Custom Harley-Davidson Blackline. In The True Spirit Of The Long Black Road.

The Softail Blackline was conceived by Harley-Davidson “pared to the bone with visual elements of the original bobber movement combined with a raw style embraced by today’s young bike builders.” Customizing it is to challenge yourself not only to preserve the bike raw personality but also to emphasize it with cosmetically more pleasing lines and parts, but without adding anything unnecessary, reflecting the true spirit of the long black road…

Todd Silicato, ex race engine builder and ex head of R&D for Performance Machine, and now custom builder and owner of Todd’s Cycle, knows quite a few things about old school craftsmanship and how to blend it with modern, state-of-art technology. It’s what his own style is all about and reflected not only in his 2-wheel creations but also in his proprietary line of parts. So, the Blackline model may have been the perfect canvas for Todd to show all owners of this model how you can improve a stock bike without changing its spirit, of course using his own parts… and without breaking the bank.

First, to add to the bobber look, Todd replaced the stock rear wheel 16″rear with 144 mm tire with an 18 x 5.5″ black rim wheel from HD Wheel dressed with a 180 mm tire. Evidently a modification requiring the use of a custom rear fender to accommodate the wider tire. Notice that this fender fits now inside the swingarm tubes and is held in position via 2 stainless steel rods.

Todd used his own top clamp triple tree (you can keep your stock risers for any handlebar of your choice), and mounted on it his 1 1/8″ bone risers holding modified moto low bars. Although he could have kept the stock analog speedometer in its original position (that also holds indicator lights, LCD screen,  low-fuel warning and “miles to empty” display function), Todd relocated it on the lower left side of the bike.

Other modifications include. Todd Cycle own stainless steel pipes. Todd Cycle/Alloy Art Moto Air Filter (stock EFI 103″ 1690 cc was not touched), Custom fabricated seat pan and mount with upholstery by Bill Wall Leather. Taillight and plate mount by Roland Sands Design, Todd Cycle mirror, Death Squad pegs, Performance Machine grips, Roland Sands Design fork brace, temporary rattle can paint job in progress. Todd Cycle. 714.901.4516.

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

29 Responses to “Custom Harley-Davidson Blackline. In The True Spirit Of The Long Black Road.”

1. 1 Doc Robinson Nov 7th, 2011 at 8:38 am

Todd is a master of unpretentious styling. This is a great treatment of a Blackline!

2. 2 Jose Nov 7th, 2011 at 8:54 am

Like it. If you can afford a new Blackline, you can afford to give it this treatment and not too difficult.

3. 3 Larry R Nov 7th, 2011 at 10:13 am

Very nice. Kudos Todd.

4. 4 hk Nov 7th, 2011 at 10:40 am

i dig it ,simple yet effective transformation needs blacked out spokes tho .

5. 5 BrotherTiberius Nov 7th, 2011 at 10:52 am

Nice seat; tell us how you really feel!

6. 6 mad andy Nov 7th, 2011 at 11:27 am

Todd is truly a master of his trade.

7. 7 bigalyts Nov 7th, 2011 at 1:24 pm

A real talented Dood! I think that when a new Model comes out it is jumping the Gun as to Customizing a Custom Factory Bike. I think the Bike needs to come into it’s own personality before a Owner starts Hacking, widening, and welding on a new Model. I think the only modifications that should be done is making the Bike Go Vroooom Vroooomm very loudly and get to wherever very fast!

8. 8 Ricky Nov 7th, 2011 at 1:45 pm

The Bill Wall custom seat will set you way back. I’m going to guess it’s 3k-4k for the seat alone.

9. 9 Alan K Nov 7th, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Nicely done, Todd. Elegant simplicity is hard to achieve.

10. 10 Jonnychrome Nov 7th, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Todd needs a haircut

11. 11 Mad dog Nov 7th, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Love the seat, well said.

12. 12 Kustoms and Choppers Nov 7th, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I like the Old School meets modern look of this Bobber

13. 13 Eric Maurer Nov 7th, 2011 at 11:21 pm

like I have been saying….. Softails rule! Like it or not, Softails are the new chopper platform of choice!

14. 14 rob Nov 8th, 2011 at 3:44 am

The speedo next to the shifter…..you’ll know how fast you were going right before…………….splat…………

15. 15 Cory Hebert Nov 8th, 2011 at 10:38 am

Hmmm…lots of similar elements to the softail that I completed months before Todd’s bike came out (currently on the cover of Hot Bike magazine). Based on the old saying about imitation and flattery, I guess I should be flattered?

16. 16 Johnny Wadd Nov 8th, 2011 at 11:24 am

Cory, Your softail on the cover of Hot Bike is really nice, but ain’t nothin that hasn’t been done before.

17. 17 Jason Hallman Nov 8th, 2011 at 11:54 am

Todd’s skill and eye for melding designs might be the best in the industry. I definitely see styling cues from another So Cal builder’s style but this is an elegant bike. I don’t know if you can call it budget with that seat though…I bet that seat is upwards of $3500. Kudos Todd.

18. 18 Harry from OK Nov 8th, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Hell of a cool bike.

19. 19 Softail's Rule Nov 8th, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Cory, ya may want to do a little research before making a comment like this one….

your bike looks like bikes that have come out of Todd’s Cycle over the past several years (look at their website and check out Brasshole and Gold Rush). You are totally spot on with your comment about imitation and flattery though.

20. 20 Eric Maurer Nov 8th, 2011 at 2:09 pm

hey softails rule check out corys blog. he features a lot of sick softails

21. 21 Cory Hebert Nov 8th, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Say what you will (Eric, right?), but shortly after I finished the Softail, I got contacted by a guy in California who said he absolutely loved what I did on the bike, but since I was so far away (in Texas), he was going to bring the bike to Todd to replicate alot of what I did. That’s the truth.

22. 22 Cory Hebert Nov 8th, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Eric, that’s actually Scott’s blog (the owner of the bike and he painted it). He does killer work.

23. 23 Eric Maurer Nov 8th, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Agreed…. his paint work is killer and its a great blog for sure, I read it all the time (and not just for the insanely SMOKIN hot chicks!!!!!).

24. 24 PATOU Nov 9th, 2011 at 8:59 am

Nice Job
    SHUT UP and RIDE

25. 25 Conrad Nicklus Nov 9th, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Honestly, I am not impressed… Looks like Jesse James daily bike (but not an FXR) mixed with Roland Sands gone Circa 1995. I don’t see a single piece that is special and/or different than every other “custom” soft tail that someone has put 5 grand in. Todd, you do excellent work but I just can’t side with anything special on this one.

26. 26 Jg hardtail choppers forever Nov 10th, 2011 at 8:49 am

Very nice pipes , a little imagination goes a long ways .

27. 27 Roadside Marty Nov 10th, 2011 at 10:12 am

I personally think Todd nailed it on this one, I like his style and vision with whatever he may be working with at the time. As far as how much a Bill Wall leather seat may run you all I can say is that if you commission a piece from any of the well known leather guys you will pay a premium price because the quality of thier work justifies it to me because I have used the friend or friend of a friend who bought the beginner’s leather kit from Tandy Leather and they think that they can make a seat and it ends up being shit, but on the same hand some of those same guys have really put an effort into that craft and have come along nicely. Once again a nice option for a factory bike from a great builder!! Roadside Marty

28. 28 Tropical Willie Nov 14th, 2011 at 11:54 am

Very cool bike .will done.

29. 29 Josh Cappo Nov 21st, 2011 at 7:55 pm

So being that this is my bike I have a few things to say…

1. I have never spoken to Cory a day in my life.
    2. I didn’t know who you even were till I saw the magazine.
    3. Todd has designed more parts and inspired more bike builders than Cory ever has or will.
    4. Neither bike are the most innovative bikes on the planet nor were they suppose to be.
    5. For Cory to think he invented this look is absurd.

Check you resume Cory then Check Todd’s resume. You sound ridiculous….You sound like you are 6 years old.

You says shit like this on someones blog? I hate an internet tough guy. Have some class asshole, you build bike out of your garage dude. Todd has one of the biggest and most innovative shops in the greater Los Angeles area.

For the people who had nice things to say..Thank you….This bike was only half way done at this point it’s finished now and looks great…..So keep your eyes peeled!

Indian Motorcycle