Spectro Answers Your Engine Oil Questions.

Question: I’ve had a new quart in a never opened plastic quart bottle in my shed for about 6 or 7 years. The shed is in a location with hot summers and cold winters. Can I use it? Does engine have a shelf life?

Answer: As long as the bottle is sealed, the oil shelf life will be 10+ years. It won’t be affected by changes in temperature while in storage

Question: My dealer says I have to use the OEM lubricant in my motorcycle or my warranty is void.

Answer: This is not true and may, in fact, be illegal. Have the dealer put this in writing on his letterhead. We doubt he will. All you need to do to fulfill your warranty requirements is to use a lubricant that meets or exceeds the OEM specifications. Spectro products meet or exceed all manufacturers performance requirements. Spectro Performance Oils.

9 Responses to “Spectro Answers Your Engine Oil Questions.”

1. 1 Ronnie Nov 24th, 2012 at 10:52 am

Harley dealers tell a lot of BS to charge big bucks for a change of oil with their brand.

2. 2 Roadside Marty Nov 24th, 2012 at 12:28 pm

An excellent company with an excellent product!!

3. 3 ROGUE Nov 25th, 2012 at 8:42 am

I have been using Spectro for many years now and am Very Satisfied with it.
    As a matter of fact I also use their products in my transmission and primary as well as cleaning and polishing my motorcycle.

4. 4 Oldude Nov 25th, 2012 at 9:24 am

On a trip to Florida a H/D dealer in North Carolina try that with me . I had a buddy with me who was an attorney.
    He had a discussion with the owner of the dealership and we both got a complimentary full service fluid change. The owner had a discussion with the service manager also.

5. 5 Rodent Nov 25th, 2012 at 9:36 am

To maintain warrantee all you must do is keep receipts for products and you can do the service yourself. No need to have dealer do it. I never took either my cars or bikes to dealer for service unless it was warrantee or recall!

6. 6 jim Nov 25th, 2012 at 9:37 am

All Harley owners that have a motorcycle under warranty should be familiar with the Magnuson Moss Act.

Jim

7. 7 Jusmecuz Nov 25th, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I try tell that to people that pay ridiculous amounts of money to have their services/fluids done by these HD dealers. I tell them keep your receipts and take a pic of your odometer at each service/work performed and when/what you do. HD can’t deny a warranty claim from a customer on this basis alone… Period.

8. 8 Shanedrive Nov 26th, 2012 at 10:37 am

Yes, magnuson/moss will tell the story.

A few years ago I got the dirt on HD’s “360” rating compared to normal API/SAE ratings. It was actually a tick below most oils on the market. That may have changed but I doubt it.

All oil sales are nothing more than marketing, marketing marketing-period. If you’re ever curious about who is behind any manufacturers’ label/brand, all you have to do is contact the manufacturer and request an MSDS sheet. That is-if the product qualifies for MSDS.

9. 9 Blackmax Nov 26th, 2012 at 7:50 pm

“Let the buyer beware” !!!
    Truer words were never spoken
    i understand wanting to protect your investment
    (and that what bikes are these days!!)
    But you don;t have to buy all of the guff that the dealer tells you
    READ !!! Do your research and spread the word
    the people who read this blog know this kind of stuff already (or should)
    but the guy next door might not.
    By the way I’ve run various oils in my bike
    but I’ve always had better than excellent results with Spectro