Rossmeyer’s Harley-Davidson To Close Its Fort-Lauderdale Dealership

Although sales of heavy cruisers motorcycles started to bottom out in 2011, with sales up about 1.5% until 3rd quarter of 2012, Harley-Davidson dealership network continues its consolidation started in 2008. Another example is Rossmeyer’s Harley-Davidson closing its store in Fort Lauderdale at 2871 North Federal Highway and regrouping in its other larger store at 201 International Parkway in Sunrise, Florida.

The store will close at the end of the year with only some employees transferred to the Sunrise location. Rossmeyer’s Harley-Davidson Sunrise is 64,000 sq. ft and employs about 55 people. The Rossmeyer group shut down another Pompano Beach, Florida store on Interstate 95 in 2010 and later sold the real estate.

24 Responses to “Rossmeyer’s Harley-Davidson To Close Its Fort-Lauderdale Dealership”

1. 1 Romano Dec 15th, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Should have been done a long time ago.

2. 2 GuitarSlinger Dec 16th, 2012 at 12:31 am

Interesting contradiction . According to the company …. sales are up ( where ? ) According to almost every dealer you talk to …. sales are flat ( here in the US ) … then there’s actions like this that lead me to believe perhaps the company is ‘ spinning ‘ the facts .

Hmmmmmm πŸ˜‰

3. 3 TROPICAL WILLIE Dec 16th, 2012 at 1:00 am

ITS the damn economy, its bad all over Florida ,gas prices tax’s grocery’s cloths ever thing gos up but wages stay the same or go down .insurance up, hell its a damn recession in Florida and not much in the way of jobs I know people working three jobs trying to make it in Volusia county its real bad.

4. 4 Boss Hawg Dec 16th, 2012 at 10:18 am

Folks I own a couple retail stores and would like to outline a recent purchase for you that Rossmeyer’s Destination Daytona did not earn after I asked that they respect my time and I would theirs.

I live 20 minutes for Rossmeyer’s Destination Daytona and have purchased from there before, however, with firsthand knowledge let me tell you Rossmeyer’s is not the Rossmeyer’s of before.

Basic mathematics, respect and customer service speak volumes every time. Rossmeyer’s Destination Daytona’s lower trade-in offers and higher prices are economic business models of failure including very poor customer service.

As long as Scott Wagner is the sales manager at Destination Daytona, savvy customers like me, and I did, go down the road on a daily basis and BUY from Space Coast Harley Davidson in Palm Bay FL everyday of the week.

The deal….Same model and model year Bike to Bike deal (2013 Street Glide) package was less at Space Coast Harley Davidson.
    ….SCHD $4300 Trade In over and above Rossmeyer’s.
    ….SCHD Bike at MSRP…Rossmeyer’s $600 0ver MSRP.
    ….SCHD no costs Cruise Control, ABS and Factory Security ($1595 value).
    ….Interest Rate 5.9% vs Rossmeyer 11.99% ($1800 over the life of the loan).
    ….Rossmeyer’s would not discount the parts, however SCHD discounted Parts & Accs., plus free delivery and pick up with bike services.
    ….SCHD Customer Service and Sales Manager second to none!

Spend your money wisely. Basic mathematics, respect and customer service earn my money anytime.

Boss Hawg

5. 5 Smittydog Dec 16th, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Motorcycle sales are a cyclical buisness,Don’t expect good things for a few years yet.

6. 6 Git Real Dec 16th, 2012 at 1:18 pm

My apologies Willie….but I must disagree with “its bad all over Florida”. I opened a new retail store in a strip center in Palm Coast eight months ago at a cost of well over $250K and it is doing well! Pays ALL its bills since the doors opened and puts money in the bank to boot. It has four full-time employees and is going to pay Christmas Bonuses, too. Others I know in both industries are doing the same with much success!

As for Harley’s sales naysayers….I will use Rossmeyer’s Destination Daytona and Scott Wagner (Sales Manager) as a most recent example trying to buy a 2013 Street Glide. Their actions and inaction speak volumes. Their business model is way out of tune. One cannot think they can still sell bikes for thousands more and tack on multiple points and make a deal …. As they say…the ole girl ain’t what she used to be.

Rossmeyer’s Destination Daytona’s mathematics, lack of customer service, arrogant & pompous sales manager, along with under valued trades, over priced motorcycles and add-on interest points (yes points, not a point) is their recipe for failure. I will assume it runs throughout the organization based on their closures to date since Bruce’s unfortunate demise.

Note…I saved over $8K 100 miles down I-95.

Git Real

7. 7 Branson Dec 16th, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Willie. No offense but the Volusia county has always been economically the trash can of Florida. Not representative of the rest of the state.

8. 8 Martin Twofeather Dec 16th, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I agree with git real totally,,,,,

9. 9 calif phil Dec 16th, 2012 at 4:44 pm

It’s too bad for the employees.

10. 10 Dave Smith Dec 16th, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Another greed story. Last year as we arrived in Daytona for Bike Week in the rain with trailers (no jokes please) and made Rossmeyer’s our first stop. We were directed to the field across the street, where the first trailer was charged $15 to park. When they came to me they said it would be $25. Why?? Because I had a two axle trailer. I mounted a small protest but paid the fee. As I was pulling through, I was told “by the way, you can’take the bkes off.” I wasn’t, but I asked why. He said because “it will be $100 if you unload.”

At the dealership I complained and they told me that the field and parking lot were indeed Rossmeyer’s but the store couldn’t do anything about what they charged.

I reckon there’ll be about three inches of ice on the waters of Daytona Beach before we go back there again.

11. 11 bullgator101 Dec 17th, 2012 at 11:55 am

First off, sales are up from what they’ve been. Second, as for Scott Wagner. Scott’s job is to try and make money for his boss, as is mine. Scott will do everything legal to do so, including offering you less than what you think your trade is worth. But that’s good business on his part, your job is to save as much as possible and his is to make as much. Don’t be upset that he maybe better at negotiations than you. And it sounds like you did fine anyways with your purchase so just smile and be happy. I sold more than a few bikes here that were loser deals for the company, just to make a customer happy. So don’t imply otherwise, we are very fair for what we have to offer.

12. 12 In the know Dec 17th, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Well obviously customers did not get the “feel good” deal walking away from the store and bad word travels fast, so regardless of your opinion of Scott bullgator101, there were obviously more than just Boss Hawg that felt the same about the dealings at that store.
    Treat EVERY….EVERY person fairly instead of trying to see who you can screw for more money, and who you can’t, and you’d still have a job.
    They’re called “business models” for a reason….

13. 13 TROPICAL WILLIE Dec 17th, 2012 at 2:20 pm

git real??? what kind of business did you open in PALM COAST ???I HAVE LOTS OF FRIENDS that live there and the housing market also sucks I have seen 200 thousand dollar homes go for 56,ooo and look at all the government purchased homes don’t piss on my leg and tell me its raining get real

14. 14 Git Real Dec 17th, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Tropical Willie…..

With all due respect….Git ur head out of the ink well brother. Tell us something new here…housing market sucked everywhere but is turning coastal zones. 1,400 families/day moving to within 4 miles of the coast from Galveston to Virginia Beach…

I have a scheduled closing January 15th on a house that sold for well over $300K…oh don’t fret, appraisal is done, home inspected and I am prequalified….$115K

It is what it is….and don’t pay a dime more.

Git Real

15. 15 Rick Dec 17th, 2012 at 5:58 pm

To Boss Hawg, help me. Im unemployeed two paymts behind, buy my 2012 Street Bob so I dont destroy my credit. When and if I get job can pick up another… help a bro.

16. 16 Boss Hawg Dec 17th, 2012 at 6:22 pm

@ Rick….

Motorcycle poor at the moment and building another hot-rod to boot.

Please try putting an advert in the Motorcycle Trader classifieds or on BikerorNot…they both have “Help A Bro” sections. I am sure if the price is right you will find a buyer.

Boss Hawg

17. 17 Boss Hawg Dec 17th, 2012 at 6:33 pm

@ Bullgator101

You are a funny one at that. A little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing. No deal does not equate “good business on his part”.

That’s why I/wesend our “friends” and anyone we may hear about considering buying a bike to Space Coast Harley Davidson and sometimes up to Adamecs…plus they pay bird dogging spiffs to the good pointers.

Economics101 works…maybe you and the rest of the gang at work should try it! Don’t worry about me, I’ve done quite well for myself.

Boss Hawg

18. 18 Rodent Dec 18th, 2012 at 9:41 am

Dave Smith
    Your mistake was making Destination Daytona(miles from Daytona) you’re first stop or you’re last stop or any stop!

19. 19 THUG Dec 18th, 2012 at 10:38 am

THEY SOLD IT TO AN OUT OF COUNTRY PERSON , SO THEY CAN LIVE HERE , IF YOU HAVE MONEY AND WANT TO LIVE HERE (USA) ..ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS BUY A BUSINESS 500K OR MORE AND THEIR IN!! THAT’S BULLSHIT THERE!!! THE NEW OWNER DOESN’T WANT TO HAVE 2 STORES SO HE REDUCED IT TO ONE STORE . SO NOW THAT THEW GOVERNMENT LETS THIS KINDA STUFF HAPPEN , AND GOOD PEOPLE LOSE THEIR JOBS TO LET AN OUT OF COUNTRY PEOPLE DO THIS!!!! THINGS HAVE GOT TO CHANGE OR WILL ALL CHANGING OUR FLAG TO WHOEVER HAS THE MOST MONEY TO BUY US!!!!

20. 20 Git Real Dec 18th, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Rossmeyer’s is just a machine and, in my opinion, has taken a dive since Bruce passed.

Most there could not care one rats ass about you or another…its all about the greenback…total lack of customer service and loyalty. Nothing personal but I do think top down starts with Shelly, Will or Mandy! Most locals I know and several other smart buyers I have met take their business elsewhere, South and North.

Profit is not a dirty word, but if I was the owners I would emulate from the success of others around me in the marketplace and take more than my market share.

Like Boss Hawg says “Economics101” works.

Now Git Real

21. 21 Rodent Dec 18th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

THUG
    Enlighten us all and tell us who owns the aforementioned.

22. 22 sickboy Dec 18th, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I believe the new owners of Fort Lauderdale HD, that’s right, new owners- as in sold- were not interested in the headaches that came with the closing store(building), such as the high taxes, high rent district, no parking, noise ordinance, etc. That area is better for furniture stores and electronics. The new owners already have several HD dealerships elsewhere and hopefully will breath some fresh air into South Florida.

23. 23 Littlerider22 Dec 19th, 2012 at 1:47 am

That’s what happens when you combine high prices, shitty attitude, no customer service training, very little respect for employees, customers and hiding behind charity stuff and police contracts to make people think you are better than everybody else. Having dealt with Rossmeyer Daytona, the store across the street “selling” custom bikes and other bs going around those people, I am not surprised that another dealership in the Rossmeyer “empire” is closing down.

24. 24 1550tc Dec 24th, 2012 at 11:03 am

arrogant & pompous sales manager,

that has been a trade mark of those stores……….success breed arrogance at those stores for years

anyone over 50 who hasn’t figured out the highs and lows of living in coastal tourist states yet………then stay there and keep bitchin and moaning online in your pj’s……….or SFU, buy a parka, and move to ND, with its less than 3% unemployment

Crusher