clocktickingIn 3 weeks, on August 3rd, the All-New Indian Chief will be unveiled in Sturgis. Before this eagerly anticipated motorcycle event, I summarized a few essential facts you should know.

Orders. Officially, Indian dealers will take orders just after Sturgis or in September although we know that some dealers have already taken many deposits for upcoming official orders.

Manufacturing. Manufacturing will start this coming September with first deliveries to dealers starting, except last minute production issue, sometime during the 3rd quarter of 2013. Both Indian and Victory share the same facilities in Wisconsin for engines manufacturing and in Iowa for assembly, but production are on separate lines with different teams with absolutely no interference between them. At beginning of manufacturing, on a single line, Indian will be able to produce at least 100 motorcycles a day. Shifts can be be multiplied and other production lines can be added on very short notice. All necessary future Indian plants will remain in the US.

Distribution. Indian Motorcycle will have about 150 dealers in the US at the end of 2013, about 60 abroad (Europe, Asia, Australia & New Zealand) with more being added every month. Polaris believes that Victory and Indian are complementary brands having appeal for 2 very different types of bikers. Those taking pride in owning a motorcycle with heritage, looking for performance with traditional overtone will buy Indian. Those looking for modern performance and handling going for a Victory model. Consequently, Polaris believes that both brands can co-exist at the same dealership. Polaris has no issue with a dealer selling both Harley-Davidson and Indian brands. As a matter of fact, at launch, at least 7 dealers will carry both Harley-Davidson and Indian, but as far as I know, on different showroom floors. As I mentioned before, Indian Motorcycle intends to immediately pursue an aggressive expansion strategy abroad.

IndianLogoFuture. First model is an all-new V-Twin Indian Chief, but for the future Indian doesn’t exclude an overhead cam, an Indian Four, a Scout or any other platforms, keeping with Indian’s past tradition of innovation. Very successful racing is a big part of Indian’s heritage and the new Indian Motorcycle company will be back at it, but not immediately, for now all efforts being focused on the successful launch of the all-new Indian Chief.

Indian Chief Evaluation. I will road-test during several days the all-new Indian Chief while in Sturgis and will report on my first impressions as soon as possible. Are you going to Sturgis? Below, I remind you the full program of festivities and when & where you can demo-ride the new Indian Chief by Polaris.

Indian At The Sturgis Bike Rally. August 3rd-10th, 2013

Join Indian Motorcycle® at the 2013 Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally for the historic unveiling of the all-new 2014 Indian® Chief®. Motorcycle riders and enthusiasts can attend the public reveal on Saturday, August 3, visit the Indian Motorcycle® display on Lazelle Street, be one of the first to ride the new motorcycle, and participate in Indian Motorcycle® Night at the Sturgis Buffalo Chip® on Friday, August 9.

Indian Chief Reveal Party. Saturday, August 3, 8pm. 999 Main Street, Sturgis® Motorcycle Museum & Hall of Fame

You’re invited to attend the free, public unveiling of the all-new 2014 Indian® Chief®. This historic event features live music, a celebrity appearance from Mike Wolfe, American picker. Interviews with Indian Motorcycle team members, an audio/ video tribute to Indian Motorcycle’s history and more.

Indian Motorcycle Display. 2nd & Lazelle St. Saturday, August 3 – Saturday, August 10 from 9am – 6pm

Visit the Indian Motorcycle® display in Downtown Sturgis and find product demonstrations, display bikes, apparel sales and accessory displays. The exhibit will also feature an array of heritage Indian motorcycles including a vintage Indian® Chief®, the world famous, “Munro Special,” and the recently unveiled tribute “Spirit of Munro” custom streamliner, together for the first time. Mike Wolfe, American picker, will sign autographs at the Indian Motorcycle® display on 2nd and Lazelle St. on Saturday, August 3rd from 2-4pm.

Indian Motorcycle Demo Experience. I-90 and Exit 30. Sunday, August 4 – Saturday, August 10 from 9am – 6pm

Be one of the first to ride the all-new 2014 Indian® Chief® at the Indian Motorcycle® Demo Experience. Rides led daily, with the first ride leaving at 9:15am, last ride at 5:30pm. Riders must be 18 years of age, provide proof of endorsement along with a helmet and appropriate riding attire to demo.

Indian Motorcycle Night at the Sturgis Buffalo Chip®. Sturgis Buffalo Chip® Campgrounds, 20622 131st Avenue. Friday, August 9, 7pm

26 Responses to “All-New Indian Chief Launch. The Clock Is Ticking. What You Need To Know Before The Reveal In Sturgis.”

1. 1 Charles Greenwood Jul 12th, 2013 at 8:21 am

Thanks for making things clear.

2. 2 Gary Jul 12th, 2013 at 8:40 am

Can’t wait…

3. 3 Matt W. Jul 12th, 2013 at 8:54 am

Very informative. Thanks Cyril.

4. 4 Sharkey Jul 12th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Wish I could be there; this promises to be one of the more interesting Sturgis gatherings in a while
    Best of luck to Polaris…

5. 5 P. Hamilton Jul 12th, 2013 at 9:40 am

Great job Cyril at keeping us correctly informed. Now, we all hold our breath.

6. 6 Rodent Jul 12th, 2013 at 9:46 am

Looks like Indian got Sturgis and Harley has Labor Day

7. 7 Kirk Perry Jul 12th, 2013 at 10:38 am

Where you can buy that Indian shop clock?

8. 8 Krossfire Jul 12th, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Yes Indian is going to be expanding thier dealer network abroad (Europe, Asia, Australia & New Zealand), but there has been no mention of Canada, There are a lot of riders in Canada, myself being one that are very interested in owning one of these new Chiefs, I have sent several emails to Indian, but cannot get any comment on dealer netwok expansion in canada, we presently have only a handfull of dealers in canada, and nothing east of Toronto. There are some Victory dealerships, so hopefully they will become shared dealerships Victory / Indian.

9. 9 lynn farris Jul 12th, 2013 at 5:11 pm

great!! keep me posted. I ‘m interested in purchasing one!

10. 10 Iron Horse Jul 12th, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Like most, I’m anxiously awaiting the release of the new Chief.

I’m also glad the hear that they are keeping their options open for ‘possibly’ having a Scout and an Indian Four, as well as exploring an over-head cam model. Innovation is something the old Indian could have used instead of clinging to the side valve motor technology, when the rest of the industry was kicking their butts with over head valve engines.

Here’s hoping for the best from Indian!

11. 11 666 Jul 12th, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Sturgis must LOVE Indian… Every 4-5 years they get the big hype show of the New Chief from the NEW Indian !! What is this now time number FOUR GEEZZZZZ

12. 12 Seymour Jul 12th, 2013 at 11:39 pm

LOL @ Canada

13. 13 Jezza Jul 13th, 2013 at 12:50 am

Maybe the fact that the brand has been relaunched 4 times is proof of the enduring appeal of the brand. You can’t keep a good thing down. This will create jobs as well as give a shot of energy into the cruiser market. What’s not to like?

14. 14 James another crazy Kiwi Jul 13th, 2013 at 2:28 am

All you can do is sit and watch,
    Polaris is a huge corporate bigger than Harley I think, and are doing what it takes to make money like all corporates.Tugging on heart strings and old history,using the Burt Munro following.What next ?.
    I personaly hope they do well as it adds a bit of spice to what is going on it the motorcycle market., I just wish they would stop with the negative advertising.Telling me because I own Harleys It is just a hobby for me and not a lifestyle.That is dum business and shows imaturity
    That type of advertising does not really wash outside of the USA.
    I mean as in the old Common wealth countries.Promote yourself,do not dish others unless your afraid of losing on your own merits of course ???

Went to see the Lone Ranger the other night…now theres a great Indian…go Johny Depp

15. 15 Doc Robinson Jul 13th, 2013 at 8:13 am

This folks, is only the start of something that is going to be huge! Polaris are doing it right at each and every step of the way – maybe except the negative advertising putting down Harley-Davidson riders. But I have every confidence that the new Indians will sell well all over the world, and to a lot of Harley riders also. I would love (sight unseen) to have a new Indian in my garage, but not replacing one of my Harleys, rather sitting parked next to one. 🙂

16. 16 Highrider Jul 13th, 2013 at 8:20 am

Too bad they played the Lone Ranger as a ” Wimp ” for 95% of the movie, I mean I was cringing during the whole movie as to how this character was so backboneless and flakey.

Sorry this was about Indian, Tonto was good!!! LOL

17. 17 Cris Sommer Simmons Jul 13th, 2013 at 10:38 am

As a long time Harley rider, the negative advertising has been a real turn off. If their product is as good as they say they don’t need to go there.

18. 18 Blackmax Jul 13th, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Again Thank Cyril for keeping us in the loop
    I agree this is going to be HUGE & the motorcycle world will not be the same after Sturgis/August.
    Or should I say the Motor Company market share will NOT be the same after the introduction with BOTH Indian & Victory nibbling at the pot…..
    I can’t wait ! This is going to be SO much fun to watch !!!!!

19. 19 Rico 3 Jul 13th, 2013 at 7:14 pm

CH = Best insider.

20. 20 McGillicutty Jul 13th, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Thanks for the updates Cyril. You’ve been a great source for info on the new Indian.

21. 21 HarleyNot Jul 14th, 2013 at 8:29 am

Blah Blah Black Sheep………Keep It Up Indian Motorcycle of Spirit Lake. We got your back!

22. 22 RAlan Jul 15th, 2013 at 8:32 am

When you order a new Indian, do you get to see what you are ordering? I’ve never bought something I’ve not researched first. Maybe this is a dumb question, but It would be hard to part with 20 plus grand sight unseen. Or is this strictly an ego buy? Thanks Cyril.

23. 23 X H-D Rider Jul 15th, 2013 at 11:24 am

I believe this will be the only place where we can get a true evaluation on the Indian.
    Most if not all never tell the truth about the bike.
    H-D riders will never try the bike cause there afraid they will find out what they ride is not that great. I know none of my Harley friends will ride my Vision cause they don’t want to know how good it is.

24. 24 Lyle Landstrom Jul 15th, 2013 at 12:44 pm

As an owner of several newer HD’s and vintage Indians, I am very interested in what Polairis’s new Indian looks and rides like. I’m also a potential customer.I’ve ridden their Victorys and although I don’t own one, I am impressed. At my age, I’m not hung up on what brand of bike I ride.

25. 25 cbarter Jul 15th, 2013 at 5:19 pm

IMHO I still think that when potential ex Harley riders actually get to see the bike with it’s awkwardly placed oil cooler at Sturgis some will change their minds about wanting it.
    So far Indian appears to have gone out of their way to play that aspect down. I think its only been spotted in one brief glimpse in one of their engine spots.
    I’m just not into radiators on classic designs. Whether it is integral or can be removed will make a big difference to me. I don’t drive in parades, or pirate groups, heavy traffic or in hot country. Radiators belong on cars, not classic styled motorcycles. YMMV.
    I hope Indian will make an air cooled Sportster competitor at a Sportster price.

26. 26 INDIAN MOTORCYCLE FOR LIFE Jul 15th, 2013 at 8:10 pm