Brutus Electric Cruiser. Ready To Order. Starting At $45,000.

Belt Custom Cycles just announced that you can now order their new all-electric retro cruiser shown here in its Cafe trim. Chris Bell promises to deliver the first models by Christmas with a starting price at $45,000 including a weekend trip ftp the headquarter in Henderson, Nevada for a client specific customization session. Each Brutus will have a different maximum range (expect at minimum a 100-mile range with the 153v Brutus.) and offers 50,000 miles with minimal maintenance, tires and brake pads being the biggest items to replace.

And if you want to hear how it sounds to ride a Brutus and see how it shifts (without a clutch to operate, simply shift from gear to gear, 5 to choose from), watch the video below. Bell Custom Cycles.

27 Responses to “Brutus Electric Cruiser. Ready To Order. Starting At $45,000.”

1. 1 bigitch Jun 30th, 2012 at 10:44 am

really???
    only 45 k to go 100 miles?
    let me have 2…NOT!

2. 2 BobS Jun 30th, 2012 at 11:31 am

I like the looks, but Zero and Brammo are in the 9-15 thousand dollar range. Kinda hard to justify 45k just on looks.

3. 3 burnout Jun 30th, 2012 at 12:39 pm

It’s cool that so many electric bikes are making themselves available BUT still no figures on battery life/replacement costs. peace

4. 4 cigarman Jun 30th, 2012 at 1:45 pm

They also don’t tell you how much its going to cost you to dispose of the old batteries when you go to trade it in on a new motorcycle.Bikers are going to end up paying the dealership to take their current bikes in on trade.
    100 miles on a charge? That won’t get you through the majority of the charity runs we do every year.
    I guess they think were all morons not to be able to figure it out!

5. 5 David Blevins Jun 30th, 2012 at 2:05 pm

To each their own, I suppose…. just not for me.

6. 6 BobS Jun 30th, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Don’t know much about this particular company, but since a couple questions were asked or implied…the lithium ion battery packs made by the other brands I mentioned are touted to be good for at least 100,000 miles. Right now lithium is so cheap that recycling is not cost effective. Currently cobalt is the only metal precious enough to actually want to recycle the battery, but in any even, lithium is a metal and very easy to recycle. As mentioned these vehicles are probably not good for the consumer who likes to dress up on the weekend and go on a poker run. However that is not the only type of person interested in two wheel transportation. I recently visited a family member who lives on the north side of downtown Denver. She works and plays, 90% of the time within a 20-30 mile radius, yet the closest gas station is several miles away and not convienent. For people living this lifestyle to be able ride without ever needing to find gas or schedule maintenance, save for when they drive their Suburu’s or Jeeps into the mountains to ski or board…Now replicate that lifestyle for every major metropolitan area…I could see a huge market for affordable electric bikes. And I did ride a Zero recently and yes, they are fun.

7. 7 richard Jun 30th, 2012 at 6:51 pm

$45,000.????? I will only say that I don’t like the look….at all. If I would elaborate, I would have to be unkind.

8. 8 Sollis Jun 30th, 2012 at 7:19 pm

i look at this stuff like at the first cell phones where battery was good for only couple hours , today its good for all day. This is only beginning and its gonna be times where electric bike/car batteries will hold longer then just for100 miles , i am not gonna buy this bike today but i do support morally people who build electric bikes

9. 9 highrpm Jun 30th, 2012 at 8:53 pm

another misbegotten dream that will become broken: price is too high; range is too limited.

i want to build electric-powered self-launched ultralight sailplanes (ultralight so that folks like me with epilepsy do not need fcc certification to fly so we can enjoy the sport). but the market is too small and the product is too clumsy to move between home and the launch field. another misbegotten dream.

10. 10 Woody Jun 30th, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Hmmm, If I was in the White House I’d simply tax all other bikes $50 K and suddenly this bike would be a bargain. Oh yeah, don’t forget a $7k tax rebate. Kind of funny how gasoline taxes are levied to maintain roads and you can get arrested for using untaxed home heating oil in a diesel vehicle, but it’s Ok to run electrics on home electricity that isn’t assessed road taxes.

11. 11 Oldude Jul 1st, 2012 at 7:26 am

SOUNDS LIKE AN OLD STREETCAR AND LOOKS LIKE IT’S GOT A CAMELS HUMP ON IT! FOR 45K I’LL BUY A H/D BAGGER AND A PICKUP TRUCK.

12. 12 Mike Armstrong Jul 1st, 2012 at 8:00 am

At least it kinda sounds like a real bike! Would be interesting to see how the clutchless tranny functions after extended use.

13. 13 Mike Armstrong Jul 1st, 2012 at 8:02 am

At least it kinda souns like a real bike! Woulld like to see how the clutchless tranny holds up over time.

14. 14 SIGFREED Jul 1st, 2012 at 8:21 am

Hideous video…

Unless it is subsidized by massive tax incentives – the detractors are spot on – no future. Not to mention the gross inherent fallacy of this kind of technology – i.e. power stations are still hugely inefficient environmental disasters and by the time the electric energy reaches your home, it is much less efficient (i.e. have produced a far greater carbon footprint per energy unit) than oil-derived fuels.

Most people seem to miss the pivotal crux of the “problem” such efforts seem to attempt to address. The real issue is not the by-product of technology, it is the by-product of the piece of biodegradable mass that pilot’s it – this by-product is people…

The real issue is that the planet is over-populated, cities are over-populated, freeways and roads are over-populated – solve this issue and atmosphere will comfortably be able to cope with the by-products of the technology.

15. 15 Johnny Wolf Jul 1st, 2012 at 9:15 am

“Retro”? What is retro about this thing other than it having no fairings? Calling it retro is NOT going to help market it…..not to mention the price. Good luck.

16. 16 Cantrell Jul 1st, 2012 at 10:17 am

Think I’ll just continue to turn gasolene into fumes!

Cantrell

17. 17 Sue Jul 1st, 2012 at 1:39 pm

BRAVO SIGFREED!!!

18. 18 Olive oil Jul 1st, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Can it be adapted with a overhead trolley to run on the streetcar lines??

19. 19 BobS Jul 1st, 2012 at 6:20 pm

“no future. Not to mention the gross inherent fallacy of this kind of technology – i.e. power stations are still hugely inefficient environmental disasters and by the time the electric energy reaches your home, it is much less efficient (i.e. have produced a far greater carbon footprint per energy unit) than oil-derived fuels.”
    Totally, completely, 100% WRONG.

20. 20 Bill Skoros Jul 2nd, 2012 at 8:47 am

I could see myself using the cruiser version, depending on it looks, this just to go to work. Its a short ride. But at $45K, not going to happen!

21. 21 drew Jul 2nd, 2012 at 10:14 am

Piece of shit

22. 22 CafeSportyTC Jul 2nd, 2012 at 11:28 am

wow sigfreed bought much into the climate change B.S. ?

23. 23 Doc Jul 2nd, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Can’t i just get a really long extension cord at home depot or radio shack??? Running wild on 1000 miles of orange power cord! LOL

Best of luck if you buy one, it’s gonna take up a lot of space in your garage when the company goes away. I’d rather sit on top of a machine that was designed 100 years ago that uses highly combustible fuel to cause explosions near my genitalia. What can I say? I’m a practical man.

24. 24 pokergolf420 Jul 2nd, 2012 at 3:33 pm

“I’d rather sit on top of a machine that was designed 100 years ago that uses highly combustible fuel to cause explosions near my genitalia. What can I say? I’m a practical man.”

Couldn’t have said it better myself, Doc.

25. 25 nicker Jul 2nd, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Woody,

RE:
    “… If I was in the White House I’d simply tax all other bikes $50 K….”

Well, looks like OhBummer and his 4000 new IRS agents will be set to enforce the existing Personal Property Sakes Tax on ANY scooter you decide you want to sell.

Question:
    If I sell high value personal property (not real estate), what is my tax liability?

Answer:
    It’s a capital gain determined by deducting your basis from your adjusted selling price. Your adjusted selling price is gross selling price less expenses of the sale.

You report the sale on Schedule D.
    – If you held it more than one year, it’s a 15% long term gain liability.
    – Short term gains are taxed as ordinary income at whatever rate your total income dictates.
    – But if it is a collectible, it’s taxed at 28%

So, hows that Hope & Change working out for ya……???

-nicker-

26. 26 Blackmax Jul 2nd, 2012 at 6:51 pm

The average lenght of a “Poker Run” around here is about 85 – 110 miles .
    This thing would die before it finshed and/or got you home ……
    Personally, I HATE electric cars & BIKES!!!!
    I know it’s the wave of the future and “going Green & all that,
    But somethings just need to be left alone, Know what I mean ??????

27. 27 Woody Jul 3rd, 2012 at 8:40 pm