What Makes A Woman Really Happy? Riding A Motorcycle.

1womenridersA just released Harley-Davidson-sponsored study about women (female motorcycle riders and non-riders) and motorcycles says those who ride are considerably happier, more confident and more fulfilled than those who do not. New Data Reveals female motorcycle riders feel happier, more confident and sexier than Women who don’t ride. Overall in life, in relationships and even in the bedroom…

The study, conducted by Kelton and commissioned by Harley-Davidson, interviewed 1,013 adult female riders and 1,016 adult female non-riders, and the findings make it clear that riding a motorcycle greatly improves a woman’s feelings of overall self-worth. Key insights surrounding women who ride motorcycles in comparison to those who don’t include the following:

2womenridersMore than twice as many always feel happy (37 percent of riders vs. 16 percent of non-riders.) Nearly four times as many always feel sexy (27 percent of riders vs. 7 percent of non-riders.) Nearly twice as many always feel confident (35 percent of riders vs. 18 percent of non-riders.) The key to happiness might be where women least expect, out on the open road, and on two wheels.

Beyond positively impacting a woman’s sense of self, the study also shows riding can improve relationships. When it comes to romance, women who ride leave non-riders in their dust, being more content with: Communication with their significant other (60 percent of riders vs. 38 percent of non-riders) Physical intimacy (51 percent of riders vs. 35 percent of non-riders). Stress can cause tension between significant others, but since more than a third (34 percent) of women riders report that they now feel less stressed after starting to ride, it’s not surprising that 50 percent of them are extremely satisfied with the state of their current relationships.

3womenriders“Riding a motorcycle is the ultimate form of freedom and self-expression, so it makes sense that women riders are happier in life and, in general, feel more fulfilled,” said Claudia Garber, Director of Women’s Outreach for Harley-Davidson. “That’s why learning to ride a motorcycle is the perfect gift you can give yourself and the best resolution to make for a truly life-changing new year.”

A 2012 study by the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) found that women accounted for 12% of U.S. motorcyclists, up from 10.5% in 2009. Of course, strong of its study results, Harley-Davidson encourages women to visit the Women Riders section of the Harley-Davidson website. The site equips women with a number of tools to start their journey toward riding, including testimonials, overviews of motorcycles and gear, and news about special Harley-Davidson Garage Party™ events designed to give women hands-on demos and tips in a comfortable environment.

The site also features information about Harley-Davidson’s Rider’s Edge® New Rider Course, which is offered at select dealerships around the country.  The course features 25 hours of expert guidance in the classroom, as well as the practice range, where you’ll learn everything you need to know to ride with confidence. (photos @ harley-davidson)
4womenriders

Barnett Harley-Davidson

10 Responses to “What Makes A Woman Really Happy? Riding A Motorcycle.”

1. 1 B. Temple Dec 27th, 2013 at 12:49 pm

What makes a woman rider happy? A happy man riding a motorcycle.

2. 2 Mary Kay Dec 27th, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Not to be contentious, but I think that this article puts the cart before the horse, so to speak. As a female rider I think that it’s the other way around – that women who are happier, more confident and more fulfilled are more likely to ride a motorcycle than those who are not. I think that confidence level is the most important contributing factor and I think that’s developed in childhood and adolescence by parents who push their daughters to step outside of their comfort zone to develop new skills and achieve goals that are not always stereotypical female activities. This is a large part of what develops a sense of self confidence and the willingness to hop on a bike and try out that motorcycle and experience the joy of riding.

3. 3 Canajun Dec 27th, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I agree with Mary Kay. In order to prove motorcycling makes women happier, more confident, etc. the study would have to test the same women before and after they begin to ride to determine any changes. Comparing to another, similar, population proves nothing. But if even a faulty study helps get more women riding I’m all for it.

4. 4 James just another Crazy Kiwi Dec 27th, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I probably should not step in the horse shit but…………

Women are in many ways like men, that’s why they call us humans.

Contrary to popular belief, they are not from another planet.

Riding a Motorcycle is the most fun you can have….except for one other thing and I personally need a Women for that one…see how close we can be.

But why should Women not get a buzz from riding Motorcycles ? ? ?

Over bearing patriarchal societal expectations made everyone think that Women should not ride Motorcycles. And that they would not enjoy doing so….sick Bastards

These are tough times, but at least we ( at least some of us ) are more enlightened and things are changing

Women and Motorcycles, my two most cherished things in the same package…..Yes

And just so ya know I’m in the middle of a nasty divorce………….

5. 5 domino Dec 28th, 2013 at 12:17 am

I know other things that make women happy ……..

p.s. The guys always say, “We’re glad when you get in the chase truck and let your Ol Lady ride your bike so we can REALLY ride!!”

Domino Dave

6. 6 Terence Tory Dec 28th, 2013 at 1:01 am

Women riders are always portrayed as “something different” and a separate species,a bit like a dog walking on it’s hind legs.The women I know who ride and race just do it like the guys:and they beat them on the race track on a regular basis too.A rider is just a rider in my book.

7. 7 Rodent Dec 28th, 2013 at 11:49 am

Women drive cars, women fly fighter jets, women fly commercial jets, women are governors, women are senators, women are premiers. So what’s the big deal of women riding motorcycles?

8. 8 sidehacker Dec 29th, 2013 at 10:57 am

I’d say Nichole Cheza looks pretty confident, sexy and happy crossed up slideways at 135 M.P.H. on her XR750!

9. 9 Blackmax Dec 30th, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I’d be very interested to see the study expanded to women who ride as passengers also.
    My “significant other” took the classes, about 5 yrs ago
    & had to take the test 3X to pass, but pass she did !!!
    Being very proud of her I asked her then, “What kind of bike do you want, to start with?”
    She said “I just wanted to pass it, I’m perfectly happy riding behind you ! ”
    No matter how I pressed her she did not want to ride her own bike & still doesn’t to this day.
    To Quote the great Stan (The Man) Lee, “With Great Power comes Great Responsiblity ”
    and you do take a lot on when you straddle thse 2 wheels.
    But she’s happy & that means I’m Happy too !!!!!

10. 10 Sharon Jan 25th, 2014 at 10:29 am

I believe that every woman’s personality, background and circumstances differ so there is no “formula” that causes a woman to choose to ride. Some overcome great difficulties, physical challenges or conquer fear itself by deciding to ride, thus becoming more” happy, fulfilled and self-confident”! It’s those women who inspired me to ride! Before meeting my fiance and riding with him for a year, I never dreamed I’d own and ride a motorcycle! But my decision to learn to ride has changed my life and I’m the better for it!