Baddest Bagger Of Las Vegas. Saturday September 29th, 2012

New this year during Las Vegas Bikefest (September 27-30), the first annual “All Bagger” competition! Don’t miss your chance to claim your share of over $5,000 in cash and prizes plus a chance to have your Bagger featured in Urban Bagger and American Bagger Magazines! Check-in/Register for the Baddest Bagger Contest on Saturday, 8:00am – 10:00am at the Government Building on Washington across from Cashman Center. Bikes will be on display from 10:00am-7:00pm. Prize Package: 1st place ($2,000 prize and builder gets invite to 2013 Artistry In Iron Competition) , 2nd and 3rd place trophies will be presented in 3 classes:

Semi-Custom – Factory stock except for exhaust, handle-bars, seat, air cleaner and similar minor modifications. No frame, front end, fuel tank or fender modifications other than paint or chrome. Can have chrome accessories. Production custom bikes (Big Bear Chopper, Bourget’s, Big Dog, Ness etc.) do not qualify as Semi-Custom and must enter in Custom or Radical Class. Custom – Stock, modified stock or aftermarket frame that resembles stock; body modifications, metal fabrication, or significant modifications. Includes production custom bikes, i.e. Big Bear Chopper, Bourget’s, Big Dog, Ness, etc. Radical- Bikes with aftermarket or custom frame, molding, handmade parts, and extensive modifications must enter Radical class. Registration at Las Vegas Bikefest.

66 Responses to “Baddest Bagger Of Las Vegas. Saturday September 29th, 2012”

1. 1 Mindi BikeFest Sep 4th, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Definitely good questions about event ownership. We all know there are some promoters out there that can’t be trusted. Las Vegas BikeFest is owned, produced and managed by ConvExx, an independent event company. We also produce other events including the SEMA Show which we are producing this year for the 31st straight year. So, we know events, we know cars, and we know bikes. Our team includes Mindi Cherry, Jeff Pressman, Chuck Schwartz and Susan Schwartz. Two of our BikeFest Founders Harry & Pam Schwartz have moved on to the retail industry.

Cycle Source, Maverick Publishing (American Bagger and Urban Bagger), and Freedom Performance are event sponsors and have all been extremely supportive of Las Vegas BikeFest for many years. All sponsored activities are produced by Las Vegas BikeFest.

Judging can be a sensitive topic. Artistry in Iron is an invitation only event and is peer judged. Baddest Bagger is also peer judged. For the Custom Bike Show, we generally select our judges from the media and our custom builders from Artistry in Iron. Publishing their names prior to the event can be dicey since we want them to remain as neutral as possible. But, the bottom line is that the information is available anytime to credible sources.

We are looking forward to a very successful 12th Annual Las Vegas BikeFest September 27-30.

2. 2 Mike Greenwald Sep 4th, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Mindi,

Thanks for the straight talk. Has there been any change about LVMPD doing their shakedowns and tattoo photography outside of the hall?

3. 3 BBBLEHEAD Sep 4th, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Supreme Team

“Trying to find out somebody’s military background just to call them out about it? If the person is that hard up to impress, then he isn’t worth your time on the keyboard”.

That’s my point.
    He IS that hard up to impress and stops at nothing to make the impression even lying about it. I will not surround myself with people like this. They have proven to me they can’t be trusted. It says something about their ego. It’s a character flaw I won’t deal with. No one’s perfect but lying, especially about your Military service, is one I can’t stand. That person is not trustworthy and his motives are suspect.

If I look you in the face and dead nuts lie to you what kind of person am I??

BBBLEHEAD

4. 4 ROGUE Sep 5th, 2012 at 7:54 am

Mindi
    THANK YOU!
    I believe you answered the questions about what is going on with Las Vegas Bike Fest. I am sure the event will continue to be a success and maintain the creditability it has earned in the past.
    As a photojournalist (among other things) I find information here, at other sites, blogs and by talking to people about issues.
    I do get to go to enough bike shows big and small to realize that they include many differences and Yes one is the creditability of the promoters.
    For some time now people have been asking me questions about different events and promoters and that is why I asked the question I did at the beginning.
    Again you answered my question to my satisfaction and I hope everyone else’s.
    Not Fair to you and those involved in the Las Vegas Bike Fest some of the comments did drift to the IMBBA. Unlike your answer there are still many questions that organization has not answered yet and hopefully they will one day.

5. 5 ROGUE Sep 5th, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Jeff Starke – Sturgis Hall Of Fame ?
    In 2011 prior to me leaving for Sturgis I was asked if I knew anything about Jeff Starke the president of the International Master Bike Builder Association (IMBBA) being considered for the Sturgis Motorcycle Hall of Fame.
    The person who asked me did so because they know I am a member of the Sturgis Motorcycle Hall of Fame Freedom Fighter section and also that I know and have worked with Jeff for many years in the past and in doing so knew a lot about him.
    After I got over the shock of someone even thinking that was possible Jeff was being considered I got curious and started asking some questions.
    When I arrived in Sturgis one of the things I was scheduled to do was to appear on stage at the Buffalo Chip with Charlie Brechtel and others that were supporting a fund raiser for the Hall of Fame.
    To my surprise Joe Distefano of the Pro Marketing Group was there with Jeff Starke. Jeff was to present a check for I believe $1,000.00 to help the museum. Joe was involved with the museum in a capacity I was not sure of at the time, but he did list them as someone he represented.
    I had to think that maybe this had something to do with the question about Jeff being considered for induction. I did ask people that were there including Christine Paige Diers the Executive Director of the museum and was told Jeff had not been nominated. I did mention if he should be in the future I would appreciate the opportunity to voice my opinion and supply some information on Jeff that might help those who make those decisions.
    I do subscribe to various newsletters and blogs and I started noticing Joe Distefano posting info on some of the LinkedIn sites we both are on pertaining to Jeff Starke and the IMBBA and that he was now representing them.
    Prior to leaving for Sturgis in 2012 I noticed that Joe stated that Jeff Starke built an American Quantum motorcycle that was presented to Jay Leno. I was working at American Quantum at the time and to the best of my knowledge Jeff Did Not Work On or Build that motorcycle.
    I posted that in an answer to Joe’s comment to which he replied did I believe that Arlen Ness and Dave Perewitz built their bikes by themselves. My answer to that was I am sure at least they were involved which was not the case in question.
    I contacted Joe off the site and expressed my concern about people claiming to build motorcycles and do other things that they did not and that if I saw any more in the future I would comment and state information I had on the situation. There was no more conversation on this on LinkedIn.
    Imagine my surprise when I get to Sturgis in 2012 and am informed that Jeff Starke and Joe Distefano are involved in putting together a web site for the Sturgis Museum.
    Are they just trying to help out or is there more to this than meets the eye.
    After attending the 2012 Sturgis Hall of Fame Induction Breakfast I asked Dave Davis a member of the board if it was possible for me to have a short meeting with him and Christine any time before I left Sturgis. I do thank both of them for making time in their busy schedule to do so that I could try and get answers to the questions many people were asking me and I did not have answers to.
    They have assured me that Jeff Starke has not been nominated to the Sturgis Motorcycle Hall of Fame and that if anyone does that in the future they will look at the nomination very closely.
    I do believe the people involved with the museum and the hall of fame are upstanding and trustworthy, but like everyone they can only make decisions on the facts they have available. I hope I have passed on those that are mine as well as those sent me.
    The Sturgis Museum is expanding and has requested suggestions on what people would like to see and other things that will help them grow and continue to be the fine organization they are. If you have something you would like them to know you can do so by visiting their website at http://www.sturgismuseum.com/
    And then clicking on Contact Us.

6. 6 Crankcase Sep 5th, 2012 at 9:37 pm

No surprise to see Joe Di Stephano & Jeff Starke doing their politics together. Both full of BS. One jobless, the other looking through an association with no credibility and references he doesn’t own for a way to make money in the industry. Is there an industry Hall Of Shame?

7. 7 Crankcase Sep 5th, 2012 at 9:55 pm

By the way, 4 years ago Jeff Starke announced that he was about to build a museum. Of course., there is no museum. 1 year ago he also announced that he was organizing a Canadian Championship Of Bike Building, and asked Canadian builders to be ready and to build a bike for the event. They did. Of course, there was no Canadian event ever organized. Ask Canadian builders what they think of Jeff Starke. I also heard about the bikes he pretends to have built…Really?

8. 8 Jim Cheal Sep 6th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I am a past business partner of Jeff Starke’s, who was not only foolish enough to be one of three partners that started American Motor Works, and my input was the “Build Your Own Bike” on the internet, which later became “Dealer Net” using my concept, which we first showed at Bike Week in 1994 or ’95?

Later, after Jeff cried about it was the “other” partner’s idea to squeeze me out of AMW, because I won the lawsuit against AMW about using my concept of marketing, I foolishly believed Jeff, and was a co-founder of American Quantum Cycle in 1998, thinking we could do it over, but run it correctly and with honestly and integrity to the motorcycle “family”.

I had heard, and was told many times about Jeff’s involvement in the Navy Seals, and knew he was BS’ing me and others, but some people are just so charming, you take a lot of what they say with “a grain of salt”. ( HINT: real Seals rarely say they’re even Seals outside of their family or close friends!)

It was hard for me to believe that I would be so foolish to get in business with Jeff once again, but hey, I tend to take people at their word, and he’s really good about piddling on your boots, trying to convince you it’s raining, and I really wanted AQC to be successful, so I overlooked a lot of things that should have been huge red flags about Jeff and his character, which, like I said, I was the fool.

I knew the full force of his BS when he wasn’t able to “fix” the four valve heads for EPA testing, and I was asked what to do by the other Execs. of the company. I insisted that we hire Rogue, because I knew he knew what he was doing, having become a friend of his back at HMW’s, and observing his fine work. He was hired, and got the EPA testing done out in Texas, otherwise we would have been dead in the water, and unable to go into production. Rogue not only set-up and ran our engine department, but would train others, and gladly shared his knowledge and expertise among the other workers at AQC. I’m glad to say he is still a good friend, and has always been a straight shooter.

It was my idea to offer Jay Leno to build his own “custom”, maybe along with someone like Jeff Gordon, which would later be delivered to them on his show. That project was taken out of my hands and given to Mike Smith, who said he knew Jay, and would take care of it for the company, as I had been moved into being a VP, like Jeff. I know for a fact Jeff never had a thing to do with Jay’s bike, or Kenny Brack’s custom paint job to match his helmet, as well.

I left AQC in Feb. of 2000, as I saw the BS that was going on within management, and really didn’t want anything to do with it any longer. The company filed for chapter 11 in the fall of that same year, and then I found out the missing pieces of what was going on during the bankrupt hearings.

If you get involved with Jeff, just make sure to bring a salt lick along, because a grain or two just won’t do it. I’ve still got the scars on my back from the blade being trust in so many times, all the while he was smiling to my face. Your mileage may vary, and I wish you all the best if you get taken in.

Oh, BTW, I don’t know a thing about judging Bike shows, I only love to ride them !

9. 9 Crankcase Sep 6th, 2012 at 2:06 pm

On his LinkedIn profile, Jeff Starke writes that: he is a:

Master Bike Builder: LOL. Did he ever build a custom motorcycle? He named himself with this title?
    Master Judge. LOL. Does such a title exist? Must be a certification he invented for himself.
    Network developer and designer of infrastructure to the motorcycle industry. LOL. What’s that? Just blah, blah, blah?
    Entertainer and speaker. LOL. His “stories” are entertaining… until some people decide to publish his real story/credentials.background.

10. 10 izadore007 Sep 6th, 2012 at 11:43 pm

i want to know how Rogue can type that much at one sitting, I am amazed at some of cyril’s bloggers/ i would have to have 3 hours a day of freedom also.

11. 11 Mike Greenwald Sep 7th, 2012 at 7:46 am

Izadoree007,

Are you a poser moron?

12. 12 maddpuppy Sep 7th, 2012 at 10:51 am

Jim Cheal , thank you for saying ,HINT: real Seals rarely say they’re even Seals outside of their family or close friends!. I was about to say the same thing when i read your post. I tried to be one of the Best at Coronado, but i didn’t have all that it takes. But , some of my best friends are retired Seals and they are some of the most Humble and non boasting people i have ever known. I have to chuckle every time i hear a News caster or someone else ask, ” Why is there Navy personnel in the middle of the desert ?”

13. 13 Jim Cheal Sep 8th, 2012 at 9:56 am

Yeah, the one thing Jeff didn’t know about me, was that I grew up in Coronado until my freshman year of HS, as my father was a Naval Aviator, and my best friend in HS made it thru BUDS, and we met up after VN in Hawaii. I was taught to Scuba by UDT divers, and like you already pointed out, they’re the most humble and down to earth folks you’re likely to meet, let alone have as friends; they tend to abhor posers. You could sit at a bar with one for years, and never know what his past was, or is, if he was active ( although he wouldn’t be sitting at a bar for years in the first place, so bad example, huh? LOL)

14. 14 ROGUE Sep 8th, 2012 at 10:13 am

See below my latest message to Mr. Joe Distefano who is involved with both organizations.
     I took your suggestion – http://www.sturgishof.com check it out….nice donation from what I can see..just sayin’

What I noticed more than anything was that every page that I went to had the following. – Many of the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame Members are also AMA and or IMBBA Hall of Fame Members Visit http://www.IMBBA.com and see. It also had the IMBBA logo on every page.

So I went to the IMBBA site and looked for links to the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum and did not find any other than IMBBA Gives Big!! Creating Sturgis Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame Website.

Just to be sure that I was not reading something into this like it being very one sided and benefitting the IMBBA more than the Sturgis Museum I asked some people to check it out and let me know what they thought.

You guessed it they all noticed the same thing. The list is too long to post here But thought ya all might like this one.

As an IT that sets up web sites and maintains them for small businesses…. I can say in my profession opinion this is not a “free” donated site… the Hall of Fame is paying a heavy price for this site with advertising links to Master Builders….
    To donate something is to donate… you give without any expectations of making a profit from your donations… while it is common to publicly thank donors that wish to have everyone know they have gifted a donation if is not common practice to have a donor takeover and control the traffic on your web domain….
    Web hosting costs less than $150.00 a year for my clients… The Hall of Fame sold themselves rather cheaply?

So what I am going to do as per your suggestion is ask more people to visit http://www.sturgishof.com and then the IMBBA site and let me and or the Sturgis Museum know how they feel about this.
    Oh by the way can you tell me how many times the link to the IMBBA is on http://www.sturgishof.com
    If you can’t or won’t maybe we can have a contest to see much, like people guessing how many jellybeans are in a jar.

15. 15 Dealerz Sep 8th, 2012 at 11:36 am

Are Jeff Starke, Joe Distefano and Jim Red Cloud Durham (of the Hoka Hey) related? Looks like the little lady of the Sturgis Museum doesn’t know much about who is who in the industry and falls in all traps. A bunch of losers should not be able to infiltrate our motorcycle institutions.

16. 16 Paul Sep 9th, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Mark S.
    Artistry in Iron is judged by the peers in the contest. Additionally, it has been common practice for the Artistry in Iron folks to invite the builders back for a second or third contest.

I was in the contest least year, and was invited again this year. So regardless of my affiliation with Cycle Source, I will be there this year, and judged by my peers.

Your insinuation that my participation somehow casts a negative or doubting light on the show is unfounded and uninformed.

Also, more than one bike didn’t run last year, but that was never part of the rules. I agree, the bike should run. Mine did last year, and my entry this year will as well. Again, it’s not part of the contest rules, and therefore it was never brought up during judging.

As for the show as a whole, Mindi and Rebecca are two of the most caring and generous show promoters/organizers I’ve ever had the pleasure of dealing with. They REALLY care about putting on a good show and keeping the vendors and participants happy. This is a welcome departure from the promoters of the better known events that only care about selling beer and getting vendor fees from us little guys.

IMBBA, whatever. Sounds like BS to me. We’ve been hearing about this crap for years, and it still means nothing. The entire title of Master Builder is bullcrap. Anyone that thinks they’ve mastered this craft is completely out of their respective head, or simply cannot fathom the depth of building motorcycles. There are great builders out there, but no one truly masters every aspect this craft.

And ANYONE that questions Rogue and his integrity, knows not what they speak of. Rogue is one the finest men to ever grace “our industry”, and I doubt any single person has done as much good for us as he has. Rogue has been fighting for our rights, both within our industry, and on the streets for longer than I’ve been alive. Doubting him shows your butt, and you should do a LOT more research on the man. I think instead of questioning him, you should thank him. I have.

Respectfully, Paul Wideman