First Electric Self-Balanced Motorcycle

Both motorcycle and car, fully electric, enclosed and able to stand by itself, the C1 is described by Lit Motors (out of San Francisco) lead by Daniel Kim as the first 2-seat vehicle combining the efficiency and freedom of a motorcycle with the safety of a car. “We’re trying to open up safety to a huge market of 200 million motorcyclists daily in the world. We have a huge market, and I think we could have a lot of impact” says Kim. An electronically-controlled gyroscopic stabilizing system helps the C1 stay upright when stopped, or even when struck from the side in an accident…

Depending of battery pack, range will be 150 to 200 miles with full battery charge in 4 to 6 hours. The vehicle incorporates electric hub high-performance Remy HVH motorsin both wheels, Like Formula 1 race cars, the C1 uses KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System), a technology using kinetic power that would otherwise be lost in the braking process to deliver power back to the drivetrain when the vehicle is accelerating, giving the battery pack a break. The model aimed at First World countries will have an 8-10 kilowatt-hour battery pack, while a model intended for developing nations will be rated at about 4-6 kWh.. The top speed should be at least 120 mph (193 km/h), with driving range for the higher-end model expected to be at around 150 to 220 miles (241 to 354 km) per charge (4 to 6 hours), depending on battery pack chosen. Lit Motors is now accepting US $250 refundable deposits from “green” people interested in becoming early adopters of the vehicle.

19 Responses to “First Electric Self-Balanced Motorcycle”

1. 1 Seymour Jan 8th, 2012 at 9:19 am

Hey that’s pretty cool!

2. 2 Steve Johnson Jan 8th, 2012 at 9:36 am

Well if they say it is both motorcycle and car, I think that they should meet the federal standards for a car and register it as a car.

Otherwise is smells to much like they are looking for a work around on the high safety standards that cars need to meet by calling it a bike. It has a steering wheel not handle bars so a bike it is not in my book.

If it is registered as a bike and has the controls it has do you then need a motorcycle license to drive one? Who will provide the training for this Jetson’s car?

3. 3 Irish Rose Jan 8th, 2012 at 9:59 am

The way that is set up, it looks like it’s taking out all the fun of riding.

4. 4 Fausto Jan 8th, 2012 at 10:14 am

Needs airbrushed skulls, a 30 inch tire in the front and a 360 tire in the back.

5. 5 Gas Man Jan 8th, 2012 at 10:17 am

I must echo what Steve said.

And I must add, that is some cool technology.

Further, this is worth adding

“Based in the Bay Area of California, Lit Motors designs and develops innovative and environmentally conscious transportation solutions for our growing world.”

A solid American company.

6. 6 BobS Jan 8th, 2012 at 10:42 am

For me, two wheels = motorcycle so you need a motorcycle liscense to ride one. Besides, I think everyone who takes an MSF course is a better driver even in the cage. The technology looks cool as hell, but I’d rather see an open air option!

7. 7 Rob Campbell Jan 8th, 2012 at 11:58 am

I agree that it opens up a bunch of legal issues that could blow back on bikers negatively. Fausto also raises some good points on customizing it, but creating a “safe” and self balancing ride bodes bad for the future of real motorcycles. Some safety freak politician, pushed by someone who hates bikes or lost someone on a bike, is bound to point legislation at us at some point.

8. 8 Peer Jan 8th, 2012 at 1:41 pm
  9. 9 nicker Jan 8th, 2012 at 9:16 pm

As a design exercise it’s interesting.
    As a viable alternative transportation mechanism ,,,, how knows…???
    (generally “drivable” by anyone???)

But as a “motorcycle” it’s irreverent.
    (even given that most people can’t “ride” a motorcycle, they only “drive” em)

-nicker-

10. 10 Nobody Jan 9th, 2012 at 1:29 am

it’s like a weak assed version of a light cycle from TRON..

It’s interesting tech, but who ever buys one needs to pony up to the fact they they really want an electric converted Geo Metro.

11. 11 Robert Filla Jan 9th, 2012 at 8:11 am

On a motorcycle, the operator should be the stabilizer, not a gyroscope system…

12. 12 BlueStrada Jan 9th, 2012 at 8:30 am

Pretty cool idea.. and it appears as though it “rides” like a bike… and it might get all those silly and dangerous “trikes” off the road. The passenger better be ready to be a very good friend of the driver.. That part is definitely like being on a motorbike.

13. 13 Kroeter Jan 9th, 2012 at 9:30 am

Oh, hell no. I watched some Smart Car crash tests on Youtube recently. Not good. I’ll take my chances on an open-air motorcycle over being trapped in this pinball any day.

14. 14 Ron Jan 9th, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Do the gyroscopes compensate for when you are going around a corner? Or do they force it to be upright at all times? In which case you might as well have four wheels! I like it, but I agree with all the previous statements in that what are they registering it as? If its a bike well you need a bike licence to ‘ride’ it. And what happens when you park? Are the gyroscopes still spinning? If yes then there must be a real drain on the electrics which means it is going to have a really short battery life. Great idea but I would need more info about it’s capabilities before i would consider it over and ev car. I think this kind of idea is great for commuters who want something really fuel efficient for their daily trip to work; but then again, if that is the case why not just get a motorcycle…

I always wonder why they don’t just put the more fuel efficient engines (and their are some really fuel efficient engines – I’m from europe and we have had cars that would do 40mpg for years) and put them vehicles over here. I think all the ev hype is just another marketing attempt at selling us new cars again.

15. 15 bigitch Jan 9th, 2012 at 3:35 pm

looks like one would have to be smallish build without to much weight or hieght as the model filled the compartment and she didn’t seem to be much more than 100 lbs wet.

16. 16 Elena Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:51 am

I think it is not practical, how I wonder you going to start up moving on 2 wheel with door closed?? ;)) I am a biker…

17. 17 Tim Jan 10th, 2012 at 2:56 am

Call it a moped and make everybody happy.

18. 18 John E Adams Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:15 am

Very slick and some amazing design concepts coming to life!

19. 19 jamesskaar May 3rd, 2012 at 7:57 am

far as i know, it’d still be 100% illegal in canada, two wheelers can’t be registered as cars, and motorcycles with enclosed cockpits are illegal. there’s another problem, bmw made a feet forward, semi enclosed motorcycle years ago, it was called the c1, might be a better idea to partner with the people that made the ecomobile, it looks lots like one.