Moto Undone. A Representation Of Generic Transportation.

Is the past a blueprint for the future? Sometimes. But the job of an artist is to challenge the accepted norm and to design with a completely fresh look at what can be next. “Stripping machines down to their core essence and rebuilding them leads me to new discoveries, thoughts and inspiration” says designer Joey Ruiter. Agreed, but some of you may make the remark that this concept machine is not stripped down to the bare parts, just dressed to look as it is.

For sure he is stripping away historical attributes of the motorcycle design and offers a vision of pure generic transportation where the bike almost disappears. “Moto Undone” power comes from a 1000w 48v electric hub motor offering a range of 90 miles or about 3 hours. All gauges and riding information, like speed and gps, is displayed through smart phones by downloadable apps. On display at the GRAM, Grand Rapids Art Museum, september 21 – October 9, 2011. Joey Ruiter Studio.

36 Responses to “Moto Undone. A Representation Of Generic Transportation.”

1. 1 Matt Sep 15th, 2011 at 8:22 am

Finally the perfect bike to go with my Mac Pro tower computer! =)

2. 2 bshirk Sep 15th, 2011 at 8:55 am

What’s the point? A waste of time.

3. 3 Ken Glenn Sep 15th, 2011 at 9:15 am

I’ve heard of things being a Brick in the wind tunnel, but this just might be one.

4. 4 tejasandre Sep 15th, 2011 at 10:08 am

way to think inside the box.

5. 5 burnout Sep 15th, 2011 at 10:11 am

Not touching this one. peace

6. 6 CafeSportyTC Sep 15th, 2011 at 10:19 am

was he trying to be…. original? worst “artist” ever…. i hate this kind of crap

7. 7 www.thatmotorcycleshow.com Sep 15th, 2011 at 10:48 am

Hey kid’s! You too can be like today’s hipster! Beard, check. Euro shoes, check. Surly attitude, check Square motorcycle, check. Cool factor? Priceless! Ha!

8. 8 Jeff Nicklus Sep 15th, 2011 at 11:18 am

Damn, I wonder if it is too late for me to become a Doctor like my mother wanted ?????? This industry is going to hell in a hand basket!

Obviously “Joey” is no block head ….. next thing you know Obama will send this guy half a billion dollars to develop this, this, whatever the hell it is …… 6 months later “Joey” can file bankruptcy! Got to love it when a plan comes together!

Over & Out,

Jeff

9. 9 Larry R Sep 15th, 2011 at 11:19 am

What? Why? There goes the neighborhood!

10. 10 chopmonster66 Sep 15th, 2011 at 11:19 am

is this what you have to build now to get noticed ?

11. 11 Dave Blevins Sep 15th, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I always wondered what it would be like to ride a toaster….

12. 12 fluke Sep 15th, 2011 at 1:43 pm

So it’s a Walmart electric bicycle wearing a fridge. I guess all the paper bags were taken.

13. 13 live2rideaglide Sep 15th, 2011 at 3:25 pm

The artistic statement here is , ” I am a dork, thus I must design and build dorkiest contarption ever photographed “. It is titled ” Tribute to Obama “.

14. 14 Hungouver Sep 15th, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Cheeze grater

15. 15 CafeSportyTC Sep 15th, 2011 at 5:17 pm

or it says “mommy didnt hug me enough so i have to do weird things to get attention….”

16. 16 Imaginethat Sep 15th, 2011 at 7:27 pm

This is not art or anything just JUNK

17. 17 Nobody Sep 15th, 2011 at 8:19 pm

too bland, indeed looks like a toaster. now if he had went more artdeco or channeled a 40’s era radio then it’d better.

18. 18 J Sep 15th, 2011 at 8:41 pm

When he rides it with square wheels, then I’ll be impressed….

19. 19 Woody Sep 15th, 2011 at 10:06 pm
  20. 20 I Get it Sep 15th, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Obviously you people do not get it.

It’s art and either you get it or you don’t, nothing else matters…

21. 21 Fernando Sep 15th, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I think I saw this bike on an episode of Logan’s Run… Dude’s nuts must kill him riding that thing. There are so many other more creative artistic/modern motorcycles out there. I’m sure this one ain’t gonna pull any enthusiasts to the museum. I equate making a motorcycle that looks like a network server, to making a 3 piece suit out of DACRON; it may work, but it is stupid looking and will cause major chafing in the groin area.

22. 22 Fausto Sep 16th, 2011 at 4:03 am

That looks like the perfect rolling billboard, just stick your add on it and park it anywhere, guaranteed to get attention. The next one should have two flat screen TV`s so the ads can be played over and over again.

23. 23 baddad Sep 16th, 2011 at 4:04 am

Great. Pure Bauhaus. Bad photos.

24. 24 Steve Carr Sep 16th, 2011 at 6:17 am

Looks like something a welding shop in Florida built, designed by a T-shirt artist, and judged by preacher at a local bike event, while a blonde with a fake bright personality cheers everyone on.!!!

Now thats funny, I dont care who you are!!!!

Steve Carr

25. 25 Rex Havoc Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:24 am

I reckon it’s brilliant. I showed my wife and she said “Yuk, it doesn’t even look like a motorcycle” which i reckon would put a smile on Joey Ruiter’s face.

He says “moto undone ignores what makes motorcycles interesting, we want to re-set the definition of a motorbike by stripping away historical attributes that make them so great. It’s hard to image a motorcycle without fancy paint, overpowered motors, exposed mechanical genius, and sweet exhaust tones. Moto undone is pure generic transportation and by motorbike category definition it isn’t very cool.”

26. 26 Donny Brechter Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:38 am

Cyril loves to do provocative journalism. And he succeeds at what he wants. Comments.

27. 27 Kroeter Sep 16th, 2011 at 8:05 am

Bonus Dork Feature: the reflection makes it look like you’re riding side-saddle.

Where he has succeed is to make us talk and think about his contraption, good or bad.

I say, If we want “pure transporation” we’ll take the train, bus, taxi, or walk. If we want to ride a “motorbike” then it’s gotta be something that defines who the rider is.

28. 28 Matt Sep 16th, 2011 at 9:17 am

Gotta love how some people actual get offended by this. That’s when you know you’ve created art =).

29. 29 Kustoms and Choppers Sep 16th, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Its generic alright

30. 30 Arie Sep 16th, 2011 at 5:25 pm

LMAO Woody!

31. 31 roscoe Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I wouldn’t buy one, but I like it.

32. 32 Kirk Perry Sep 17th, 2011 at 9:00 am

His shop has a dirt floor.

33. 33 ncdragster Sep 17th, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I look like to see this loser make even I slight low speed turn! Can you say oops I fell over….

34. 34 Kirk Perry Sep 19th, 2011 at 10:43 am

I like it. M/C needs more whack.

35. 35 Rob Sep 21st, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Anyone can build a bike from parts ordered on line or from a catalogue. Now Thats talent! . Not everyone can create and have the ability to do all the work themselves. Call it what you want Art or ugly , but at least the designer had the skills to acomplish what many out there cant do. Thats Create! I know of a so called bike builder out there that cant even drill a hole in a piece of metal without burning up the bit yet get a tire properly centered in the frame without it falling off while riding . Grab some metal , a pipe bender and get to work. Lighten up! Get some talent! and then make a intelligent comment.

36. 36 Brett Ray Sep 28th, 2011 at 8:47 am

Rob
    artist”?So you’re saying if someone can’t build themselves, they can’t say crap stinks? And that is CRAP.
    I, along with many others believe, I have the talent to build. I have built from the ground up on many things not just motorcycles. I’ve done everything from boats to buildings to airplanes as well as bikes. When I say ground up, I mean I build the frames, tanks, fenders, handlebars and controls etc. I even do my own paint. Sometimes I even make things like my own master cylinders, valve covers, engine case covers as well as internal parts. That thing is just a piece of crap with nothing artistic about it.
    I guess if I go out in my shop and throw some wheels and an engine on that diamond plate, truck tool box then I’m a visionary? Not! At least with that you would have some storage.
    And yes I did throw up a bit in my mouth. Good job “artist”