New Harley_Davidson High Output Charging System Delivers 30% Power Increase

High-Output-Charging-SystemDesigned and thoroughly tested on Harley-Davidson® motorcycles, this High Output Charging System is engineered to provide the generous battery charging performance required by a motorcycle loaded with powered accessories like heated seats and grips, decorative lighting and high-output audio systems.

Harley-Davidson claims a 30% power increase (6 additional amps) than the stock charging system at 1000 RPM. Peak output is 54 amps at 4000 RPM, compared to 49 amps for the stock charging system.

The high output system (P/N 29900028, $489.95) will operate at peak performance even at idle speeds, and long-term battery life is improved because the battery is protected from deep discharge and partial charging. This complete kit includes a high-performance rotor, stator, voltage regulator and all gaskets and hardware required for installation. It fits 2011-later Touring, 2010-later CVO™ Touring and 2009-later Trike models. Prevent a motorcycle power outage with the new High Output Charging System from Harley-Davidson® Genuine Motor Parts and Accessories. More info at Harley-Davidson’s website

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

24 Responses to “New Harley_Davidson High Output Charging System Delivers 30% Power Increase”

1. 1 Blackmax Dec 14th, 2013 at 11:46 am

Again I ask the question
    (& Yes, I already know the answer also, To sell more chit & make more $$$)
    Why in the world would you create a bike that DID NOT have this equipment STANDARD ???
    If it’s so much better than the stock system you put on the bike normally ????
    Like so many others on this blog,
    Why am I spending premium $$$ for a top of the line cycle from the #1 manufactuer of
    heavy motorcycles, in the world, just to spend MORE $$$ to get it to run right ????
    Tradition ??? No Thanks, you can keep it & the bike
    I can onky hope “the Street”models are made better

2. 2 Mike Dec 14th, 2013 at 12:08 pm

My question is: Why not just put on the “better” charging system in the bikes to begin with? Please don’t tell me that $20-25K for a new bike does not give Harley enough of a profit margin!

3. 3 James just another Crazy Kiwi Dec 14th, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I agree with M&M
    I always have heated grips…I’m near the South Pole…..and I’m a woose

Never had a problem with the standard charging system though went through several sets of heated grips as the exported all the dodgy ones to Aus which supplies NZ…long story

My HD Dealer looked after me very well…thankfully
    The Factory was not very interested.

4. 4 Rodent Dec 14th, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Quite your bitching. We all know on the 8th day God created Harley Davidson. But, Some of us don’t believe in God.

5. 5 Terence Tory Dec 14th, 2013 at 3:51 pm

An M/C electrical pro that I’ve known personally for over thirty years said the modern H-D charging system pumps out enough amps to start a V-8 car and will keep the battery at optimum volts idling all day long.I think the Harley “upgrade circus” has gone on for about long enough.It seems to me that you buy the bike and then spend about another 1/2 on it to make it how it should have been the day it left the factory.I doubt when you buy a new Indian or a GoldWing you need to buy it “twice”.

6. 6 Doc Robinson Dec 14th, 2013 at 7:12 pm

The H-D charging system will pump out sufficient amps for a stock bike. But many bikes have loads of extra lighting, hugely upgraded sound systems and, along with heated seats and grips, do require a higher output system. The Motor Company does not produce electrical and mechanical products that are not needed, at least in some circumstances. Witness the recently released SE Manual Primary Chain Tension Adjuster, not needed on stock bikes, but required on high horsepower motors, and where Baker Drivetrain led the way.

7. 7 richard Dec 15th, 2013 at 11:57 am

Doc, WOW! Your statement reflects rational thinking, logic, and a unbiased perspective. Refreshing approach!

8. 8 Terence Tory Dec 15th, 2013 at 12:15 pm

richard,Doc Robinson “unbiased”? He writes for a Harley mag that pushes and paid advertises virtually every imaginable product made for them.It is his income and his stock in trade.His pay check is a big lever in his pocket when it relates to bias.

9. 9 Graeme Dec 15th, 2013 at 4:46 pm

This is rubbish….

If your drawing 40+ amps when your on the run then you have serious problems to begin with. Adding another 6 amps is not going to make any difference at.

The biggest problem is ‘customers’ who do not think about what they are buying nor know chit abut charging systems. In that case they deserve to be ripped off for $500.

10. 10 Blackmax Dec 15th, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Thanks Doc for the rational response & Graeme for the insight
    But H-D DOES sell additonal equipment that will draw power
    just like every other manufactuer does.
    (i.e. passing/fog lamps [old style not LED] upgraded stereo equipment, etc, etc
    not to mention if you buy a fairing equiped with such things)
    Like converting a Fat Boy into a Bagger (I know, but people do it all the time)
    These are things that most will buy to upgrade so again why do I have to spend $$
    for an upgrade to a charging systm that should already come stock
    that would provide all the power I would need.
    And, No, I know the Indian Chieftan or the Gold Wing [& F6B]
    come with more than enough power to run what is already there.
    i don;t think you can add anything to either of those models but the Indian Vintage & base Chief might be a diffrent story

11. 11 rob Dec 15th, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Cycle Electric has been making a quality product for years,it’s what i used when my ’01 FXD crapped out. Still going strong 9 years later.

12. 12 JackS Dec 16th, 2013 at 7:55 am

A STOCK bike with no additional accessories should not draw more power at idle than it produces. According to the HD catalog, “at low RPM, the motorcycle’s charging system delivers the least amount of current, and relies on the battery to make up the difference.” In my opinion, this is a clear reason for making the high output rotor, stator & regulator standard.

13. 13 MC Moose Dec 16th, 2013 at 11:33 am

Here’s an idea: Stop putting a bunch of crap on your bike. Just buy a car!

14. 14 BCinSoCal Dec 17th, 2013 at 1:09 am

MC Moose, right on! If one needs all that crap on their bike they should be “riding” a car.

15. 15 .357 Magnum Dec 17th, 2013 at 2:33 pm

MC Moose and BCinSoCal sound like garage-queen owners. Some of us actually keep riding when the temperature drops below freezing, and heated grips or gear can make the difference between a comfortable ride or frostbite that threatens digits or even life. Quit being such sissy-boys, MC and BC, and you’ll realize there’s ample room for all tastes in motorcycling… and perhaps those with tastes that differ from yours are because we actually do RIDE our bikes.

16. 16 Terence Tory Dec 17th, 2013 at 3:32 pm

.357 Magnum.I’ve heard it all now.Bravely riding in sub-artic conditions,battleing frostbite and death like Frosty the snowman.When it’s that cold F-trucks and fat tattoed women come to the fore.

17. 17 Woody's Dec 18th, 2013 at 10:39 am

Sheesh, if 5 people argue half-truths do we get 2½ times the truth? Many folks ride when it’s in the 30°s-40°s and do so comfortably with heated gear and grips. Many also have driving lights for safety and a decent stereo because it makes them happy. Who the hell has the right to tell them to stop doing that? Getting back on topic, nothing runs best at redline, so having an oversized charging system isn’t a bad idea at all for longevity reasons, no different than not buying a 200 HP truck if you figure you’ll need 195 to do your normal duties. Bikes don’t charge at idle, so having extra capacity when you aren’t at idle is what keeps your battery topped off instead of losing ground. Beyond that, have things gotten so bad that people have nothing better to do than argue that the product shouldn’t be offered because it’s “wrong”? Not like the President is ordering everyone to buy one or face a fine.

18. 18 .357 Magnum Dec 18th, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Terence Tory had never heard of people riding in the cold wintertime before I told him?!?

19. 19 Terence Tory Dec 18th, 2013 at 11:34 pm

.357 Magnum,only the battling frostbite and dicing with death in the crisper section stuff.

20. 20 .357 Magnum Dec 19th, 2013 at 7:54 am

I’m actually not sure which is more pitiful: not having heard of riding in the winter, or not having heard of the natural consequences of prolonged exposure to sub-freezing wind. Were you born yesterday, or something?

21. 21 ROBERT CONLEY Dec 19th, 2013 at 10:36 pm

DEAR BIKER PALS;
    GO OUTSIDE GET ON YOUR BIKE AND RIDE THE FUCKING THING TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF, AND STOP WORRYING ABOUT HORSEPOWER THAT YOU WILL NEVER USE.
    HAPPY MOTORING
    BE SAFE
    BOB CONLEY—RENO, NEVADA
    754-242-4144

22. 22 Blackmax Dec 22nd, 2013 at 6:23 pm

See article on “Lighting Strike” on latest entries on this blog
    Just another reason why you should have a better charging system, stock,
    instead of as an upgrade.
    For an add-on that just might save your rear end …..

To MC Moose and BCinSoCal if I wanted a car, I’d buy a car
    I bought a bike instead & wanted to add some electric stuff for Fun / Pleasure and /or Safety
    that might not have been available on the bike when I bought it

Also agree with Rob that Cycle Electric makes a MUCH better replacement than H-D.
    Had a buddy that his stator went bad on his 2007 softail on the way home from Sturgis
    Took the better part of a day for H-D dealer to replace it
    (No fault to the dealer, he had to search & find the damn part)
    When he got home he replaced it with a Cycle Electric product
    No more problems at all….
    He sold the bike just this year

23. 23 Bob W Mar 22nd, 2014 at 12:38 am

I love my old 94 bagger, I just want my battery to stop going flat every week! Is it too much to ask for a bike that doesn’t need a trickle charger ?

24. 24 Terence Tory Mar 22nd, 2014 at 10:16 am

Bob W,maybe a Yamaha or Victory Gunner cruiser on trickle-easy payments monthly?

Trade In Your iPhone