So-Cal Electric Ride

New businesses are often born out of frustration. In the case of Marrs Cycles, its young founder Kacy Marrs was unable to ride, recovering from an injury sustained doing a half-time freestyle motocross show for the NHRA. Then, it struck him. Why others are building hotrods and custom motorcycles, why not incorporate the Southern California culture and lifestyle into electric bicycles for the ultimate along the coast cruising experience.

First project is this M1 e-bike, a cross between an old style bicycle and a custom chopper. A lithium battery pack powers the M-1 for a top speed of 20 mph for a range of about 20 miles. Faster would be easy but US laws limit e-bikes top speed of electric bicycles. So, a great looking commuter that many will like until they hear the price starting at 7000. Only for the very eco-minded type with a ton of disposable income. But all parts are made in So-Cal… Marrs Cycles.

Barnett Harley-Davidson

11 Responses to “So-Cal Electric Ride”

1. 1 Redman Jul 27th, 2012 at 8:47 am

“All parts are made in So-Cal” I’m a fan of the style and the builder! American enginuity is alive and well!

2. 2 highrpm Jul 27th, 2012 at 9:13 am

for 7K, i will go to my local trek dealer and get a high-end fibre bike. at least i can get to ojai and back to venture on the ventura river trail w/o a recharge.

a great piece of garage art for the rich and famous.

3. 3 CafeSportyTC Jul 27th, 2012 at 9:17 am

are those profile cranks and sprocket? holy cow, this makes the BMXer in me impressed

4. 4 Eric Maurer Jul 27th, 2012 at 11:19 am

its cool, but seriously, Jesse Rooke should get royalties from the company for use of his designs

5. 5 debbyracer45 Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Cool looking and I think it would be cooler yet IF it DIDN’T have the battery!!

6. 6 Mac Jul 28th, 2012 at 6:01 pm

In that price range lets see a charging system , maybe put photo Cells on the large bat cover . Which strikes me as a canvas waiting to be painted . Good work don’ stop now . TKS MAC OUT

7. 7 Mac Jul 28th, 2012 at 6:15 pm

In that price range I wood like see a charging system, cover the battery cover with photo cells .the large surface of the cover is like a canvas waiting for the wright artist .

8. 8 badams Jul 28th, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Total respect for the effort of getting this upstart going, the bicycle business is fiercely competitive. Quality e-Bike drivetrains are out there now, looks like they used one here. Hope the designs attract a funnel of customers; recumbent style setups are a tough sell unless they weight next to nothing.

9. 9 Doc Jul 30th, 2012 at 11:24 am

Much love to SoCal but for $7K? I’ll take a sporty ironhead and bob it out for $4500…

10. 10 kauaiclyde Jul 30th, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Is it me or does anybody with these electric bikes/motorcycles/autos have a charging system that runs off of the spinning tires – kind of like the lights on our bikes when we were kids. You would snap the light onto the tire and the faster you pumped, the brighter the light. If a charging system with that old school thought with the new high output solar panels combined on any electric vehicle type, I just wonder if the charging from the combined units could keep a unit going indefinitely ? Or did I miss reading something somewhere that this has already been done ? Would appreciate some back-feed – no matter how SMALL you will make me feel !!!

11. 11 CafeSportyTC Jul 30th, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Kauaiclyde , i thought the same but i dont have a electrical degree so i would end up blowing myself up! lol

Indian Motorcycle