Keeping The American Spirit Alive Restoring Vintage Motorcycles

A new TV reality show about motorcycles is running on the Discovery Channel. “Philly Throttle” is featuring Adam Cramer and his motley mechanics restoring, repairing and flipping old bikes in his shop Liberty Vintage Cycles in the rough neighborhood of Fishtown/Philadelphia, PA. As for the message he hopes people take from the show, he says, “Don’t live to work — that’s never going to work for you.  Follow what makes you happy.  And ultimately if you’re true to it, you will become a success.” But in this video, he worries that the American Spirit has been lost. The show runs On Fridays at 10 p.m. ET with some re-runs during the week, usually on Tuesdays at 4 p.m. ET.

15 Responses to “Keeping The American Spirit Alive Restoring Vintage Motorcycles”

1. 1 CafeSportyTC Jul 18th, 2013 at 10:19 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one who worries about our countries future like this. I feel a lot like this guy, and I hope my son shows interest in motors/bikes/cars cause i would love to teach him. very cool love the video

2. 2 Rodent Jul 18th, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Restorers were doing their thing way before Discovery Channel” discovered”them

3. 3 richard Jul 18th, 2013 at 12:46 pm

This guy has discovered something that most of us will never “get”. He “has no money” but he is in my eyes a wealthy man. He is doing what he wants to do and is happy doing so. Good for him.

4. 4 58_pan Jul 18th, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I agree with him to a certain point but on the other hand the innovators of today’s America are the likes of Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook) and other IT geniuses, look at what’s still going on in the Silicon Valley. The question is will they create enough jobs to sustain our economy?

5. 5 Fritz Jul 18th, 2013 at 12:55 pm

A smart guy with good insight into what is going on.

6. 6 Terence Tory Jul 19th, 2013 at 1:50 am

58_pan.You have got it the wrong way around.The economy needs to be sustained to enable many jobs at all.The days of of prosperity relying on industry are over.Capital speeds around the world in milliseconds making more profit than anything material ever will again.We are surrounded now by empires of ideas and minds,that old industries don’t really have a foot in.

7. 7 baggerdude Jul 19th, 2013 at 6:54 am

Needs to see dentist and the going broke theme is B/S with all the bikes seen in background and helicopter hanging from ceiling. The restore on the 1931 Matchless was nore pure B/S… finding parts for that bike in three days and wanting the viewers to believe it was an insult to any old bikers intelligence. Another OCC show!

8. 8 Terence Tory Jul 19th, 2013 at 8:19 am

baggerdude.I think I agree with you.It’s cool to watch,but this self pitying,lamentation on the fact it’s not 1974 anymore is a bit pathetic,such a product of a writers imagination this act is.The constant bikers gaze away from the camera and having a cigarette always in his maw,hand or in the shot is such an obvious cinematic construct to compensate for lack of a deep narrative.The guy may well be real but the writing is just so transparent.Any guy that has a business,dozens of bikes and a mob of mechanics he has to pay might not be Trump,but he sure ain’t broke.The “some bikes I’ll never ever sell” stuff is all a bit “Mother Teresa of Honda Bones” to me.

9. 9 Joshua Jul 19th, 2013 at 8:24 am

He was picked because he is a great natural actor.

10. 10 Kirk Perry Jul 19th, 2013 at 9:46 pm

“He was picked because he is a great natural actor.”
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    I agree. And it’s his story. So I think you need to accept it for what it is.
    He says his goal is to put the bike’s in reasonable running condition “of the day”, not off the showroom.
    All the people I know that have a natural space between their front teeth, all have strong personalities. Think about it. So do yours.
    Note: A surfing buddy had the same space. It’s causes by a tendon (whatever) running between the front teeth. A student-dentist cut it for him as a class project in Honolulu. His teeth then grew together. He lost his personality. Keep the space. Stay hungry my friend. 🙂

11. 11 Blackmax Jul 20th, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Enough of the anaylsis ????
    It’s a show about MOTORCYLES that doesn’t feature Jr. or Sr. or J.J.
    Let’s just enjoy it for what it is

12. 12 nicker Jul 21st, 2013 at 10:45 pm

RE:
    “…, he worries that the American Spirit has been lost. ..”

Ya? ….. Well so do many of us.

But, more reality TV shows intended to titillate yet another legion of armchair bikers isn’t gonna reactivate “the American Spirit” any more than OCC did……… 🙁
    What does, though, is people getting off their ass and actually do something.

If your a real scooter jock your heritage is in these old bikes and the only way to get at the real marrow of that heritage is join the AMCA and rub elbows with the folks who eat, breath, live, and love that legacy.

-nicker-

13. 13 Woody's Jul 22nd, 2013 at 8:18 am

Watched the show the other night and it was OK. They seem like a nice enough group, but it wasn’t all that interesting. I don’t know why anyone would really care to watch them at work any more than I’d want to have cameras set up at the local Ford dealer’s garage or follow a plumber’s van around. Just because someone’s working on a bike instead of a busted washing machine doesn’t mean there should be a TV show, course I said the same thing about driving semis on ice, catching crab, ‘gators or whatever, also. I suppose if ratings are low, the producers will have them start screaming at each other, kicking in doors, throwing more shit and being worried on Day 1 that they’re 6 days behind…:)

14. 14 Bill Skoros Jul 22nd, 2013 at 8:53 am

Interesting that it states its on Fridays at 10, but not in my area (NY) and on its website there are no future listings either!

15. 15 McGillicutty Jul 22nd, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Meh! Not to sound contraire but if this grumpy-ass negative dude read Cyril he’d see a lot of young, creative, builders with lots of spirit who produce awesome machines. He just needs to look outside of Fishtown once in awhile.

Crusher