My Time To Ride” is an interesting Harley-Davidson video series featuring 4 women in their journey to fulfill their desire to ride a motorcycle. Katie, Roshani, Gabriella and Laurie were relatively ordinary women with relatively ordinary lives. For diverse personal reasons they want to break free and hit the road on their own Harley-Davidson®. Claudia Garber, the Director of Women’s Outreach at Harley-Davidson made this statement in a press release: “This series captures some amazing life transformations as these women find the liberation that can only be found on the road, from the seat of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. Learning to ride a motorcycle is a powerful life-changing experience, and this comes through in these videos. We hope these four women will inspire other courageous women to take the first step toward learning to ride.”

And if you wonder, like me, how these 4 women were chosen, I have the answer. It all started when they won a nationwide contest that the Motor Company hosted this summer. There were over 35,000 people who entered the contest with descriptive essays of the reasons they wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle. After all entries were received, only four winners were chosen. Watch the first 2 episodes (out of 6) where you can follow these women traveling to Milwaukee and taking a Harley-Davidson Rider’s Edge New Rider course… Jump to “My Time To Ride

12 Responses to “My Time To Ride. A Harley-Davidson Video Series About 4 Women Breaking Free And Hitting The Road.”

1. 1 Dremmer Oct 9th, 2011 at 10:59 am

More power to the ladies

2. 2 Toby Oct 9th, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Never been a huge fan of Riders Edge. It is just above the minimum MSF requirements. If you have some experience riding, there are cheaper options for getting the minimum. If you are new to riding then about half of all riders need more “experience” beyond the MSF minimum and have a higher percentage of dropping out (see below). I have always recommended other private courses over Riders Edge to newbies that include the use of two different bikes, an extra day of practice in a large area (about ten acres of asphalt as compared to the typical Harley dealer parking lot), AND a day of group riding after the students get the endorsement. Success rate for newbies is much higher.

This is where I think the Riders Edge course fails from a marketing point of view. By making the course (optionally) longer with more “activities” there is a higher chance that the dealer will capture that rider as a customer. I realize that many dealers use the course as a profit center, and I don’t blame them. The MSF does require that dealers not “sell” during class time, but beyond that class time there is a huge opportunity being missed.

Glad to see the ladies getting involved!

3. 3 Brett Oct 10th, 2011 at 6:42 am

I don’t like Rider’s Edge & I don’t like the “Safety Courses” given at Tech schools. I guess the classes themselves are alright & give riders other things to think about…but in Wisconsin, you take one of these courses, then go & take the WRITTEN temps test & if you pass, you get your license. No Road test needed.

What crap. & we wonder why so many bikes are in fatal wrecks. These people take the course & then think they can go jump on the highway.

I went the old route. I went in, took the written test got my temps & then later that year took my road test.
    They didn’t give the road test in my city until almost September, so I had to travel to take it. 1st RT was 40 minutes away. Guy wouldn’t give me the test because my horn didn’t honk.

2nd RT was hour & a half away from home. I had a retired Bike Highway Patrol cop giving me the test. He failed me & said he NEVER passes anyone the 1st time with him because there is way to much you need to know on a bike to not get killed.

Finally on the 3rd attempt, this time in my own city, I passed the Road test.

My wife…she took the rider’s course at the tech school I think it was 4 days total, went to the DMV took the written tests & then came home with her license. She never went & looked for a bike after & waited until she could buy a new Sportster…..so needless to say, by the time she had a bike, taking those classes were useless & I had to teach her all over again how to ride. After about 3 years of riding, I finally felt comfortable enough for us both to take the bikes on a road trip to Minnesota & through the Twin Cities.

& no matter how much riding they do, it seems most women are still afraid of the bike. Maybe that’s good, I dunno. I just have seen very few female riders who are willing to try to throw a bike around the way alot of guys will.

4. 4 Toby Oct 10th, 2011 at 11:08 am

States vary with respect to riding endorsements. All but two states (last I heard anyway) require the MSF course. About half the states require a written test at the state level (beyond the MSF written), and a few states require an actual road test by the states (most rely on the MSF riding test).

The overall philosophy of the MSF was to provide absolute minimum competence for new riders. I think it does that, and insurance data show significant declines in new rider injuries and death. However, too many riders think that is all they need.

5. 5 Gina Woods Oct 11th, 2011 at 9:59 am

“& no matter how much riding they do, it seems most women are still afraid of the bike. Maybe that’s good, I dunno. I just have seen very few female riders who are willing to try to throw a bike around the way alot of guys will”

Brett you need to pull your head out of the sand …or out of your ass.. maybe you need to travel more often! Not only do I know excellent women riders in Wisconsin..but MANY around the country that ride better than alot of guys. I for one can out ride alot of men “bikers”. I am not bragging in the least bit I am just saying I think you don’t get out much …. a few of the women I ride with – I ride with alot of men too, are just as good if not better than most.

6. 6 Jeff Nicklus Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Brett,

Like Gina said …. you need to get out more often! I know many, many excellent lady riders, Gina Woods being just one. I have ridden with Gina in the past and I have the utmost faith and trust in her riding abilities, don’t know that I can say that about a lot of the “guy” riders I know and have ridden with.

Just my 2 cents worth …

Over & Out,

Jeff

7. 7 zyon Oct 12th, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Took my road test in an ice storm in January… was freaking cold! The woman who administered the test was none too happy about being forced to stand outside while I drove in figure 8’s three times.

The PA road test is a joke and does not prove anyone’s ability to ride a motorcycle. Any safety course, in my opinion is better than nothing as anyone with a few hours on a bike can figure out how to do 3 figure 8’s in a row.

Most riders that I know never get their endorsement. They simply take the written test every year and renew their permit. I only took the test so I could toss the helmet in the garage and forget about it.

8. 8 Wiz Oct 15th, 2011 at 4:06 am

GRRRRRR!!! Ya ALL know how I feel about WOMEN in any Way/Shape/or Form!! I’m KINDA JADED right now with the recent divorce ‘an all! SHUT the HELL up ‘an GIT on tha BACK BITCH!!! Yuk-Yuk!! That ought to stir up the POT abit!! Any response Ladies??? Wiz

9. 9 MDSPHOTO Oct 15th, 2011 at 9:28 am

I took the MSF at the Honda corporate office where they had a huge asphalt track and huge dirt track. They never once tried to sell us on a Honda or any other bike. And, oh by the way, the two women in the class were by far the best students and riders!

10. 10 Alessandro Zamboni Oct 16th, 2011 at 5:04 am

Lady riders are getting their way to the streets nowadays, and in latest Harley Davidson exhibitions, here in Italy, I saw a growing number of girls with a Harley!
    So Katie, Roshani, Gabriella and Laurie are just getting themself out of the box, and this is a good thing.
    Who knows… in the future Harley could create motorbikes just for women!

See you,
    Alessandro

11. 11 Garage Girl Oct 18th, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Re: Wiz – I’ll bite….how about a little RESPECT. I’ll bet she left you. Take a look @ yourself.

12. 12 nicker Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Here’s some vintage Paladin, excerpts of an interview from the book, ‘Berkeley U.S.A.’ (Anne Moose, Alternative Press, 1981)

“…One of the things that a lot of people that I’m close to are into, is trying to get more women into riding. I guess you could say it’s part of our highway …”

“…The thing is, you’re born black, you’re born Chicano, you’re born Anglo-Saxon, Protestant, Jewish, Polynesian, whatever. Nobody is born a biker…”

And just so….. you’re born male or female.
    The only thing stop-n-ya from becoming a Scooter Tram is you… 🙂