Rinehart Racing Terminates Distribution Arrangement with Custom Chrome

From a press release of Rinehart Racing.

Custom Chrome (CCI) will no longer distribute Rinehart Racing’s premium performance products for Harley-Davidsons. Beginning January 2013, sales of Rinehart Racing products will be handled directly through the sales force at Rinehart Racing. All products will be sold directly by phone, Rinehart’s Internet dealer portal, and via email or fax to Rinehart Racing.

In November 2011, Custom Chrome’s parent company DAE-IL Corp., initiated significant changes resulting in a multi-level restructuring of Custom Chrome, including changes to its portfolio, eliminating significant staff positions and drastically reducing its sales force, both internally and in the road force. This action dramatically affected Custom Chrome’s role as Rinehart’s distributor, which was vital to the relationship between the two companies.

“Rinehart Racing and Custom Chrome have profited from a distribution relationship for the past three years; however, the time has now come to embrace the growing trend of direct sales to our dealer network,” says Judd Hollifield, CEO of Rinehart Racing. “Rinehart Racing is confident that we can provide premium service and support to our valued dealers over the coming months and years. Our team is equipped to handle orders and technical related questions as well as provide superior customer service. During Recent years, Rinehart Racing has aggressively worked on expanding our corporate infrastructure and our product line. We will continue to capitalize on the success we have achieved and we will develop our direct dealer network.”

“We appreciate everything Custom Chrome has helped us achieve,” states company Founder and President, Gerald Rinehart. “The time comes in any relationship to move forward, and we feel that time is now for our company. We have worked diligently to grow the business, and our future is solid. We are excited to see what 2013 and beyond has to offer.”
Dealer-direct orders and applications to become an authorized Rinehart Racing dealer can be placed at (877) 264-8282.

19 Responses to “Rinehart Racing Terminates Distribution Arrangement with Custom Chrome”

1. 1 Mike Oct 9th, 2012 at 10:42 am

Rinehart must be sick of not getting paid too.

2. 2 Steelchoppin Oct 9th, 2012 at 11:45 am

I would hardly say that Rhinehart terminated the relationship. CCI would have had to actually buy some product to be considered a distributor. I do not understand why, no wait…HOW CCI is even in business anymore. I set up direct with Rinehart a few months back…they have it together.

CCI is like the Magic Johnson of the biker world…they have a terminal disease, they just refuse to die from it.

Or maybe they are the David Hasselhoff of the motorcycle world? They are big in Europe but over here they are just a worthless douche.

3. 3 1550tc Oct 9th, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Didn’t they do this before with Drag?

Rhinehart terminated the relationship

4. 4 Faar V Oct 9th, 2012 at 12:52 pm

… History repeats it’s self. 1550tc – They sure did! RH likes it when large companies pay for their millions in advertising and marketing for 3 years so that they themselves can build up their dealer network, to only then kick whomever is distributing to the curb after they get what they want.

They want to make an extra buck and not give the middle man any. I only see this as hurting them in the future..

5. 5 Steelchoppin Oct 9th, 2012 at 1:38 pm

The whole Drag/Rhinehart thing had little to do with the Rhinehart at all. LeMans Corp owned the name outright and the exhaust was built by BUB. It was however, designed by Gerald. Dennis Manning (owner of BUB) wasn’t happy with the arrangement and stopped producing the product. Gerald bought the name and started producing them. CCI distributing them was a joke. Like I said, CCI us big over seas…not here. Drag has a facility over there now too and it is world class. CCI will just not die! Too many middle men = watered down products and tiny margins

6. 6 Faar V Oct 9th, 2012 at 2:57 pm

For saying so much, you know very little of the facts and only going on “assumption” regarding this column.. Again, it’s your opinion, but one only needs to see how you misspelled their name twice to really see how in tune you are with the industry. It’s RINEHART, not RHINEHART… Be as it may, research the facts before opening up.

7. 7 Steelchoppin Oct 9th, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Opinion? Nope. Didn’t realize I would counted down for spelling. I have sold Rineharts (did I get that right) since the begining. I know a bit about it. (Been a Drag dealer since 2003). Not gonna argue with you. I just happen to know what I have been told by more than one official LeMans employee.

8. 8 No kiddin? Oct 10th, 2012 at 10:36 am

Gee…Drag falls out with Bub, Rinehart sucks CCI’s collective broke pecker, and voila…Rinehart has nobody else left to go to….welcome to the big ego club.
    Hey Faar V…steelchoppin’s right…since you made no good point other than to correct his spelling, it’s safe to assume you have nothing poignant and no facts to state regarding this situation.
    Start asking around…there are actually things happening in this industry that Cyril doesn’t tell you.

9. 9 John Oct 10th, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I can see both sides, CCI dropping Rinehart and Rinehart being ok with the decision. In order for a business to grow you need the big guys in distro like CCI to help push your product to the masses. With CCI’s marketing (or anyone else’s for that matter) you can move your product a lot faster in quantity, the down side? youre taking a cut in your margin, and that goes for the distributor as well. Not all partnerships last forever and it’s a sign of the times with all business’, true fact. I’m sure both will benefit from this and they will move on to bigger and better things.
    Lets try this, support our US companies like Rinehart and CCI and we will all grow.

10. 10 A 1 CYCLES INC. Oct 10th, 2012 at 2:21 pm

JOHN..CCI ISNT AN AMERICAN COMPANY

11. 11 John Oct 10th, 2012 at 3:04 pm

A-1, understood and the comment is going off topic. We all know that they have Korean investors/owners, but the last time I looked neither Harley Davidson, or Nike, or Sears, or Costco and Walmart are truly American Companies.
    Diversity is the future but if you have a shop or business sitting on American soil, I consider it an American company because your American workers are paying taxes, feeding their American families, and a whole slew of other things.. I’m willing to bet that Lemans Corporation (Drag) Tucker Rocky, etc all have ties with not only the European sector/industry but the Asian market as well.
    To me, it doesn’t make sense to put down companies or talking smack as some say (whether owned by russians, asian or europeans) in a time like this when we should all be pulling for eachother making our industry a better place and create jobs here in America.

12. 12 Patrick Oct 10th, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Never heard of Rinehart before. I am a Vance & Hines exhaust guy.

13. 13 deadwood1783 Oct 10th, 2012 at 4:22 pm

After the original TD broken mount on the rear pipe issue was rectified, the Bub /Rinehart’s were a good product. The quality of the later version of the systems isn’t as good as it was in my opinion, as when Denis Manning (Bub) was supplying the product.

14. 14 Blackmax Oct 10th, 2012 at 6:28 pm

It’s his name on the product, should be able to do what he wants with it ….
    Eventually all things come to an end & I’m pretty sure this is a “win-win” for Reinhart.

15. 15 deadwood1783 Oct 11th, 2012 at 9:51 am

Clarification on my earler post. A friend of mine called me last night about my post as if i’d slammed Rinehart on the Blog. Not my intention. I am not saying they are some sub standard product. They emphatically are not. I am saying the fitment, and the durability of the chrome finish was of higher quality in the BUB era. Thats not the same as saying they are not competitive with the rest of the industry today because clearly they are competitive. Quite frankly several of the aftermarket exhaust system manufacturers are struggling with the same issues. And the O2 placement issue particularly on 2010 up baggers with 12mm sensors has proven to be quite a challenge for many manufacturers. Dropping CCI is actually a good move on Rinehart’s part. CCI has long since lost their credibility as a top tier distributor. CCI needs a major cash infusion and a top down restructuring if they are ever to regain relevance as a major player. And though I realize thats not a likely scenario I certainly wish both these companies well. Competition is good. When all the major distributors are healthy and doing well,so are those of us on the retailer end of the business.

16. 16 industry guy Oct 11th, 2012 at 4:56 pm

surprise surpise…..

17. 17 John Oct 13th, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Hmmm, this usually means CC has a better option in selling a different and better brand of pipe and making more margin than having “Swinehart” not too mention, how much margin could one possibly have after payin for all the freight too?! Shipping big boxes across the country cant be cheap. Good job CC
    Oh and to put any rumors aside, CC has paid their vendors, at least me and all the others that I’ve spoken too.
    Which now brings to question, Wonder who their bringing on next?

18. 18 Rich Oct 13th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Which now brings to question, Wonder who their bringing on next?

19. 19 Murray's cycles Nov 22nd, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Cci just blew out their inventory with buy one get one free on all rinehart products, all this means is that you will be able to get rinehart products very cheap for the next couple months, rinehart does have a map policy and its a joke , so if your looking for some cheap exhaust check out ebay they are being blown out