Steve McQueen Tribute Chopper To Be Offered At Las Vegas Auction

ESCC_McQueenNot completely convinced that McQueen would have ordered this type of custom bike, but I am told that it was created by East Side Custom Choppers with the approval and participation of Barbara Minty McQueen, Steve’s widow. So, I may be wrong. Who knows?

The bike was constructed in 2007 and presented in conjunction with the debut of “An American Rebel”,  a documentary film about McQueen’s life, and the release of “The Last Mile,” Minty McQueen’s highly personal book about her time with the actor during his final years.

Besides it sporty underpinnings, the bike’s graphics treatment sets it apart from other customs. Various McQueen movie logos adorn the bodywork, as does a barbed-wire theme taken from “The Great Escape,” one of the star’s best-loved movies, in which he did much of his own stunt riding. A Gulf Oil roundel recalls “Le Mans,” McQueen’s 1971 ode to the 24-hour car race. The top of the gas tank contains an airbrushed likeness of McQueen from “Bullitt,” plus a good luck medallion passed down from McQueen’s father to his son and an inscription from Minty McQueen.

To be auctioned in Las Vegas January 10th by Bonhams. Location: The Grand Ballroom of Bally’s Hotel & Casino on The Strip. Schedule: • Preview Day: Wednesday 9th, 10:00am-5:00pm • Memorabilia Auction: Thursday 10th, 10:00am • Motorcycle Auction: Thursday, 10th, 12:00 noon. Catalog: $45. Admission Fee: none.

25 Responses to “Steve McQueen Tribute Chopper To Be Offered At Las Vegas Auction”

1. 1 ian Jan 5th, 2013 at 9:35 am

Got to say I rather like it and considering its 5 years old now – the styling is right up to date – just give it a funky new paint job

2. 2 Rodent Jan 5th, 2013 at 10:37 am

I don’t think that Steve McQueen if still alive would approve of the above creation. I can’t blame Barb from trying to milk every last nickel out of her connection to Steve. Seems like she’s at a auction every year either in Vegas, Quail or Pebble Beach trying to sell at connection to Steve no matter how slight.
    PS I got turned onto bikes in 1963 at the Paramount Theater (now the Hard Rock Cafe) in Manhattan by Steve McQueen in THE GREAT ESCAPE!

3. 3 1951vbs Jan 5th, 2013 at 11:10 am

Nice Bike! Looks like a Redneck Mutant Buell.

4. 4 Sharrack Jan 5th, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Pretty cool but the McQueen connection is questionable at best.
    Not sure anyone would pay more for a bike he never approved of, rode or is that far removed from..

5. 5 Sharrack Jan 5th, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I’d like it a bunch more if they lost that gaping void in front of the engine.
    Keep the rake…..just pull the front end back a foot.
    More like a McQueen bike to me.

6. 6 burnout Jan 5th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Maybe it’s the angle of the photo but the line across the top of the gas tank is not right. The tank is too low at the front. Exaggerates the distance to the neck. Except for that the bike looks cool. peace

7. 7 nicker Jan 5th, 2013 at 8:36 pm

McQueen and Ekins were into riding motorcycles, not profiling down the boulevard.
    I’m think-n a Rickman Metisse, would be more appropriate than this scooter…..???

-nicker-

8. 8 AX Jan 5th, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Everyone is certainly being kind, considering that is the most ridiculous POS I’ve ever seen. I seriously doubt that McQueen would have been caught dead on that thing.

9. 9 Dr Robert Harms Jan 6th, 2013 at 7:11 am

Mc Queen connection is obvious —follow the money. May work may not

10. 10 Dr Robert Harms Jan 6th, 2013 at 7:13 am

Im conidering a “Babe Ruth” tribute bike . Anyone have a lead on some great great grandchild twice removed that needs a few bucks ?

11. 11 Seymour Jan 6th, 2013 at 8:38 am

Pimping. Sad. She probably would have gotten a smack.

12. 12 JohnJ. TEXAS Jan 6th, 2013 at 8:54 am

I agree with Sharrack…
    The bike length along with the style of sport bike front end is way off… and the frame? I dunno… just shaking my head… and not in a good way. Wrong can be good… but this isn’t it.

13. 13 Olive Oil Jan 6th, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I can’t remember the details but I was in a gas station down south (possibly New Mexico) many years ago refueling my bike. I noticed a pickup truck in the station with a dirt bike in the back. The woman driving told me it was Steve McQueens old bike and she was on her way to auction it off. I believe the woman driving the pickup was Ali MacGraw. Some things you just don’t ever forget.

14. 14 Iron Horse Jan 6th, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Gotta agree with nicker…a desert racing sled would be WAY more appropriate than this scoot.

15. 15 Septic the Sceptic Jan 7th, 2013 at 2:02 am

Horrible.

16. 16 RUB Jan 7th, 2013 at 2:26 am

gotta agree with Rodent , I don’t see McQeen riding this “thing” .

17. 17 Kroeter Jan 7th, 2013 at 8:49 am

Looks like a fairing from a Yamaha Seca II

18. 18 Jack Jan 7th, 2013 at 11:59 am

Looking at this bike in light of McQueen is a bigger head scratcher than Pontiac’s green light decision for the Aztec

19. 19 Hoyt Jan 7th, 2013 at 12:15 pm

20. 20 Marc Mazerolle Jan 7th, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Ok, listen carefully, “my” Steve McQueen, that’s the image of the dude I know from movies and documentaries and would not have ridden one of these. Jus sayin’, this bike is for some folks but pretty sure McQueen would have been a purist as far as motorcycles go. Hey, if it sells, give some money to a charity, that will make everyone feel better, right?

21. 21 Flip Jan 7th, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Fairing/engine/wheels and front end from a Buell XB9/XB12. What a waste of a good bike.

22. 22 Kirk Perry Jan 7th, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Where exactly did Steve McQueen die? I stayed at that “cancer clinic” near K-55 in Baja south of Tijuana after they turned it into a “hotel”, which was actually only a collection of double-wide house trailers strung-out along the edge of the cliff over looking the beach along a stretch of coastline that’s always socked-in with gloomy weather.

What a fricking depressing place to die…. man…especially will the “clinic: is draining your bank account of money and hope. That’s colder in an already cold place.

So when it gets down to the end…. all the Hollywood attention means nothing.

I’d rather die on the beach in Hawaii of a heroin overdose, wearing a bowler hat and a bow-tie.

23. 23 Kirk Perry Jan 7th, 2013 at 5:23 pm

There should be an ongoing category of custom builds known as “A bike Steve McQueen would ride” .

Or, the “McQueen” award someone receives (online of course 🙂 ) when their build ring’s the bell of majority opinion.

24. 24 izadore007 Jan 7th, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Nice looking Scoot! but it look like something that the ‘ Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” would be Sporting! If you really want to know what Steve Mcqueen would be riding now? Ask Malcom Smith? He would know, cause he would be Riding right next to him!!!

25. 25 Kid Schlock Jan 7th, 2013 at 11:48 pm

So do you judge the people who make Steve McQueen watches, cars, clothes, sunglasses, men’s cologne (at $200 a pop) to the same standard? I wonder who collects money on those items?