Limited Edition Of 25 S&S Flathead Power Anders Nygren Signature Series Engines

A limited edition of 25 Anders Nygren Signature Series Engines is for sale by S&S Cycle. Anders Nygren is the founder in the 90’s in Sweden of the original Flathead Power Company, mainly to provide impossible to find parts for his own vintage bikes. His accomplishments as an engine builder and engineer were nothing short of amazing and he moved his business in Louisiana under the name of vintage reproduction parts for restoration and retro custom motorcycles. In July 2007 I reported that victim of a fledging economy the company stopped business and S&S Cycle bought the Flathead Power name and all assets.

S&S Cycle has worked hard to bring the name back to life, but has not forgotten the man who got it all started. These KN-Series engines are available in 93 cubic inch displacement only, and feature Anders’s signature CNC engraved on the gear cover, chrome knuckle tin covers, and the Slasher air cleaner cover on the Super E carburetor. Choose from generator style crankcases for stock style chassis or alternator/generator style crankcases for custom applications.

Fitment:
1936-’99 style big twin chassis – generator style (includes front motor mount spacer for 1948-’99) 1948-’99 style big twin chassis – alternator/ generator style.

Features and Benefits:
93 cubic inch displacement with chrome valve cover tins and Anders Nygren’s signature CNC engraved in cam cover
S&S Super E carburetor with Chrome Slasher air cleaner cover
Natural crankcases and high temp black powder coated cylinders and heads
S&S valve train – solid lifters
S&S Super Stock® single fire ignition system and polished billet timer
1936-‘47 models with generator style crankcases have correct length sprocket shaft for stock primary & transmission
Alternator/generator engines include oil filter mount for generator location
Alternator style crankcase – allows the use of modern primary, transmission, clutch components & electrical system
One-year warranty

Alternator/generator cases have 1948-’99 style front motor mount. Will not fit stock knuckle frames. Generator style engines have stock motor mounts for 1936-’47 style frames, but can be used in 1948-’99 style frames with front motor mount spacer, part #31-2017 (included). Alternator/generator cases require a transmission with 1970-up length mainshaft, and custom exhaust pipes must be fabricated.

12 Responses to “Limited Edition Of 25 S&S Flathead Power Anders Nygren Signature Series Engines”

1. 1 Kirkland Apr 29th, 2012 at 3:07 pm

And well deserved. In 1994, any improvement or movement in the knuckle market was telegraphed immediately to the world community of knuckle parts seekers. Occasionally a pile of parts would appear at swap meets, nothing was thrown away. Lower valve spring covers were at a premium (especially the front intake “can” with the two holes close-by a tight radius). Only one fellow was casting cylinders (with fire-ring) somewhere in mid-America. Ductile iron heads was a dream by a few. Nobody in American acted on their “dreams”. We collected the parts we needed for our builds and complained non-stop, but did nothing, until 1996 or 1997 and it took a genius from Sweden to put it all together.
    While buzzards set silent….rocking on a fence.

2. 2 JasonW Apr 30th, 2012 at 9:53 am

I watched their interview with Anders on their site. Sad story but I’m glad he’s getting credit.

3. 3 Captain John T. Awesome Apr 30th, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Amazing man, amazing engineer and an amazing story. My first thought was that a fitting tribute would be a firebreathing monster of a motor….but I think S&S went the right way with this. They’re standard KN motor is powerful, well-engineered that seems like it would make would be a great daily rider and isn’t that what most of those old knuckle-builders were trying to do?

4. 4 Lyle Apr 30th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I remember seeing FHP at the AMCA swapmeet in Florida back int he early 90’s and was impressed. They had an 8 piece corebox just to make one cylinder. Anyone who’s ever done this type of work knows it’s labor and time intensive. This was all before rapid prototype machines. I’m glad the project got back on track with S&S taking it over.

5. 5 Wiz May 2nd, 2012 at 7:51 am

I got an obvious question; What the hell are you calling a KnuckleHead a “FLATHEAD” Power? I got a ’37 eighty cubic inch and a ’40 seventy-four with none of that new-fangled overhead valve stuff! That’s been buggin’ me since S&S first started their “FlatHead Power” series. By the way, yesterday sumbody asked me what the S’s stood for? I said, “Idunno come to think of it, maybe Smith or sumthun!” Wiz

6. 6 TomInAustin May 2nd, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Wiz – Flathead Power was the company that did the engineering and started producing the cast parts (for several engine types). Several years later, S&S acquired them and added them to their parts lineup.

7. 7 Shanedrive May 3rd, 2012 at 8:47 am

Wiz,
    The S’s originally meant George “S”mith & Stanley “S”tankos. Stanley got out of it, George married Marge who’s maiden name happened to be “S”mith also. So basically there’s what your S’s mean.

If I’m wrong, I hope Brett will correct me.

8. 8 Lyle May 3rd, 2012 at 10:11 am

GeeWiz, they started out making flathead parts so they called their company Flathead Power. Then they started making knuckle parts and kept the same name. It only makes sense.

9. 9 Michael May 6th, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I hope Mr. Nygren gets to keep some of the royalties.

10. 10 Curt! May 7th, 2012 at 10:02 am

It’s great to see that Anders is getting recognition in the way of this engine. He sure took a screwing in his journey to see this engine a success. Not by S&S, but by the intermediaries. I keep up with Anders through Facebook and the Flathead Power tech forums. He’s a great guy and I’m proud to call him friend.

11. 11 Kirkland May 10th, 2012 at 2:42 pm

“I keep up with Anders through Facebook and the Flathead Power tech forums.” 🙂
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    The Hydra-Glide.net (Netherlands), ClassicAmericanIron and most especially the FHP tech forum are Dullsville.
    If either one of these site owners want to pay me $1,200. a year, I’ll participate and share today’s repop, V-Twin Knuckle/Pan news, at my will and choosing. You won’t be disappointed. My site is serving my purpose, but the other three sites need an information injection. It’s slowing down to a crawl over there(s) ….. 🙂
    I don’t even mind a few verbal punch-outs with some of the frisky (45) trolls from the past (cracks knuckles). I’ll be fun and you’ll learn something. I won’t speak big inch. That’s all yours.
    It’ll be up to the moderators to keep the creeps out of the learning-process. After awhile people will forget that I’m paid to be there. Ya’ want to have fun this summer or still idle for another year? 🙂 🙂

12. 12 Kirkland May 16th, 2012 at 12:29 pm

To the early 2 lb. S&S die-cast pump owners whose OIL lamp stays lit full-time beyond the 10 mile oil heat-up………… your motor is safe and the pump is OK to use. According to Viola, the company outsourced the early die-cast pumps [(3) versions evolved] and could not eliminate the problem of porosity between the oil chambers, so billet pumps that the company could control were introduced. The internal body porosity is not visible in the die-casting, but in a July 2011 conversation with Viola about the 2 lb. oil pressure problem I was experiencing, Slidemaster suggested that once the oil had thinned-out, it took the path of least resistance, which was to transfer to other chambers.
    It had been seven years since I ran the motor with the pump on it and I’d forgotten the the OIL lamp stayed on during the last 23,000 miles. I just put another 1000 miles on it with the OIL lamp burning brightly. I’ll just leave the bulb in there when it burns out.
    A new knuckle motor ready to install has the same pump. I’ll look for porosity when I pull the pump to plug the oil passage to the snoot, but I’m not wanting to pay for another pump, when most of the S&S pumps needed .0625 orifice flow-restrictions at the cam cover outlet to prevent over filling of the lower valve spring covers. Thinking it over. Anyone else building a knuckle?