Cheap Speed Thrills

Exesor1Exesor2Exesor3Exesor4Built in a garage by an Austrian engineer who never did any serious professional custom bike building before, this beautiful 1976 CB250 was bought on eBay for less than $400. Of course, price was justified by its terrible condition. But the result you see proves that with time, patience, method and the desire to learn some fabrication skills, almost anyone who really wants to ride its own custom motorcycle can create one, alone or with a couple of friends helping with a few tasks. Clever ideas just require imagination. Producing yours will almost always involve learning how to fabricate. Being an engineer, Christian was excited at the idea of creating his one-off custom parts and succeeded after learning the basic of CAD (computer-aided design) programs.

Exesor5Because he wanted to create a very light and nimble bike, but still one deserving the classification of “Cafe Racer”, the swingarm was borrowed from a CB400, engine was replaced by a bored out to 390cc CB360 engine running with open velocity stacks. New ignition is from Dyna. Drivetrain uses a race clutch. Throttle is run internally inside the bars. To preserve the vintage appearance, no flashy colors. Just a plain brown paint job, “the new black” of retro custom building. (photography @ David Matl)

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

13 Responses to “Cheap Speed Thrills”

1. 1 Rodent Jan 9th, 2014 at 9:35 am

Nice looking ride!

2. 2 Homer Jan 9th, 2014 at 9:40 am

Nice job ! Most people don’t know what a hoot this little bike is to ride. Don’t knock it till ya try it.

3. 3 Robert Pandya Jan 9th, 2014 at 10:37 am

Cool bike for sure – on the right road that would be a fun blaat!

Robert Pandya
    Motorcycle fan

4. 4 L. Da Vinci Jan 9th, 2014 at 11:11 am

All bikes with Firestone tires are a bad joke and an insult to any real
    motorcyclist.

5. 5 fuji Jan 9th, 2014 at 11:19 am

L. Da Vinci. Cross this blog off your list.. Your interest is elsewhere

6. 6 Terence Tory Jan 9th, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Most Café Racer customs fitted with Firestones have photos done,then they are taken off and real tires fitted later.They are qualifying tires to get over the deadline and into Hipsters dreamy dreams.But is has to be actually ridden first,I guess.

L. Da Vinci seems to have a strange logic stuck in his craw.If somethings not worth blogging up in his opinion,why is it worth blogging back in response?

7. 7 Devil's Plaything Jan 9th, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Get Da Vinci the hell out of here……

8. 8 Fritz Jan 9th, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Very tasteful! No unnecessary parts on that puppy.

9. 9 Steve Carr Jan 9th, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Yes, Everyone listen to Little TT, Cause again, his EXPERT analysis with useless and imaginary information shines bright.

We are all still waiting to see all of those bikes you have built and the location of your shop……Bet we wont ever get to admire all your work will we?

Steve Carr

10. 10 Dave Blevins Jan 9th, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Hee Hee Hee…
    I had a Honda CM 250 when I was 18, (that was in 1983), I enjoyed riding it but never thought of it being fast.

11. 11 Dave Blevins Jan 9th, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Excuse my little trip down memory lane… nice bike Christian.

12. 12 Bob D. Jan 9th, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I love it! Last year I sold a CB250 I’d had for years and now am regretting it. Fun, ultra-forgiving little bike that was at home just about anywhere but the interstate and idiot-proof (idiot here) to ride and maintain. I can only imagine how quick this one is compared to my stock example. Also, as one slowly learning basic shop skills but dreaming of one day doing greater things, this project gives me hope! Really nice job and IMO awesome as a first project.

13. 13 burnout Jan 15th, 2014 at 11:50 pm

I am seeing more and more of these type bikes coming around my shop. This one is beyond cool! peace