Harley-Davidson Museum Exhibit Of Watercolors By Willie G.

You all know about Willie G. Davidson motorcycling lineage. Grandson of co-founder William A. Davidson, joining the company in 1963 as a designer, his first motorcycle design being the FX Super Glide, promoted in 1969 vice president of styling, then being part of a group of 13 executives who helped save the company from bankruptcy in the 1980’s, and today head of Harley-Davidson’sProduct Development Center in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.

What you may not know is that before joining the company, Willie G. had completed an Art Center education during which he developed his skills as a painter, mainly watercolors. During his career at Harley, he never stopped painting rural landscapes and for the first time the public will be able to look at this more private side of his artistic endeavors. At the H-D Museum from January 20, through April 15th, Willie G. Davidson will exhibit idyllic rural landscapes and still life watercolor paintings with strong luminosity and form that hint at times he spent in the countryside as a way to relax from 48 years being consumed with motorcycle design. Tickets are $12 for Museum Members, $15 for Non-Members. Harley-Davidson Museum.

17 Responses to “Harley-Davidson Museum Exhibit Of Watercolors By Willie G.”

1. 1 Brandon Zimmer Dec 27th, 2011 at 11:25 am

Will be interesting to see his paint work, and through it know him a little bit better.

2. 2 CafeSportyTC Dec 27th, 2011 at 12:31 pm

dont know if i care……

3. 3 hk Dec 28th, 2011 at 12:35 am

considering he has anything to do with the styling of the harley models ,i can just assume his water color pictures are of dinosaurs and stick men with spears drawn in caves .,

4. 4 Sam Burns Dec 28th, 2011 at 10:51 am

Seriously CafeSportyTC….get some help.

5. 5 Olive Oil Dec 28th, 2011 at 1:12 pm

hk and CafeSporty TC lay down on my couch and tell me everything that is bothering you. Perhaps you can still be helped.

6. 6 Cris Sommer-Simmons Dec 28th, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Willie G is a wonderful man and a very talented artist. His work is really good and I hope to go see this exhibit sometime. Nuf said!

7. 7 Red Dec 28th, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I wonder if it is as good as Mikey Tuttle’s stuff????

8. 8 CafeSportyTC Dec 29th, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Sam, Olive, i guess my personal issue with this is I dont give a rats ass what he does outside of a motorcycle. we all have hobbies , but im sure none of you give a hoot about mine and i dont expect you to either. The only art i wanna see bearing any part of his name is the Davidson on the side of my gas tank… by the way i create art atleast two times a day if youd like to see a preveiw stop by your local porta potty and take a look in the hole.

9. 9 just my opinion Dec 29th, 2011 at 2:58 pm

CafeSportyTC; Thanks for the laugh…

10. 10 Sam Burns Dec 30th, 2011 at 10:14 am

O.K. CafeSportyTC…you just don’t care..yet you post. Your art is crap. You don’t give a rat’s ass, but you insist on letting other’s know. It’s just news. There is going to be a lot of news you’re not going to care to read…skip on over to the next posting. Really dude, go see Olive.

11. 11 fuji Dec 30th, 2011 at 1:36 pm

CafeSportyTC

You are right.

Time to put the Ole Boy out to pasture with his Crayons and the Wisconsin Cows.

Museum must be suffering.

Maybe they need a new director .

12. 12 Jeff Nicklus Dec 30th, 2011 at 3:54 pm

fugi,

…….”Time to put the Ole Boy out to pasture with his Crayons and the Wisconsin Cows.”….

Exactly! Should have happen years ago!

Over & Out,

Jeff

13. 13 BigWave916 Dec 30th, 2011 at 4:44 pm

It pains me to see you knock Willie G. He has always been a prince of a guy in all my dealings with him.

14. 14 BigWave916 Dec 30th, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Then again, I see it is Fuji and Jeff Nicklus firin’ at the G-man, so maybe I shouldn’t be so surprised or pained.

15. 15 GetYoHeadOutOfYoAss Jan 2nd, 2012 at 5:29 pm

@BigWave916,

I fail to see where either fugi or Jeff Nicklus spoke ill of the “G Man” personally in their comments! Their comments were directed toward his design abilities or lack thereof. FYI: In case you haven’t looked at an HD motorcycle (especially the baggers) in let’s say the last 30 years +/- I don’t know how you could not agree with the two aforementioned people and their comments. If the “G Mans” last name wasn’t “Davidson” he wouldn’t have lasted 60 days in the design department of HD. Does anyone remember what a success story the V-Rod was for example? NOT!

Maybe it is time to gracefully allow the “G Man” to go sit in a corner and play with his water colors? Who knows?

16. 16 CafeSportyTC Jan 3rd, 2012 at 11:13 am

Bigwave , not nockin Willie G. I bet he’s probably a great guy , Ive already made my point on his water colors though. Too bad Sam Burns has no sense of humor though, is everything in life that damn serious that you cant take a step back and look at it with a little humor… must suck to be in your shoes. I guess I’ll never understand folks like you though. oh well.

17. 17 Sam Burns Jan 12th, 2012 at 11:26 am

CafeSportyTC, I have a sense of humor dude, it’s just different than yours. The classroom joker can’t take a joke. Maybe you need to walk a mile in my shoes, so to speak. I was just pulling your leg. But the thing is man, why be so spring loaded to negativity followed by fouli imagery? This is such a classy blog, and you seem anxious to spew graffiti all over it. There is no art in that, I would like to know what you do in a constructive way? Where does the handle CafeSportyTC come from? Sup man, what’s the deal?

Crusher