Motorcycle Versus Black Bear

A dog, deer or black bear may decide to run out in front of your motorcycle. Although the bear actually walked away from the crash, the motorcyclist incurred serious but not life-threatening injuries.

6 Responses to “Motorcycle Versus Black Bear”

1. 1 Brian Gore Aug 24th, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I’m seeing a case of “fixation”. The bike doesn’t demonstrate to me any evasive maneuvering though there sure looks to be time for it.

I practice counter steering emergency moves several times a day on a ride, for just such a situation. I “envision” something jumping out, just like that. I pick a spot on the pavement and make the snap move to avoid it.

You have to think about it… BEFORE it happens and get your reaction “trained” into muscle memory, or fixation and collision is likely in those cases where it could have been just a close call.

Anticipate the situation and train yourself to deal with it.

Came around a tight blind right hand sweeper in Poudre canyon in Colorado a few years back at or just above the speed limit. (45mph+-) A herd of BigHorn Sheep was standing in the road. The trouble was A UPS truck was coming the other way on the two lane. I had to swerve wide on the right hander from my tight “inside” line to thread between the oncoming truck and the butt of a 250 lb or so Bighorn standing in my “line”… PRAYING that she didn’t move! 😉 there was only maybe five feet between her butt and the truck… the rest of the lane clear past the shoulder was filled with sheep.

I had to stand it up, pop through the hole right on the center line and then lay it back over hard to stay in the lane to not headon into the car following the UPS truck…

There was not time or space to brake or think. The Point is… the “exercise drills” work! If I’d fixated… KERUNCH!!!

2. 2 baggerdude Aug 25th, 2013 at 10:31 am

Rider fixed on bear and sure enough he hit it!

3. 3 Rob near the YVR Aug 25th, 2013 at 10:56 am

There are many lessons to be learned from this self incriminating video.
    M/C skills are not one of them.
    One can practice all they want, but with the law of diminishing averages it is only a matter of time….
    Ride and Be safe out there.
    Rob from the YVR.

4. 4 Martin Twofeather Aug 25th, 2013 at 3:16 pm

It is called culling out the herd………..

5. 5 nicker Aug 26th, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Looked to me like the the front wheel locked up well before there was any contact with the bear.
    Plenty of time to slow down and plenty of room to steer behind a bear moving away from ya at a good clip.

RE:
    “…Rider fixed on bear …”

this is no “rider”…. this is just another M/C “driver.”
    There is a difference.

-nicker-

6. 6 bart Aug 27th, 2013 at 12:46 am

Anyone who kills major wildlife while motoring should be hit with a sizeable fine and lose points. See how fast that slows down. My feeling is, if you hit an animal you were not driving with due care and control.
    You’re responsible.