1948VincentHRDRapide10001948 Vincent HRD Rapide 1000 Factory Race Special. Photo @ MC News AU.

9 Responses to “Picture Of The Week”

1. 1 TJ Martin Jan 30th, 2015 at 9:12 am

Ain’t nothing in the whole wide world that can put a big smile on my face after that first cup of coffee than a photo of a Vincent . Any Vincent … from stock … to restored .. to customized . Well … OK … maybe there is one thing that can put a bigger smile on my face . This being a ‘ family friendly ‘ site though its probably best I don’t mention that one 😉

2. 2 Zipper Jan 30th, 2015 at 10:02 am

TJ said it all. Too bad it needs a drip pan. Should have removed it before the photo shoot. ..Z

3. 3 Rodent Jan 30th, 2015 at 10:46 am

Could be the “picture of the month or year” great bike!

4. 4 CafeSportyTC Jan 30th, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Such a beautiful motorcycle. everything about it just screams classy

5. 5 B. D. Jan 30th, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Ditto, I see any Vincent twin and I, um, pitch a tent.

But this ain’t no ‘race special’, it’s a standard Rapide with it’s passenger seat.

The legendary higher performance Black Shadow looked about the same but it had a blacked out motor, and ‘race special’ was the Black Lightening, and it sure as hell didn’t have any passenger seat!

Still, it’s a gorgeous bike and I’d gladly give one of Tom Brady’s deflated balls for some time alone with it.

6. 6 nicker Jan 30th, 2015 at 10:35 pm

RE:
    “… Too bad it needs a drip pan…”

Not at all.
    That simply means its a runner.
    As it should be….. 🙂

-nicker-

7. 7 BCinSoCal Jan 31st, 2015 at 11:21 am

Drip pan….Late 60s I had two Limies a Knucklehead and a Morgan in my garage, it was wall to wall drip pans….

8. 8 SIGFREED Feb 2nd, 2015 at 7:52 am

Like any old model – a bedpan comes as part of the territory.

Any Vincent of this kind (ie all the derivatives – sometimes only the true enthusiast will note the differences – as B.D. above) are achingly beautiful, BUT, achingly painful to ride.

The rear seat linkage is effectively connected to the rear wheel – in reality making it a rigid; a very fast one and a very solid one. The bike pivots in the center (before the seat) – eg a bit like a softail with the seat connected to the swingarm and not the frame. Trust me, riding it for more than ten miles, you have an acute case of rigor mortis buttocks.

I am no Vincent expert, but as far as I know the “D” series did mount the seat from the frame, some say it was the finest of the Vincent’s – sadly also some of the “The Last” (as far as I know).

9. 9 Stony Crane Feb 9th, 2015 at 10:18 am