Harley-Davidson 110Th Anniversary. What The Top Executives Are Saying.

110Bikers sharing the same passion for the Harley brand came from around the world to Milwaukee for a long weekend of concerts, a parade, and street parties. Harley bikers are not the only ones to be excited. So are all Harley-Davidson top executives. They know that the brand is getting a huge worldwide attention from the media and an incalculable amount of free advertising. So, they multiply the press conferences, showing how confident they are for the brand future. What they said during the weekend.

Mark Hans Richer, Harley-Davidson Chief Marketing Officer. In reference to the new Indian Motorcycle models. ““There’s always been choice and there always will be choice. Riders are choosing Harley-Davidson more and more, but we respect the competition…”

Matthew Levatich, President and Chief Operating Officer of Harley-Davidson Motor Company, “We have a pipeline full of great products. It’s got 30 percent more products on it than in 2009. And that’s the benefit of getting really disciplined in product development. A pipeline of exciting, on-the-money products is coming. So, stay tuned.”

Keith Wandell, Harley-Davidson President and CEO. “The 2014 product lineup, dubbed Project Rushmore, will push the competition even further back in the rear view mirror. Rushmore leaves the competition in the dust with its upgrades in technology and ride-ability. It was a shock to people that it would be such a big change, yet what we hear from customers is it didn’t go over the line. It didn’t turn into something they didn’t recognize. I have never seen our dealers as excited as they are today after the launch of these products. They believe this company has been transformed for the better.”

Harley-Davidson in July said it expects to ship between 259,000 to 264,000 motorcycles this year, up 4.5% 6.5% percent from a year ago. Harley worldwide sales were 249,800 in 2012, 235,200 in 2011, 222,100 in 2010 and 242,600 in 2009. Revenue and profit for 1semester 2013 up as well this year from the same period in 2012.

10 Responses to “Harley-Davidson 110Th Anniversary. What The Top Executives Are Saying.”

1. 1 BobS Sep 1st, 2013 at 8:39 am

A sincere happy birthday to the MoCo. But executivese is as bad or worse than politicianese. I’d rather here how happy the line workers are after getting their bonuses for putting the other’s plans into actions. Oh wait, no love for the wrench turners? Typical.

2. 2 Shifter Sep 1st, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Confidence or arrogance?

3. 3 Toby Sep 1st, 2013 at 2:44 pm

There is nothing in these new models that is innovative. Change is not innovation (except maybe at Harley). The only items that might be considered revolutionary for HD are the liquid cooling and maybe the interlinked brakes. Everything else are just evolutionary, and quite subtle, style changes. Just they way it should be at HD.

Personally, I like the new bags and fairing setup. I can take or leave the “infotainment” system, but that has always been available with the add-on GPS system, and upgraded amplifiers/speakers, not to mention after-market parts. If it hadn’t been for the liquid cooling and interlinked brakes about the only thing we would be arguing about is the style of the new sheet metal (plastic).

4. 4 tim himes Sep 2nd, 2013 at 7:07 am

being a late bloomer. and also from wauwatosa now eresiding in hickory nc. during an illness and recovery i stated to watch the reality bike shows. then i rersearched every make out there including customs. with a limited budget and a strong desire to complete my quest. harley davidson and scott fisher harley group at blue ridge harley i was able to buy a 1999 flstc. i ride everyday. those of you that do not understand marketing , and the basic mind set of handling a brand name. i worked as my father before me i sold for maytag. it takes dedication and as my father always said it’s not the exec’s but the guys and gals that do all the tasks they have professionaly. the difference is contrary what anyone says harley is doing a lot of things right. hats off and see you next summer.sincerely tim himes

5. 5 richard Sep 2nd, 2013 at 11:12 am

Just got back from Milwaukee. Great party! Liked most of the new bikes…not crazy over the CVO’s…too “busy” and a bit overdone and priced for me. The rest of the changes did not “put me off” in the least. HD is very good at steady improvement without screwing up the traditional styling that their customers expect.

Mark Hans Richer, Harley-Davidson Chief Marketing Officer said. ” In reference to the new Indian Motorcycle models. There’s always been choice and there always will be choice. Riders are choosing Harley-Davidson more and more, but we respect the competition…” I don’t see anything that would prompt the question “confident or arrogant” as one poster asked. Sounded professional and polite to me…

6. 6 Woody's Sep 2nd, 2013 at 4:48 pm

7. 7 BobS Sep 2nd, 2013 at 5:10 pm

For arrogant confidence see Wandell’s quote. Hans Richer and Levatich were fine.

8. 8 BigWave916 Sep 3rd, 2013 at 8:18 am

“I have never seen our dealers as excited as they are today after the launch of these products. They believe this company has been transformed for the better.”

I expect the response from dealers would be a little more subdued without H-D senior management present. Besides, isn’t Mr Wandell just now finishing his 3rd or 4th year at the helm? “Never” seems like a long time, but 3 or 4 years, not so much so.

9. 9 Blackmax Sep 3rd, 2013 at 6:09 pm

When your the biggest kid on the block you’ve got nothing to worry about .
    Until the kids in the neighborhood start growing themselves & somenody decides
    they are not going to take it anymore.
    Confidence is good, Arrogance, well we’ll see what’s what in 5 yrs
    Wandell, Enjoy it while you can…..

10. 10 Gary Bang Sep 3rd, 2013 at 6:37 pm

The Big guys from Harley-Davidson sure sounded good to me, and they are right on. I did not think that the new sound system and big screen would be a big deal. It is a big deal and very easy to use, does every one need one maybe not, but for those who like them they are very good.

I just test rode the new Limited and the new fairing is super. The new bags are very nice and a large improvement. I have test rode “almost all” the new models and I can not find anything wrong with any of them. I almost forgot on the way to the gas station to fill up the limited for a test ride it gave me directions for 3-Gas stations and if I selected one the map would come up and start talking to me on how to get their. Now how can that be anything but a Good Deal.

Harley-Davidson has earned their 110-year’s. Thanks Gary Bang