Fast Motorcycle Industry News

cyril-Huze-fast-news1328Samson Exhaust Has Relocated In Sturgis. Just on time for the 2013 Black Hills Rally, Samson Exhaust has completed its relocation from California to Sturgis. If you want to visit the new plant, the address is Industrial Park at 1151 Industry Road, Sturgis, SD 57785. “Over eight years ago I had my first conversations with Sturgis area leaders about moving our manufacturing business to the Black Hills. It has been a long road with many people helping us obtain our goal. This move is a giant step for Samson Exhaust to continue to be a world-class provider of quality products to the motorcycle community, and where better should we be but in Sturgis – the world renowned “City of Riders.” said Samson founder and CEO Kenny Price.

Harley-Davidson Australia To Keep Its Australia Factory Open, Saving 110 Jobs. Harley reversed its decision to close its Adelaide components and wheels making manufacturing plant. The State Government of South Australia which owns the plant, waived rent at the site to help secure the deal after months of talks in a major boon for manufacturing in SA. Harley-Davidson had previously announced in December 2011 it would close the component and wheel-making plant by the middle of this year .

Norton Motorcycles To Sell In Australia And New Zealand. Norton is working with the Fraser Motorcycles Group to homologate and develop a dealer network to distribute the Norton 961 Commando range. “Australia and New Zealand are an exciting addition to our distribution network and offer an excellent prospect as we’ve received enormous levels of interest,” according to a Norton statement. Interested motorcycle dealers in the 2 countries can contact Norton via their website.

23 Responses to “Fast Motorcycle Industry News”

1. 1 Duke Jul 11th, 2013 at 9:18 am

I could be wrong, but it can’t be cheap to ship product in and out of Sturgis. I guess you are a little more centrally located but its still a LONG way to Florida from South Dakota. But, I hope it works out for them.

2. 2 Rodent Jul 11th, 2013 at 9:27 am

Who gives a f that Norton is setting up distributor in Australia and NZ. What about the USA?

3. 3 Rodent Jul 11th, 2013 at 9:32 am

Kenny is smart to get away from doing business in California, South Dakota is much more business friendly but the weather sucks, tornados, snow,etc. He’s in a great area with lots of gun and ammo manufactures.

4. 4 Shifter Jul 11th, 2013 at 9:36 am

Rodent. Except that Cyril has readers all over the world, including Australia & New Zealand. By definition, a website is international.

5. 5 CafeSportyTC Jul 11th, 2013 at 10:42 am

Rodent, if you have read anything about norton lately you’d know that the bikes they are eventually bringing to the usa are still going through EPA and DOT testing… it takes time.

6. 6 Rodent Jul 11th, 2013 at 6:09 pm

SCREW DOT , EPA, CARB plus the NSA,ATF,CIA,DEA ,FBI.IRS NBC,CBS,ABC and all the rest of the letters

7. 7 big doug Jul 11th, 2013 at 6:40 pm

We already have one norton 961 racing here in new zealand,now if he could just send the other four that people paid for in full 3 years ago.I’d be very wary of giving stuart garner any money just google norton 961 and find out how many people are pissed.

8. 8 LoneRider Jul 11th, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Good for you Kenny glad to see your still going strong. It is a good move for his company and all other companies trying to do buisness in ca. They (ca) are driving out buisness at a record rate. I guess ca is trying to be a bedroom, and retail state, yeah that will work.

9. 9 KD Jul 12th, 2013 at 5:54 am

Hmmmm. Wonder why HD reversed its decision and is keeping the Australian plant open. Maybe because Indian is already selling 2014s there???

10. 10 Terence Tory Jul 12th, 2013 at 6:50 am

KD,It’s because that very high quality casting and machining plant has been producing just about all of Motor Company’s cast wheels for over a decade.Free rent for a good while from the S.A. state government into the future has got H-D’s attention and they have decided to stay put.I’m sure it has nothing whatsoever to do with anything to do with the Indian startup.

11. 11 BobS Jul 12th, 2013 at 8:20 am

I suspect California has many advantages. Availability of skilled or educated labor, availability of supporting businesses like marketers, accounting firms, legal firms. Cheap shipping routes and rental space…all those would require a little extra work and effort relocating to rural South Dakota. My guess is the thinking is opening up your factory for tours/ hospitality once a year to half a million potential customers is being bet on to get a leg up on competitors.

12. 12 pokergolf420 Jul 12th, 2013 at 9:47 am

Yet another company leaving California because of the costs. Eventually the only thing being made in Cali will be tacos.

13. 13 DJ Jul 12th, 2013 at 10:39 am

I am going to buy 3 sets of sampson pipes today just to show support for them leaving california as i would for any company that did so.

14. 14 Kirk Perry Jul 12th, 2013 at 1:15 pm

~ An M/C online safety course can save you money down the road ~

• You’re wondering how I did on my motorcycle safety course?

I passed the course with an impressive score of 92% (missed two out of 25. One was a percentage of injuries in an M/C crash. I said 40%. The answer was 80%. The second one I missed was, length between vehicles. I said 12 seconds under certain conditions. The answer was 4 seconds.)

There are no do-over’s on the test. Once completed, a certificate will be sent to you in the mail. And, a copy gets sent up to the “insurance cloud” for record, that can be verified the next time any motor vehicle insurance is being purchased – when “Yes!” is your answer to their question, “Have you ever taken a M/C safety course?”

15. 15 Woody's Jul 12th, 2013 at 4:40 pm

The closer you get to the middle of the nation’s population center, the lower your shipping cost will be, so I don’t see how this move is a bad thing for shipping.

16. 16 richard Jul 13th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

rodent…you forgot biggest liars…faux “news”

17. 17 Bryan Jul 13th, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Rodent. Richard is right. The worst TV news channel is of course FOX (FAUX) news. Only BS propaganda for the GOP. Election day, they knew that Romney was winning the Presidential bid. LOL.

18. 18 Mike Corbin.com Jul 15th, 2013 at 8:43 am

Congratulations Kenny (:-) u dun it !

19. 19 Kirk Perry Jul 16th, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Derek @ San Diego HD had the color-book for 2014 this morning, but not the color combinations HD will choose later, but a lot more solid colors than were available in 2013.

For the Sportster 1200 cp, a new crimson red. Midnight (blue pearl) is back, Birch white – still a staple, a new charcoal grey and charcoal black as combinations. Silver too is back for 2014 and a few candy and flake, and a new fine-metallic Brown. More colors for Big Twins, but the Sportster’s got their issue in 2014 – the problem will be choosing which ones.

Sportster customer’s: I test rode a stock 29-T machine again. First gear is more responsive off-the-line, but 2nd gear, and all the other gears are not as “sling-shot” launching as all the gear-ratio’s within the power band of a 30-T.
    Riding home today necessitated a 70 mph speed in the commuter (diamond) lane. The rubber-mounted motor and 30-T I’m riding, extends the fork tubes when steadily increasing the speed from 60 mph, and feels more like the response of an FX than an XL.

It seems to me now, that the 30-T final drive pulley adds another entire dimension to the 1200 XL – lower rpm at 70 mph and an overall “better ride” than the 29-T.
    A little-bit more attention must be paid to taking-off, but I’ve only stalled the motor once with the 30-T and have clocked 725 miles.

20. 20 Kirk Perry Jul 17th, 2013 at 4:05 pm

~ How much return can a person receive from a 15K Investment? ~

• A person could invest 15K in a Fiat and probably drive it off the dock… I mean lot. 🙂
    • A person could invest 15K in a money market account (where many people can absorb market losses. Chances are, you’d end up with 17-18K in (5-7 yrs.) but no real fun from it. 🙁
    • Or squander it on good timin’.
    • Or, for 15K, buy one (or two, or let’s face it, you really need three) Sportster 1200cp’s set up the way you want, in the colors you want to look at for a long time, with the gearing you want, and the full cover, service manual, transferable 5-yr. tow-warranty, low maintenance aspect (every 5k miles), quiet and obedient “investment” under wraps, that you just might have fun on with friends before it’s too late to even ride?
    If you take care of it like an investment, or worse does happens, then the right colors and chrome will re-sell for near-to what you paid for it. Can Wall St. deliver that?

21. 21 Chris Jul 18th, 2013 at 2:03 pm

@Kirk, What do any of your three postings have to do with this story? Save it for the proper forum please.

22. 22 Kirk Perry Jul 18th, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Chris – I have my own “in-depth participant level” column going here. 🙂

Industry News! is at best, boring as statistics.
    I’m here to hack-a-path for customers to follow or not…. but I’m spending money as I go..and I’m taking notes and posting them here.

Thanks how it is now. 🙂 I
    I could never get away without bantering comment on any other site. Everything I write doesn’t get posted. What does, is meant to stick though. I do my research first.

23. 23 Kirk Perry Jul 19th, 2013 at 11:16 am