Victory Rider Magazine Goes Digital

Victory Rider Magazine, the official publication of the Victory Riders Association, has published its first digital edition. The new format can be accessed at Victory Motorcycles by pulling down the Community/Events button on the home page. This will replace the print edition that has been published since 2005.

The digital format utilizes technology embraced by leading consumer motorcycle magazines and features convenient searching and a mobile application that allows access anywhere. Embedded videos will be included to bring dynamic road tests and product evaluations to the readers.

Victory owners and other motorcyclists can share interesting stories by e-mail and social networks directly from the digital edition toolbar. The mobile app is free and downloadable to most mobile devices. Victory Motorcycles.

16 Responses to “Victory Rider Magazine Goes Digital”

1. 1 CafeSportyTC Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:29 pm

ok look i know this is the thing , everyone wants to be able to get it on their I-phone, I-pad…. whatever. Cyril this is different for your site becuase of it being a blog, BUT the day i go to the grocery store and I cant by a copy The Horse , Super chevy, Hot VW’s etc, etc , etc…. its going to suck. I like the fact that i dont need to risk dropping my phone in the toilet when trying to read…. i guess i just prefer the printed page, and dont feel its necessary to stare at a display screen all the darn time. give me a magazine so i can sit in silence and read…

2. 2 Brent Jun 15th, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Yep, but whatever you wish, it doesn’t change the fact that print is dying, is almost dead. Can’t compete against digital with less and less readers like you, advertisers switching to online magazines for a much larger audience and immediate results, and grocery stores unwilling to continue to sacrifice shelves for no profit and tired of returning unsold copies.

3. 3 Luis Jun 15th, 2012 at 3:20 pm

You can just print out the article you wan to read before you hit the can. 🙂

4. 4 fuji Jun 15th, 2012 at 3:22 pm

So when you want to order something or do some research on a bike, part or a review. what is your first contact . The phone, newspaper, library, bike shop or magazine. None of the above ?

Where is the most information going to come from. I would guess that you are more digitally inclined than you let on especially if you have a smart phone.

Had a friend who took his phone to the head until his other half overheard him talking to his girl friend. God that was a long funeral LOL

5. 5 Rodent Jun 15th, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Print is dead, only a matter of time until it gets buried

6. 6 Iron Horse Jun 16th, 2012 at 6:09 am

While I’m fully aware that ‘Print is Dead’, I also agree whole heartedly with CafeSportyTC…gimme a printed mag any time over electronic media. I know I’m just a dinosaur, but that’s the way I like it!

7. 7 BobS Jun 16th, 2012 at 8:02 am

The thing I really miss about printed periodicals is my eyeballs don’t get assaulted by the advertising. With electronic media the dang ads pop up, shift, scroll and flash until I practically have a seizure and can’t remember what the article I was reading was about. Not to mention how slow the page loads…

8. 8 Jose Jun 16th, 2012 at 8:15 am

BobS. You’re right. Print mags lost almost all their advertising … reason why you will not be able to read them very long.

9. 9 Patrick Daniel Jun 16th, 2012 at 8:22 am

Hey BobS. Is there a contradiction in your statements with you spending a lot of your time commenting on a digital media like this one? LOL.

10. 10 Rodent Jun 16th, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Hey guys,
    If it wasn’t for digital, we wouldn’t be reading this crap and Cyril would have to get a real job!

11. 11 Gail Jun 16th, 2012 at 4:53 pm

And Rodent must be one of Cyril’s most faithful readers. Funny!

12. 12 BobS Jun 17th, 2012 at 9:54 am

Patrick D, yes there is a bit of irony in my using electronic media to complain about electronic media lol. But, just because print media has faded away and died doesn’t mean I have to!

13. 13 Robert Pandya Jun 18th, 2012 at 8:33 am

Both forms of media have a place. Digital caters to the here and now society created by Ted Turner and CNN. I read my quick news online and prefer longer stories via printed page. I still look forward to seeing a new magazine in the mail, and flipping though real pages. I tried my Mom’s Kindle thing, but it was not the same. Advertisers like to measure ad effectiveness – something easily done online via click through rates. Just as consumers want results right away, so do advertisers thus the shift to digital advertising.

For me the line is the difference between information and long form writing. I’m not one to read a 4000-5000 word article on a screen. And factor in that I spend way too much time daily looking at a computer screen for work, paper is quite refreshing at the end of the day.

The point is that as enthusiasts we continue to support the mediums that support our industry. Donlt be a cheap-ass and poach articles at the books store – buy the magazine, get home, crack open a refreshing beverage at the end of your work day and sit down and have a read. It’s a vastly different experience than being on a computer.

14. 14 Insider Jun 18th, 2012 at 8:54 am

Robert Pandya. Show me a print motorcycle magazine with an article 4000 to 5000 words long. They never exceed 600 words, the rule imposed by chief editors. They want pictures and less words. Anyway, journalists of the motorcycle industry are not journalists and are unable to write 4000 to 5000 words on any subject. I prefer Cyril’s short and accurate to the point stories.

15. 15 Blackmax Jun 19th, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Doesn’t matter the point is that while everyone is screaming “Print is Dead”
    There is something very satisfying about have that weight in your hand .
    Reduced in number, Yes…..
    Retro, Yes ……
    But like Robert says nothing take the place for READING than a book or magazine.
    Wow, that’s pretty old school !!!!!!

16. 16 LS Oct 22nd, 2012 at 10:47 am

I may be late weighing in on this but I just saw this article. What hasn’t been mentioned here is that this publication has been only available to VRA paying members. As a part of the $35 you pay per year you receive (or were supposed to receive) 4 quarterly issues. I became a member in March 2009, received 2 issues and never heard from them again, even after repeated calls and promises from VRA.

I actually prefer the digital idea (at least I can get a copy now) and I believe having a free online rag will help sell bikes. But I’m miffed that I’ve paid for many issues I never received and wonder how much VRA will reduce my membership since I won’t be receiving my “exclusive” VRA magazine any longer. I love the bikes (have had 2) but the organizational side for riders has been woefully inept. I know of 2 previous Victory owners who have given up and reverted back to HD for the solid organization HOG has proven to be as well as solid dealer backing. They were willing to put up with the HD quirks in exchange for kept promises and camaraderie. VRA has a long way to go and has proven it’s ineptitude for years, maybe it’s time for Victory to pull the plug on whoever runs the organization and hand it over to a proven entity. There has to be a number of Ex-HOG organizers who are riding Victorys now, maybe that’s a place to start.