Biker’s Code

I ride purely, and only, because it is fun. I ride because I enjoy the freedom I feel from being exposed to the elements, and the vulnerability to the danger that is intrinsic to riding. I do not ride because it is fashionable to do so. I ride my machine, not wear it. My machine is not a symbol of status. It exists simply for me, and me alone. My machine is not a toy. It is an extension of my being, and I will treat it accordingly, with the same respect as I have for myself.

I strive to understand the inner-workings of my machine, from the most basic to the most complex. I will learn everything I can about my machine, so that I am reliant upon no one but myself for its health and well-being. I strive to constantly better my skill of control over my machine. I will learn its limits, and use my skill to become one with my machine so that we may keep each other alive. I am the master, it is the servant. Working together in harmony, we will become an invincible team.

I do not fear death. I will, however, do all possible to avoid death prematurely. Fear is the enemy, not death. Fear on the highway leads to death, therefore I will not let fear be my master. I will master it. My machines will outlive me. Therefore, they are my legacy. I will care for them for future bikers to cherish as I have cherished them, whoever they may be. I do not ride to gain attention, respect, or fear from those that do NOT ride, nor do I wish to intimidate or annoy them. For those that do not know me, all I wish from them is to ignore me. For those that desire to know me, I will share with them the truth of myself, so that they might understand me and not fear others like me.

I will never be the aggressor on the highway. However, should others mess with me, their aggression will be dealt with in as severe a manner as I can cast upon them. I will show respect to other bikers more experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will learn from them all I can. I will not show disrespect to other bikers less experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will teach them what I can. It will be my task to mentor new riders, that so desire, into the lifestyle of the biker, so that the breed shall continue. I shall instruct them, as I have been instructed by those before me.

I shall preserve and honor traditions of bikers before me, and I will pass them on unaltered. I will not judge other bikers on their choice of machine, their appearance, or their profession. I will judge them only on their conduct as bikers. I am proud of my accomplishments as a biker, though I will not flaunt them to others. If they ask,I will share them. I will stand ready to help any other biker that truly needs my help. I will never ask another biker to do for me what I can do for myself.

I am not a part-time biker. I am a biker when, and where ever I go. I am proud to be a biker, and I hide my chosen lifestyle from no one. I ride because I love freedom, independence, and the movement of the ground beneath me. But most of all, I ride to better understand myself, my machine, the lands in which I ride, and to seek out and know other bikers like myself. Author Unknown. (sent  by Sugar Bear) All  photos@harley-davidson

44 Responses to “Biker’s Code”

1. 1 Marc Frantz Oct 20th, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Amen!!

2. 2 PJ Hyland. Oct 20th, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Yeah, I’d read and take to heart pretty much anything Sugar Bear authorized.

3. 3 Jeff Nicklus Oct 20th, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I will second that AMEN!

Over & Out,

Jeff

4. 4 Irish Rose Oct 20th, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Well put.

5. 5 Eric Maurer Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:40 pm

hallelujah (damn, did I spell that right?)

6. 6 fuji Oct 20th, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Well written. Good logic.

On the light side.

After reading this I feel as though I just walked out of Sunday morning Mass like a little Catholic boy just knowing that I cant resist going out and sinning all over again.

Then turning around next week to confess my sins to the man behind the screen. Forgive me father for I have sinned .

What is it My son.

I made fun of a guy riding a Hyosung GV 650 Trend Killer .[ look it up ] couldn’t help myself.

What else my son.

Yesterday I pulled the doors off of six dog cages at a pet store with my bike.

What made you do it my son.

The Hog Father told me to do it.

Being a biker is tuff my son but you need to repent.

I’m sorry father , next time a biker doesn’t wave to me as we pass I promise not to flip him off.

Father, Swear my son
    I promise to swear father.

7. 7 Gas Man Oct 20th, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Perfect!!

8. 8 Cojokafka Oct 20th, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I think it’s funny that one needs to have a statement about what they do and why they do it. Just ride.

9. 9 99%er Oct 20th, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I’d be a hypocrite to say I follow the biker code. I just like to ride, not too into the whole biker lifestyle thingie though.

10. 10 big Don Oct 20th, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I agree being a biker is a great lifestyle – I have enjoyed it for over 30 years, But to me, biking is 2 wheels – not these new 3 wheel contraptions that are cars less one tire. I have to laugh when I see these can-am posers on their little 3 wheeled miatas wearing black vests and scull cap helmets/sorry had to vent….the lean in the turns is where the soul of riding lives on.

11. 11 Sportster Mike Oct 21st, 2011 at 4:33 am

Have to agree with big Don – here in England its all the lovely bends and hills that make me a biker –
    although a bit nippy this morning!!

12. 12 Wiz Oct 21st, 2011 at 4:56 am

High Ideals, qualities we should aspire to! My credo, my mantra. However, I sometimes fall short of adhereing to ALL the princepals set forth in the articile. Progress, not perfection! We all have room for improvement. Let’s DO IT!! Wiz

13. 13 dmj Oct 21st, 2011 at 5:06 am

Damn, you mean I have to think about all this crap just to ride my bike? What a joke.

14. 14 Rob K. Oct 21st, 2011 at 5:38 am

What does the biker’s code have to do with majority of today’s riders? Most do not even know how to change their own oil never mind “strive to understand the inner-workings of my machine, from the most basic to the most complex”

15. 15 Fausto Oct 21st, 2011 at 5:39 am

And on the eight day GOD created motorcycles.

16. 16 Boomer Oct 21st, 2011 at 6:16 am

“My machine is not a toy. It is an extension of my being, and I will treat it accordingly, with the same respect as I have for myself.”

Too bad more people don’t get this…

17. 17 Rick Lossner Oct 21st, 2011 at 9:18 am

Who makes this BS up… Or worse, actually believes it?

18. 18 roscoe Oct 21st, 2011 at 10:01 am

Rick Lossner,

The same people that buy a bike and think that you need to have a leather vest and a do-rag.

19. 19 BryanR Oct 21st, 2011 at 10:20 am

My input after 55+ years of riding I feel that its me as a whole package ” the bike and I ”
    and I’ve always lived by ” be yourself no matter what that self may be ‘If I’m ever feeling down I just go for a ride, and I feel so much better, ( Live to ride and ride to live )

20. 20 Kroeter Oct 21st, 2011 at 11:09 am

I got enough codes to remember; zip codes, area codes, password codes, account codes. Just ride what you like, when you like and don’t put others in danger.

21. 21 burnout Oct 21st, 2011 at 11:22 am

As a code, perfect. As for me I lean more to fuji’s outlook. peace

22. 22 Larry R Oct 21st, 2011 at 12:02 pm

And?

23. 23 Toby Oct 21st, 2011 at 12:35 pm

“I will never be the aggressor on the highway. However, should others mess with me, their aggression will be dealt with in as severe a manner as I can cast upon them.”

Seriously? Promoting road rage. A poseurs’ statement if every I heard one.

Sorry guys, but I don’t fault anyone out riding three wheeled vehicles. Many of them can’t ride bikes or have chosen this route to get to two wheels (CanAms do lean are are kind of fun, demo one at your next big bike event). Not the same as a bike, but still seeking the same enjoyment.

24. 24 Mr. Potts Oct 21st, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Could’nt say it any better. I really liked the “I ride my machine, not wear it!”

25. 25 Richard Oct 21st, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I don’t know…I ride for the thrill of riding. The rest of this “stuff”….as I said I don’t know????

26. 26 Smittydog Oct 21st, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Only bikers truly understand it.

27. 27 D K Oct 21st, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Somewhere there is a HD employee trying to figure out how to put all that on a $40 t shirt!

28. 28 gravey Oct 21st, 2011 at 7:49 pm

who wrote that. iam who i am, i don’t need this biker code to tell me. and those who aren’t , do you think they read this stuff.

29. 29 nicker Oct 22nd, 2011 at 1:07 am

Well, OK… but doesn’t that all that sounds self evident….???
    It does to those who “eat, sleep, dream, live & love motorcycles.”

The rest should take up Golf.

-nicker-

30. 30 Woody Oct 22nd, 2011 at 8:53 am

Too many rules. Biker’s short version code: Turn the key and go (kick if needed). It ain’t rocket science.

31. 31 Richard Oct 22nd, 2011 at 4:15 pm

To smitty….you’re a funny guy!

32. 32 Blackmax Oct 22nd, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Right on !!!! Sums it up to a tee !!!!
    When Sugar Bear puts it out there, it’s worth paying attention to …….

33. 33 Doc Robinson Oct 23rd, 2011 at 3:58 pm

“I will not judge other bikers on their choice of machine, their appearance, or their profession.” Wow! Would that some of the guys who clog this site with their immature and often misspelt and biased opinions take this one to heart. I figure that some of the posters above have no idea that Sugar Bear is a giant in this industry. One word for him: RESPECT!

34. 34 R.P. Oct 23rd, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Everybody here “including me” has just wasted valuable time blowing hot air out their faces when they could be out on two wheels blowing out their pipes. How about no code just live the culture, be free…oh! and give the trikes credit where credit is deserved even if they are ridden backwards.

35. 35 nicker Oct 23rd, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Spot on Doc-R,

For what Sugar Bear has accomplished he has earned our respect.
    Only green-horns yammer about demanding respect.

-nicker-

36. 36 nicker Oct 23rd, 2011 at 9:17 pm

RE:
    “…Damn, you mean I have to think about all this crap just to ride my bike? What a joke…”

Dude, you obviously don’t get it…….
    And so, the “Joke” is actually on you.

-nicker-

37. 37 BigWave916 Oct 24th, 2011 at 7:14 am

Every once in a while a person or group of persons in motorcycling remind me of the boy scouts. This is one of those times.

HOG meeetings / troop meetings.

Fundraisers for MDA and Toy runs / fundraisers for the local troop projects

Fancy and shiny new leathers / crisply starched uniform

Vests loaded with patches and pins / vests loaded with patches and pins

“I’m a bad ass bandana” / proud to be a boy scout kerchief (same as a bandana)

Bunch of adults wanting to belong to a group that makes them feel better about themselves / bunch of kids who want to belong to a group that makes them feel better about themselves.

Biker code / boy Scout handbook

38. 38 BigWave916 Oct 24th, 2011 at 7:17 am

My apolgies to any boy scouts I’ve offended.

39. 39 JOE Oct 24th, 2011 at 8:28 am

FAUSTO: ON THE 9TH THE DEVIL MADE A CHOPPER

40. 40 Chopperjohn Oct 24th, 2011 at 9:31 am

I’m 65 I just love to ride. My pick-up truck will sit in the driveway for months without ever being started up. Like I always tell others, the only time I’m not on my Harley is when I have to pick up a 4 x 8 piece of plywoood at Home Depot. I do all my own wrenching. I have two older Harleys of which at least one of them is out of commission for one reason or another. Full time job just to keep them running. Ride on Brother…

41. 41 live2rideaglide Oct 27th, 2011 at 10:26 am

I agree with most , but just as bikes are different , more so are the reasons why we ride and how we ride ( attitude ). I love motorcycles and I am not sure I can explain why. I ride mostly alone , not because I’m that big of a butthead or because I don’t like other bikers , I do. But solitude seems to be where I enjoy the riding experience the most. When I ride alone , I am what I am and I have nothing to prove to anyone. I don’t feel the need to dress a certain ” biker ” style or project a so called biker attitude. While I appreciate a clean , gleaming custom as much as anyone that is not what I ride, nor choose to ride. My bike is usually dusty, covered with bugs and road grime and bears the marks of frequent use. The ” biker ” experience is as diverse as the people who choose to ride. I am not sure that any code could ever be written that would express everyone’s attitude and /or opinion and maybe that is part of what makes a riding lifestyle so great. You can’t buttonhole it , press it in a mold and make it fit everyone. Individuality is an expression of real freedom. Just ride , what you want and, how you want .,

42. 42 vince Oct 28th, 2011 at 5:16 am

i have always lived by this code. my dad did before me. awesome seeing it written down. some of the most important words a new biker can read

43. 43 mid-north-kustomz Oct 28th, 2011 at 8:18 am

im cumin up 2 the states nov 1st. give me a f…kn bike that dont start, and i:l show the lot a yas about codes an gods !!

44. 44 Tony Street Jan 2nd, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Amen for this Brother !! Never Question about that…