Since a few days the rumor was that Jesse James might not have his “Chopper Live – The Revenge” custom bike done in time for the Discovery TV 4-way Build-Off this Monday & Tuesday. A couple of weeks ago, thanks to a crazy design, Jesse’s project already didn’t make the deadline requested by the Discovery production guys (Pilgrims Production) to give them enough time to edit the full shooting of the 4 bikes in competition while they were built. These are the TV show images in the American Chopper 2-hour special you are going to watch on Monday evening just before you are given the opportunity to text message your vote for your preferred builder/bike.

Whatever your preference in terms of personality and style of bikes, no true custom builder can be challenged on hard work and tenacity, 2 qualities that Jesse owns more than many. On his bikes, Jesse works mostly alone, calling for help only in extreme cases.

Jesse doesn’t care too much that the Discovery will not be able to get all images of his build until completion for the Monday evening show. What is more important for him is to make it on time on Tuesday evening to the Las Vegas Hard Rock Cafe stage with a very rideable custom bike, not with a pretty rolling sculpture. My name is Jesse…

Only those who never built something from scratch with their hands will not understand, but all others know that in our business bad things happen (in this case a bent main shaft drive), especially when you are the first to try something radically new, fabricating a one-off chassis and assembling on it parts that never met before on a motorcycle. Jesse’s story is not a publicity stunt. I was a far away witness, in contact with Jesse by email and text messages, of what unfolded for him during the last 4 days.

Last Thursday December 6, Jesse tweeted “Rolled the dice on a crazy design and it’s just not working…”. Then, again, on Friday December 7 at 2 a.m. “With my back against the wall, I called the best, Chris Rusch and Bert Baker. So blessed to have these guys drop everything and jump on planes to lend a hand and see if we can fix this. Working again all night…” Saturday December 8. 12.31 p.m. Text from Jesse on my phone “Cyril, I will not make it to the build-off. You can announce it. Want details?” 12.37 p.m. I reply “Not making it? Explain and send all details”

During this time, Christo Doyle from the Discovery channel tweets a picture of the Las Vegas Hard Rock Cafe and Casino stage being completed for the Live TV Show on Tuesday December 11 (9 ET/8 C). Then Christo tweets again “Saturday and still no Jesse James here. Today we are shooting desert riding shots around Las Vegas, but only with three bikes…” 3.17 pm. Jesse to me “All new frame & transmission design failed. Remaking everything. Pulled in Bert Baker and Chris Rusch to help. Worked till 4am last night. Parts I need are coming on plane right now. Going to work all night again…” Me to Jesse “You still can make it. Either way it goes, continue to try. Update me with texts pictures at any time.” Jesse to me at 3.25 p.m. “I will try and try …”

Sunday December 9, 4.30 a.m., Jesse tweets a picture of a new tranny saying “Sometimes it’s easier to start from scratch. should know if it works in a few hours…” 8.45 a.m. Sleepless in Austin, Jesse texts me a picture of himself still shaping some steel. Picture is as blurry as his vision and the one of each of his helpers. On social networks fans of Senior, Junior and of the Gas Monkey duo are now convinced that their favorite builder got an extra big chance to win. 2.00 pm Hearing promising news from Austin, but Jesse didn’t confirm to me. His bike has to be en route in just hours to make it to the build-off. During this time in Las Vegas, Discovery Chopper Live show production meeting is going on with host Sal Masekela and all the builders, minus Jesse… 3.20 p.m. Jesse texts to me “IT RUNS. FIXING A FEW THINGS AND WILL BE ON THE WAY TO VEGAS.” I ask Jesse to text me a picture of him (I can’t show you his bike…) Here it is. Looking exhausted enough?…. By the way, the bike is BADASS…

In conclusion. Jesse got the tools, skills and heart to not give up. With the help of a couple of friends of the industry he was able to finish what he started. And if he didn’t finish on time? Remember these words “An artist cannot fail because it is already a success to be one.”

Note: I would have written the same article for any builders in the Build-Off in the same last minute difficulty.

American Chopper Live. The Build-Off Revenge Between Jesse James, The Teutuls And The Team Of Richard Rawlings With Aaron Kaufman.

This Monday And Tuesday (December 10-11 at 9 pm ET/PT On Discovery Channel), many of you are going to tune in for the revenge that many fans have been asking for since last year when Paul Teutul Junior won by popular votes the 1st build-off competition against Jesse James. On Monday, the first part of this American Chopper two-night special will show you the 4 builders at work, trash talking each other (for fun & ratings), then you will have the opportunity to vote for your preferred custom bike/builder. On Tuesday, live from Las Vegas Hard Rock Cafe & Casino, with a little bit more of trash talking (still for fun) the build-off winner will be announced.

Cutthroat family drama event? Of course, it’s the way the Discovery Channel market it to create the largest audience possible. Reality? Between you & me, builders involved respect each other much more than what you can think, see and hear from them. Rivalry is good, entertainment is also good if you know how to recognize it. One thing I know for sure is that on Tuesday after a 10-year long-running cable TV reality series punctuated by family feuds and lawsuits, the stars of “American Chopper” Paul Sr. and Paul Jr. are going to get extremely emotional, at least inside, realizing that they are showing their bikes for the last time front of the cameras.

To “refresh” the competition, Discovery needed new characters. They found them with Richard Rawlings and Aaron Kaufman (nicknamed Tom & Jerry by Paul Sr.) already starring in another Discovery TV show called “Fast N’ Loud” where they bring derelict cars back to life in their Texas “Gas Monkey” garage. To spice the show on Monday, these 2 are never shy to verbally challenge Jesse James and the Teutuls on their building capabilities. But I know most of you are more interested by the bikes builders have built during the last 6 weeks than the hype required to create audience with a reality TV show. So, what do I know? I just give you a couple of hints until tomorrow Monday evening. The “Gas Monkey” duo restored a rigid knuckle from a basket case, Jesse did his fabrication thing on a “racer”, and the Teutuls intended to build a rideable street legal bikes. In the video below, Jesse James tells you a little bit more. Enjoy the foursome show hosted by Sal Masekela. Legendary rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd will headline the live show on Tuesday.

140 Responses to “Discovery Build-Off Chopper Live – The Revenge. Jesse James Pre-Show Building Drama.”

1. 1 jim in Marissa Dec 11th, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Some one send Jesse some cheese to go with his wine!!! LOL Why agree to a time line if you cant finish in that time. what a joke!!!! Jesse should man up and withdraw!

2. 2 bigchh Dec 11th, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Why does Jesse always sound and act so gay?

3. 3 bigchh Dec 11th, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Junior will win it again in a walk-a-way. The other bikes look like toys next to his. Flat out, he’s just the most creative builder out there!

4. 4 jason Dec 11th, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Jesse James says no one has ever successfully combined Harleys with sport bikes. Has he never heard of ROLAND SANDS, a previous biker build off competitor?!?!?!?

5. 5 wildbill Dec 11th, 2012 at 10:43 pm

2 sport bikes and a revamp do not make a Chopper Build Off !!!! Jesse was late..so sorry..follow the rules. If Junior or Senior were late JJ would have talked pure s%$#

6. 6 Jessica Dec 11th, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I hope you get it Jesse!

7. 7 dan gunter Dec 11th, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Jesse is the master builder, ask yourself this who would have build a hand built chopper the master or a bunch of wannabe computerized yes men. A man that can still work with hands is thing of the past.
    Hange in there Jesse they can never do what you can do.

8. 8 Jesse for life Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Its funny how you can tell who all like Jr. and Sr.. Keep bashing Jesse, your only making him better. He is a true bike builder and all Jr and Sr are doing is riding his wave. Who cares if he missed the deadline, thats part off building anything!!!!!

9. 9 Human Decency Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Too bad having bike-building skills doesn’t make you a better human being. Our character is our legacy, not a skill set. Jesse James will have to “live” with his complete lack of character as his legacy on his death bed someday.

10. 10 Roco Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Im voting for that sweet 67 Gibson Explorer.

11. 11 Dave Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Jesse, you’re a legend in your own mind, the public has spoken.. dude!

I would pay you to get in the rind with me for 1 round bud.

12. 12 Nicky10lbs Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I said this last year,and I will say it again . Let them do a build off by themselves.
    Nobody to help except for holdings things. Complete build off (One on One). Jesse would easily win. It’s a popularity contest. They just announce Little Paul won (SHOCKING). Then make them do a car One on One. Jesse is better ,but people hate him. That’s why I like the guy.

13. 13 where's Robert Ford when you need him... Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Justice served. The bikes that met the deadline placed first and second, and the better of those two won. Oh, and case you missed it Jesse acted like a little bitch again. Backed off of Aaron but bowed up on Richard cause he knows Aaron wouldn’t stop until he had his throat in his jaws.

14. 14 doc Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Shoot, i missed it again. Who won?

15. 15 05FLHRC Dec 12th, 2012 at 12:09 am

Not sure that PJD should have won this one. Impressed by Gas Monkeys offering. And, for the first time in 20 some years, Jessie finally built something other than a Diablo with different foot pegs. Actually showed some signs of intellegence.

16. 16 JAMES_H8R Dec 12th, 2012 at 12:40 am

GAS MONKEY DID IT WITH OUT ALL THE FANCY CNC MACHINERY, LOOK WHAT THE OCC, PJD OR JESSE MILLION DOLLAR SHOP TO G, MONKEY 10,000 DOLLAR SHOP, JJ DID TALK TO MUCH SMACK, SR ACTING LIKE HE’S SO GREAT, ONLY THING HE DOES GREAT IS HIRE PEOPLE WHO DOES WHAT HE WANTS, JR VERY TALENTED FABRICATOR, JESSE THINKS HE’S LIVE’ BACK IN THE 1700’S AS A BLACK SMITH, SORRY JJ OUT DATED JACK ASS, HE SHUT HIS SHOP DOWN BECAUSE AFTER SCREWING OVER SANDRA BULLOCK, NO ONE GAVE HIM BUSINESS, NOW HE MOVE’S TO TEXAS SAME AREA AS SANDRA B, MY VOTE WAS, 1 GAS MONKEY, 2 PJD, 3 SR, 4 JJ, I WILL ALWAYS BE A GAS MONKEY FAN, I WISH RICHARD WOULD OF KICK JJ ASS, AS WE ALL KNOW JJ WILL CALL THE COPS BECAUSE HE’S NOT A REAL MAN, JJ IS A BONIFIED PUSSY.

17. 17 The IMAGE Dec 12th, 2012 at 1:19 am

This is WEIRD… I don’t think tha WE as outsides are able to judge with such knee jerk reactionisms as a visual media has presented that contest. There are several things that we have to take into account before we judge. This is a popularity contest… Paulie built a serious bike, NO QUESTIONS ABOUT IT. I am KINDA TEAM JR. JESSIE comes off a lot abrasive, But I understand that GENUIS PERSPECTIVE DOES THAT TO SOME PEOPLE. James knows his stuff inside and out… I don’t think that we will understand all the details or innovations that Jessie built by hand on that ROCK SOLID looking Speedster Hauler @$$kicker. Hairy & Flairy were a suprise for second, but I do like them… Thay are not Chip Foose, but this was a respectable showing for Richard and the guy that does all the work. The Bike that OCC put together looks super sturdy, and the new tech rubbs against the old school ( Jessie James dominated ) perspective that we are used to seeing from him. Paul Jr. did deliver a better box… That Bike looks like a winner from the gate, but this is so many genre being pushed through a straw…. So much talent, going into the challenge it is so hard to gauge results so close to the results…. Even the lemon law give you 30 days to test drive the vehicle. I just gave my opinion I live the fusion and the color on Jessies’ Bike. I gotta get off my Black @$$ and offer KUDOS to everyone involved. Y9ou are all talented and derseving ( not in a Re Re award way )

18. 18 jusmy2cents Dec 12th, 2012 at 2:22 am

I think it is sad that none of these builders shows any kind of respect for each other. With the exception of Aaron. At least he did say he use to look up to Jesse. I think fame has went to their heads. Each one of these guys are obviously talented in what they do. Why can’t they put their egos aside and just apprieciate each others work? I fully expect Aaron to go out on his own now. He is far too talented to work for sombody else.I think he will go far.Just where would OCC be now if not for the show? I think they would still have Jr and would be building bikes in the old shop. These guys lost themselves in the fame and fortune. Too bad. As for Jesse he would still be in California at West Coast choppers doing what he loves to do. With out all the publicity he would not have the bad reputation he has built for himself.
    Fact is. Just because these guys have television shows does not make them any better than each other or anybody that builds bikes. Come on. Just do a search on google on custom bikes. there are thousands out there that would put any of these bikes to shame. that bein said . It does not mean they are better just different. beauty is in the eys of the beholder. Personally my ’78 shovelhead suits me just fine and I didn’t have to mortgage the house to buy it.

19. 19 screwie3 Dec 12th, 2012 at 3:07 am

who in the right mind finds jesse good he is a compleate ass wipe

20. 20 john reed Dec 12th, 2012 at 3:16 am

The discovery channel wins.
    They make a lot of programs like this filled with arrogant dick heads that believe their own bullshit .
    They drive me crazy but I cant stop watching

21. 21 jusmy2cents Dec 12th, 2012 at 3:51 am

yeah , your right john reed. like the host mentioning that jesse’s family was brought up in the argument the night before between ricard, aaron and jesse. then saying they had beefed up security. please. he then proceeded to tell ricard and aaron “gentel men and i use that term loosely” that was a smack in the face. they would have eat it up if there had been a fight. i do agree that discovery has made millions off these guys. but the guys ave profitted more. and most have sold their souls for it. terrible sportsmanship. in the final breake down. jesse and sr. got their ass’s whooped by a pink bike.

22. 22 Nelson Dec 12th, 2012 at 9:07 am

Jr and Sr definitely know what they are doing but there bikes are show pieces that have to be parked at all times and kept in a bubble. Jesse James is a true genious. He mentioned that you have to put love in the piece you build and he is right. His craftsmanship and skill set is untouchable. Jesse brought a true bike to the build off last year and lost in 2nd place to Jr. What a joke. A true biker wants to ride anywhere and everywhere and be able to trust the piece of machinery he is on. Jesse’s bike will can drive around the planet 10 times and not even need a tune up. Jesse hands down is the best at what he does. Go Austin Speed Shop!!!!!

23. 23 T.Cloke Dec 12th, 2012 at 11:37 am

when i heard the biker build off was comin back i was happy.these guys r good at buiding these rideable motorcycles.there is a but.this build off stinks how miney off these guys played by the rules.bike getting done on time 2.bike rode to the build off 1.bike trailered 3.i like jjs bike last year.you could ride it.this years bike was more of a cafe bike an a good show of talent.That looks fun.The gmg guys i could really inspiered me to start lookin for a bike.i seem to like fred.jr and sr take them bikes you put together.in them sheds you got at home or your guys musuem.

24. 24 gwen Dec 12th, 2012 at 11:45 am

This was a waste. For a title of Revenge, the builders should of been Junior, Senior and Jesse. Not some wannabees who can’t follow the rules and build a bike. Their attitude and actions toward the real bike builders where childish and repulsive. I guess you just can’t have a show without a comedy element. I felt the addition of fast and loud was a stinging slap in the faces of Jesse, Senior and Junior. Fast and loud don’t belong on tv. The talk of disqualifying Jesse was nonsense, those texans didn’t start from scratch and do a build, they remodeled, they should of been disqualified. The criteria wasn’t met and the Discovery Channel should of disqualified them.
    I want to congratulation Senior, Junior and Jesse on excellent bikes. I felt they met the mark and went over it. If I were the three mentioned above I would avoid another bike build off.

25. 25 T.S. Dec 12th, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Jesse is such a loser!!!!! Grow up!!!!

26. 26 Steve O Dec 12th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

JJ….how come we never saw your bike racing down the streets in Vegas? Did it ever run under its own power? Is it just a paperweight? Your skill set appears to have failed you. Again. And again. And again. And again.

27. 27 tbonz Dec 12th, 2012 at 12:24 pm

You know…I can see Jessie’s point…this is a popularity contest. He had the best bike last time round and lost. Paul Jr has never been a great builder of anything other than “Theme Bikes” I mean come on…Jessie’s right he does have more skills than all of them together. Jr is, has and always will be a piece of shit media whore, there was a reason he never went on the original “Biker Build Off” And Gas Monkey…give me a break, they didn’t even build a bike, they restored an old harley…granted Jessie and Sr should have built choppers but they know its not about the bikes anymore…it’s all about the Media Whore Paul Kardashian I mean Jr

28. 28 Phillip Williams Dec 12th, 2012 at 2:22 pm

GAS MONKEY SUCKS!!! I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE GUY (OTHER THAN AARON TURN A WRENCH). If anybody should be disqualified is should be gas monkey…that took a Harley, stripped it down and represented it. Of course it has a title jerk offs it was built by Harley-Davidson. I have lost respect for Jesse over his personal life, but this is a motorcycle buildoff, not a popularity contest. I really respect Jr. for how he has handeled his father and Sr. was/is such a prick so I figured Junior would win based on Discovery morons and not true wrench turners. Jesse said it himself “…as long as they continue to mention his name in conversation when talking about building skills, he is the benchmark…” ‘nough said

29. 29 al zill Dec 12th, 2012 at 2:34 pm

They all were great. But fast and loud should have got more votes. After all it’s a Harley.

30. 30 johnnie Dec 12th, 2012 at 6:43 pm

what a joke jesse james is im the best nobodey can do what i do i got a vision such a joke and what a crybaby it looked like he was going to break out in tears when he lost the gas monkey guys should have kicked your butt that would have been helarious the gas monkey guys were the best like they said we will beat him with a pink bike and they did plus they road theres there i like there show to and off jesses show it sucks like he does why do they even have it on t v i no to see you cry lol lol what a looser

31. 31 Blue Dec 12th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Jesse James says no one has ever successfully combined Harleys with sport bikes… Jesse, you must have forgotten about John Reed’s Vee … And that you wanted one… 😉 And what exactly do you call a Buell?

32. 32 Bob Reynolds Dec 12th, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Jesse James is a f**ktard!

He needs to drop his ego, drop his show, and disappear from the face of the earth.

33. 33 MG Dec 12th, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Billy Lane is a way better bike builder than any of the “talented builders” on this lame excuse of a build off!

34. 34 Aurelio Giannitti Dec 13th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Sir,
    Thanks for the update on the last minute scrambling of Team Jesse.
    I’m requesting your assistance with possibly contacting someone to truly appreciate the farce referred to as LIVE REVENGE. I have never written in to anything before and I have been riding since 1969. I now own ten motorcycles including 250cc gas savers, cruisers, touring, and super-sport. I also owned two home built choppers in the 70’s.
    I’m hoping through your help to show that DC screwed up the build off and the people watching have no idea of true craftsmanship and innovation; that Paul Sr absolutely floored me with his build OUT-FING-STANDING; and last but far from least to highlight “The Craftsman” – Jesse James. His relentless integrity to truly construct a legitimate prototype motorcycle in weeks, that harley and the rest of the motorcycle industry can’t accomplish in years or even decades, should have been a major discussion and lauded on the las vegas stage. Secondly, Paul Sr’s total manufacturing of his aluminum prototype, with futuristic rear suspension, should have also been a huge feature, just under Jesse’s machine. I would love to be able to contact a serious motorcycle magazine and encourage them to feature Jesse’s and Paul Sr’s prototypes with true honor and sincerity – far away from discovery channel hack job – without a competition. I gathered from the show there is some respect between Jesse and Sr, and that should be displayed with their prototype accomplishments. I would love to see the prototypes on a legitimate track with huge smiles of pride, knowing there are people who know what they really accomplished.

35. 35 Mike Dec 13th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Not only did Jessica James lose to Junior again, he lost to a couple of guys who did nothing more than clean up an old bike. This show was supposed to be about “choppers,” yet James and Senior showed up with a Cafe style bike and a hybrid dirt bike. James keeps mouthing off about the Teutels not making their own stuff, but taking things off the shelf. Other than the frame and “tins,” what does James make himself—the engine, trans, wheels, tires, forks, etc? Hardly. Jr and Sr make more of the bike in house than James does. James is a whacked out wise-ass, with no class and what looks like little more than a 6th grade education. He sounds like Dustin Hoffman’s character in “Rainman” every time he opens his big mouth. James a “bike God?” There are many bike builders out there that could kick James’ ass on a daily basis. I certainly hope this is the last we see of this big mouth loser. I can’t end this without taking a shot at Discovery for sticking us with totally “lame” hosts these last two years.

36. 36 T.Cloke Dec 13th, 2012 at 8:09 pm

PEOPLE WE ALL JUST NEED TO CALM DOWN .SHSHSHSHSHSHSH THERE R THE RULES THAT EVERYONE ON THE SHOW IS SUPPOSE TO FELLOW.WE HAVE ALL WATCHED BIKER BUILDOFF BEFORE. WE THE VIEWING PUBLIC.UNDERSTAND THESE RULES.ONE MAN COULD NOT BUILD HES BIKE BY HIMSELF BECAUSE HE HAS A HARD TIME ASKIN FOR HELP. AN WHEN HE DID IT WAS TO LATE FOR HIM 6 WEEKS IS 6 WEEKSGETTING BAC TO THE RULES.ALOT OF THE BIKES WHERE JUST BIKESTORNED DOWN AN REBUILT. RULES JUS FOLLOW THE RULES.I KNOW BUT RULES R MADE TO B BROKEN.

37. 37 T.Cloke Dec 13th, 2012 at 8:15 pm

HEY BLUE I THINK THE SO-CAL BOY MADE THAT BIKE FIRST ON BIKER BUILDOFF WASNT THERES A REBUILD TO.GOSH I GOT TO FIND MY TAPES THAT HAS THOSE BIKES

38. 38 Cleo Dec 14th, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Fast and loud refurbished a bike , they didn’t build one , Jessie James couldn’t get one finished in Time . Pjd bike was nice didn’t seem functional , orange county choppers bike the forks didn’t match the bike they built . Come on discovery channel , give us something real and not scripted ! How about some David and Goliath matches , I don’t watch these shows to see there dirty laundry . We want to see bike building . Some roger goldammer . , Matt hotch , , etc , etc …

39. 39 shoelip Jan 22nd, 2013 at 12:10 pm

exile wipe the floor with them all.lucky the farce that is occ/pjd is over ! more talent less drama please discovery.

40. 40 ELENA Feb 27th, 2013 at 9:28 pm

HI EVER SENCE U CAME INTO K VON D LIFES NOW SHEIN NOT ON TV OR AT HER SHOP ITS LIKE SHE DESAPEARD FROM EARTH THATS NOT GOOD AT ALL PERIOD HER FANS MISS HER. I DONT THINK U ARE GOOD FOR HER PERIOD U JESSE JAMES ONLY THINK OF YOURSELF. U ARE SELFISH IT FEELS GOOD TO SAY HOW I FEEL FROM MY HEART COUSE ITS TRUE

x