Indian Motorcycle Unveils The 2013 Indian Chief Vintage Final Edition

Yesterday evening at the LA International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach, executives of Polaris/Indian unveiled to the press the very limited edition 2013 Indian Chief Vintage FE (for Final Edition.) It is the last version of the Kings Mountain era Indian Chiefs before the release of the brand new Polaris/Indian model in 2013 during Sturgis Bike Week. A stunning and powerful bike (105″ PowerPlus engine), it features the 1939 World’s Fair paint scheme of Thunder Black and Indian Red with gold pinstripes. To make it even more distinctive, each Final Edition features a numbered frame badge. So you know your exact place in the Indian legacy.

The 2013 Indian Chief FE marks the end of an era and is a tribute to all that was and all that will be. Steve Menneto, Polaris Industries Vice President of Motorcycles said: “We are working hard designing and building the new Indian Motorcycle, but we knew it was important to honor and celebrate the long and proud heritage of Indian Motorcycle. The Kings Mountain era played a key role in that continuing history. The Final Edition is an acknowledgement of our gratitude to the team at Kings Mountain for sustaining the Indian Motorcycle story and its heritage as America’s original motorcycle brand.” MSRP of the 2013 Indian Chief Vintage Final Edition starts at $37,599 in the US and $39,599 in Canada. Due to a very limited number of units available, you are encouraged to contact immediately an Indian Motorcycle Dealer. All model specifications after the jump.

24 Responses to “Indian Motorcycle Unveils The 2013 Indian Chief Vintage Final Edition”

1. 1 Brescia Dec 8th, 2012 at 11:04 am

Maybe a collectible bike. The last Chief of the 21th century…

2. 2 Mike Greenwald Dec 8th, 2012 at 11:19 am

Make way for the Indian “Casino”.

3. 3 Boots Dec 8th, 2012 at 11:37 am

Almost $40,000 for this “collectible” WOW!!!

4. 4 kc cheef Dec 8th, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Looks like Polaris plans to uphold the tradition of post Springfield Indians as long as they can.
    I do see Kings Mountain mentioned a few times but don’t see Gilroy being spoken of.
    Kings Mountain Indians were a knock off of the Gilroy bikes.
    Oh well.

5. 5 BobS Dec 8th, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Looks better than most CVO’s I’ve seen.

6. 6 Bludog Dec 8th, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Kings Mountain Era?

7. 7 richard Dec 8th, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I really like this bike…great looks! I wish I had a lot of money, I’d have one.

Hopefully, the production bike will retain the culture and the heritage of this one (I.E. Zero Arlan Ness influance). They will need to keep the price “reasonable” if they intend to make a substantial dent into Harleys market share.

8. 8 Markus Dec 8th, 2012 at 3:57 pm

You know it’s sorta fitting that the last of the bottle-cap PP engined bikes would be a red and black, since the first ones from Gilroy were.

9. 9 Blackmax Dec 8th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Ok, end of an era !!!
    let’s get ready to see the new one
    and watch this very blog that will blow up to a record 1000 comments !!!!
    SLOL !!!!
    (Again, I think multiple models over time (Scout & a full dresser) & they will be a hit )

10. 10 Rodent Dec 8th, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Such a deal! For that money I can get a real collectable Indian!

11. 11 RUB Dec 9th, 2012 at 1:32 am

now thats a motorcycle !

12. 12 Woody Dec 9th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

So THAT’S what an Indian front fender looks like on a Heritage…

13. 13 morpion Dec 9th, 2012 at 5:13 pm

it,s about time polaris do something nice,,very nice

14. 14 Tim "Roadkill" Werder Dec 9th, 2012 at 5:28 pm

+If I were Leno, there’d be a high-numbered 2013 FE and a low-numbered 2013 whatever in my collection, but I’m not, and there won’t be.

15. 15 bigalyts Dec 9th, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Nice looking Bike. looks classy and it stands out .I’ll wait till next year and buy one for $20K used. I don’t care what number I get, either!

16. 16 Bshirk Dec 10th, 2012 at 12:08 am

Still got the Fugly Fenders & is way overpriced…

17. 17 KD Dec 10th, 2012 at 8:05 am

Sure Bshirk, park your bike beside one of those with the ugly fender. Yours will never get a glance and the Indian will be constantly drooled over.

18. 18 Red Dec 10th, 2012 at 9:33 am

Best looking Indian since “53.

19. 19 DrummerDave Dec 10th, 2012 at 10:11 am

I like the appearance and the specs look good but WoW……Overpriced for sure

20. 20 Mike Corbin Dec 10th, 2012 at 10:57 am

Still uses too much HD DNA, just looking at front end, tranny + bags.

It will always be hard to be special while using main component designs from another company..

21. 21 TROPICAL WILLIE Dec 10th, 2012 at 10:47 pm

NICE but over priced should be around $22,500 to even be in this market and that is high.But a cool bike .

22. 22 Dave Dec 11th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

A Harley with an Indian replica front fender? That’s sure not 40 grand worth of iron. But wait………its got a collectors badge with a number on it. That’s a page right out of the Harley Anniversary and CVO playbook!

23. 23 Rick Lossner Dec 12th, 2012 at 12:40 pm

@Dave.. one could argue … HD’s are replica’s of Indians if you turn back the clock.. .. but that’s another discussion. Most people that whine about the $ on these, can’t afford an HD CVO…. so sort of negates their comments / comparisons?

The FE model is a beautiful bike.. as are all the ’09-’13s… they are essentially the same with different paint and Leather options. ( yes some have diff’ fenders and do/don’t have windshields). Many of the Gilroy era bikes are works of art as well. Downright beautiful.

I was in a bar a few months ago.. guy next to me was drunk and bragging about the used CVO is just got and that there were less than 10,000 of them and that made them collectible ( his words, not mine). I’m thinking that number was probably closer to 1,000 in a single model year but didn’t care to argue a number that was large anyways. I snickered and let him ramble on. ( I was on my ’09 Chief with less than 400 built that year) Additionally, one could argue Heritages are simply mimicking Indians, with less fender. Nice bikes.. but someone in this thread brought it up … not me.

There’s are less than 2,000 KM’ / Polaris ( ’09’ – ’13 ) bikes out there .. no matter how you spin this fact, if you are an owner of these bikes you’ve got a piece of history rolled into a drop dead gorgeous Indian Chief. The ride awesome. They are bigger than anything HD puts out ( I’m talking frame/fit to the rider, not 105 vs 110 motor) The only issue they had with these was the EFI somewhat sucked in a stock bike ( worst was the 09s and 10s). A stage one was finally released that eliminated the lean issues ( thanks to the f#%#$ing EPA) and there are PC5 solutions ( and at least two others) that shove some fuel into these to get them screaming as they should have from the factory. The PP105 is a torquey motor and pulls all day long.

Next year as many know…. the “GEN 4” comes out. The fun is just beginning … rumors of multiple models ( vs current Chief variations) …. a sub 20k option…. new motor .. new frame.. etc,etc… If you’re an Indian fan, next year will be an exciting one to see the options available. Hell.. the last 4 years have been an exciting ride for us that own them.

Signed
    Indian Fanatic / Owner and …………. HD owner

24. 24 Brett Dec 13th, 2012 at 10:41 pm

The deal with the price is most of the bike was made by other companies When Kings Mountain started up with Indian. The frames, the motor, the transmission……..all made outside the company, which means it had a set price which meant they had to be sold for top dollar to make a dollar.

Polaris, when they bought Indian from Stellican, just stayed as is until they could develop their own motor & frames. Part of the reason for this Final Edition is because the frames are now used up from the purchase.

The Kings Mountain bikes – were made in Kings Mountain NC, were upgrades over the Gilroy Inidan Chiefs in many aspects. Gilroys had issues & Kings Mountain fixed a few of them, but ended up with their own issues.

But the fact still remains, I own a HD Softail Standard that has been heavilty modified & a bone stock Gilroy Indian Chief other then the engine having it’s fixes.

If I have both bikes sitting next to each other & then a Victory pulls up……the Indian gets all the attention.

The average person on the street doesn’t even realize Victory is an American bike. Many guys I work with believed it was a Japanese bike & very surprised when I told them it wasn’t.

Polaris needs to do the 2014’s right & if they do, Victory may fade away.