Chin Fairing For Harley Touring. More Than Just Dressing Up.

Douglas Wozney just released a unique chin fairing for 2009 and newer Harley-davidson FL models equipped with the stock oil cooler. More than just a piece for dressing up the front of your bike, this one is aerodynamically designed to provide a laminar air flow to the oil cooler. It means that air flows in parallel layers, with no disruption between the layers. The outboard ducts grab cooling air and force it through the oil cooler rather than leaving the oil cooler ‘searching’ for cool air behind the front tire, while the mesh screens help keep road debris out of the oil cooler.

Another major design feature is that this chin will not interfere with your stock fender when front suspension is in full compression. Easy to bolt-on, it is delivered with the mounting hardware and mesh screens and ready for paint. MSRP $379.00 plus shipping. At Dougz Custom. 608-783-3684.

20 Responses to “Chin Fairing For Harley Touring. More Than Just Dressing Up.”

1. 1 Howard kelly Nov 1st, 2011 at 8:47 am

I have spent a lot of time in Doug’s shop, his work and drive to create quality pieces is a true reflection of his Midwest upbringing. I am sure this is a quality piece like everything else that comes out of his shop
    Howard

2. 2 Rodrigo Nov 1st, 2011 at 9:56 am

Pretty cool for those trying to dress up. But I am trying to go on to a naked look on a bagger, as much as a bagger can be naked…

3. 3 Richard Nov 1st, 2011 at 9:59 am

I get the feeling that this may help to some degree (pun not intended) but is it needed??? How much cooler will the oil run with this “chin”. Does it really help in any way??? I wonder what a “cost vs. benefit” analysis would show???

4. 4 Shifter Nov 1st, 2011 at 10:02 am

Not sure that with setup you get a true laminar air flow. Hmm

5. 5 Patrick Nov 1st, 2011 at 10:04 am

What about limiting air flow to the engine itself?

6. 6 Bleeding Ears Nov 1st, 2011 at 10:34 am

Laminer flow? Not really.
    Increased cooling? No.
    Looks good? I don’t think so.
    Overpriced? Yes.
    I like LOUD pipes!

7. 7 Doug Wozney Nov 1st, 2011 at 11:16 am

To past and future haters, I’ll refer to Bert Baker’s favorite T-Shirt quote – ‘Those who are too weak to follow their own dreams always find a way to discourage others’. Now stop being a bunch of pussy’s that hide behind a handle, get creative and find a dream of your own to follow.

8. 8 P. Henry Nov 1st, 2011 at 11:22 am

I would say a decorative piece not hurting anything. Your choice.

9. 9 J. Ramirez Nov 1st, 2011 at 11:24 am

A couple of weeks ago, Cyril posted this thought “The person who says it cannot be done should not discourage the one doing it”

10. 10 Donny Nov 1st, 2011 at 11:57 am

Like it and it hides part of the ugly harley stock frame.

11. 11 1550tc Nov 1st, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Doug nice piece :)…….wayway nicer than the FBI one

Bert’s 2nd fav t shirt if he was divorced would read:

If it f–ks , flies or floats its cheaper to lease it! 🙂

12. 12 unknown Nov 1st, 2011 at 5:16 pm

It looks like more of a decorative part at best. I am not sure that in a wind tunnel it would increase laminar flow, or for the fact of the matter any kind of flow. It is decorative and could keep the theme of a bike flowing. I don’t think it is worth $380. or for that matter even $100. but that is just my opinion, and we all have one. $15. 00 worth of parts 2 hours labour 500% profit Priceless.

13. 13 HDRYDER Nov 1st, 2011 at 5:38 pm

So this guy basically did something similar to what Harley already did on the V rod? Looks nice.

14. 14 Mike Tomas Kiwi Indian MC Co Nov 2nd, 2011 at 7:45 am

Another super nice job Doug. Well done.

15. 15 Andy Lund Nov 2nd, 2011 at 8:22 am

Looks great, Doug! I will be getting one when I get off this new-baby-in-the-house thing. The bike is already ripped apart for paint, anyway. As for all of you that are skeptical, I suggest you buy one to try it out for yourself before you knock it. 🙂

16. 16 Woody Nov 2nd, 2011 at 8:36 am

Unknown, I believe you’re a little low on the $15 estimate but let’s go with that for a minute. What’s 2 hrs. of your time worth? Where did the mold come from? Wouldn’t have been from hours of modeling, tweaking and other fitment issues, running a compressor, lighting, plus liability insurance and a host of other “small” details? There’s a big time and material investment in any new project and if the opportunity cost for it is too high it’s not going to happen.
    If that is made here (I have no idea) it’s actually not too bad a price for what it is. If you don’t like the product I can see that and agree with much of what you stated, but it’s no reason to insult the guy over price. I’d like to see a pic of the same bike with color-matched lowers, bet it’d look pretty slick.

17. 17 Tom Keefer/ Franklin Church Choppers Nov 2nd, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Way to go Doug, nice piece and I agree with you and Bert. To mamy haters out there!!

18. 18 Richard Nov 2nd, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Doug, Reference my earlier post and your response to the “future haters” and “pusseys”. If you are including me in that reference….sorry to have offended you. Also, I was wondering if you might want to respond to the honest questions I raised????

19. 19 Bleeding Ears Nov 3rd, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Mr. Wosney you don’t have to take my word for it. The market will let you know soon enough.

I like Loud pipes!

20. 20 Kurt Peterson - Hawg Wired Nov 7th, 2011 at 9:35 am

Way to go Doug, keep hammering out quality pieces like this one. It looks great and I know, first hand, just how much time and energy went into this. I’ll be stopping by for a visit soon and pick one up for a project I have going on this winter as well. Keep fighting the good fight and pumping out more of those fine Midwestern USA made parts.
    KP