1000 Biker Tattoos

1000tattoos11000Tattoos21000tattoos3Since I publish this news website – already 7 years – I must have written a dozen of book reviews regarding the art of tattoos. So, why one more? Not because it was released just a few days ago, but because as far as I know, it’s the only one specifically and exclusively dedicated to the tattoos of bikers.

Because they have long been an integral part of the motorcycle culture, biker tattoos are of a variety of themes and graphics that can’t be found in other groups, even among soldiers and sailors, although many are bikers.

It took Sara Liberte years of traveling to motorcycle events to shoot the 1000 + best pieces of art that bikers have inked on their bodies. Images showing how bikers feel about themselves and others, marking their rites of passage, showing symbols of spiritual and religious devotion, inking their successes and failures, making pledges of love, of rebellion, of punishment, showing amulets and talismans, symbolizing their identification to a particular group or club, etc.

In addition, for each image of tattoo work selected to illustrate the wild abandon of the motorcycle lifestyle to this art form, Sara Liberte wrote a short story about the biker and the motivation behind inking his or her skin. As a bonus, many readers will enjoy seeing more than skin, the motorcycles they ride, because what they ink and ride are of course who they are. Inspirational to choose your next tattoo, this 320-page color book also includes profiles of the most renowned tattoo artists in the biker community. $22.00. Order on Amazon at 1000 Biker Tattoos.

14 Responses to “1000 Biker Tattoos”

1. 1 Doc Robinson Nov 7th, 2013 at 4:21 pm

This is a great book which approaches the subject from a number of different angles. Of course it is helped in its presentation by Sara’s high level of photographic skills. It’s great value and should be on the shelf of every tattoo aficionado, anyone thinking of getting a tattoo and anyone even just a bit interested in the psychology behind bikers getting tattoos. It’s a big book at a small book price, Highly recommended!

2. 2 Greg Nowling Nov 8th, 2013 at 9:03 am

Just because you own a motorcycle and have a tattoo, does not make you a ” Biker”.

3. 3 Chris Nov 8th, 2013 at 9:34 am

I went to school with a bonehead who unwittingly got the HA’s Death Head tattooed across his chest. I often wonder if his pectoral muscles are still attached to his body.

4. 4 ROGUE Nov 8th, 2013 at 11:30 am

1000 BIKER TATTOOS By Sara Liberte

I am in the process of reading this book. As I suspected because it was done by Sara it would be a class publication and it is.
    She is a real good photographer and has been around BIKERS and Tattooed People for a long time. Her past work shows that.
    I may be a little prejudice because I know her, but if that is prejudice it comes from viewing her work in a field I am also involved in and as one professional who recognizes another. When your pear group says you are good I think it means more than just the average person saying so. Most people not involved in Photo- Journalism have no idea what is really involved. Much like someone who changes oil and sparkplugs on their motorcycle thinks they are a technician.
    When one actually gets to read the Introduction it explains many things. You will have to read it for yourself to understand. Oh Yes she does explain what a BIKER is and I suspect some who are not but refer to themselves as such might not like that.
    There are explanations of where tattoos came from and how it has grown through the year and eventually involving motorcycle riders and the Biker Lifestyle. Some chapters deal with Motorcycle Tattoos, Brand Loyalty, Motorcycle Phrases etc.
    I would suggest You Actually Read This Book Before You Comment On It.

5. 5 burnout Nov 8th, 2013 at 11:51 am

Sara is a super photographer. I think it’s cool that she shows other artists work in this way. peace

6. 6 Cris Sommer Simmons Nov 9th, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Can’t wait to get my hands on a copy. Sara will do a great job, I’m sure.

7. 7 Eric Maurer Nov 11th, 2013 at 9:42 pm

simply a great book, and I hate to read!
    I read cover to cover the day it arrived.
    Here’s hoping for a sequel.

8. 8 Roadside Marty Nov 11th, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I couldn’t have said it any better than Rogue..I wish Sara nothing but continued success in anything she takes on!!!

9. 9 Terence Tory Nov 12th, 2013 at 7:15 am

I say draw your own,as I do.Picking cartoons for your lifestyle from a searskin and mo’black catalog isn’t my way.How can you be “who you are” with an inky effort copied from another “who”.

Never get a tatt that you can’t hide from a judge with a standard white shirt.

On balance I’d say buy it.Picture books are neat.

10. 10 Sara Liberte Nov 12th, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Humbled. An amazing project to work on. And so much more to tell. Much respect to all for giving it a read. Many hours poured in out of genuine passion And kudos to Chad Lemme who guest authored with me.

11. 11 Jay Nov 12th, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Great book!!! REALLY fun and done so incredibely well!! the pix are awesome and the read is a blast!!! do your self a favor and grab a copy – would be an awesome holiday gift too!!

12. 12 Mailman Nov 13th, 2013 at 12:12 am

When I first heard Sara was doing a book on tattoos I was excited because I am familiar with her photography work and editing skills. I preordered it and waited months for its release. When it finally arrived I was taken aback by the quality and passion she put into this project. If you are a tattoo enthusiast do yourself a favor and check this book out, you won’t be disappointed.

13. 13 Blackmax Nov 13th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I been lucky enough to meet & work with Sara
    Anything she is involved in, is deserving of a look at, AND buying
    I will get my copy soon

14. 14 sara Liberte Nov 16th, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Thank you all so much for the positive comments on this work. Really was heart and soul poured into it. Couldn’t have been done without people like Chad Lemme, Darren McKeag, Paul Wideman, GTP, Richie Pan, Robert Pradke, Willie Jones, Teach, Kai Morrison, Jason Kangas, and oh so many others…. Grab a copy and check’em all out, very cool stories

Crusher