New 2013 Harley-Davidson CVO™ Breakout Model

You will identify it right away with its new paint process and brilliant “turbine” wheels. This new, limited-production Softail® model from Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations™ combines the power of the Twin Cam 110B™ engine with a level of custom detailing usually not seen on a production motorcycle. Curbside, the Breakout a proud rake and dazzling finish. On the road, the CVO Breakout is a fast chrome-plated fst punching the air. The Breakout is intended to project a tough attitude, according to Harley-Davidson Styling Manager Kirk Rasmussen.

To create a compact, muscular profile fenders have been chopped to the legal limit so more tire rubber is revealed at both ends of the bike. The same principle is applied to the shaved down console and the use of braided steel lines for vent tubes. This gives us a larger canvas for paint and finishes, an essential element of the CVO formula.

The CVO Breakout is equipped with the Twin Cam 110B engine, a 110-cid V-Twin that pumps out 112 ft. lbs. of peak torque to give the CVO Breakout the best power-to-weight ratio of any current CVO model. The CVO Breakout takes production motorcycle paint to a new level of true customization. Two paint schemes feature hand-polished steel sections on the fuel tank and fenders. A third paint option incorporates hand-laid lace stenciling.

New polished chrome Turbine wheels are another styling highlight to debut on the CVO Breakout. The 21-inch front wheel has 21 spokes. with a 130mm tire and the 18-inch rear wheel with a 240mm tire give the bike a strong proportional foundation.

Other custom details introduced on the CVO Breakout include a wide front end with a mini headlamp nacelle, and a chromed cast-aluminum oil tank. The Softail® chassis mimics the clean lines of a vintage hardtail frame, but utilizes rear suspension control provided by coil-over shock absorbers mounted horizontally and out of sight within the frame rails. Electronic cruise control, Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), keyless ignition, and the Harley-Davidson® Smart Security System are standard equipment on the CVO Breakout.

Harley-Davidson CVO motorcycles are customized using exclusive components and paint treatments combined with numerous items from Harley-Davidson® Genuine Motor Accessories. The CVO program is often used to introduce new custom components and techniques before they are offered as individual accessories.

57 Responses to “New 2013 Harley-Davidson CVO™ Breakout Model”

1. 1 Oldude Aug 21st, 2012 at 8:20 am

Ho Hum!

2. 2 MDK Aug 21st, 2012 at 8:30 am

Why doesn’t HD get some fresh designs instead of new graphics and bolt on accessories and calling it a new model? The Rocker was a fresh new design what happened did Willie come back to work?

3. 3 Night Train Aug 21st, 2012 at 8:33 am

The Night Train’s rebirth?

4. 4 Seven Aug 21st, 2012 at 8:52 am

Could not agree more with MDK.

5. 5 Victory04 Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:05 am

Same looking thing. 15k+ more than my Victory 20 year old technology and costs more to own than to buy and it still can’t outrun my stock 106! Way to mass market Hardly!

6. 6 Englishman Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:07 am

@Victory04, you are right, 100%… however, this still looks WAY better than any Victory.

7. 7 nitrometalpolishing Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:09 am

looks like i designed it ! and thats really not a complement

8. 8 Seymour Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:13 am

wake me

9. 9 JG Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:15 am

Re produce the 48 pan springer and i will order a Black one . That’s a Harley . Jg

10. 10 Robustoj Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:27 am

Looks like some of the same old harley stuff. Like all harleys on the road !

11. 11 Woody Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:31 am

Like MDK said, and that tank paint is awful-the graphics shape totally wrecks the lines of the tank, like sombody draped a napkin over it. Different paint and wheels and you’d have a good-looking bike. Oh wait, that’s what they started with 😉

12. 12 1550tc Aug 21st, 2012 at 9:35 am

Swap out the rear fender and the 110B and for its styling its pretty much a

2000 something American Ironhorse Outlaw or Tejas

JG the softail slim is a nice retro look bike

13. 13 Matt Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:22 am

Still insanely overpriced (but then again that’s part of what makes them appealing to their target market). However I will give Harley credit for making this model less tacky & gimmicky then past CVO models.

14. 14 Lugnut Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:33 am

When the naysayer dog whistle blows , they do rush to post. It’s a motorcycle, ok? Wheel in front. Wheel in back. Motor in between. Place to sit. Please post sketches of all the better ideas.

15. 15 Steelchoppin Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:47 am

So what your telling me is that there is a new Duece? Hmmm…okay what evs!

16. 16 Doc Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:52 am

Looks like my old wideglide but not as cool. Same s#it, different day. Wish they would have fixed the rear fender, still looks terrible floating way over the rear tire. Either way, makes our custom bikes look that much better.

17. 17 ian Aug 21st, 2012 at 11:26 am

I bought a 2005 CVO Fatboy and thought I was the best thing ever when I rode it down to a Harley Rally in the South of France, only to park it up alongside 2 identical ones………it had to go after that

18. 18 Woody Aug 21st, 2012 at 11:29 am

So remember folks-EVERYTHING the MOCO does is awesome, and if you don’t agree you’re a poo poo-head hater 😉 Sketch a better bike? I guess I could but it’s be quicker to cut & paste almost any one of last year’s lineup….. Dynas or Softail.

19. 19 Boomer Aug 21st, 2012 at 11:41 am

I see a nice looking and powerful Pro-Street style bike that’s great for up to maybe 200 mile days. There’s a lot of chrome to polish if that’s your thing. If they have finally gotten the 110 motor to be reliable past 60k miles; they’ve got a nice machine here. Too bad it’s out of the price range of most riders. The Softail Slim is more my style. Then I could add on as I could afford it and stop before going overboard.

20. 20 Greg Aug 21st, 2012 at 11:50 am

I like it, looks like the Rocker and the Wide Glide had a baby!

21. 21 John Botts Aug 21st, 2012 at 1:17 pm

What no one seems to be seeing yet, is the comment that it has cruise control.
    Which means they’ve finally added throttle by wire to something other than a touring model.
    I’m guessing cruise will become an option either mid-year or for 2014 on the rest of the big twins.

Other than that, it’s an OK looking bike. The wheels are kind of cool, but I’ve never been a fan of the Deuce, and this seems to be a rehash.

22. 22 chopmonster66 Aug 21st, 2012 at 1:45 pm

SAME OLD SHIT !!! DIFFERENT YEAR…..

23. 23 richard Aug 21st, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Some of the Harley haters would be bragging these up if they were made in Asia or some other foreign country….they’re the same ones who believe/claim everything Harley is made in Japan or China. I guess ignorance is bliss.

24. 24 Gunslinger Aug 21st, 2012 at 3:03 pm

@John Botts
    Both 2011 and 2012 CVO Softail Convertible models had Cruise Control and I believe both had TBW Also.

25. 25 Dave Blevins Aug 21st, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Rear fender looks weird, fender struts look off too… oil tank is funny looking, otherwise an OK bike I guess.

26. 26 YoJustMe Aug 21st, 2012 at 4:49 pm

There is one innovation that no one else has mentioned. The rear suspension shocks. And I quote

“The Softail® chassis mimics the clean lines of a vintage hardtail frame, but utilizes rear suspension control provided by coil-over shock absorbers mounted horizontally and out of sight within the frame rails.”

I’m no mechanic or HD model wonk, but I’ve never heard of that being done before. Am I reading/understanding this correctly that the rear suspension springs are in the frame tube between the seat and rear tire Axle?

27. 27 golfish Aug 21st, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I’d like to see it with an S&S tear drop air cleaner..

I just can’t bring myself to like the harley rear fender.

Did they bring back the springer front end yet?

28. 28 Highrider Aug 21st, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I like it,

29. 29 Doc Robinson Aug 21st, 2012 at 5:57 pm

YoJustMe the shocks are between the frame rails as always. The description was a tad confusing.

30. 30 Georgia Boy Aug 21st, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Like church ladies worked up about Harriet’s new hairstyle.

… it’s the wheels… no wait… it’s the color schemes….
    no wait… it’s the rear fender…. no wait…. it’s the weak motor….
    no wait… it’s the seat…. no wait….it’s the price tag

geez

31. 31 Blackmax Aug 21st, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Nice !!!!
    Nothing New , but very nice !!

32. 32 Jester Aug 21st, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Love it. Beautiful. The way a Harley should look.

33. 33 Nobody Aug 21st, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I’m not crazy about the tank’s graphics, other than that it’s just not much off the ordinary either direction to merit a strong opinion good or bad. It is what it is. It would be neat to see them do a season of models that are based on their more vintage designs.

34. 34 morpion Aug 21st, 2012 at 7:37 pm

beautiful machines compare to vi

35. 35 Scootertrash Aug 21st, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I think this is a great looking bike!! I like that fact the H.D. is not afraid of radical changes from year to year. Personally the paint scheme is a bit much but most most people can see past the paint. Overall I think it’s a great bike but as always H.D. cannot keep everyone happy, there will always be complainers…

36. 36 Conejos (Rabbit) Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I agree with JK – Re produce the 48 pan springer – now that would be a bike!

37. 37 Rider2 Aug 21st, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Actually not bad but you probably can buy a stock bike and spend $5000 to make it look like a CVO.
    After all this is what HD does …

38. 38 Stephen Aug 22nd, 2012 at 4:07 am

Not exactly to my taste but plenty of folks will like it and buy it. HD can’t really stray to far from what they do or they risk loosing their core customers. We need to remember that when we look at a “new” model. As long as the people who buy it like it then what we think really does not matter. Some will love it and some will hate it. Heck I must have the most hated bike going which is a Honda Fury and I don’t give a hoot what anyone else thinks of it and neither should you.

39. 39 Jeffb Aug 22nd, 2012 at 6:24 am

The throttle by wire on Softails is new.

40. 40 dmj Aug 22nd, 2012 at 6:51 am

And they will sell everyone they make. Must be doing somethin’ right.

41. 41 SIG FREED Aug 22nd, 2012 at 7:24 am

The only comment that matters, is the question – WILL IT SELL..? The answer is an emphatic – “YES”…

42. 42 Matt Aug 22nd, 2012 at 9:53 am

DMJ, Depends on how limited their CVO production quantities are.

43. 43 CafeSportyTC Aug 22nd, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Personally I like it, I was talking to a friend and we basically said the same thing, It looks alot like something a custom builder would do. remove the offending Reflectors from the side of the fork and swingarm and most of you would be raving about how great it looks. the Proportions look right, the Paint schemes are beautiful , and who on the site at one point or another hasnt had a “ooooo shiney” moment or two. everything “Clicks” on this bike, and if you dont see it , I can’t make you, its just amazing how quickly someone will razz the bike before really taking it in….

44. 44 Mike Aug 22nd, 2012 at 4:56 pm

When I first saw this on Harley’s site I thought they brought the Deuce back with chopped fenders. After looking at the stats for length and wheelbase, 240 rear tire, and instrument configuration, this is a Rocker with a standard Harley seat, rear fender, and strut configuration. They just deleted the Rocker’s ugly *ssed seat setup. It is what they should have done with the Rocker from the beginning. They must have figured making a CVO with a different name will help recoup their investment in that ugly piece of cr*p.

45. 45 nicker Aug 22nd, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Ian,

That’s a nice looking scooter, period.

RE:
    “…park it up alongside 2 identical ones………it had to go after that…”

Dude, that’s your fault, not the scooter’s.
    Get off your ass and do your own “customizing”………. 🙂

-nicker-

46. 46 Johnny Wolf Aug 23rd, 2012 at 1:16 am

I’m glad they are boring, so guys like us can make them NOT boring! Grab a grinder, not the MoCo catalog!

47. 47 Chris Aug 23rd, 2012 at 8:29 am

The bike looks pretty good for something coming off of the show room floor. It’s a good platform to begin some personalization or customization with. I am however a little skeptical that the CVO 110 in its EPA configuration makes 112 ft/lbs of torque. I’m open to being convinced; if somebody has a link to a legitimate dyno pull I’d like to check it out

48. 48 steve risdal Aug 23rd, 2012 at 9:58 am

Well when you are number one ,people have to try to take you down for whatever reasons but thats their problem…I’m going to continue to enjoy the best motorcycles made for people who like to have the most fun.

49. 49 winterman Aug 24th, 2012 at 1:18 am

Should have kept the springer, otherwise…………………………………………………………………….hzzzzzzzzz.

50. 50 barney Aug 24th, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Love it. A beautiful Harley Davidson.

51. 51 Septic the Sceptic Aug 24th, 2012 at 11:02 pm

YoJustMe, The suspension is the same as the last 28 years. Hardly confusing.

52. 52 Cvo breakout review Aug 25th, 2012 at 8:27 am

This mite be the intro of a new frame . For next years non cvo breakout. I like the new fat 21″ front tire and if you put some new fork tubes on it 3 or 4″” over the bike would start to work for me. Also the paint job is a no go for me. But I could live with the black one. And a 180 rear tire would have been just fine too.

53. 53 Drive The Wheels Off Aug 27th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

“Like church ladies worked up about Harriet’s new hairstyle.”

That is good.

54. 54 CW Aug 27th, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Only model lately that comes to mind with any significant change was the Switchback, a late but a good move on HD part. Other then that what is earth shattering on this CVO other then the price!, lemme guess $30K +, no thanks!

55. 55 Septic the Sceptic Aug 27th, 2012 at 11:08 pm

In reality, it’s a Rocker that includes all the mods that folk did to theirs. Bye bye to the silly seat and handlbars, hello next years bike.

56. 56 Zapata Aug 29th, 2012 at 11:11 am

just throw on a Springer front end and call it a, Springer Breakout!!!!!!

57. 57 Jack gravallese Nov 5th, 2012 at 9:47 am