Daily Ride Custom Chopper

Although you tell me you enjoy the radical motorcycles I am featuring, you also suggest that I publish more often custom bikes built for the “average” rider. Although I don’t don’t know how to define an average biker, nor do you you mean an average quality bike, I understand that you would like to see bikes that would not cost you 2 years of salary, that a good shop or a skilled individual could build in his garage, maybe with the assistance of a couple of friends.

I have known Dave Welch from Chopper City USA since a long time, a familiar face in all bike shows (see his new bikes in the coming Daytona Bike week Rat’s Hole Show) He builds quality radical bikes, but also nice customs like this one that you could ride every day of the year without any trouble. A new built that I would place between the pure “one of a kind” and the customized V-Twin motorcycle. Why? Because it features one-off parts mixed some that you can buy from the best after-market endorse of the industry. So, a good inspiration at a reasonable budget for all those who don’t want to sacrifice reliability for aesthetics.

Frame is a pro type called Hardcore 120 with a 36-degree rake, no stretch and 2″ up neck. It received a powerful 12o cubic inch motor from Jim whose heads went through a “Diamond Cut.” For some chopper retro feel Dave welch used PM/Roland Sands Vintage style Rocker Box & Timing Covers. Transmission used is the classic genuine Harley 5-speed. Driveline is completed with a Primo Brute IV dressed with Joker King Fin Covers. A raised neck implied a Springer front end extended by 2″. Gas tank is a slightly modified Fat Katz. Wheels are 60 Spoke, front 21 x 2.1, rear 18 x 5.5″ respectively wrapped in Metzeler 90/90H21 and Metzeler 200/50R18. Exhaust with hot tips comes from Vance & Hines. A Dakota digital speedo let you now how fast you chop your way. Chopper City USA. (photo credit Onno Wieringa for AMD Championship courtesy to Cyril Huze)

10 Responses to “Daily Ride Custom Chopper”

1. 1 Boomer Jul 20th, 2012 at 11:57 am

Nice combo between bitchin’ and badass – that’s old and new style for the newbies. 😀

This really could be daily rider if someone didn’t need to carry much that couldn’t be strapped to the handlebars. Many times when I see custom builds, especially one like this, I wonder what the price tag would be to buy it ready to go and maybe a total price of parts if someone wanted to build one themselves.

2. 2 Nobody Jul 20th, 2012 at 2:38 pm

“I understand that you would like to see bikes that would not cost you 2 years of salary, that a good shop or a skilled individual could build in his garage, maybe with the assistance of a couple of friends.”

That’s about how I define avg. Pieces that are ridden often and not just big$$, trailed show room beauty queens.

@Boomer: a med sized Army Alice pack covers most things one might need to tote to/from work. I’ve crammed a case of beer and assorted car parts in mine over the years. And before me my pops used to use it for lugging a brief case on his commute to work (40ish miles 1way).

3. 3 bigitch Jul 20th, 2012 at 2:56 pm

bet it’s 35k or more.

4. 4 Peter Jul 20th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

The classic chopper of this century. Nothing to criticize.

5. 5 DJ Jul 20th, 2012 at 10:41 pm

That can’t possibly be a chopper! It is brand new… People throw the word “Chopper” around awfully loosely

6. 6 Tom Jul 21st, 2012 at 6:32 am

Amen. I like all bikes. All of them. Something that is rideable, safe, and home built is much more appealing to me. In the late 90’s and early 2000’s any one with a big wallet could become a “enthusiast”. We see them all over craiglsist and evilbay now. This bike, to me, is perfect. I am curious as to what the project set this owner back.

7. 7 Dave Jul 21st, 2012 at 11:11 am

Thanks, for the post Cyril. That bike was my first prototype bobber frame for twin cam drivetrain, have since made it even better.

8. 8 Boomer Jul 21st, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Sooo… just for those of us who have built from the ground up, but it’s been a while, maybe a long while; what would be the cost for something like this being built by the person who did it vs the parts and someone trying to do it in their well-equipped garage who knows how to turn a wrench without stripping a thread???

I know it’s not really a fair question because the person who built this bike did a lot of research and together with their hands-on experience, was able to envision this bike as it go built; or maybe even before it got built and that would change everything wouldn’t it!? How do you ask someone to hand over their vision? Can a price even be put on that?

The more I think about the more I think the best bet for someone wanting to emulate this really nice, and reliable, daily rider, is to talk to the builder and ask if they can get a parts manifest as a starting point.

Beyond that; it’s all imagination, and only those who have built a bike, any bike, from the ground up, can appreciate that level of focus as you sit on a shop chair just staring at what you have started and trying to visualize how it will go from there. Not including paint; which unfortunately is what far too many people see when they look at a home-grown custom. I guess until they build one for themselves; they will continue to miss all the intricate details that made this chopper what it is today.

Oh, and although all the parts on this bike weren’t available back in the 70’s/80’s; we built some very similar bikes for around $5-$7k back then. I bet it couldn’t be done now for less than $30k. Yes? No?

Great job bro. Looks great and any builder would be proud of this one! Nuff said.

9. 9 Sara Brown Jul 23rd, 2012 at 8:23 am

still would like to see all the cables within the bars ……

10. 10 Wetasafish Jul 24th, 2012 at 12:25 am