Kuryakyn Has A New Chairman And New President

HolgerMohrCompany founder Tom Rudd takes over as Chairman of Küryakyn (MAG Group), while V-Twin industry veteran Holger Mohr (pictured) moves into the President’s position. In his new role, Tom will focus on his primary passion, R&D and bringing creative new products to the powersports industry. This well-deserved appointment comes after nearly 25 years of visionary leadership for the brand. Meanwhile Mohr will become the second President in Küryakyn history.

“This move will free Tom up to focus on the next generation of products and emerging market trends for Küryakyn and other MAG brands,” says Brian Etter, MAG’s President & CEO. “Tom started Drag Specialties back in 1968 as a small parts and accessories store in Minneapolis. Over the next 20 years, Drag Specialties grew to become the largest motorcycle parts and accessories business in the country.” In 1987, Tom sold the company and later founded Küryakyn.

Holger has been a leader in the motorcycle aftermarket parts industry for more than 15 years, which included being the President and CEO of Custom Chrome, Inc. He joined MAG in May 2012 as VP of Business Development and was directly responsible for several key MAG brands, including Mustang Seats, Roland Sands Design and MAG International.

“Holger’s experience and passion for our motorcycle industry makes him an excellent addition to the Küryakyn family,” states says Brian Etter, MAG’s President & CEO. Effective January 6, 2014, Mohr took over daily operations at Küryakyn.

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

16 Responses to “Kuryakyn Has A New Chairman And New President”

1. 1 Lonny Spiva Jan 9th, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Congratulations Holger !! Looks like a Good fit. See you on the Road

2. 2 Drake Jan 9th, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Looks to me like Kuryakyn has a big products/image problem with garage and pro builders. But are they their clientele?

3. 3 LoneRider Jan 9th, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Kuryakyn has needed a new image/direction for a while now. Too much bolt-on junky plated plastic stuff NO ONE wants! This might be a good turn for them we shall see what influence he has or gets.

4. 4 Steve Carr Jan 9th, 2014 at 10:37 pm

From my experience recently with Drag Specialties, it seems that the company doesn’t seem to want to work with small V-Twin oriented shops in small towns like mine. My wife and I were treated like we were complete nothing’s and not worthy of a Drag Specialties Dealership.

We don’t treat our customers like we have been treated, if we did we wouldn’t be buying all of our products our customers buy from vendors other than Drag Specialties.

Good luck to Drag Specialties with their current business practices. If they don’t want my business, that’s fine, we are doing really good without them. Don’t need em’.

Steve Carr

PS

Do Not have a sales rep or any other person from Drag contact me. You won’t be happy if you do.

5. 5 Andy Lund Jan 10th, 2014 at 7:57 am

Welcome to Wisconsin Holger! You were just in time for the coolest temps we have seen in 20 years. Hope to see you on the road come spring.

6. 6 LenNY Sinnet Jan 10th, 2014 at 9:39 am

Congratulations Holger and Tom two greats in the industry
    and a great company.
    LenNY
    Barnett’s Las Cruces Harley-Davidson

7. 7 Shanedrive Jan 10th, 2014 at 10:02 am

@Drake: We are precisely what you say, a garage/builder (of drive trains more than anything) and general service for HD and HD clones. We used to have a direct account w/Kury but they were always trying to blackmail our lil’ mom/pop shop w/ “you need to purchase “X” amount and display “this” amount to keep account active”. That account may or may not be dead—-don’t really care either. Kury can K-M-A. They continued this crap right through the recession. Fine time to be jerks when toys (bikes) went onto everyone’s back burner.

Almost everything Kury sells/pushes etc. is imported and generally pretty dang cheesy product. I did/do like some of their cam profiles and other drive train/engine products.(very few in comparison to their image/look at me products) Doubt cams ‘n such are imported.

Frankly, if a customer wants Kury product, I’ll get it for them via Drags or wherever. Or the customer can by direct from Kury (another knife in the back to the “little guy”).

8. 8 Dylan H. Jan 10th, 2014 at 10:21 am

Tom Rudd is one of the nicest most personable guys you could ever meet.

9. 9 X H-D Rider Jan 10th, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Tom R is one of the few that has started from a wood floor store and grown to a great business man. Tom always has time to hear from us normal guys. I hope he develops more Victory parts.

By the way Steve Carr Tom Rudd sold Drag Specialties twenty some years ago and has nothing to do with the way Drag does business. Yes your right Drag is loosing it but the Fred doesn’t run the company any more.

10. 10 motoguru Jan 10th, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Steve, I think you missed the point here….

11. 11 1550TC Jan 10th, 2014 at 4:24 pm

PS

They probably have you on their ” Preferred VIP Customer” list ……..THEY PREFER NOT TO DEAL WITH YOU!!!!

12. 12 Dave Blevins Jan 10th, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I have always appreciated the quality of Kuryakyn products, fit & finish, (although not all their stuff suits my taste), I hope they continue to do well.
    Side note:
    @ Steve Carr, I stopped dealing Drag Specialties a few years ago also, I just can’t deal with them. I source Metzler Tires and Kuryakyn stuff elsewhere when a customer wants them.

13. 13 Wolf Jan 10th, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Wow! That’s big shoes to fill.
    I’ve known Holger for many years – all the way back when he started his career in Europe.
    He definitely has the experience, vision and passion to do the job. God speed!

14. 14 Steve Carr Jan 10th, 2014 at 10:35 pm

It’s not very smart business practice to exclude avenues that can sell products for your company.
    I am well aware of the subject matter of this post.

By voicing my experience with Drag, maybe someone else can see how pompous these people are.

We did nothing but call and ask to become a Drag Dealer, that’s it. Getting treated like a red headed step child is not the way to gain respect from potential dealers.

Not one of the suppliers we use treated us this way, and we have all of them except Drag and CCI.

Steve Carr

15. 15 Mike N. Jan 13th, 2014 at 11:56 am

All I can say is Kuryakyn is better to deal with than ever before and I hope that does not change. The only thing I know about Holger is that he was at the helm of CCI part of their big slide from #1 to distant 3rd or 4th in the industry. Also I am a small shop in a small town and Drag has been beyond great ( I guess it depends on your rep).

16. 16 Steve R Jan 13th, 2014 at 4:50 pm

You got the facts wrong Mike N. Holger was the one who started CCI Europe and made it the leader over there. He took over at CCI after they went bankrupt and got them back on track. Not sure how they are doing now (I am not a dealer anymore) but from what I know he did very good and left a few years ago. Kuryakyn is a great company with a strange name. I am sure they will continue to do good.

Indian Motorcycle