Indian-Motorcycle-Lifestyle-1840-Chief-4Indian Motorcycle, America’s first motorcycle company announced its event calendar for Indian Motorcycle owners at Daytona Bike Week 2014, which takes place March 8-15 in Daytona Beach, Florida. Owners of models past and present – from 1901 to the all-new 2014 Indian Chiefs – are invited to join Indian Motorcycle in a series of special activities, and receive VIP treatment throughout the week.

Indian Motorcycle Daytona Beach Kick-start Part. Saturday March 8 – 7:30 p.m. Owner Registration; 7:30 p.m. – 9:00p.m. at Full Moon Saloon on Main Street Indian Motorcycle invites all owners – past, current and future – to be the first to hear an exclusive announcement from Mike Wolfe, star of “American Pickers”, at the Indian Motorcycle Daytona Beach Kick-Start Party.  The party will be hosted by the Full Moon Saloon.  Owners of any Indian Motorcycle will receive VIP treatment at this event by simply showing their key between 7:30-9:00p.m. at the registration area.  Stay to celebrate with Mike Wolfe as Indian Motorcycle gives away tons of swag and the opportunity for one lucky person in the crowd – owners and bar patrons – to enjoy an “Epic One-Year Demo Ride,” giving them the keys to an Indian Chief for a year-long lease.

Indian Motorcycle Owner Exclusive Meet & Greet with Mike Wolfe, star of “American Pickers. Sunday March 9 – 9 – 10 a.m. at the Indian Motorcycle Main Street Store, 506 Main Street. Join Indian Motorcycle for the filming of a special owner video with Mike Wolfe from American Pickers. Be a part of this exciting event that will later be shared with riders across the globe.  Owners simply come to the front of the store at 9 a.m. and be prepared to show your key for VIP “before-hours” access to the store and scene!

Indian-Motorcycle-Lifestyle-1948-Chief-3Indian Motorcycle “Panel of Firsts”. Thursday, March 13 – 2 – 3 p.m. at the Daytona International Speedway – Indian Motorcycle Midway Display. Indian Motorcycle owners past and present are encouraged to take part in a special interview recording session at the Indian Midway Display at the Speedway.  Owners’ stories are important; they add to Indian’s rich and unique history.  Participation is open to all Indian Motorcycle owners who own bikes from 1901 to 2014.

Indian Motorcycle Owner’s Daytona Pin. Owners of new and heritage Indian motorcycles can show their key to receive an exclusive commemorative 2014 Daytona Bike Week pin at all Indian Motorcycle locations throughout Bike Week (while supplies last).  Owners are encouraged to watch their email and social media for additional information and invitations.

37 Responses to “Daytona Bike Week 2014. Events To Honor Past, Present And Future Indian Motorcycle Owners”

1. 1 Rodent Mar 2nd, 2014 at 9:45 am

Sounds like the tribe will be very active in Daytona. Does anybody got the sales figures for the Indian?

2. 2 Blackmax Mar 2nd, 2014 at 11:14 am

This is the kind of interactive stiff you are going to see in the future
    from Indian / (Polaris). Bringing in the riders/buyer to fell like they are part of something
    H-D marketing strategy for decades, if it ain’t broke don;t try to fix it
    Indian is for real & they are here to stay !!!!

3. 3 BobS Mar 2nd, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Rodent, there’s maybe a handful of people in Minnesota that know sales figures and they don’t talk.

4. 4 James just another crazy Kiwi Mar 2nd, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Competition is good, hopefully will spur Harley Davidson along

I know it is semantics but I’m not sure if Indian were the “First” Motor Cycle company in the States.
    Orient-Aster may have been early as well as some others. Proprietary motors stuck in a heavy Bi-cycle frame ( obviously they could be ridden both ways)
    Triumph was way ahead of the USA (1898) and is still producing a more diverse range than Indian and HD put together.
    Remember when we were under a full and total attack by the Japanese ?, no not 1941 or earlier as it was for the British Empire.
    The 70’s and 80’s Motorcycle attack, when so much time was invested by magazines telling us that HD and Triumph were about to go under and we would be eating rice for a thousand years.
    I still have those articles and the same said magazines now suck up to HD and Triumph to a lesser extent.
    There was one USA publication that stood by the greasy non metric oil and tattoo covered stalwarts but even they became turn coats and followed the big buck billet queen RUB’s.(you know who you are)
    Personally I Have now come and gone from contemporary fashion a number of times by not changing.
    .Bet there are a number that read this Magazine that will know what I’m a saying.

5. 5 LoneRider Mar 2nd, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Why continue to call them the oldest? They were out of buisness for decades, and who knows if they will be around in another decade, They haven’t in any other incarnation.

6. 6 Terence Tory Mar 2nd, 2014 at 7:20 pm

“Indian Motorcycle, America’s first motorcycle company”? The first production motorcycle in the US was the Orient-Aster.

7. 7 Sharkey Mar 2nd, 2014 at 8:43 pm

How about “Indian Motocycle”, the NAME of one of America’s early motorcycle companies?

8. 8 Doc Robinson Mar 3rd, 2014 at 7:30 am

While in the useless hair splitting department, it was true that Waltham Manufacturing’s 1900 Orient Light Roadster and “Orient-Aster” were America’s first mass-production motor driven cycles, however, the Aster motor was built by the French firm of Ateliers de Construction Mecanique l’Aster in Saint-Denis, France. The Orient-Aster’s power-plant was a 138cc single-cylinder gasoline powered motor producing 1/2 horsepower. The Orient-Aster was produced only until 1904. So, with its very short lived history and its imported motor, to call it America’s first production motorcycle company is a bit of a stretch. By contrast, both Indian and Harley-Davidson can claim to be truly American mass production motorcycle companies.

9. 9 Woody Mar 3rd, 2014 at 9:14 am

Love the bigger front tire on the “real” Indian 😉

10. 10 Lyle Landstrom Mar 3rd, 2014 at 9:21 am

There were others prior to Indian besoides the Orient. Marsh for example was selling complete motorcycles by 1900, perhaps even 1899, with their own carburetors, engine, spark plugs etc. Indian’s prototype in 1901 used either a DeDion engine or a direct copy of one and I don’t think they really started selling complete bikes until 1902. Even their own literature from the 20’s and 30’s lists the first year as 1902. Harley isn’t even in the picture as they didn’t sell complete bikes until 1905. Everything prior to that was either engine castings or prototypes. Not to take away from Indian but to state they were America’s fist MC is pure BS. And neither one can claaim to be the first mass produced one either as there were companies prior to both selling hundreds a year. Neither Indian or HD was selling hundreds in either 1901 or 1903, the years they started. I’m glad Polairis has control on the name as I thinki they can actually do something positive with it, and so far they have, but the hype about being the first manufacturer is just a turn off to me. Indian is too good a name to tarnish with BS.

11. 11 BobS Mar 3rd, 2014 at 9:37 am

Good Lord. People are born once and die forever. (apologoes to any Hindu’s) Companies are just a name on a piece of paper whose rights to use can be bought and sold forever. Harley is not owned by the same people who started it, ownership has changed many times. Harley does not make the same bikes, build them in the same factory, or built by the same people who built them 100 years ago. Indian is America’s first motorcycle company. No reason to get all butt hurt that Polaris is taking advantage of that with their marketing. So Indian has stopped and started production multiple times. Whoopty doo! Harley has stopped and started production of decent motorcycles several times too. Only that company in it’s various forms of ownership managed to produce and sell crap inbetween decent motorcycles. Anyone that has to stretch that far to find a reason to admire and be loyal to a corporate for profit entity has redifined Kool Aid drinking.

12. 12 Woody Mar 3rd, 2014 at 11:14 am

@Bob, don’t you think you’re stretching even farther to defend Polaris Indian’s indefensible claims? Harley never went under and went stopped selling bikes-it has no comparison at all. Just because a name never goes away doesn’t mean writing a check to bring production back from the dead means the company never died. It’s pretty lame to use a line like, “stopped and started production of decent motorcycles several times too” as if that’s what happened to Indian. If the Mexican plant making Fiat 500’s starts slapping the Studebaker nameplate on them, did Studebaker never go away? Like Lyle said, the hype is a turnoff.

13. 13 BobS Mar 3rd, 2014 at 11:29 am

@Woody, no I don’t think I’m stretching or defending. Like I said, Whoopty doo! That’s not a defense of an indefensible act, that’s an observation of the reality of the situation. Yes, should someone or some company procure the rights to the name Studebaker and began production again that in itself wouldn’t mean the name never went away, the fact that the name has never gone away is what makes that so. It’s just a name, on a piece of paper. It’s neither born nor does it die. Again, people, or other living things, are what’s born and what dies, If Harley “never went under” then bankruptcy papers were never drawn and government bailouts were never secured right? I wouldn’t buy an Indian just because they’ve never taken a government bailout anymore that I would buy a Harley because of a certain number of years of uninterrupted production. Polaris owns America’s first motorcycle company. Harley owns America’s longest continuous production motorcycle company. Whoopty doo! Which one rides better?

14. 14 JimG Mar 3rd, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Anybody have any idea why Daytona Indian closed its doors 1 week before Bike Week?

15. 15 Woody Mar 3rd, 2014 at 3:00 pm

@Bob There’s plenty of topics neither one of us have commented on so I guess it IS a big whoopty, but I’ll play along. We’ll never agree, but at least we can understand each other. I feel your basic premise of, “It’s just a name, on a piece of paper” has nothing to do with it. IMHO it’s not just a name in the way Polaris is clinging to it. No name ever goes away, but companies do. Indian went away a long time ago. It makes no sense to compare it to Harley quality or who has it’s wallet, that’s just a smokescreen to avoid staying on topic. Please don’t take that to be any kind of loyal crush on Harley, 2 of the 3 worst bikes I ever owned were H-Ds . Nothing personal against you, we just don’t agree ☺

16. 16 Terence Tory Mar 3rd, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Woody,H-D did go down and was within a few hours of going to the junkyard of history before Beales and co bought it.

To describe Indian or Harley as “mass produced” is stretching it to the limit in the early years.In some years both produced about as many bikes as you could fit on a small truck.

17. 17 James just another crazy Kiwi Mar 3rd, 2014 at 6:02 pm

The reality is Indian is owner by Polaris a “Corporate”
    They would sue your buttocks to to the straits of Magellan if you made a false claim about them or dare do something they assumed was under their naming rights.

As a result they have to work under the same expectations.
    Do not fabricate or lie about a the great history you already have Mr Indian

Lyle is completely right and Indian was not first.

HD were the last large scale motorcycle producer in the USA for a long time and they kept going through some very miserable times.Quality control was non existent and prices were over the top.

Loyalty won them time and then the endeavour’s of a small number of big risk takers. (phew)

It is nice Indian is back and even though they are just another large and all powerful corporate that will only care about profit, I wish them well.

Just remember if HD had failed , maybe just maybe there would be no large Motorcylce manufacturing in the USA.. Your Govt just bailed out large parts of your Car industry……remember

I bought a new HD in 83 and a short time later the crank pin shit itself.
    Over here the warranty did not even cover labour or that was what I was told.
    At least after 6 months any way.
    BUT I still keep on buying them and to me loyalty is something that cannot be bought or coerced through lies

18. 18 BobS Mar 3rd, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I went looking for a new SUV not long ago and practically fell in love with a brand new Jeep. It had power, comfort, loaded with features, looks damn cool, and can off road like a mother. I was talking about it with my buddy who says, “What, are you crazy!?! Jeep’s been dead and brought back to life over and over again. It’s been through at least half a dozen owners, and some of them not even American! Ford on the other hand was the first American car maker with an assembly line (also not true). They’ve been around 30 years longer than Jeep, continuous ownership and manufacturing. That’s heritage and soul my friend. Anyone who can’t see that just doesn’t understand.” So I guess to hell with Jeep, we should all just buy Escape’s and revel in it’s soul that it apparently shares in common with a 1913 Model T.
    Maybe that makes my perspective a little more clear?

19. 19 BlkBkr Mar 3rd, 2014 at 7:06 pm

@James HD took bailout money in 2008 and 2009 to the tune of 2.3 Billion dollars. If we are going to split hairs we must be clear that if not for the US government bailing HD out on a number of occasions (80’s trade tariffs and the previously mentioned 2.3B) we would be having this discussion about HD and not Indian. And if Polaris had bought HD in 2012 would there be the same negative passion about the marketing tactics that Polaris is using with Indian?

20. 20 Woody Mar 3rd, 2014 at 7:23 pm

@ TT per normal, your response to me was as relevant as saying, “I like cake” 🙂 Harley didn’t go out of business anymore than GM did.

21. 21 James just another crazy Kiwi Mar 3rd, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Hi BlkBkr,
    But they did manage to keep on going and if I remember they asked for the tariffs to be stopped early. To much fanfare and a rather great propaganda coup it was.

Some of HD’s marketing does annoy me but nothing like the negative advertising that Polaris used telling me that if I owned a Road King it was only a fad and I was not a true biker .
    I still have that add and I am going to blow it up and frame it and put in my garage.

F##K them

If Polaris had bought HD in going order it would have been interesting and completely different ! Rather than resurrecting a long abused and sometimes dead motorcycle brand.
    People would of been reasonably accepting. But the Family is still involved and I like that and HD even though a corporate too is something special.

Competition is good, but I do admit I find it odd to find so many knockers of Harley Davidson in the USA.
    Be proud of a great Motorcycle and it’s legacy.
    Many are down here in the Antipodes

22. 22 .357 Magnum Mar 3rd, 2014 at 10:15 pm

If they’re trying to market themselves as “first” or “oldest,” it’s only fair that they have criticism heaped on them. If they just enjoyed the pretty logos they purchased, and shut the hell up about the “heritage” of the brand, that would be respectable. But when they try to use it to manipulate people into buying, or to set up “us-vs-them” marketing campaigns, it is right and good that every time they open their mouths, a thousand voices shout back:

“Can you name a motorcycle company that has gone OUT of business more than you? Your legacy is one of FAILURE!”

I am the target market for an Indian motorcycle. I am of the age and means to buy new bikes, and to consider styling as a major factor in my buying decisions. I own more than one motorcycle at any given time. But I do not waste my attention on companies who seem to be after the small-penis-need-to-compensate market. When they get the chips off their shoulders and market on the strength of their design, build quality, and style, rather than being little yapping dogs, I’ll take them seriously and give them a solid look.

Until then, for a 113-year-old company (*cough*), they sure have a lot of growing up to do.

23. 23 Terence Tory Mar 3rd, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Woody,H-D were once functionally bankrupt and production had stopped.Vaughn Beales and partners stepped in and bought it with only about five hours to spare until the whole lot would have been divided up and sold off.

Woody,go do your home work.

H-D,only hours from liquidation,and bought in the knick of time by others,sure seems to be so close as to “out of business” as you can get,not to matter any.

H-D engaged in techniques against Indian back in the day and H-D always got along to Washington with a hand out for military contracts,loans,bailouts and tariff protection.Without corporation welfare H-D probably would have dived back in the day well before Indian closed.

GM was not out of business,just in business with no hope at all of doing any further business.That’s until the big bad socialist brother Prez Obama jumped in and bought a big billion chunk so it could continue.

24. 24 James just another crazy Kiwi Mar 4th, 2014 at 4:06 am

Completely agree with THREE FIFTY SEVEN MAGNUM

When they first started advertising it was negative advertising telling me I was only a light weight and not a true biker because I ride a road King !! well I kept that advert and it will be enlarged , framed and put on the Toilet wall.

BlkBkr if you want to look at a company that has gone broke many times look at Indian.
    Bailed out by Dupont and kept afloat and that is along time ago !
    HD asked for the tariffs to be lifted before they ran out.
    What a great headlines that made.
    If HD had been bought by Polaris they would of not had to make up a legend.
    HD’s legend stands by it’s self, needs no fabrication or negative advertising

In this world it pays to show respect not childish jibes, that negative advertising blew it for me.
    But competition is good !

I wrote a note before and it has not turned up so might have been inflammatory….A…Cyril
    This is the tunned down version

25. 25 BobS Mar 4th, 2014 at 8:22 am

It’s getting pretty thick in here. First point for James, Harley “asked” for the tariffs to be lifted early because they once again needed money and the Japanese were the ones willing to loan it. Asking for the tarriffs to be lifted was a condition of the loan garuntees. Asking for tariff protection multiple times, asking for bailouts multiple times, asking for federal contracts multiple times…sticking your hand out that often is nothing to be proud of. As for the man-girl sensitivity surrounding Polaris ad campaigns have you guys ever looked at a Harley ad campaign? Do you have ANY idea how many times some d-bag (including H-D dealers!) have asked me when I’m going to get a “real” bike or told me my bike is a wannabe Harley? (for the record I never wannabe on a slow bike) I’m going to predict the answer is no, you have no idea how often that happens. It just so happens the small-penis, need-to-compensate market maks up a HUGE segment of the American motorcycle buying market. Right now Harley OWNS that market and Polaris wants a piece of it. There’s tons of profit in it and that’s why both companies are in business.They’ll never get a piece of it with “You meet the nicest people on an Indian” campaign. They will get it by marketing just like Harley has been marketing for decades now.

26. 26 Woody Mar 4th, 2014 at 8:52 am

I get it, TT-you like cake. 🙂

27. 27 Bludog Mar 4th, 2014 at 11:22 am

Back to JimG’s comment, first I’ve heard of the Daytona Indian shop closing up. Could be to prepare for Mike Wolfe? Anybody with any current information, they’re still on the web?

28. 28 Larry Lamonaco Mar 4th, 2014 at 11:32 am

Looks like TT is off his meds again

29. 29 .357 Magnum Mar 4th, 2014 at 12:10 pm

BobS, what was the last marketing campaign you saw from Harley whose message was, paraphrased, “buy our product INSTEAD OF their product?”

Polaris isn’t stupid enough to market their Victories that way. Victory ads are just like Harley ads: photos of pretty bikes in pretty settings, maybe a bit of aspirational imagery, but never giving other companies or marques a mention.

They DID go full idiot with their Indian advertising, though, which is especially ill-advised since they cannot compete. They don’t have a competitive offering vs. CVOs; they don’t have a full-dress bagger to compete with the Ultra/Limited/RG Ultra, nor do they have competitors for Dynas or Sportsters. They are not an “INSTEAD OF” brand; they are an “IN ADDITION TO” brand. Their marketers need to be aware of that, and advertise accordingly. If they think they want to force me to choose, they ain’t gonna like the results.

30. 30 BobS Mar 4th, 2014 at 1:08 pm

.357…Pretty much all of them. Every Harley ad, every coke or pepsi ad, every Ford or Chevy ad, every republican or democrat ad, every Target or Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes…they are all trying to convince me that I’m better off with their product or service vs their competitor. That’s how marketing works. Some are blatant like the soft drinks and trucks, some lean more towards the subliminal message. How do I declare my independence and freedom, by purchasing a motorcycle? No…by purchasing a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. Implicit in their marketing campaigns is that their brand is better than any other brand. I can’t be independent or free on a Honda or Victory, or Indian, etc. I have to buy a Harley.
    Also, Polaris IS smart enough to market Vics this way. A couple years ago they had a challenge tour. A truck brought one of their baggers and one of their cruisers along with a Harley SG and Dyna so buyers could ride them back to back. It was a blatant us vs them campaign and they set a sales record that year. It led to their current, more subliminal, “Ride one and you’ll own one” campaign. Implicit in that message is ride one and you’ll see it’s a better bike than the competition.
    Bottom line you don’t see guys with chevy trucks enlarging and framing a Ford ad as a sarcastic shrine to Chevy because Ford said something in an ad about Chevys that he didn’t like. As I said, I made a choice in bikes for personal reasons and have since heard innumerable unkind comments regarding my choice. Probably 90% of those comments from Harley riders or salesman who’ve never met me before. My skin is thick, I don’t care if another rider, dealer, or corporate competitor implies or flat out states that I bought an inferior bike. That’s their opinion and they’re welcome to it. Welcome to the real world.

31. 31 .357 Magnum Mar 5th, 2014 at 3:05 pm

BobS, I guess by “pretty much all of them,” you must be admitting that you can’t think of any specifically. You made my point: you have to read really, really deeply into some pretty questionable “poetic license” to try to say Harley’s advertising is of the “NOT THOSE OTHER ONES” variety. I do recall a Harley ad recently about “escaping the cage,” which would have been a valid example if my complaint were about bikes vs. cages: they were pretty straightforwardly badmouthing cages.

See how that works? Can you give an example like that a out badmouthing other two-wheeler brands, without misusing the word “imply,” from any time in the past decade?

You can probably type a few more off-point paragraphs, but you will still fail to answer that question, I bet.

32. 32 Blackmax Mar 5th, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I’m with BobS on this one !
    What started out as comments on Daytona Indian events has turned into a spitting contest ???
    Here what I think , if you are going after the biggest kid on the block
    You go straight at him, no holds barred and hopefully you can give as good (or better) as you get .
    (Old school & not so politically correct)
    H-D has ALWAYS been the big kid on the block, no augment
    And anyone who ever ridden a metric, even thought they present no threat to H-D
    has always caught crap from the H-D crowd, Good nature ribbing aside, there is always the under current that you are just not good enough or just not as good as I am ….
    Now there is somebody on the block who has the product & the cojones to challenge the status quo.
    No I’m not a big fan of negative ads, but it kind of gave me a laugh to see Indian go right up against
    H-D. I think this is just the first salvo, definitely more to come …..

33. 33 BobS Mar 5th, 2014 at 7:36 pm

.357 I guees this falls under the “if I have to explain it you wouldn’t understand” catagory. Do you really think the purpose of marketing isn’t to convey the superiority of the product? Try this, click on H-D’s website. Then click on “why H-D” it’s right there in black and white, “Riding a Harley Davidson is unlike riding any other bike because of our attention to detail” There you have it, Harley Davidson claiming their bikes are better than any other bike. No implication, just a straitforward badmouthing of every other brand. Your “implication” that there isn’t a superiority complex surrounding Harley…well if I have to explain it…

34. 34 .357 Magnum Mar 5th, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Yes, you are indeed with BobS on this one: you wrote the paragraphs I expected him to write, and, just as I predicted, utterly failed to name the marketing campaign in which Harley stooped to badmouthing like stupid politicians. Neither does Honda get that stupid with their Gold Wing ads; neither does Yamaha or Triumph or Royal Enfield or etc. etc. etc.

It’s quite simple: what you call “old school & not so politically correct” actually means “juvenile and insecure.” You’re the target market for Indian’s low-IQ advertising. Fine. Enjoy it. I am not.

35. 35 Lyle Landstrom Mar 6th, 2014 at 9:02 am

Geeze guys, can’t we all agree that one method of advertizing is to try to promote your product as better than anyone elses? HD and Indian aren’t the only one promoting they’re the best in some way. I also think that most of us who have been riding for years already know what product we like and aren’t swayed by advertizing too much.

36. 36 Blackmax Mar 6th, 2014 at 6:02 pm

357, please read again BobS entry before yours
    I think it sums it up quite distinctly what the ads say.
    I related the attitude that some riders / shops portray to other non H-D riders
    Everyone buys the bike they ride for one reason or another,
    but nobody should be made to feel bad for the choices that they make.
    Not going to get in a pissing contest with you.
    You have a opinion and that’s ok, but to sink to name calling
    when someone opinion or life experience is different than yours?
    That, my friend, is truly juvenile and insecure….

37. 37 Zipper Mar 9th, 2014 at 8:27 am

Most HD riders are proud to ride the only US made machine in production until reserve years. I think their attitude comes from the way HD deals with them. I can only speak for myself, after 55 years I still don’ find going to HD shop a fun experience. ..Z