India. the 2nd fastest growing motorcycle market in the world. Competition intensifies and local brand leader Royal Enfield knows that it will have to compete with Harley-Davidson (15 models) and Triumph (just arriving in India with 7 models). So, Royal Enfield introduced to the media (official launch at the end of 2012) the Thunderbird 500, a model supposed to elevate the Royal Enfield’s line up. And of course, nobody missed the fact that the Thunderbird 500 has borrowed some styling bits from the Harley Sportster…Tech sheet after the jump.
* The Thunderbird 500 features the same 500cc, fuel injected UCE engine found on the Classic 500 range of Royal Enfields, but engine now sees black powder coating.
* A 55W projector headlamp, new LED taillight and turn indicators.
* The footpeg-handlebar geometry has been revised.
* Front footpegs moving forward with low handlebars.
* Rear disc brake.
* Fatter 41mm telescopic forks on the front.
* Oval section swing arm that Royal Enfield says will provide good high speed stability.
* Redesigned instrumentation with speedo, tacho and fuel gauge with digital tripmeters.
* Gas tank with Thunderbird logo in matt black finish.