Words Of The Week

You all know that Harley-Davidson is focused on promoting motorcycle riding in the U.S.

Harley CEO Levatich told analysts on a conference call Tuesday January 1st.

“Now more than ever, we’re not only in the business of building great motorcycles. We’re in the business of building riders”

8 Responses to “Words Of The Week”

1. 1 highrpm Feb 2nd, 2017 at 1:48 pm

@ $5.2M, i’d argue that mark’s compensation plays into the motivational context as much or more as building great motorcycles and building riders. until american style capitalism public-style — i.e. wall-street — can bring executive comps back in balance with their proletariat hourlys, they can keep their products. i stick with my bicycle and “leave no trace.”

2. 2 the slob Feb 2nd, 2017 at 9:32 pm

My Dad buying me a 5hp Briggs & Stratton minibike when i was six years old did more to build a rider than some overpaid CEO could ever do….stick with building great bikes,dude

3. 3 Rick Dorfmeyer Feb 3rd, 2017 at 8:25 am

Everyone who reads this blog , rides, or runs a business in the Powersports business, large or small should evangelize for the sport. We need more riders. Your sport needs you.

4. 4 rebel Feb 3rd, 2017 at 9:46 am

i too got a 5hp mini bike (lil’ indian) when i could barely hold it up and never looked back.

5. 5 Highrider Feb 6th, 2017 at 3:54 am

Well, he may have a gigantic problem to solve as the millennials wants and needs do not seem to be the same as the Boomers they got no spunk ( or at least a lot of em)

Marketing needs to think out of the box on this one.

6. 6 SYF Feb 6th, 2017 at 10:36 am

I agree that dads buying their skids a mini bike is the best way to build new bikers. I love my dad for that.

7. 7 Batterycap Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:20 am

Maybe its the case where you come from, but i think this whole theme of millennials being soft is a bunch of hooey. No doubt there are some that look like complete idiots. The press plays them up to be representative of all.

The press is as correct about this as they were when they said Hilly had a 96% chance of being President.

I see a lot of young folks doing all they can to get by in a country that has left them with a vastly smaller amount of good paying manufacturing jobs. When I was a kid in a little town in Georgia, your couldn’t swing a dead cat without hitting a manufacturing job. Now, in my hometown, they are gone. If you have a job, it’s working in a restaurant or moving away – far away.

This will change, because it has to change.

8. 8 DanDaMotorcycleMan Feb 6th, 2017 at 3:00 pm

In the business of building mechanics is more like it.