Norton Motorcycles To Unveil Brand-New V4 Superbike In November

Norto1nOn November 16, British manufacturer Norton Motorcycles will finally unveil a production sport bike with a brand new 1200 cc V4 engine and a tubular aluminum frame, both built in-house. The new Norton V4 is based on the Isle of Man SG5 racera. This high-end model is designed, developed and built in its Donington Hall factory.

Little is known about the motorcycle’s engine apart from its V4 configuration and 1200 cc capacity. Stuart Garner, the man who resurrected Norton in 2008, revealed last year his plans for a V4 superbike and a 650 twin. Since then most information is based on reports from the English media, which implies that the V4 is angled at 72 degrees and produces around 200 hp (149.1 kW) – the typical standard of all modern superbikes. The engine is designed and developed in-house by Norton and is expected to be loaded with electronics.

NortonbisThe frame consists of twin aluminum tubes on each side and is also fabricated at Donington Hall. Norton acquired English frame specialists Spondon a few years ago, allowing it to up its game in its frame department. The technical savvy of the new designers was put to work long before the new V4 left the drawing boards, as they developed the prototype chassis for the SG racer that Norton has run for the past five years at the Isle of Man TT (above). The new model’s price is still a mystery,

Last year Norton received government funding intended to help the company unfold its expansion strategy and assist in the development of the British Motorcycle Manufacturing Academy. Its plans include the development of a 650 cc liquid-cooled in-line twin engine that will probably be based on the two front cylinders of the new V4 engine. This is intended to power a series of more-affordable models that will cement Norton’s return to mass production.

11 Responses to “Norton Motorcycles To Unveil Brand-New V4 Superbike In November”

1. 1 18Bravo Oct 26th, 2016 at 10:48 am

Well it ain’t your granddaddy’s Norton for sure. I’m certainly interested, having owned a couple of V4 powered V65s back in the day.

2. 2 Chief Waldo Oct 26th, 2016 at 11:03 am

“Stuart Garner, the man who resurrected Norton in 2008…”
    I think, just the way Polaris fails to give credit to IMC, in Gilroy California for reorganizing the Indian brand into a viable name again, Norton is failing to give credit to Kenny Dreer and his investors, in Oregon, who rescued the Norton brand.

But, it’ll freakin’ cool seeing a Norton superbike!

3. 3 TJ Martin Oct 26th, 2016 at 11:31 am

Question is .. in light of the fact that so far the Norton revival has been all but non-existent [ outside of the media ] .. what with sales languishing and bikes collecting dust in what few showrooms they’re available in across the globe .. as well as luxury brand sales across the spectrum from watches to cars and all places in between on the wane worldwide .. does this really matter ?And will it make even the slightest difference ? Sadly .. I kind of doubt it … sigh …….

4. 4 Jeff Duval Oct 27th, 2016 at 7:17 am

Yes TJM and… “more of the same” as milked to beyond the core by the Japs and the Italians 😉 Gimme Triumph’s flair everyday 🙂 …

5. 5 CWGLIDE Oct 27th, 2016 at 12:41 pm

Interesting comment Chief. I often thought of that, I was with IMC back in the day and wondered the same thing.

6. 6 CWGLIDE Oct 27th, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Norton took 15th in Superbike class at 2016 Isle of Man not bad considering, up against the Japanese bikes. Be interesting to see what kind of statement Norton will make in the 2017 TT Isle of Man given 2017 will be their inaugural release of the new Norton

7. 7 Dicky Lee Oct 27th, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Having ridden the tt course for many laps now I can understand That unlike your normal race circuits the isle of man is in a league of its own.
    Its not the rider or the bike.
    Its the right rider on the right bike on the right day.
    Is this how BMW have had recent success?
    Unlikely
    With budgets almost non existent in The Houses Of Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha these days its a much easier ask. Even Kawasaki are winning races…………..

I wish Norton Luck on the track and the high street.

I would prefer a Norton every day to the mild looks of a Triumph.

I ride an SP1 that I bought new in 2001 and if the above picture is a true likeness of what is going to be on sale I can honestly say it is the first bike I have seen since 2001 that has got my spending finger twitching.

8. 8 domino Oct 28th, 2016 at 5:58 am

……………….. Go Norton ,,, can’t wait to see the liquid cooled in line twin ……………….

…………………………………….Domino Dave…………………………………

9. 9 nicker Oct 29th, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Certainly a nice looking scooter…….

-nicker-

10. 10 Lee Oct 31st, 2016 at 8:52 am

I’m not sure if this new bike will do the trick or not, they still have issues with the “Commando” I would have thought take president. This new idea I believe runs not a developed Norton engine is in fact an Aprilia engine with modified electronics… I’m not holding my breath…

11. 11 study Dec 11th, 2016 at 10:21 am

If you are going for most excellent contents like myself, only pay a quick visit this website all the time as it
    gives feature contents, thanks