6th Street on the display of FrameLock, another Wisconsin company marketing a very clever bike transportation system without the need to use wheel chocks that can scratch your high-end wheels, or tie downs that tend to loosen with the catastrophic results you know. Pay them a visit. I will.  Dougz Custom Paint And Fabrication.

32 Responses to “New And Interesting Bagger Kit For Harley Sportster”

1. 1 Dave Blevins Aug 4th, 2011 at 8:22 am

Very impressive. Certainly not a cookie cutter bike, and seems to be a well thought design.

2. 2 Dragon Bobby Aug 4th, 2011 at 8:29 am

IT WOULD BE ALOT CHEAPER AND EASYER JUSY TO BY A VICTORY VISION 8BALL AND YOU WOULD HAVE A BETTER BIKE.

3. 3 Hamilton Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:09 am

Great looking. Seems like Doug did his work. Sportster purists are going to scream, but I know a lot of guys and gals wishing to tour a Sportster.

4. 4 Derrick Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:13 am

The bags design is very smooth and cool. I see a lot of ladies with $$$ doing this to their Sporty.

5. 5 Don Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:14 am

Excellent thought. HD is going to copy…

6. 6 Debbie Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:32 am

I love my Sportster so much that I had a windshield and hard bags put on her…she is my mini touring bike. BUT, this kit is unbelievable and as Derrick says above many guys and gals will like to do this to their Sportster….I was thinking of getting the new HD Switchback…I would rather do this to my Sportster! Great work gentlemen!!

7. 7 laurence zankowski Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:55 am

would have bought this instead of the road king if harley made one…

oh well, but Doug did it right.Well done!

8. 8 burnout Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:55 am

Sportster or not this is a nice custom. peace

9. 9 Nobody Aug 4th, 2011 at 10:11 am

looks neat, but reminds me too much of a Victory..

10. 10 1550tc Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:29 pm

not including the cost of a donor bike – is MSRP $14,500.00.

nice kit Doug but to do any volume with it and with that new dyna being what 15900?? might be a lil tough

and at 14 , 500 you better have this option…. A Passenger seat/pegs are soon to follow, along with a luggage rack option, real fast!!!!!!

11. 11 Laurence zankowski Aug 4th, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Now that I think about it, why not a whole line up of solo tourers? Mount some type of luggage/hard pack on the back with back padding and I think this could be big. What about all those Buells that are out there? Could this be done to them?

Just thinking….

12. 12 Toby Aug 4th, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Might sell a few to RUBs but at $14,500 it’s a bit pricey for body work. If you are spending $14,500 you are probably going to want a decent donor bike ($7,000+/-) plus a bunch of performance and shiny parts ($5,000+/-). Now we are well in to $ CVO territory.

13. 13 XH-D Rider Aug 4th, 2011 at 4:29 pm

WOW that is thinking out side the box!

You know haley would never think of any thing like that.

J hope this guy sells a ton of them

14. 14 roscoe Aug 4th, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Similar to the Honda Pacific Coast.
    If this wasn’t a HD people would be slamming it for being so darn ugly.

15. 15 Sheridan Aug 4th, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I’m not a Bagger or Sportster fan, but WOW!!! Amazing work, and a great looking bike!

16. 16 John E Adams Aug 4th, 2011 at 7:44 pm

You are right on the turn key Cyril, this is gorgeous!

17. 17 Aaron Aug 4th, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Great concept, great execution. Should be done , as much as possible, as a bolt-on kit, even fiberglass, at half the price. A lot of money could be made by Doug selling this kit. Should rush to patent it.

18. 18 hk Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:51 pm

kinda awkward

19. 19 Woody Aug 4th, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Very nice, big thumbs up!

20. 20 Sportster Mike Aug 5th, 2011 at 1:59 am

Yes, I like it, but as others say will be very expensive to do it all..
    BUT by adding less weight (as Colin Chapman would say) it makes a great bagger

21. 21 Hungouver Aug 5th, 2011 at 5:17 am

Kinda cool looking, qnd you could make some extra scratch as a dump truck!

22. 22 jameslacr Aug 5th, 2011 at 7:40 am

I have sat on this bike and it is very comfortable. Toby, go to Dougz site and you’ll see that it’s not just body work. It’s an enginered frame mod. that makes a great long rider.

23. 23 MotoXcycle Aug 5th, 2011 at 7:56 am

Nice work!

24. 24 Wahl E. Gator Aug 5th, 2011 at 8:55 am

I like it.

25. 25 live2rideaglide Aug 5th, 2011 at 9:04 am

Awesome design , cutting edge , I’ve never seen anything quite like it. Great job, despite all the stupid comments about price and looking like a Victory . It never fails , anytime a designer comes up with a new and innovative design you pinheads out there begin to chime in with the same old crap , it looks like something else or it costs a lot. Anything you build can be compared to ,in some respects to other bikes but look for the uniqueness in the design and fabrication of THIS bike. Hey wait a minute , you goobs are right, it looks like my bike, they both have two wheels. By the way this conversion is not available at WalMart or Family Dollar but maybe you can get one when KMart has a blue light special . Custom design ,original
    and unique conversions are gonna cost more than your off the assembly line Vespa so the comparison of
    that nature are moot. Apples and oranges, girls. It aint for everybody , hence the name custom. Way to go Doug.

26. 26 tut Aug 5th, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Gorgeous bike!!

27. 27 Mike Tomas Kiwi Indian MC Co Aug 5th, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Dougie, You guys are way cool. Love this thing. Awesome work but then again I wouldn’t have expected anything less from you. Keep on rocking guyz

28. 28 bigalyts Aug 6th, 2011 at 9:28 am

Wow! That’s all I can say. What a great looking, well thoughtout and engineered Bike. I READ ALL THE COMMENTS FROM THOSE , FOR THE LACK OF A BETTER WORD “PINHEADS” IIVE2RIDESGLIDE say’s it spot on, .Doug, I believe you got a Winner here. The $7,000 Donor figure is a pretty fair base to the overall cost. The $5,000 for the Engine was an idiotic frivolous do$$ar figure. The 80HP from the rear wheel HP is achievable with the Exhaust and Carb and Air Filter. The Bike already has the Exhaust with the $14,000 Built figure. Laurance zankowski, look at the S3T 1998-2002 Buel. The “T” meaning touring. What a great Bike and I might add a “Monkey Wrench” as an Alternative to the “Sporty” Bagger scenario. For $3-$5,000 your have a Fantastic Bagger, that handles, moves and Stops with World Class Brakes. The S3T was ahead of it’s time. And for all the Non-Believers out there that are talking “Victory’s and 8Balls and???” “If you have to ask why, you will never understand” ! YOU PUTZ’s

29. 29 martin Twofeather Aug 6th, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I think it’s great for those sporty people,but for cost return wow what a lose lose situation.

30. 30 Doug Wozney Aug 7th, 2011 at 8:39 am

I don’t think Cyril would appreciate me responding to comments here on his blog as it certainly would have the tone of advertising my work. Thank you Cyril for posting the FrameLock/Pro-Tour ‘S’ Press Release. I’ll be in Sturgis Wednesday afternoon and hope to meet with Cyril and everyone interested in this transformation at the FrameLock vendor display.
    I will respond to the few negative/neutral comments in the blog area of my website as well as in my wordpress blog, but will leave one response here to Martin Twofeather’s comment because I’ve had a number of people question the ‘return on investment’ with this transformation.
    When does ANYONE get -even 50%- of their investment back when putting their hard-earned $$$ in accessories/customizing in any model – Big Twin or otherwise? We customize/transform our machines to fit our taste, our budget, our riding style and our body structure. I’ve worked with hundreds of people over the years who’ve spent thousands of dollars trying to find a way to feel comfortable on their machines – both psychologically and physically. When you decide to to trade/sell your bike and you get ALL the $$$ you’ve invested in your scooter back, please share your secret with us.

31. 31 catfishcustoms Aug 8th, 2011 at 10:50 am

great idea and concept for a one off custom. but it looks like a scooter.

32. 32 Harlan Schiilinger Sep 7th, 2011 at 7:59 am

Nice. your stuff is always nice!