American Chopper Canceled After 10 Years On The Air

After 10 years and 233 episodes of a style called the “Doc Soap Reality” TV show, Discovery has decided to cancel American Chopper, one of its most popular programs. The custom bike that you will see in the December 10-11 “4-way build-off” TV show on Discovery, also called “The Revenge” (a face-off against Jesse James and the 2 builders of the series “Fast N’ Loud”) should be the last one built by the Teutuls that you will see on TV.

American Chopper was launched in 2002 as a Discovery Channel special, then reconnected as a regular series. In 2008, Discovery moved the show to its sister channel TLC. A couple years passed, then the litigation between Paul Senior and Paul Junior and arguments with the network prompted TLC to cancel the show. Parties made up and in 2010 the show was relaunched under a new concept: “American Chopper: Junior vs. Senior” Then the series reverted to its original title of “American Chopper” and aired again on Discovery. Whatever the critics, it was a powerful TV show and thanks to their antics and fights, the Teutuls made a fortune. But, who knows what the future holds for the Teutuls…

“This series was one of the very first family-based reality programs on television. Special thanks to Pilgrim Studios for over a decade of great producing. The Teutuls have given us really innovative bike builds and real drama since 2002. We wish both Orange County Choppers and Paul Junior Designs the best.” says Eileen O’Neill, group president, Discovery and TLC Networks.

129 Responses to “American Chopper Canceled After 10 Years On The Air”

1. 1 rebel Nov 18th, 2012 at 5:52 pm

occsoajj at least they all had two wheelers, better than the news !!!!!!!!!

2. 2 Hunter Nov 18th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I just heard the news from one of my DISH coworkers. I’m kind of sad to see this show go, but after so many seasons, I think it has run its course. Thankfully, I have huge 2 terabyte hard drive on my DISH Hopper DVR, so I was able to record and store all 233 episodes. American Chopper may be ending, but at least I can always relive my favorite moments. If the show does come back in some form, I would like to see more of an emphasis on the build, and less on the Soap/Reality.

3. 3 CroK Nov 18th, 2012 at 8:48 pm

You guys/gals missed the reason for the show in the start (most did anyway)…
    Discovery Channel made money from their “Customers”. That was the real function of the show, to put more advertisement in front of your faces. Teutuls just had enough real life drama to get viewers, albeit through their own embarassment. Forgive them for being a ‘disfunctionally normal’ family. I liked Mikey the best anyway…

Vinny and Rick were the real talent along with many others behind the scenes in both shops. Rick and Vinny if her listening in, do what you do best! The ‘talent’ was in how they (the tv networks), turned it into another night time soap opera.

No one talking about posers or real bikers are any different. We all want to present an image of one sort or another. Real biker, poser, garage queen owner, and even all those non riders have the same intention… we present ourselves as we hope others might be willing to accept. But that never really happens unless we meet up with the truly gullible populace.

Go ahead, ask me what I ride…

ROAD KING!
    It’s what all those other bikes wanna be when they grow up!

meagerly refurbished and 100% maintained by myself. Nope, I’m not a biker. I’m not even a poser. I am a fat old man that can do more with MY bike than I’ll let anyone else even try! 😛

4. 4 CroK Nov 18th, 2012 at 8:51 pm

* Rick and Vinny, forgive the type above, I hope you know I meant “… if THEIR listening in…”

5. 5 nicker Nov 18th, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Question is, will they take all the posers with them………..????

-nicker-

6. 6 Red Nov 19th, 2012 at 9:08 am

The show has gone stale but the Tuttles have done more good than harm to the industry.

7. 7 Steve McDaniel Nov 19th, 2012 at 9:14 am

Really enjoyed a lot of the shows they had a lot of metal working talent

8. 8 DrummerDave Nov 19th, 2012 at 10:32 am

If you ever saw the show about how the Tuetels got started you might be interested to see that they were not the intended show to begin with. The shows producer had picked an unknown builder on the East Coast to find an old Barn Build that needed to be restored and follow that through the rebuild. 2 weeks before taping was to begin the producer got worried about the actual concept and changed his mind to the Tuetels who were the second choice all along. They owned a steel fabrication company and wanted to start building bikes. they started BIKE BUILDING in the garage of thier home and so the story goes. The shows producers noted soon after that the tense moments in the relationship drew more attention so they started including more and more which in my opinion ruined the show and probably helped destroy thier relationship in thier REAL lives!

9. 9 Mac / MS Nov 19th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

May be this will give them time to honestly re connect with each other, and I am sure we will have reruns to keep us warm . From time to time we will see in the news . Mac Out

10. 10 Bshirk Nov 19th, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Thank You God!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. 11 Rick Lossner Nov 20th, 2012 at 10:04 am

Say what you want. They are both successful. They have a huge fan base. They will continue to make millions. Apparently just not from a 100 Cycle Huze Blog Readers.

Me.. i just want a garage, with all the toys… like Paul Sr!

12. 12 Chopperjohn Nov 20th, 2012 at 10:24 am

I’ve been watching the show since 2004. I’ve watched all the re-runs at least twice.This show got me into buying a Harley in my late 50’s. If it wasn’t for this show, I would have never experienced the love I now have for owning a Harley…or two. I ride just about every day. My pickup stays in the driveway…. Only put 250 miles on it this year. I do all my own work on the bikes. I’ve torn down every component on the bikes and know them inside and out. My only regret is that I wasn’t younger when this show first started. If the show wasn’t making any money, it would have been cancelled ages ago. So there must have been alot of closet watcher out there…

Ride on

13. 13 Matt Nov 20th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I’m curious how many builders here would still turn down the Discovery Channel today if they approached their shop with a contract offering them tons of exposure and high paying clients in exchange for access to their work and personal lives (scripted or not).

14. 14 masterblaster Nov 20th, 2012 at 1:04 pm

thank god it is over. Indeed,SR. Is an arrogant Pig. It did however help increase my customers who where inspired by the show here in Germany. I feel sory for those poor ass……. For not remembering who helped them out to start with, like Ted Doering from V-twin in Newburgh. there are indeed many good bike builders out there who never got credit for their work and seemed to be forgotten. time to remember who the real bike building heroes are.

15. 15 JohnJ. TEXAS Nov 20th, 2012 at 2:37 pm

there will be a day in the future… and all involved (Sr. and Jr.) will have self doubt… sitting in the cold dark corner of a garage… vanquished… alone… weeping.

16. 16 CW Nov 20th, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I think in the early years they have made an impact to the industry getting the masses more interested in motorcycling, and the industry. It was interesting to me in the begining. Then the fake drama, the funny theme bikes and from there took a left turn for me and just got boring. I will miss the pot shots at them from you guys, so F****** funny. But hey there is the build off to look foward too,,,LOL.

17. 17 Bootz Nov 20th, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Bring back Biker Build-Off!!! That was a show worth watching except the one with the stupid off road bikes.

18. 18 Kroeter Nov 21st, 2012 at 10:16 am

To say the industry is better off because of the Tuetels is disrespectful to all the good people who represent the companies and shops at the shows and events that I’ve attended.

19. 19 ZRX Nov 21st, 2012 at 12:51 pm

To LG and JJ,

If you live in orange county NY you have no clue what the impact is on the economy for everyone. On a daily basis hundreds of people from other states , other countries visit the shop and spend money in Orange county, SR and JR may be both assholes according to you, but again what about all the employees?? With the restaurant open they have created jobs, hopefully no one has to become unemployed.. All shows come to an end so that doesn’t matter , but it will affect the dollars spent in Orange County…

20. 20 nicker Nov 23rd, 2012 at 3:00 am

RE:
    “… SR and JR may be both assholes according to you…”
    “… Say what you want. They are both successful. They have a huge fan base…”

At this point all that is irrelevant.
    From here on in they’ll have to sink or swim on their own merits, no more “TV leverage.”
    Lets see how they handle their respective businesses going forward….

-nicker-

21. 21 james stevenson Nov 24th, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Well I can respect the opinions of everyone out there, but I will miss the show, I not only agree with the people that were getting tired if the stressful bs going on between Jr and Sr, but the fact that the show was less about the intricacy of the bike build was getting disappointing, but there is no doubt that the show and the OCC brand has made a prolific and positive affect on BIKE INDUSTRY, the worst part of the show for me was watching Jr and his lazy work ethic walk around acting like he was God, when he has built very few bikes I would even ride, even if you could go 40 miles without hitting a gas station, and Jesse James who is a guy capable of building real usable custom bikes was a disappointment in the build off, Jr’s bike was the ugliest piece of doo doo I have ever seen, Sr just stepped aside with that crap he built, to let his son and Jesse go at it, I always felt the build off was a sham to legitimize Paul Jr Designs because most fans actually can’t stand Jr. or his designs, I go to bike week in Daytona for both events, and there are many guys out there fabbing some wild stuff, and yea someone else said before Rick was one of the real talents, and Vinny, but Vinny who was formerly one of my favorites on the show, is acting to much like Jr, the drama on the show was partly created because it brings viewers for whatever reason, but the fact remains without Paul Sr the entreprenuer who started the business that enabled the finances that brought about the ability to build the bikes that launched OCC, Vinny would be a talented NY hillbilly in a small garage doing some occassional custom side work at best, Vin is cool but not the biz minded guy that could get this rolling, bottom line you have to do some yelling to get things done in small biz world sometimes, I
    respect Paul Sr work ethic that built his empire, SELF MADE MAN, Deserves to hold his head up and be a bit arrogant, and when he split with Jr and Vin, he went out and brought in top notch design and fab people, as well as keeping Rick, so he is in the game design wise, I always did like his old school taste and forte, I would
    like to see Jr. publicly thank his father and give his dad credit for where he is, I dont care what he does without giving his dad the respect and credit he is due, Jr would be working at Denny’s without dad, he has talent but how would it have been discovered, and he wouldn’t have the trophy girl either, PJD would be in trouble except there is no doubt that someone will offer the OCC and PJD boys another channel to do their thing, they are still viable …….. thanks Sr

22. 22 james stevenson Nov 24th, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I just respect the work and effort that goes into building a business and opportunity for my family and others like Paul Sr did, and then to get the reality show opportunity its just that much more respectable, I tried to get a business of mine recognized and to the reality show people and was unsuccessful, and now another company has the same biz as I did, and has a small reality show, they even copied some of my interior design, its called BIKINI BARBERSHOP, its in Olde Bridge NJ, my shop was in Daytona Beach right on Main Street next to the infamous BootHill Saloon, many of my fellow bikers may remember us, from the rallies, we were feature in many mags, but still the economy in the Daytona area and the demographic itself didn’t support it, the name was Big Jim’s Bikini Barbershop beachside across fro the Kangaroo and the cemetary as you come over the river from the mainland, well hope they are back on tv soon, if Sr doesn’t decide to retire, STAY IN THE WIND, RIDE SAFE PEOPLE.

23. 23 Corvetteguy Nov 26th, 2012 at 11:50 pm

You know, everyone is entitled to their opinion. OCC showcased alot of talent and alot of skill that I guarantee 99.0% of the commenters out there DO NOT posses. the builds they did on that show were ORIGINAL. Not ideas they thought were cool so they copied them for their bikes like so many other people do and call it a custom chopper. and if the OCC crew is so bad for making money during the custom bike craze that america went thru and is still going thru think of it this way. without people like you paying for their goods and services, and the goods and services of their sponsors NOBODY would have made any money. Obviously for them to have made so much money they DID something right. I for one enjoyed the show and learned quite a bit. i am sorry to see it go.

24. 24 Ralfe Nov 27th, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I never was a fan of theme bikes anyways. Who needs a bike with little fake rockets on it or a fire siren. I can also think of alot better tributes to those lost on 9-11 than a motorcyle. I question what we are discovering on the Discovery channel!

25. 25 Mikey Dec 11th, 2012 at 3:17 am

It’s a dam shame how some people bash and wish bad things on others. I bet there isn’t one person who made bad comments about OCC would have turned down the chance to do what Paul Sr. did. Good or bad, if you made any comment, you must of watch the show. For it to run 10 years they were doing something right. I say, good luck to on the show and thanks for the 10 years of entertainment.

26. 26 Julianna Dec 11th, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Wow, This is just a TV show… Man, Least these guys gave the Biking industry some visibility even if it isn’t your type of bike. Some of you raving about Jesse James like he’s any better last I checked he is a biiger ass hole then these 2 ( but of course that is just an opinion) ? I wish them all luck, The show was entertaining and by the way Mickey quit the show a year ago to be a FT artist so he doesnt need a broom. Thanks for the show – But after 10 likely it was time.

27. 27 John Dec 12th, 2012 at 3:34 am

I am sad to see it go. I am a Hot Rodder and Drag Racer and love any kind of show that involves fabrication and technical know how. As far as the soap opera, I am suprised that during the years I feel like I know these guys and enjoyed all the trials and tribulations that human relationships bring to the story line. I have met most of them at shows and went up to NY once on business and stopped by the shops to see everything. They treated me very well which suprised me and always thanked me for being a fan. Say what you want, this show was the first change from the usual nightime tv fare of cop shows,crime shows and stupid mindless sitcoms. Me and most of the Gearheads I know will miss it and hope it gets picked up again by somebody with some sense. I don’t think I am going to waste my time watching some fake scriped show about Amish people with machine guns. How stupid can it get!

28. 28 GM Dec 16th, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I can understand all the comments but one thing to consider.

Their bikes will become works of art, not all of them for sure but if anyone has a few spare $$ then I suggest you find a famous one, buy it , wrap it up in dry conditions and sit on it for 100 years. Some of the bikes will become works of art. This situation is no difference to many old paintings and look what they are fetching now compared to when painted, many were thought of a rubbish!

You have been warned buy now or miss out. See you all in the next world :-) we can all look down and say “Damm I wish I had bought one or watch your family sell the things for zillions of $$$”.

Personalities should not get in the way.

Smiles from across the pond.

GM

29. 29 Charlie Jan 7th, 2013 at 6:52 am

The show started out with a good idea father and son building choppers and there life’s, differences, challenges. But as the show went on it change to there personal battles, more than the show. Paul Sr is a Recovering Alcoholic that just stopped drinking, and never stopped the Alcoholic way of thinking, but evidently he did stop drinking that good (good for you Paul Sr)
    Although the show got boring and repetitive the last few years, I said to myself I am done, but I kept watching it, and I am sure a lot of people did the same.
    I will miss the show, it did what I like took be out of myself for a hour, LOL,
    Nothing last forever.