Fast Motorcycle Industry News

Harley-Davidson US Dealers. Many of you will have to ride a longer distance to visit your preferred Harley-davidsoon dealer. During a recent conference at Ohio’s state University, Harley CEO Keith Wandell told the audience that North America, home to half of Harley-Davidson’s more than 1,400 dealer locations, has been overdeveloped. Between 60 and 70 stores have closed in recent years, and another 30 are expected to be trimmed from the field very soon. And I will add that you can’t expect the number of US dealers to increase again at least for the next decade. Harley-Davidson, like Polaris, will report its last quarter earnings on October 18, 2011.

XTreme Machine Wheel Designs Produced By Performance Machine. The radical wheel designs of Xtreme machine are being incorporated to the PM line and now produced at PM La Palma, CA facility. PM is now serving all former dealers and customers of XTreme Machine. A new line of accessories is announced for 2012.

Harley-Davidson Opens Middle East/North Africa Office. Harley-Davidson opened its regional office in Dubai, a city and emirate of the United Arab Emirates (UAE).  This office will help in supporting the regional dealers and riders. Interests in the Harley-Davidson brand seems to be strong amongst riders and non-riders of all generations of the MENA region (Middle East and North Africa.) Elsa Abi Nader is the local marketing manager.

17 Responses to “Fast Motorcycle Industry News”

1. 1 fuji Oct 14th, 2011 at 8:49 am

Your loyalty to our product is appreciated but we can no longer support your efforts / investment.

2. 2 rob Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:06 am

He makes it sound like it’s the dealers fault! The local dealer here in nyc is a mess,everytime you go in there are different emloyees.The MoCo needs to loosen up and the dealers need to pay their employees a fair wage and a decent benefits package……………..

3. 3 Big Mike Oct 14th, 2011 at 2:13 pm

One of the big reasons I went with a Harley bagger was dealer support when I travel. My other bike is a Big Dog and they made a very nice bagger, but the dealer network just wasn’t out there.

I love my Harley but if the dealer support goes away then Polaris might be the next best move?

4. 4 Mike Oct 14th, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I’m sorry but under Wandell’s leadership , Harley is run just like his previous employer Johnson Controls. To be quite frank, they have a very boring line up, and have lost focus to their true customers, by trying to invent a market ( the trash kids) that will never support the revenue streams that Harley enjoyed before.

Motorcycling used to be about adventure, now the customers have changed and ya need a stereo, glass holder and a GPS. Boring Baggers are fugly, but that is just my opinion.

I bought a new Victory Jackpot, because it was really different and fresh. It is a blast to ride.

I too love Harleys, but they ain’t my primary motorcycle company anymore for lots of reasons, but namely they don’t make anything I would buy, which is too bad.

There dosen’t seem to be too much innovation at Harley these days.

5. 5 BlueStrada Oct 15th, 2011 at 8:43 am

Yes. indeed.. something is missing …. The “Edge” is gone…. I just watched my neghbor ride off with a huge grin after trading his HD for a New Victory Vision.. My God.. his wife was grinning too!

6. 6 Will2002 Oct 15th, 2011 at 9:47 am

The new CEO of Harley-Davidson may be good for the stock holders of the MoCo, but he is NOT good for the riders of the motorcycles they build! JMHO.

7. 7 FlaNativ Oct 15th, 2011 at 10:20 am

I have to agree, I’ll keep my ’01 bagger as it has given me good service but the next new bike may very well be a Victory. Only thing is there’s not a lot of dealers where I am. But the ones that are would be reason for a decent ride.

8. 8 Scott Oct 15th, 2011 at 12:17 pm

It’s unfortunate that 2 dealers that I preferred to deal with closed in the last year. Leaving dealers that staff the store with no nothings. If t-shirt sales plummet Harley-Davidson is in deep shit. The market was saturated, It was the motor company that forced dealers to relocate near interstate exits and build the fancy buildings. They were the one that approved the new dealerships. They also were the one responsible for turning motorcycle shops in to glorified yuppie boutiques.

9. 9 bigalyts Oct 15th, 2011 at 1:04 pm

You all make good points, even Mike! But, “If I have to explain why, some of you might never get it”! Yeah there are a Shrinking Dealer Network, so that means in my City where I live there might just be one Huge Dealership, instead of three! And if you drive 40 miles either North or South there will be Three other Dealerships ! I think that none of us are in any Danger of loosing Dealership support! Ig we are going to talk about Dealership Support, then we should talk about buying a quality Motorcycle, with a Pretty dam Dealer network and that is HD. These Victory Guys are moving forward, however they are the Hyundai of Motorcycles. Hyundai has come a long way and make some pretty nice Vehicles They are just that “pretty nice”.They will never be an Acura, Infinity or a Lexus. They are not even a Honda, Nissan or a Toyota! The proof is in the pudding………Go to any Dealer or Wholesale Motorcycle Dealer and try to trade your Victory Vegas or Vision in and, you will see why most believer’s in the slogan, buy HD. I have never said that they make the best Bike or the fastest Bike, just a beautiful sounding, beautiful looking and a head turner, that could only be the one and only Harley Davidson.

10. 10 Smittydog Oct 15th, 2011 at 5:54 pm

To scott, your a hundred percent right. say it like it is.

11. 11 bigalyts Oct 15th, 2011 at 8:01 pm

HD there is not anything like it………If you have to ask why, you will never understand! HD will not be undersold. If you Trade you will probably by another Harley. There is nothing that sounds looks or makes People smile like an Harley Davidson. Their Dealer Network will always be strong because HD makes more after market Products then all other Motorcycle Factory’s combined. As long as there is products, clothing, Furniture and Gifts to purchase then there will be no shortage of a Dealer Network. There were 3 Dealers in the cit of Ft. Lauderdale where I live, and 3 more Dealerships 45 miles away..Factory’s are only happy when you take 10% more than your quota.

12. 12 rob Oct 15th, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Hey mike Harley was never an innovator.I always got the bottom level bike and made it my own, a few custom made parts by me,and a few bolt ins/ons.The riders are the innovators…………..

13. 13 Grey Beard Oct 15th, 2011 at 10:43 pm

What ever happened to the company that us old timers knew wayback before the hype and ego frenzy. The company that stood behind their dealers, the dealers that were concerned about you and your scooter. I can understand a company as big as HD to want more profits, but I have no time for a company that has no respect or appreciation for the older loyal dealers that kept them afloat thru the lean times.

14. 14 fuji Oct 16th, 2011 at 10:57 am

Grey Beard .

Spot on.

Back when it was ” electrifying not electrocuted ” to go to the Harley Shop kick tires and talk to friends who shared .

Were they the good ole days, not necessarily so but dealers were open to anyone coming through the door and one buys through friendship and trust.

I cant get comfortable when walking into a new style store today, The atmosphere is gone and so am I.

If I were to buy something from this environment its like getting Sucker Punched.

15. 15 fuji Oct 16th, 2011 at 11:11 am

bigalyts

Why are you using the old worn out text book HD, BS. Did you buy that paper back at the HD register ? To funny.

Its something someone would say while wearing a HD T-Shirt and an OCC cap in a K-Mart parking lot on their bike, Meaning bicycle. LOL

Sure people look and smile at people on bikes but some smiles turn into smirks and result in full blown laughter usually if you look like Cowhide Crud.

Let me give an example. Went to hardware store. As I was leaving in comes a rider a on a Road King, Leather vest, Gloves, Levies and “Two dollar flip flops “.

He looked at me. I had this big grin. Still laughing. Would bet that he thought he was cool.

How does one know what’s on persons mind when they look back at you and smile ?
    Oh come back I need a cool friend. LOL

16. 16 Matt Oct 16th, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I disagree with an earlier poster that said Harley was never an innovator. Decades ago before the brand took priority over the bike in Milwaukee they were a MODERN bike company and put a lot of focus on constantly engineering bikes that competed in performance, value, and price. Those days may be long gone now but it’s funny to think sometimes that at one point Harley was the Victory Motorcycles of it’s day.

Also maybe I am alone in this sentiment but why do you need a dealership in every town you travel in anyway? I ride over 18k miles a year in a 6 state area and have never needed a dealership for anything other for selling me the bike and taking care of any recalls if needed. Much of what a dealership does is becoming obsolete thanks to technology and independent shops which Harley is now discovering.

17. 17 fuji Oct 16th, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Matt.: States
    I disagree with an earlier poster that said Harley was never an innovator.
    I will agree with you Matt

Decades ago before the brand took priority over the bike in Milwaukee they were a MODERN bike company and put a lot of focus on constantly engineering bikes that competed in “performance, value, and price.”
    What “years ” are you refering to. Just giving the statement some merit would help.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. I find your statements to be very interesting. Would like to hear back from you.

Thanks